Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I cannot wait to embrace the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

One more for bae blades

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I cannot wait to inject this high grade anime straight into my veins.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Good job on your first thread, Sam Faust! I am proud of you.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Wasn't too happy about the super weeb character designs but then I remembered XC1 was my favorite modern JRPG until it was unseated by the anime-as-gently caress Persona 5 - so maybe all the series needs is more anime to retake the throne.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Really looking forward to this game but after XCX I'm gonna wait and hear what people have to say about it on release. Gotta pick up a Switch first too, but at least there's already more stuff I'm interested in on it than there was during the whole WiiU life span.

Early previewers said the game was pretty buggy and the English VAs were really, really bad. Also the game down-resses to something like 480p in tablet mode. But everything else has been pretty positive from what I've read so far, people even seem to like Rex/Pyra once the story gets going.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They haven't shown off much of the party beyond the first three pairs, but Zeke is looking pretty glorious between this and his trailer shot being falling off a boat.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/930842882927398913
https://twitter.com/gtcaphi/status/931257598115905536

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so the drivers are the actual party, and all the blades are not except for maybe big titty monado?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so the drivers are the actual party, and all the blades are not except for maybe big titty monado?

Everyone has their main partner Blade and two other slots (except Tora, who isn't a real Driver, so he can only switch between Poppi forms). The bad guys also have unique partner Blades.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Each driver has a "main" blade that seems to be the most story important, but otherwise drivers are the only party members. Blades just augment them and gives them skills

A lot of people liken it to SMT, but for me it's the Persona series specifically that seems to be the closest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So are the Blades NPCs in the world, or items you find in chests and stuff?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Both, I believe. In videos I've seen random NPCs talking about their own blade partners, and outside of the main plot ones you attain them by activating core crystals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I correct in thinking the OST of this will be by the same people as the original Xenoblade Chronicles OST? If so, that's loving great because the original had one of my favorite game soundtracks (and I really, really didn't like the Sawano soundtrack for Chronicles X).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ACE+ is on, yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

grand theft grotto posted:

I was on the fence about this game because I wasn't sure if it would have the charm I felt XC1 did, and this gif pushed me onto the "preorder" side of said fence because of their reactions to that. I am looking forward to fun exploration and a hopefully goofy cast.

That's funny cause my brother has been on the fence about this game and seeing that gif made him scream in frustration. He wouldn't stop ranting about how stupid it is and how the original Xenoblade didn't have anything like that.

Even as someone that generally dislikes anime I feel he's being pretty melodramatic.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Xenoblade would have been more anime if it had had the technology.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Xeno-games have always been varying degrees of anime. Xenoblade 1 merely hid it under character designs that were atypical for the series.

I think I am probably the only one who likes it, but I hope XC2 has the stupidly big character relationship chart. I loved it in 1 and in X

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 22, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anime good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

XB2 is decidedly and more overtly goofy than the other games, but to me that's just a choice on tone and possibly wanting to pull some younger players. Would also explain the game reportedly spending a little more time easing you into the mechanics before setting you loose than usual.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
One thing I find exciting about Xenoblade 2 is that everyone seems to have their own unique thing going on. Rex has the multiple forms of Pyra/Mythica/???. Tora has an entire separate Blade customization subsystem. Dunno if Nia has a combat thing but we know she can ride ByakkoDromarch and get extra items. Not sure what Ultimate gets but I think he's a Luxurian noble or something? Maybe it has something to do with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the relationship chart would have been good if you could put up a map marker to find someone on it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

i bought a switch for this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

the relationship chart would have been good if you could put up a map marker to find someone on it.

Not being able to track down party members in a game with over 20 of them was some shockingly bad design. Especially given they could gently caress off to random parts of the map for heart-to-hearts, and good luck figuring out where those are.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Internet Kraken posted:

That's funny cause my brother has been on the fence about this game and seeing that gif made him scream in frustration. He wouldn't stop ranting about how stupid it is and how the original Xenoblade didn't have anything like that.

Even as someone that generally dislikes anime I feel he's being pretty melodramatic.

Well, yeah, especially considering that Riki had a pretty silly, dare I say anime, intro cutscene too. It doesn't have the cartoony gradient background or the comical pupil-less reaction eyes, but the scenes have the same basic structures.

Unlucky7 posted:

I think I am probably the only one who likes it, but I hope XC2 has the stupidly big character relationship chart. I loved it in 1 and in X

You're not alone. I loved the super huge relationship charts in the first two games as well. I do wish they were a bit easier to use though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gyoru posted:

i bought a switch for this

I bought my Switch when Mario Odyssey came out. I justified it because I was picking up Zelda too, and this is coming out soon, and SMT 5 was announced and I totally want that.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I too will be purchasing a Switch solely because of this game. I'm really feeling it.

