Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have been playing chronicles 1 recently as I never finished it and for all the flack 2 gets for insane titties the first one is just as bad about that.

Especially late game armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

people give chronicles 1 a pass for it because they think it's Not Anime

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Some of the optional cosmetic stuff being raunchy is a different level than the base, unchangeable models being smut.

Plus, when XBC came out there was a bit of backlash for Fiora's costumes as well. And presumably Sharla's.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Some of the optional cosmetic stuff being raunchy is a different level than the base, unchangeable models being smut.

Plus, when XBC came out there was a bit of backlash for Fiora's costumes as well. And presumably Sharla's.

Its not cosmetic nor optional it’s the better armor in the game. I was just equipping whatever armor had the best stats. I don’t even think Xenoblade has cosmetic stuff.

I had to run titty hanging out Sharla or she would get wrecked.

There is literal no difference between the two.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 19, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

if you're running sharla at all you're doing it wrong

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

if you're running sharla at all you're doing it wrong

I ran everyone at some point.
Either way it wasn’t cosmetic or optional.

I don’t even think Xenoblade 1 has cosmetic stuff.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its not cosmetic nor optional it’s the better armor in the game. I was just equipping whatever armor had the best stats. I don’t even think Xenoblade has cosmetic stuff.

I had to run titty hanging out Sharla or she would get wrecked.

There is literal no difference between the two.

Speed V and Speed IV both require gems to max out Agility, and the same Agility gem works for both.

I also think that endgame neckbeard content is less worrisome than the core design implementing it. I am not unopposed to fan service in the right context, and late game or optional content is the better way to go about it than the same outfit you see them in for 200 hours.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That seems really arbitrar, more of a rationalization really. I also wouldn’t call the final boss optional but not everyone finishes games I guess.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I ran everyone at some point.
Either way it wasn’t cosmetic or optional.

I don’t even think Xenoblade 1 has cosmetic stuff.

the game becomes a million times more enjoyable when you bench Sharla and stack all the "heal party after chain attack" skills you can manage

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I suppose. XBC is definitely anime as hell, but some of the more pervy stuff is gated behind content so I think it surprises people when they find it, whereas XB2 wastes no time in making you feel uncomfortable about the way people are dressed and act so you're more desensitized to it by the time Dahlia comes up and waggles her 10 pound melons in your face.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

the game becomes a million times more enjoyable when you bench Sharla and stack all the "heal party after chain attack" skills you can manage

I also wanted to get their affinities up and changing up the party made it easier.

I suppose. XBC is definitely anime as hell, but some of the more pervy stuff is gated behind content so I think it surprises people when they find it, whereas XB2 wastes no time in making you feel uncomfortable about the way people are dressed and act so you're more desensitized to it by the time Dahlia comes up and waggles her 10 pound melons in your face.

I think it’s better when a game doesnt pretend its something it’s not. Better to know what you are getting into rather than feeling tricked.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I also wanted to get their affinities up and changing up the party made it easier.

what, you didn't want to navigate menus to have your team gift each other random crap for hours?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

what, you didn't want to navigate menus to have your team gift each other random crap for hours?

Don’t forget that you can only collect or trade random crap and you have to trade one at a time.

People complain about XC2 system but it a 1000 times better than the original.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have been playing chronicles 1 recently as I never finished it and for all the flack 2 gets for insane titties the first one is just as bad about that.

"bad"

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sa-weet, thanks for the tips y'all! Learned a few things in there and I deffo hit the point where digging in the mechanics is part of the fun.

My contribution to anime tiddy chat is I haven't played 1 but I'm like 40 hours into 2 and I still double take at some angles surprised that yes they really did not just give Pyra a ridiculous outfit but also attached giant weird shaped blobs on. More crazy to me how I'm continually impressed with how sprawling and built out the game itself is for a single player release with a million systems, sprawling maps and a world that feels huge, just an impressive amount of stuff built out and integrated, then one of the main characters with a lot of screentime looks like a deviantart import.

Speaking of anime tiddies is Nia a guy? I don't always pay 100% attention to cutscenes in the game but something happened in a hot tub I missed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teh_Broseph posted:

Speaking of anime tiddies is Nia a guy? I don't always pay 100% attention to cutscenes in the game but something happened in a hot tub I missed.

Nooooooo. That's something else altogether, and you really should start paying attention to the story cutscenes to figure out what's going on.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That cutscene is intentionally vague and I've seen it interpreted at least 4 different ways. So no, you didn't actually miss anything.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I didn’t get the scene either on my first play through, i know what they were going for in terms of pacing plot beats, but there was nothing to really connect that scene to previous related scenes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So just started playing this game and it's fantastic so far.

Really hope reviewers were wrong about this being worse than Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

So just started playing this game and it's fantastic so far.

Really hope reviewers were wrong about this being worse than Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

I enjoyed 2 more than 1.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Xenoblade 2 suffers from a lot more money being put into the project, but also a really ambitious attempt to get local artists to contribute directly to the game. The gacha system itself is polarizing, and the artist designs range from cool to deviantart to straight up patreon fetish material. Also, a big part of the strategic layer, the merc missions, just have everyone show up as a sprite, Shin Megami Tensei style, which could be offputting since they have full 3D models and voicing for all of them. Also, generic blades are dull.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xenoblade 2 suffers from a lot more money being put into the project, but also a really ambitious attempt to get local artists to contribute directly to the game. The gacha system itself is polarizing, and the artist designs range from cool to deviantart to straight up patreon fetish material. Also, a big part of the strategic layer, the merc missions, just have everyone show up as a sprite, Shin Megami Tensei style, which could be offputting since they have full 3D models and voicing for all of them. Also, generic blades are dull.

Actually the reason Xenoblade 2 lacks polish is Breath of the Wild rather than mismanagement. Monolith Soft had to divert most of their programmers to help get BoTW finished, and XC2 couldn't get the refining it would've gotten in that time otherwise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the reason Xenoblade 2 lacks polish is Breath of the Wild rather than mismanagement. Monolith Soft had to divert most of their programmers to help get BoTW finished, and XC2 couldn't get the refining it would've gotten in that time otherwise.

This would be more plausible if every other one of Monolith Soft's game didn't share the exact same problem

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Xenoblade 2 is a much better game than 1.

Having just played 1 I can say that easily

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

multijoe posted:

This would be more plausible if every other one of Monolith Soft's game didn't share the exact same problem

I wouldn't say it's Xenosaga bad. XC2 is at least a full and complete game (there's no real noticeable "THIS WAS CUT FOR TIME" gaps or anything like that), it's just lacking polish. XC1 IS a full and mostly-polished game, it's just very grindy for getting to the actual good side-content and extra talent trees.

XCX, well... now that one is a total trainwreck. You honestly couldn't even port it to the Switch in the state it's in as-is, it needs that much work to un-gently caress it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hope thy un-gently caress XCX and release it for the Switch, I loved the world of that game.

Edit: one of the things they did really well in XCX that I missed in XC2 was the different ways that enemies could detect you. They fleshed that mechanic out really well with the color coding of enemy names but then in XC2 they were like “gently caress it, every enemy engages based on sight”

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 20, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't say it's Xenosaga bad. XC2 is at least a full and complete game (there's no real noticeable "THIS WAS CUT FOR TIME" gaps or anything like that), it's just lacking polish. XC1 IS a full and mostly-polished game, it's just very grindy for getting to the actual good side-content and extra talent trees.

XCX, well... now that one is a total trainwreck. You honestly couldn't even port it to the Switch in the state it's in as-is, it needs that much work to un-gently caress it.

XB1 was definitely the slickest of the Xenoblade games but the series' inclination towards needlessly tedious RNG grinding was already there. Most of XB2's problems aren't a lack of 'polish' but straightforwardly bad design decisions, they've made them slightly more tolerable in post-release patches but the gacha system and mercenary missions are still horrible wastes of time

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I hope thy un-gently caress XCX and release it for the Switch, I loved the world of that game.

Same. XBX has one of my all-time favourite open world environments and the on-foot combat system was a ton of fun, getting to the midgame and slowly realising that everything to do with Skells was insanely terrible was incredibly disappointing

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hey now skell combat may have been poo poo but piloting one was still freaking rad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Hey now skell combat may have been poo poo but piloting one was still freaking rad

The flight music setting every time you stepped out of the cockpit was downright twisted

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So is the upcoming prequel for XB2 just DLC, or is it an entire new game?

Also, XBX was terrible and I hope Monolith never revisits it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is the upcoming prequel for XB2 just DLC, or is it an entire new game?

Yes

(it's standalone DLC that will have a physical release but if you bought the pass for the game you get it with that)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/xenoblade_chronicles_2_torna_-_the_golden_country_expansion_coming_this_september

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

multijoe posted:

XB1 was definitely the slickest of the Xenoblade games but the series' inclination towards needlessly tedious RNG grinding was already there. Most of XB2's problems aren't a lack of 'polish' but straightforwardly bad design decisions, they've made them slightly more tolerable in post-release patches but the gacha system and mercenary missions are still horrible wastes of time

When I say it lacks polish, I don't just mean "tweak the values until they're dialed in". I mean more "this idea seemed good on paper, let's try it out. Okay, that's not as fun as we thought, let's try changing/ditching it". Getting stuck in crunch time means they don't have time for the latter parts, so all you get is "well, it's functional :shrug:".

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Edit: one of the things they did really well in XCX that I missed in XC2 was the different ways that enemies could detect you. They fleshed that mechanic out really well with the color coding of enemy names but then in XC2 they were like “gently caress it, every enemy engages based on sight”

XCX was very ambitious, and it has the seeds of a great game. The problem is it's blatantly unfinished in a lot of places and there's simply no salvaging it without some serious rebuilding from scratch. Especially when the story's a stitch-job of a bunch of contradictory rewrites, and what's worse is it has no actual ending. Just a cliffhanger that is normally the "poo poo's gone WEIRD" twist in most JRPG's at around the 2/3rd's or 3/4 mark of the story.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 20, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, XBX was terrible and I hope Monolith never revisits it.

You have made a powerful enemy this day. I hope they are able to revisit the setting in a future game, and I would buy a switch rerelease day 1.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Exactly. XBX had the makings of a great game. But it was too ambitious. The devs seemingly wanted to make a JRPG version of an Elder Scrolls game (i.e. huge open world with a focus on tons of side quests) but in half the time.

And yeah, the story sucked but right when it was getting interesting it faded to black and went back to the main menu.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

who cares about the story, the planet was loving incredible to explore, the exploration in XC1 and XC2 is poo poo compared to it

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I enjoyed this game and all of the sword wives are my friends

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, XCX is still my favorite Xenoblade by far.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

who cares about the story, the planet was loving incredible to explore, the exploration in XC1 and XC2 is poo poo compared to it

I actually enjoyed exploring in XC1 more than XCX. XC1 felt much more crafted while XCX had the randomly generated feel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

The game as-is is only 'acceptable' as a finished product in the WiiU version with the excuse that they ran out of time/money and had to ship.

That doesn't fly when you're hypothetically revisiting the game to port/remake it with XC2 money and more Nintendo funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

They should rename the Xenoblade X series to something else.

Like Nintendo did to Secret of Mana.