Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

So I stopped playing this a few months back and after seeing the new stuff from e3 I want to try and finish the main story asap. If I just plow through the main storyline without doing any side stuff will I end up severely gimped? I'm buying new weapon chips as I go and keeping my levels as close to boss levels as I can. Also i'm probably going to ignore the gacha mechanic and focus on story/dlc blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

So I stopped playing this a few months back and after seeing the new stuff from e3 I want to try and finish the main story asap. If I just plow through the main storyline without doing any side stuff will I end up severely gimped? I'm buying new weapon chips as I go and keeping my levels as close to boss levels as I can. Also i'm probably going to ignore the gacha mechanic and focus on story/dlc blades.

You'll be fine, though the game will be a bit more challenging.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

You'll be fine, though the game will be a bit more challenging.

I already died a few times to bosses but that was more due to re-learning the combat controls. There doesn't seem to be any sort of index of game hints that I can find. Had to google how to switch targets in battle.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you spend all your bonus XP as you go you'll be totally fine, the main story progression alone gives you enough to keep up to speed. You'll want to grab all the guaranteed rare blades along the way and you can have a full team without doing the gatcha stuff at all.

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016
After taking a little break because of getting every blade, now I see there's going to be a challenge mode and new story DLC

Welp, time to go back in and play this for the next 50+ hours I guess

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They're showing off Torna on the Nintendo stream right now if you want a sneak peak!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wait, is Addam voiced by the same person as Zeke?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

More new characters! Milton (the catboy) and Mikhail are other new playable characters! Looks like they are likely guest characters and not permanent members based on the UI.

Talent Arts from XC1 are back! Weapons take up slots now instead of using Cores and change your elements!

Oh poo poo, revisiting Gormott (and some others) 500 years in the past too.

Rirse posted:

IIRC the people from Tantal decedents of Addam too. I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the big twist here is that Zeke is actually Addam's direct decedent and Rex is indeed just a random goober.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 14, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They're showing off Torna on the Nintendo stream right now if you want a sneak peak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6qUywlnjg

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thanks, my internet is having issues for some reason and I missed like half of it on Twitch. I don't know why but it really makes me happy that your parties are referred to as 'Team Lora' and the like.

There's also lots and lots of other little mechanics changes that are in-line with the new gameplay and party systems in there.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rirse posted:

Addam having access the Eye of Shining Justice would fuckin' own

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

U-DO Burger posted:

Addam having access the Eye of Shining Justice would fuckin' own

I was not expecting this DLC to be Great Granddaddy Zeke's Big loving Adventure but if that's the case I'm gonna lose my mind.

Another particularly big thing that we kind of knew about before seems to be that every character has access to 8 arts now. You have your 3 basic Arts + Talent Art, a Swap Art (used when you change to that character), and 3 more Rear Guard Arts that are available while the character isn't being controlled directly.

There's also a 'Camp' system now where you can chat with party members and use your assorted crafting skills.

Based on what we've seen so far I'm starting to actually think Lora is the main protag of the DLC and not Addam. Also confirming something I was suspicious of before: Blade Combos appear to be gone entirely, or possibly may just not be available from the start of the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 14, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, nia is more catlike than all the gormotti combined.

She has an idle animation where she tries to swat at a bug, she clawed apart that nia/dromarch poster, and a bunch more stuff like her crouch or chain attack dance.

It is mentioned ingame she is scared of heights... but in blade form when her forestry skill activates she says "I never saw a tree I didn't want to climb".

I think Nia is like any other blade, in that she has a whole lot of baked-in knowledge and habits. So she will climb trees and need someone to get her down just like a real cat, and if a bug buzzes by her she will swat at it and hunt it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I cannot for the life of me beat Jin in chapter 9. I get him to half health and he just wrecks me.

Help.

He does have about 4 levels over my characters... he is 66 and my guys are 62/62/63. I've got everybody equipped with Sunlight Accuracy IV or whatever the gently caress it's called that gives 80% accuracy during the day.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

1.5.0 is out now with the Challenge Mode and all that. It has a few small options to alter the difficulty too:

This doesn't include the Hard Modes mind you. Don't have translated patch notes yet for the rest of it.

They also appear to have added a report of 'subjugated unique monsters' as well as a new UI prompt for re-fighting them, so that should make doing those about 500% less painful.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 15, 2018

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Important information from the Treehouse stream:

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016
New Blades Affinity Chart

Shulk:
Monado Purge: Remove awakened status when using Special, 100% removal at max rank
Monado Cyclone: Increased critical hit damage, up to 85% at max rank
Monado Buster: Adds a % of dealing a guard-annuling attack, up to 100% at max rank
Vision: Prevent a powerful enemy attack via button challenge, 60 seconds cooldown at max rank
Monado Enchant: Increase damage dealt by party when at max affinity, up to 40% at max rank
Monado Speed: Increase accuracy and evasion rate at max affinity, up to 40% at max rank
Salvaging
Keen Eye
Ancient Wisdom

