Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Should I just outright skip these side quests with monotonous item grinding or wait till later in the game when, presumably, higher luck makes it go faster?

Also how many quests like this am I in for?

Edit: oh and do I really have to keep running through every treasure, item to pick it up or does it auto pickup after a certain amount of time (like it does with pre cutscene enemies)?

Kin fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

Edit: oh and do I really have to keep running through every treasure, item to pick it up or does it auto pickup after a certain amount of time (like it does with pre cutscene enemies)?

You'll eventually get upgrades that gradually increase the area of pickup. It's not a massive upgrade, but you won't be running right into every single glowing item to collect them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll eventually get upgrades that gradually increase the area of pickup. It's not a massive upgrade, but you won't be running right into every single glowing item to collect them.

Urgh, it's like there was a team of people who looked at Xenoblade Chronicles and tasked themselves with adding annoying things into the sequel.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It looks like I’m gonna have to use Tora and poppi aren’t I? I like tora outside of battle, but good god MEHMEH MEHMEH MEHMHEMMWHMEHEMEJEEBBDDJDJ

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kin posted:

Should I just outright skip these side quests with monotonous item grinding or wait till later in the game when, presumably, higher luck makes it go faster?

Also how many quests like this am I in for?

There are a loooooot of quests. If the fetch-quests annoy you just ignore them. You can come back to them later. There is only one exception to this reaaaallly late in the game and it's telegraphed fairly obviously. Here's a hint: There's a late-game area that has almost no Merc Missions in it and it's nearly impossible to build up Development Level for it. Keep a lookout for this place and prioritize sidequests there. There are not many of them.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It looks like I’m gonna have to use Tora and poppi aren’t I? I like tora outside of battle, but good god MEHMEH MEHMEH MEHMHEMMWHMEHEMEJEEBBDDJDJ

You get another tank character who is more of a dodge tank. You don't have to use Tora.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
General advice is hold off on doing anything but the main story until chapter 5 where you get your final party member.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Pharohman777 posted:

It would be funny if there was a scene where Nia, Pyra, and Mythra were all called out as cougars.

I always assumed Nia was still around Rex's age, even with the plot stuff in mind.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did they ever improve the gatcha stuff or add more interesting content?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Game is not even six months old and most of the DLC isn't even out yet. So, no, but also I wouldn't wait for them to do anything to the blade gacha.

I guess NG+ with exclusive blades is interesting content.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Challenge arena should be coming out soonish, and the new story content/mode is coming out later (supposed to be in the Fall sometime). Check back then if you're looking for some more meaty stuff to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Momomo posted:

I always assumed Nia was still around Rex's age, even with the plot stuff in mind.

Physically, she probably is. At the very least, it's what the player's supposed to think right right up until she reveals the truth.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Play as Tora and jump from somewhere high enough to take a bit of fall damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver Falcon posted:

There are a loooooot of quests. If the fetch-quests annoy you just ignore them. You can come back to them later. There is only one exception to this reaaaallly late in the game and it's telegraphed fairly obviously. Here's a hint: There's a late-game area that has almost no Merc Missions in it and it's nearly impossible to build up Development Level for it. Keep a lookout for this place and prioritize sidequests there. There are not many of them.

You get another tank character who is more of a dodge tank. You don't have to use Tora.

Tora's still the best tank, especially since Poppi's final form is the most powerful blade in the game by a huge margin (if you grind out upgrades).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Did they ever improve the gatcha stuff or add more interesting content?

They added a DLC quest for a new blade and a postgame blade that’s technically in the gacha but is so common that you’ll get her very very quickly once you beat the final boss. Actual story DLC is coming and there’s been some interesting stuff datamined about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dunno how long you've been away, but you can skip the gacha animations now

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Well I got the game yesterday and I've already put 12 hours into it. I'm in the Urayan titan with Vandham and just got killed by the Elder Arachno that killed the titan. Guess I need to level up a bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tips for the game:

-Learn how to cancel your basic attacks so you're building up meter so fast. It's literally just tilt the stick after the first swing's done. Rex looks like a turbo manic if done right.

-Sleep at inns. You build up bonus EXP that you can use to level up.

-You are completely invincible during cinematic attacks. Time it right.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They should have put Mythra in twintails.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Tae posted:

Tips for the game:

-Learn how to cancel your basic attacks so you're building up meter so fast. It's literally just tilt the stick after the first swing's done. Rex looks like a turbo manic if done right.

-Sleep at inns. You build up bonus EXP that you can use to level up.

-You are completely invincible during cinematic attacks. Time it right.