I loved both of the previous games. Everything about the first one ruled, whereas the second one had a stupid main plot (lots of wasted potential) but basically the best exploreable game world ever.

I haven't kept tabs on this one too well, just enough to know that there is a Nopon party member again which instantly ensures the game will be at least okay.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ventana posted:

Well, yeah, especially considering that Riki had a pretty silly, dare I say anime, intro cutscene too. It doesn't have the cartoony gradient background or the comical pupil-less reaction eyes, but the scenes have the same basic structures.

It doesn't have exactly the same reaction eyes. It 100% does have cartoon eyes (Riki's X-eyes).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

The Xeno-games have always been varying degrees of anime. Xenoblade 1 merely hid it under character designs that were atypical for the series.

I think I read somewhere that they don't have the big NPC relationship chart in XC2 :( Would be another sad thing to lose if so.
All of the Blades have their own affinity charts and achievements and stuff though, I'm wondering if there will be special heart-to-hearts with any of the other named blades or just the story ones.

I managed to sell another old PCB so I can afford to pick up a Switch finally :buddy: It didn't sound like there were any major black friday deals on them though?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Wendell posted:

Good job on your first thread, Sam Faust! I am proud of you.

Thank you. :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When's the game coming out because I don't see that information in the OP and that is a massive mistake

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Calaveron posted:

When's the game coming out because I don't see that information in the OP and that is a massive mistake

It is in the op, but I'll bold it so it's easier to see at a glance.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I...am gonna buy this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ventana posted:

Yeah I brought up Riki and he said Riki is allowed to do that because he's the cutesy anime mascot. He doesn't care about that as long as everyone else is serious. Riki is also his favorite character.

:shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I brought up Riki and he said Riki is allowed to do that because he's the cutesy anime mascot. He doesn't care about that as long as everyone else is serious. Riki is also his favorite character.

Heropon verycool :colbert:.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Internet Kraken posted:

It may not have been as cute/goofy/whatever as XC2 looks like it could well be, but XC1 sure was plenty anime even aside from stuff like that, I mean a major part of the plot was (XC1 spoilers) The protagonist's friend/love interest dies and his journey is driven in part by wanting revenge and not to lose any more and then she comes back but she's a robot now and there's a love triangle because royalty from a place he stopped on the way fell in love with him and also he's the vessel for a god. It doesn't get much more anime than that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kris xK posted:

I bought a Wii for Xenoblade Chronicles
I bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X
Will I buy a Switch for Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Yup.

I borrowed a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X. :v:

Still going to have high hopes for this magical anime adventure but I'm probably more excited for Octopath because the demo really scratched that old school RPG itch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wasn't going to get a Switch for this game, and I'm still not, but I watched an English language excerpt for this game and was immediately struck by how mismatched it is. I understand they have a voice pack for the original voices, which from what I can tell fit the style of game this is much, much better than the English dub. I'm fine with dubs--prefer them, even--but they have to actually fit what's happening on screen.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this game sells well, Nintendo has been pushing it and I feel like RPGs are making a comeback again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

grand theft grotto posted:

It may not have been as cute/goofy/whatever as XC2 looks like it could well be, but XC1 sure was plenty anime even aside from stuff like that, I mean a major part of the plot was (XC1 spoilers) The protagonist's friend/love interest dies and his journey is driven in part by wanting revenge and not to lose any more and then she comes back but she's a robot now and there's a love triangle because royalty from a place he stopped on the way fell in love with him and also he's the vessel for a god. It doesn't get much more anime than that.

Aaaan that is why "anime" as a descriptor is worthless and meaningless.

Riki isn't great because he's a cutesy fluff ball with wacky eyes or whatever. He owns because he's a dead-beat dad who joins the hero's group to support and protect his seven kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Motto posted:

They haven't shown off much of the party beyond the first three pairs, but Zeke is looking pretty glorious between this and his trailer shot being falling off a boat.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/930842882927398913
https://twitter.com/gtcaphi/status/931257598115905536

So I meant to come back to this when I was home and could look some stuff up: here's what I'm talking about when we talk about Zeke's arts.

He's got one - and this is a Saika art, so it's his default baseline style, there are other almost as silly varieties for his other Blade types - that reads 極・雷神斬光剣・改, that he shouts, in English, "Ultimate Lightning Slash Kai."

Zeke is going to be the best. :allears: