Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zenobia is probably the strongest blade in the game that isn't named Mythra so yeah, you should probably get her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

voltcatfish posted:

Zenobia is probably the strongest blade in the game that isn't named Mythra so yeah, you should probably get her

She's completely RNG based right? I've just got to throw core crystals at a character and pray?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zoran posted:

Dagas is arguably better than both, though whether his team damage boost outweighs Zenobia's solo damage depends heavily on your teammates' blades,

Dagas is fire though, making him less useful for combos. I really liked Agate for that.
That said I never got Zenobia. All my blades were unlocked on character 5 because I had stuff to boost his luck.

Not being able to swap blades around makes the gatcha system the most painful I think. It meant beyond Leftheria I never really used any new blades with the exception of a few quest related ones.

quote:

She's completely RNG based right? I've just got to throw core crystals at a character and pray?
Boosting luck helps. But basically yea! Have fun.
Might take 1 core, might take 200.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Taear posted:

Dagas is fire though, making him less useful for combos. I really liked Agate for that.
That said I never got Zenobia. All my blades were unlocked on character 5 because I had stuff to boost his luck.

Not being able to swap blades around makes the gatcha system the most painful I think. It meant beyond Leftheria I never really used any new blades with the exception of a few quest related ones.

Boosting luck helps. But basically yea! Have fun.

I didn't boost luck for her but I did use truth boosters (just enough to make truth the highest Stat on 5, who was doing all my opening by that time because it worked out that all the remaining blades were for him). I experimented with boosting luck before that and felt like it was hooey. The boosters seem to have a small if measurable effect. Ymmv.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So Rex's is optimal setup is what? Pyra/Roc/Xenobia then? So he can do the full driver combo?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

So Rex's is optimal setup is what? Pyra/Roc/Xenobia then? So he can do the full driver combo?

Sort of sure. It's situational. If you look at some of my earlier posts I talk about an alternate setup that I got through the last part of the game and the post game with. But that's a perfectly good setup, yes. It does hamper elemental coverage though. There really is no "optimal" setup here I don't think.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

I didn't boost luck for her but I did use truth boosters (just enough to make truth the highest Stat on 5, who was doing all my opening by that time because it worked out that all the remaining blades were for him). I experimented with boosting luck before that and felt like it was hooey. The boosters seem to have a small if measurable effect. Ymmv.

The game does specifically say that boosting luck helps. It's the only thing we know for certain.
Remember that there are people who've got every blade (apparently) without using boosters. That isn't to say they're not useful because my rares mostly came from times I used boosters.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Natural 20 posted:

Mythra has better passives than Pyra, and light is a really rare element. He gets other Launch options without doubling up on elements, as well.

I preferred putting Zenobia on Five. Actually I preferred using Five instead of Rex in general. :colbert: I had Rex benched after chapter 7 or so.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

Mythra has better passives than Pyra, and light is a really rare element. He gets other Launch options without doubling up on elements, as well.

I preferred putting Zenobia on Five. Actually I preferred using Five instead of Rex in general. :colbert: I had Rex benched after chapter 7 or so.

I mean, Pyra and Mythra use the same slot and you can instantly swap them. Its still worth using Pyra for fire combos even if Mythra is the bread and butter combat state. Fire is a far more useful element than Light most of the game since Light combos with gently caress all other elements.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

Fire is a far more useful element than Light most of the game since Light combos with gently caress all other elements.

Not really

Plus you already have a fire blade on your tank, probably

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Light speed is so good. I had good success with Rex as a healer with his story healer blade. Used his third slot for an orb master blade. Nice having 5 in your party then but for bigger fights I didn't like being stuck healing instead of having light speed going off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the thing that drives me most bonkers about those combos is there isnt really any pattern to how many enders are each element, how many paths an element gets, or what leads to what.

Like at bare minimum every element should have a combo that is 3 of itself which half do but the other half dont.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Nia's slow blink after he finishes saying the last line was physically painful

They did a pretty good job with her expression there, from my recollection. I remember getting an impression that it was a mix of disappointment/sadness and a sort of acceptance because she knew all along what would happen.

Taear posted:

I feel like 200 is a hilariously low number to throw out as an example of a high number of cores. 2000 would be more realistic.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ytlaya posted:

They did a pretty good job with her expression there, from my recollection. I remember getting an impression that it was a mix of disappointment/sadness and a sort of acceptance because she knew all along what would happen.

I feel like 200 is a hilariously low number to throw out as an example of a high number of cores. 2000 would be more realistic.

And you have to sit through the cutscene 2000 times?

Jesus christ this game is like overall good with so many terrible small decisions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I meant 200 for one blade. Hence "might take 1"!

quote:

I think the thing that drives me most bonkers about those combos is there isnt really any pattern to how many enders are each element, how many paths an element gets, or what leads to what.

Like at bare minimum every element should have a combo that is 3 of itself which half do but the other half dont.

One thousand times this, so often I began a combo and realised I couldn't finish the loving thing!

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 6, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Natural 20 posted:

And you have to sit through the cutscene 2000 times?

Jesus christ this game is like overall good with so many terrible small decisions.

You can skip the cutscene :ssh:.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can skip the cutscene :ssh:.

Not the animation of your character holding the core crystal to their heart and experiencing the three flashes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The flashes are also completely pointless and only serve to tease you. Just because a silhouette showed up in the first two flashes, doesn't mean that you can't get that particular blade from this roll.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The flashes are just to mask loading

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Xarbala posted:

The flashes are just to mask loading

I wish it let you use cores in bulk.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The flashes are also completely pointless and only serve to tease you. Just because a silhouette showed up in the first two flashes, doesn't mean that you can't get that particular blade from this roll.

You always get the third blade. Always. Every single time. So when it flashes Newt or Zenobia or Dagas (or any of the other blades with easily recognizable silhouettes) at you in the first two, you know you aren't getting them. It's bullshit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

bizarre deformity posted:

You always get the third blade. Always. Every single time. So when it flashes Newt or Zenobia or Dagas (or any of the other blades with easily recognizable silhouettes) at you in the first two, you know you aren't getting them. It's bullshit.

Not true with regards to the first two flashes taking blades out of the pool. For me, Finch's silhouette showed up in the first flash, and they showed up again in the third flash, so I got them. Same thing happened with Boreas. He showed in the second flash, and then again in the third flash when I got him. The first two flashes are meaningless.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, when I finally got Zenobia she was the first and third flash as well

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, when I finally got Zenobia she was the first and third flash as well

:same:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
When I got Zenobia I wasn't even paying attention because I was watching TV and just opening cores in handheld mode

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taear posted:

I meant 200 for one blade. Hence "might take 1"!

If you're aiming for a specific blade, I'd still up that number a whole bunch. From what I recall, someone mentioned that the statistics work in a way that means you have the same chance of drawing a specific rare no matter how many rares you've previously gotten, which means that the fewer rares you have left, the lower your chance of drawing one of the remaining rares.

To put it another way, rather than there being an X% chance of drawing "any rare," there's an Y% chance of drawing each specific rare, meaning there's literally half the chance of drawing a rare when you have just one rare left than when you have 2 rares left.

So if you have one specific blade left that you want to get, I wouldn't be surprised if it took at least 500 cores on average to acquire them (obviously with some variation due to luck stat or whatever, though I don't think it would ever go below at least a few hundred).

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Ytlaya posted:

If you're aiming for a specific blade, I'd still up that number a whole bunch. From what I recall, someone mentioned that the statistics work in a way that means you have the same chance of drawing a specific rare no matter how many rares you've previously gotten, which means that the fewer rares you have left, the lower your chance of drawing one of the remaining rares.

To put it another way, rather than there being an X% chance of drawing "any rare," there's an Y% chance of drawing each specific rare, meaning there's literally half the chance of drawing a rare when you have just one rare left than when you have 2 rares left.

So if you have one specific blade left that you want to get, I wouldn't be surprised if it took at least 500 cores on average to acquire them (obviously with some variation due to luck stat or whatever, though I don't think it would ever go below at least a few hundred).

How was a system like this ever even considered, much less made it's way into the final game? Dozens of people looked at this horrific gacha system and thought "This will make our game better."

Also Dahlia...CHRIST that thing is disturbing.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I asked this in the Switch thread but I'm still not sue, I just reached chapter ten and I'm wondering if I should do all the sidequests I want to do now or carry on with the story? I'm I able to do all the sidequests and blade quests I want in the postgame?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Starsnostars posted:

I asked this in the Switch thread but I'm still not sue, I just reached chapter ten and I'm wondering if I should do all the sidequests I want to do now or carry on with the story? I'm I able to do all the sidequests and blade quests I want in the postgame?

The postgame just puts you back right before the final boss, but now you have a medal next to your time that indicates you beat the game. You can still do everything you could have done if you went to do it before the last boss. I think the only thing beating the game does is open up access to postgame bosses.

vague after the final boss spoilers: Stuff happens after the fight/credits that doesn't really make it feasible to continue from afterwards

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Thanks I think I'll beat the game before trying to watch all the silly blade cutscenes I haven't seen yet.

Also, would people recommend the expansion pass? I know lots of it isn't out yet but I've enjoyed the game and I think I'd like more of it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No real point in the expansion pass until they give details on what the story expansion actually is, which isn't until late this year.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

IcePhoenix posted:

The postgame just puts you back right before the final boss, but now you have a medal next to your time that indicates you beat the game. You can still do everything you could have done if you went to do it before the last boss. I think the only thing beating the game does is open up access to postgame bosses.

vague after the final boss spoilers: Stuff happens after the fight/credits that doesn't really make it feasible to continue from afterwards

The postgame bosses can trigger in annoying places though, one spawns right on top of a required location for Nim's sidequest.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Starsnostars posted:

Thanks I think I'll beat the game before trying to watch all the silly blade cutscenes I haven't seen yet.

Also, would people recommend the expansion pass? I know lots of it isn't out yet but I've enjoyed the game and I think I'd like more of it.

The new quests are kinda fun, and the free items are nice. But if you are on the fence you should wait for more details.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Bird Law posted:

Also Dahlia...CHRIST that thing is disturbing.

I'll be honest, her accent threw me harder than her "costume."
It felt more out of place in the game than being a boob-monster.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Belgian Waffle posted:

I'll be honest, her accent threw me harder than her "costume."
It felt more out of place in the game than being a boob-monster.

Please. Rabbit-boob-monster.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Finally got all of the drat rare blades. I don't even want to admit the sheer amount of cores it took to get the last of them, at the very least I got 5 million in battle drop gold alone from core farming for them.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

shortspecialbus posted:

Please. Rabbit-boob-monster.

You forgot about the massive man-hands.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So I'm around Chapter 5 now.

I thought the voice acting would break me, but it didn't and I'm growing to like the characters.

Rex especially, which stuns me. He's basically generic anime protagonist, but he's so goddamn earnest that it's really hard not to just like the guy.

And I can see his entire relationship with Pyra is headed straight for some sort of disaster, but drat, I really want to see what kinda of disaster that is.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I like his Salvager's Code, which I've decided he makes up on the spot because he likes rhyming at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I like his Salvager's Code, which I've decided he makes up on the spot because he likes rhyming at times.

Really the best is when he (chapter 10 spoiler)spouts it off to the architect