Thanks, yeah, I knew the thing about sleeping at the inns. I literally just watced a video on youtube sort of explaining the cancel attack thing, but I think that's gonna take some time to learn.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tae posted:

Tips for the game:

Also this mostly just for the aegis sword, with a lot of weapons its more efficient to let at least a couple autos go before cancelling.

Edit: i only say this because i got so used to cancelling with aegis sword that i did it with everything else without thinking for a while

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 21, 2018

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

THE loving MOON posted:

Also this mostly just for the aegis sword, with a lot of weapons its more efficient to let at least a couple autos go before cancelling.

Edit: i only say this because i got so used to cancelling with aegis sword that i did it with everything else without thinking for a while

Granted, in the mid-lategame you're just slamming Double Spinning Edge over and over and over and over like a living blender up until you topple something or pop out a special.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Thanks, yeah, I knew the thing about sleeping at the inns. I literally just watced a video on youtube sort of explaining the cancel attack thing, but I think that's gonna take some time to learn.

don't worry too much about it, it's not required

I didn't learn about cancelling your attacks through tilting the stick until the postgame

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

You're all describing animation canceling, not attack canceling. Attack canceling is another thing, referred to as such in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah animation canceling to auto attack faster feels gimmicky and is never necessary. By the time anything is hard enough to make that tactic worth it, you should be able to spam Double Spinning Edge endlessly anyway. If you want faster arts recharge, use pouch items.

Canceling your autoattacks into driver arts (and eventually driver arts into other driver arts), on the other hand, is really important and a core part of the battle system. Definitely learn how to time that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Soundtrack should be available this Wednesday as a reminder. I haven't seen any links to the digital version but I'm assuming that will go up on the same day.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

What level should I be to fight Malos and Akhos in the urayan titan? They are levels 24 and 26, my guys are level 25 and I am getting my rear end kicked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

What level should I be to fight Malos and Akhos in the urayan titan? They are levels 24 and 26, my guys are level 25 and I am getting my rear end kicked.

That's a gimmick fight. Attack Ahkos until a cutscene happens. Equip anti-taunt so Malos can't stop you hitting on the nerd.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Tae posted:

That's a gimmick fight. Attack Ahkos until a cutscene happens. Equip anti-taunt so Malos can't stop you hitting on the nerd.

Thanks I'll try that.

Edit: worked like a charm.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 22, 2018

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What's the schedule for the next update look like?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Man, the soundtrack in this game is fantastic. Reminds me a lot of old Final Fantasies and Chrono Cross.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A robotic hatsune miku in a maid outfit helped me defeat a mazinger-type giant robot that was shaped like a nenodroid figurine.

Toppling the robot while behind it reveals its robo panties.
:japan:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pharohman777 posted:

A robotic hatsune miku in a maid outfit helped me defeat a mazinger-type giant robot that was shaped like a nenodroid figurine.

Toppling the robot while behind it reveals its robo panties.
:japan:

The launch sequence is amazing. As soon so you see them dive down the parallel pipes and move in sync together, you KNOW a giant robot battle is coming :allears:.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The launch sequence is amazing. As soon so you see them dive down the parallel pipes and move in sync together, you KNOW a giant robot battle is coming :allears:.

:yeah:

That was one of the best parts of the game because it's this moment of "are they really doing this? Oh poo poo they are."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved this part so much. Classic Xenogears

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The english voice actor for muimui is amazing. That nasaly voice fits the characters role perfectly.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The whole thing with different blades being illustrated by different artists really stood out once I saw Vess.

She looks like she walked straight out of Ah! my goddess.

The work they did on the models to match them to the art is amazing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

The whole thing with different blades being illustrated by different artists really stood out once I saw Vess.

She looks like she walked straight out of Ah! my goddess.

The work they did on the models to match them to the art is amazing.

Different old anime: Martian Successor Nadesico

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm warming up to the bitball.

On rex the party heal on damage art is very nice, especially before you get your 4th party member.

Makes for a good emergency heal option, especially with the AI always trying to switch blades for your blade combos leaving you without a healer at times.

Say, what do those fayl symbols in the old factory you can kill do?

I got slaughtered by Igna around them a few times because they all got a sudden enrage buff a few seconds after combat started, and I dunno if its the fayl symbol, or the hooligan igna with the trumpets. I cleared the camps by rushing the fayl symbol down, but I dunno what they do still.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Maybe a dumb question but does anybody know if you download the soundtrack from iTunes if you can get mp3s of the songs? Soundtrack is coming out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

where the gently caress do I get the Anangham gate key in Mor Ardain? I'm trying to find it with google, and not really finding anything helpful.