Fiora
Hidden Thorn: Spawn small HP potion on hit, with a chance to spawn 2, 100% chance at max rank
Power Smash: Absorb % of critical damage, dealt as HP, up to 100% at max rank
Lacerate: When landing a hit, restore % of damage dealt to whole party, up to 50% at max rank
Warrior Valkyrie: Increase party crit rate at max affinity, up to 40% at max rank
Explosion of Energy: Increase damage dealt by % each time a critical hit is dealt(max: 300%), up to 15% per critical hit at max rank
Unwavering Courage: % more damage for each enemy in the battle(max:250%), up to 40% per enemy in battle
Ichthyology
Fortitude
Nopon Wisdom

DoctorChowder fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 15, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do we know if the Torna expansion is going to have a bunch of new rare Blades?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Torna is a separate game entirely with very different combat and party mechanics, and as far as we know the rare blade and gatcha mechanics are gone entirely.

If you mean for the base game, then yes there's at least two. Malos and Fan are rewards for finishing Torna apparently, probably Post Game or NG+ gated I would assume.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Finally beat the game last night. I'm now ready for Torna. :getin:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

1.5.0 is out now with the Challenge Mode and all that. It has a few small options to alter the difficulty too:

The wording I've found elsewhere is a bit wonky -- does everybody have access to those options or are they only added if you've purchased one or more of the DLCs?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Torna is a separate game entirely with very different combat and party mechanics, and as far as we know the rare blade and gatcha mechanics are gone entirely.

I wouldn't mind removing the Gatcha mechanic, like if all the Rare Blades were tied to sidequests like Vess. But the steady trickle of Rare Blade art before release is what got me interested in Xenoblade in the first place. I'd love to see them do that again for the Torna expansion

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wouldn't mind removing the Gatcha mechanic, like if all the Rare Blades were tied to sidequests like Vess. But the steady trickle of Rare Blade art before release is what got me interested in Xenoblade in the first place. I'd love to see them do that again for the Torna expansion

We'll just have to see what they do with it this time I guess. There is however still a mysterious <???> left on the menu screen, and neither the Blade tab or Mercs tabs are there yet. So, it could be awakening blades, or it could be a new thing that replaces Merc missions as well (my bets are on this).

I'm banking heavily on them not bringing back the gatcha system just because there's probably a pretty significant amount of animation work that they'd need to do for every Blade brought in, plus the fact that Drivers only get to equip 2 blades at once now and every driver has already been seen with 2 story blades.

It's Xenoblade though so I'm prepared for plenty of surprises.

Hammer Bro. posted:

The wording I've found elsewhere is a bit wonky -- does everybody have access to those options or are they only added if you've purchased one or more of the DLCs?

These are locked behind the DLC according to everything I've read.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The gacha system wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to guarantee a rare blade through grinding of some sort.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If only

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
What they should have done is either made it so the pity rate system (where your chances of getting a rare blade increase the more crystals you open without getting one) applies to every rare blade in the game instead of just a set few, or added a fixed amount of crystals that have a higher rarity than legendary and are guaranteed to be a rare blade but put them behind superbosses or something.

I’m literally missing one blade (Newt) and it’s so annoying that there isn’t anything more I can do to increase my chances of getting her rather than increasing luck, grinding for legendary cores, and using the right idea modifier which I have been doing to no avail.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the postbattle dialogue with shulk and fiora in the land of challenge has revealed where in the xenoblade 1 timeline they are from.

F: Hey Poppi, it's tough living with a mechanical body, isn't it?

P: But Fiora is human, how would Fiora know?

F: Oh, let's just say I have some experience, remind me to tell you sometime.

R: Hey, Shulk... that sword you have. There's something... mystical about it.

S: As it should be. It was made by a god after all.

R: Wait... seriously!? Is that safe to be using?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/8rmxcz/xb1_xb2_spoilers_the_iterations_of_shulk_and/

So Shulk and Fiora were probably out on a date together exploring the new land when they found the portal. And Fioras hair is grown out, like 8n the ending.
There is further discussion in the reddit that Shulk refers to bionis and mechonis in the cutscene even though they are postgame, so perhaps they have not named the new land yet, and are using bionis/mechonis due to having no other frame of refrence.

Edit: here is a youtube video of some dialogue, just be warned it can be spoilery for xenoblade 1 and 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOh1ZSZpufY

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 17, 2018

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Because it wasn't terribly apparent to me, I'll assume that means it isn't apparent to others. The new red flashing beacon next to enemies' names is their "enraged" indicator. It's buried in the release notes, but not really pointed out during gameplay (at least when you're in post-endgame on a ng+)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I actually saw that first in the Torna stream and was trying to figure out what it meant. Seems like information that would have been really nice to have on a first playthrough :downs:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Jin and Malos refight in the Arena is brutal...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

El Gar posted:

Because it wasn't terribly apparent to me, I'll assume that means it isn't apparent to others. The new red flashing beacon next to enemies' names is their "enraged" indicator. It's buried in the release notes, but not really pointed out during gameplay (at least when you're in post-endgame on a ng+)

That sounds convenient. Did they also add an orb indicator so you don't have to play with the camera to see what elemental orbs you have up on a target?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

That sounds convenient. Did they also add an orb indicator so you don't have to play with the camera to see what elemental orbs you have up on a target?

Sadly no, but I swear they made the orbs a lot more obvious.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One kind of neat thing I noticed on NG+replay is that there are a lot of moments around Vandham's death where you can see Nia sort of struggling with the knowledge that she totally could have saved him if she had used her blade abilities. During the part where Iona is blaming herself for his death the camera goes behind Nia and she's making a fist, in addition to her sorta stepping forward and hesitating when Vandham is struggling against Metsu. It's nothing particularly special, but the story showed some uncharacteristic restraint in never actually explicitly mentioning it (since a lot of JRPGs and anime tend to be bad about explaining every little thing).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 20, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I suspect that this DLC/standalone may prompt some new players to pick up this game and come to this thread. I know I'm the spoiler police and I crab about people not spoiling pedantic poo poo but that's like two major plot reveals. Maybe spoiler tag it?

Back to (includes spoilers up to mostly endgame) Vandham's death, it still sort of bugs me that he shows Rex a new thing he can do with a blade and ether and all that and it doesn't come up once. I thought for sure it would somehow when Jin froze everything to Absolute Zero (let's ignore the physics and why that makes zero sense) and Rex would stab himself with the weapon to let Pyra do something bonkers. It would have been the perfect spot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

Back to (includes spoilers up to mostly endgame) Vandham's death, it still sort of bugs me that he shows Rex a new thing he can do with a blade and ether and all that and it doesn't come up once. I thought for sure it would somehow when Jin froze everything to Absolute Zero (let's ignore the physics and why that makes zero sense) and Rex would stab himself with the weapon to let Pyra do something bonkers. It would have been the perfect spot.

Yeah, I went most of the game assuming that the "stabbing yourself with the blade" thing was some Chekhov's gun that would obviously end up being used by Rex, and that it would have some crazy effect due to being the Aegis.

edit: On a very vaguely related note, it kinda bugs me that Kamui's ether interference ability affects Pyra but doesn't affect Mythra. How does that make any sense? Either the Aegis uses ether or it doesn't, and it doesn't make any sense for Pyra to use it and Mythra to not. I could understand if only Mythra's sky lasers weren't effected, since they're being shot by Siren, but she was also able to connect with Rex and he could fight normally otherwise.

In general, the whole situation with Pyra and Mythra is very weird. Mythra says she created Pyra as a separate personality, but then the "true form" of the Aegis is a mix of Pyra and Mythra, which sorta implies that Pyra existed all along.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 20, 2018

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Basically Pyra's power as an Aegis is sealed away along with Mythra, Pyra's effectively just a slightly more powerful Blade at the start of the game because of that. They mention specifically in the cut-scene once Mythra awakens that she isn't drawing power from Ether anymore and their 'true power' is awakened, so that's why she isn't effected by the ether interference.

As for the exact nature of how Pneuma works in relation to the two, not really explained in detail from what I can recall. I think the idea is that Mythra created Pyra as a separate personality so she wouldn't have to deal with poo poo anymore, and just left Pyra a fragment of her power to use. Pneuma being the 'actually true final power' form requiring Mythra+Pyra to fuse back together to have 100% full power again, also means both of their personalities are available, thus Rex can just choose which he likes better to refer to her as. Or something like that anyway.

I don't recall which cutscene they talk about Mythra creating Pyra though, when she awakens she just says that 'she took that form' when she was sealed up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think it's one of the first times we even see her Mythra created Pyra as a way to both not have to deal with the guilt of destroying 4 titans + their populations AND to seal most of her power away. It was a pseudo suicide thing as Mythra never intended to wake up. She didn't count on Pyra being able to pull her back out.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah they keep it kind of vague there though, I thought there was some other place they explained it in better detail. Although Mythra actually woke herself up because she wanted to protect Rex. She's still very much 'alive' because she talked to Pyra in the dream while they sleeping as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm pretty sure they talk about it at Vandham's funeral.

Also:

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it's one of the first times we even see her Mythra created Pyra as a way to both not have to deal with the guilt of destroying 4 titans + their populations AND to seal most of her power away. It was a pseudo suicide thing as Mythra never intended to wake up. She didn't count on Pyra being able to pull her back out.

Pretty much, Mythra created Pyra to sort of be her opposite. Pyra is basically a mask for Mythra's insecurities and fears. Which is why I prefer Mythra as a character since she grows out of them, or at least trusts Rex to help her face them, making Pyra more or less irrelevant since she doesn't really change much, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

just imagine if fei and id split into two so elly got to bang both of them