Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What's the quickest way to gain trust with a Blade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

I like the sidequests in this game better than XC1. the one about reuniting the Nopon singer with her son is pretty great, didn't expect it to have so many parts.

Found a weird maybe optional dungeon thing near the old factory, but couldn't break open some rusty door. Found a keycard thing but couldn't figure out where that goes. I'm level 35 for the whole party, is that over or underleveled for where I'm at (being at the point right after the first Lila fight)

You're slightly overleveled but the part after Lila is annoying and the final bosses in that area gave me a bit of difficulty so you'll be glad for it

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the quickest way to gain trust with a Blade?

But a shitload of pouch consumables, use them all at once

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I am kinda early in the story and the game wants me to spend 12k on something to proceed but I only have about 3k. Is there a good way to make this money quickly?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You can get the Bion Connectors from the salvage point in Torigoth and don't have to pay anything

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm in Chapter 7 and keep running into skill tests that seem to block main story progress

Is there another way around this, or do you have to pass some skill tests to continue the story?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Thanks. I am going to guess the game told me that, I slept and forgot about it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like "buy Poppi Maracas" should be in the OP since it will likely save a LOT of time and effort towards getting one of the better traits (bigger HP pool for Poppi)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm in Chapter 7 and keep running into skill tests that seem to block main story progress

Is there another way around this, or do you have to pass some skill tests to continue the story?
There's not a way around at least some, because some reviewers were complaining about how they couldn't beat the game until they went and ground up some Blades with the right skills.

But I don't know how many don't have alternate paths around.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like "buy Poppi Maracas" should be in the OP since it will likely save a LOT of time and effort towards getting one of the better traits (bigger HP pool for Poppi)

Somebody should make a post about all the things you should do to prevent frustration later. Without spoilers.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Can someone tell me, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being grimdark despair and 10 being making GBS threads rainbows and butterflies, where the ending of this story lands? I'm in chapter 4 and I'm actually getting attached to these characters and I want to brace myself if need be.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My guess is that Rex has sex with your waifu

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Chaosfirev posted:

Can someone tell me, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being grimdark despair and 10 being making GBS threads rainbows and butterflies, where the ending of this story lands? I'm in chapter 4 and I'm actually getting attached to these characters and I want to brace myself if need be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larrymer posted:

Somebody should make a post about all the things you should do to prevent frustration later. Without spoilers.

Off the top of my head;

Keep Dromarch's affection up to date since Ancient Wisdom lvl 3 is a fairly common requirement in the late game
Keep a good spread of elements across all your dudes. Once you have more party members you can get past most elemental checks even with level 1 dudes if you play Blade tetris in your inventory
On that note, keep basically any common blade you roll with a field ability. It'll help with merc missions. Delete the lowest star ones when you start running out of room or if you max their affection.
There are a whole bunch of guaranteed Blades you can get from sidequests that have really important checks that are rare/impossible to get any other way. A lot of those are hard to find, so I would suggest looking it up.

Honestly there isn't a lot of 'gently caress you, you forgot to collect this' like there was in 1.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I passed most of the field checks in the first time because I spent a lot of time playing around with mercs and getting a ton of core crystals by salvaging.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Three quick questions from the start of act 3.

Can anyone tell me the warp point you unlock at the start? I've spent the last few hours dicking around and now I can't remember where to jump to to continue the story.

Is it going to be a while before I start unlocking more deeds? I've unlocked the one you get from the sub quest, and I've bought one of everything from the stores but nothing shows up at prosperity level 2.

Just what do boosters do?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
For people using Wulfric and Roc on Rex, how are you dealing with the lack of launch? Despite having a launch ability on Nia, the ally AI virtually never actually uses it when someone is Toppled and I've pretty much lost the ability to do Driver Combos past Break/Topple.

For now I've swapped Wulfric out for Agate, but aside from the lack of launch Wulfric seems much stronger. Is there a way to force the AI to actually try to do combos?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How do people use the fifth party member?

I feel like all the other characters already fill the roles I need in the party really well. Like, running without Nia healing seems difficult for anything slightly harder, Rex has the damage dealing sorted and the other two seem to be better tanks.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Do I need to be past a certain point to get Tora's third blade? Everytime I go back to his house, the side quest isn't there yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chapter 6 plot question. I usually let a lot of things slide but it really stood out to me.
Bana primes his maid-bot to explode and in a act of selflessness Niall rushes to stop him. He calls his Blade forward to provide a shield to protect everyone and take the blow... only for Niall to dive out of the shield just so he could eat the explosion. Why didn't he just stay in the bubble with everyone and remain safe? That made absolutely no sense to me and it made me hard to just accept a lot of the "drama" going on afterward.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I feel like all the other characters already fill the roles I need in the party really well. Like, running without Nia healing seems difficult for anything slightly harder, Rex has the damage dealing sorted and the other two seem to be better tanks.

He shits out a lot of damage compared to the other AI chars. I like to go healer/healer/attack as my character with two attack/attack/tank centered AI partners. A main healer fully stacked on damage modifiers can do similar amounts of damage as attack chars, while being a way more reliable healer. It's so much better than relying on AI healing that you can go whole hog on attack items on all your chars. Being topped up on health is even more important in the late game and you get a very, very strong healing blade only rex can use.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Axel Serenity posted:

Do I need to be past a certain point to get Tora's third blade? Everytime I go back to his house, the side quest isn't there yet.

Chapter 8 I’m told.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

He shits out a lot of damage compared to the other AI chars. I like to go healer/healer/attack as my character with two attack/attack/tank centered AI partners. A main healer fully stacked on damage modifiers can do similar amounts of damage as attack chars, while being a way more reliable healer. It's so much better than relying on AI healing that you can go whole hog on attack items on all your chars. Being topped up on health is even more important in the late game and you get a very, very strong healing blade only rex can use.

Does that new blade actually give Rex a proper healing ability? I dislike Rex as a healer because of his lack of them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I tried playing a healer but I'm bad when to gauge when to use healing halo and got the party killed :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Andrast posted:

Apparently Kos Mos is all the healing you need and I've been beefing her up in my merc missions (because I am locked in with another light blade right now) so just get her and that should solve your issues like I'm hoping it will solve mine :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Andrast posted:

Does that new blade actually give Rex a proper healing ability? I dislike Rex as a healer because of his lack of them.

Yeah. It has a unique weapon that gives Rex his only direct healing spell. Though it has some pretty severe drawbacks to using it that no other Blade has.

Serious spoilers for Chapter 8

Like actually reallly serious spoilers

I warned you

The blade is Nia and if you use her in Blade Form she can't work as a Driver

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lessail posted:

How do I make battles not take forever? I suppose I'm meant to be doing chain combos more since I do a lot of fusion combos already, but each time i do a chain combo that doesn't result in a win results in death

Seriously how do you avoid feeling like you're dying inside each time you're forced to fight non-bosses in the late game

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also in Chapter 8 you get the ability to remove the unique blades from your whole party except for Tora so you can customize people into whatever role you want.

Tora also gets access to his third blade then.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Also in Chapter 8 you get the ability to remove the unique blades from your whole party except for Tora so you can customize people into whatever role you want.

Tora also gets access to his third blade then.

How much game is there left at that point?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

How much game is there left at that point?

Not a ton, maybe like 10/20% plus postgame.

To clarify, you can't just move blades around you just get the ability to unassign Dromarch so Nia could run 3 attackers or Tanks etc. They're still limited to the blades they opened.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Does that new blade actually give Rex a proper healing ability?

The blade has not one but 2 healing blade arts (one of them heals half of your HP), has a very strong heal over time for the entire party that no other blade has (so you heal even while toppled or shackled), heals you on auto attacks and heals you when you take damage. It's insane.

Andrast posted:

I dislike Rex as a healer because of his lack of them.

Uh, what? Unless you were very unlucky with blade drops, any knuckle blade does very respectable healing. Nim (the one with the foxes) is a very strong healer and fighter too. If you set up your pouch items to focus on blade art restoration and the skill that lets you cancel a blade art into another you can literally go: Blade art 1, 2, 3 special level 1, blade art 1 ,2 ,3 forever keeping your party topped up. Arts that make you drop potions can feel unreliable especially in bad terrain, but when you give your weapon to your blade to do a special you run at normal speed, so that's when you should go grab potions.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 8, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also gently caress that guy for not getting a single rare blade in 17 rare cores

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Should I bother finishing salvaging sets or just sell stuff piecemeal if I just want to make money. I used 8 gold cylinders on one salvage point but I didn't get any complete set reliably

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

Should I bother finishing salvaging sets or just sell stuff piecemeal if I just want to make money. I used 8 gold cylinders on one salvage point but I didn't get any complete set reliably

The best place to salvage is mor ardain. There are two very good sets that require only 1-2 of two items, earn you 16-32k and you can sometimes get a full set per chest. You will reliably triple or quadruple your investment.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The blade side quests are really blowing my mind. So many games make collectable monsters just a stat block that barely exists in story but this game has like a ten part quest with like voice acting and unique music and cut scenes and merc missions to get ursula in a band and you never see stuff like that. Games treating stuff like that as party members.

gently caress Ursula and her goddamn singing.

Holy poo poo it's super long to complete this.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's not a way around at least some, because some reviewers were complaining about how they couldn't beat the game until they went and ground up some Blades with the right skills.

But I don't know how many don't have alternate paths around.

There was only one time I got stuck on a field skill check rescue the kid behind the boxes in Peruns final affinity mission and even then it was a side mission and I was only off by one point. Took a ten minute detour to level up an affinity point so nbd.

There's maybe two or three reasonably high level unskippable field skill checks in the endgame but if you've been doing Merc Missions you should be able to handle them.

I think the reviewers were trying to bum rush an 80 hr RPG to hit their deadlines. It's understandable and to be fair field skills are a super clunky mechanic but they don't really halt story progression to force a grind.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leathal posted:

There's maybe two or three reasonably high level unskippable field skill checks in the endgame but if you've been doing Merc Missions you should be able to handle them.
Yeah, I had a little bit of difficulty with the Botany 7 check for Azami's sidequest but I mean, that was mid-chapter 4, I figure I will be able to ace basically everything as my first crop of garbage random merc blades starts to max out and I get the other half of the rares I'm missing. Still might take a while to get to like "Electric Mastery 10" but those can wait!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I guess I'm not using the fifth party member much regardless of whether he is good or not because I've opened 20 rare crystals and 40 commons with him now and haven't gotten a single rare blade

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

nerdz posted:

The best place to salvage is mor ardain. There are two very good sets that require only 1-2 of two items, earn you 16-32k and you can sometimes get a full set per chest. You will reliably triple or quadruple your investment.

Is there a specific spot at mor ardain or just in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lakbay posted:

Is there a specific spot at mor ardain or just in general
The Fief of Forgetfulness point was working out well for me but I also made a fair chunk from the one right by the port where you start the chapter - I didn't know I was supposed to actively fail to get more Krabble spawns when I was farming crystals :shobon: