Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Andrast posted:

If anything ou're also probably going to be overleveled as gently caress if you do side quests and use all the banked inn EXP.

When I say effectively, I mean using it up until you're level appropriate for the part of the game you're in so fights are still somewhat of a challenge. I don't mash right all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
If you really want to grind money etc the best time is right when you get to the industrial city that lets you buy golden canisters. Those allow you to get a shitton of money to raise dev levels/buy deeds/etc.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

blushy crushy

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm mad because the game isn't giving me the best blade, Finch, yet.

Also I'm in chapter 9 and I got a question. Popped over to Mor Ardain while it was hijacked and tried to salvage there for cubes just for shits and giggles and just pulled up nightmare hellbeast instead. Are they just there now or will that go back to normal later?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

On one hand, I don't (want to) believe that I've played 92 hours of XC2. I mean, that's a ridiculous amount, and I've read there might be a bug with the timer. On the other hand, I've been through two full charges on the pro controller, so...

That One Dungeon (the one where you can't use Special Arts higher than level 1) almost killed my interest in the game. I usually hate pulling away from the story in games when it's telling you you need to do something now now now, but I left and did some quests and slept at the inn and looked at some heart-to-hearts and buddied up with Wulfric, and when I came back, it was all possible. Now I'm doing the same in Chapter 8 -- there's minerals to find and field skills to level up and salvaging to be done and merc missions and and and...

I won't mind being overlevelled when I get back to climbing the World Tree, even though the quest hint says to hurry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

atholbrose posted:

On one hand, I don't (want to) believe that I've played 92 hours of XC2. I mean, that's a ridiculous amount, and I've read there might be a bug with the timer. On the other hand, I've been through two full charges on the pro controller, so...

That One Dungeon (the one where you can't use Special Arts higher than level 1) almost killed my interest in the game. I usually hate pulling away from the story in games when it's telling you you need to do something now now now, but I left and did some quests and slept at the inn and looked at some heart-to-hearts and buddied up with Wulfric, and when I came back, it was all possible. Now I'm doing the same in Chapter 8 -- there's minerals to find and field skills to level up and salvaging to be done and merc missions and and and...

I won't mind being overlevelled when I get back to climbing the World Tree, even though the quest hint says to hurry.

Little tip regarding spending bonus XP for an annoying thing near the end of the World Tree; Keep your party member's levels par with Rex, don't let them get higher than his level if you can manage it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Chapter 4 was awesome. DanaBot and the QT thing has me chuckling the whole time. He was yelling at muimui All fight. I had no issues with the factory. Cutscene that shows button, go click button.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tigerx2 sucks penis. Am I seriously gonna be grinding up 5000+ crystals playing this game? Are there cheat codes or anything? Also sucks that I have to go all the way to Tora's house to play it, which basically means I will almost never play it.

Also, when can I upgrade Poppi's chassis?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Tigerx2 sucks penis. Am I seriously gonna be grinding up 5000+ crystals playing this game? Are there cheat codes or anything? Also sucks that I have to go all the way to Tora's house to play it, which basically means I will almost never play it.

You can just fast travel to Tora's house

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Where is the board game merchant in Tantal? I'm trying to raise Wulfric's focus

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Also, when can I upgrade Poppi's chassis?

The second form is a story thing in Chapter 4, the third is a sidequest chain that becomes available in Chapter 8.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

what do the stats even do

Also I'm approaching the end of Ch3

So did you just button mash through the tutorial that told you what they do? :v:

Luck also increases your chance at rare blades when bonding.

Here's a full album of tons of tutorials. Spoilers are contained, obviously.

https://imgur.com/a/jZxj3

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also if you beat a Tora Tora level without killing a single enemy you get mondo points/ether crystals

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

some of these sidequests are just impossible for me because of the loving map or the vague directions of where to get a thing. White Beetle, oh yeah it's at this very small area, where is it, who the gently caress knows. There's like one collection point for bugs and I never get it. I wanted to do the Vess mission but I have no idea how to get to this honey valley place because the navigation is so loving bad. Like I know this is broken record at this point but the fact is the map and lack of a waypoint function impacts EVERYTHING now to a negative extent.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Little tip regarding spending bonus XP for an annoying thing near the end of the World Tree; Keep your party member's levels par with Rex, don't let them get higher than his level if you can manage it.

Thanks -- I'll keep that in mind.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

some of these sidequests are just impossible for me because of the loving map or the vague directions of where to get a thing. White Beetle, oh yeah it's at this very small area, where is it, who the gently caress knows. There's like one collection point for bugs and I never get it. I wanted to do the Vess mission but I have no idea how to get to this honey valley place because the navigation is so loving bad. Like I know this is broken record at this point but the fact is the map and lack of a waypoint function impacts EVERYTHING now to a negative extent.

You don't get it from a collection point, and, as the kid says, it's only out and about in the early morning.

Make sure it's high tide, go to the northwest corner of the "main" area (near where you came up from after your crash landing), and set the clock to 5:00. It's a red bag on a tiny island that you have to swim to.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Was it lack of sleep blurring my eyes or does Jin’s stripper outfit actually have tiny stylized angel wings on the back?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gibbering posted:

Was it lack of sleep blurring my eyes or does Jin’s stripper outfit actually have tiny stylized angel wings on the back?

Nomura can't resist making his characters' true forms look like crosses between peacocks and dumb rear end in a top hat goths

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think it's funny that considering Rex is about as dense as a neutron star to (late-game spoilers) Nia being in love with him, one of his post-battle comments is "Anyone else find Poppi's [third] form distracting? No? Just me?" :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rex is every bit the standard shounen protagonist, but I've grown to like him anyway, which I guess shows why that character type is so common. The accent really does help a lot to distinguish him, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Rex is every bit the standard shounen protagonist, but I've grown to like him anyway, which I guess shows why that character type is so common. The accent really does help a lot to distinguish him, though.

My only hard complaint with the end-game story is Nia's alternate/potential-universe version is pretty coherent and sound about why she's upset with him compared to the generic "YOU hosed US ALL OVER! YOU MUST DIE!" attitudes of the other party members, and he still can't realize she's in love with him. Xenoblade Chronicles also had an unrequited love arc with Melia, and at least let the poor girl get over her crush on Shulk.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Just had my first crash in about 40 hours of gameplay, losing a couple hours of salvaging.

Save often. HEED THE WARNINGS. :(

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm wondering if the eventual DLC will be story content related to why/how Nia is a blade or who Pyra/Mythra's original driver is. They never really touched on that, even though it should be someone who is alive. Unless I wasn't paying attention.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm wondering if the eventual DLC will be story content related to why/how Nia is a blade or who Pyra/Mythra's original driver is. They never really touched on that, even though it should be someone who is alive. Unless I wasn't paying attention.

The first one is fully answered in the game proper, keep playing if you're not at the end yet.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Popping back in to see if a better method than salvaging in Mor Ardain at the docks for rare core crystals has been found.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only hard complaint with the end-game story is Nia's alternate/potential-universe version is pretty coherent and sound about why she's upset with him compared to the generic "YOU hosed US ALL OVER! YOU MUST DIE!" attitudes of the other party members, and he still can't realize she's in love with him. Xenoblade Chronicles also had an unrequited love arc with Melia, and at least let the poor girl get over her crush on Shulk.

And then

the ending splits Pyra and Mythra into separate people which muddles a lot of the whole 'they're both facets of the same person' and solely seems to have happened for dumb harem shenanigens considering their weird scene in the alternate universe

That was the dumbest poo poo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's funny that considering Rex is about as dense as a neutron star to (late-game spoilers) Nia being in love with him, one of his post-battle comments is "Anyone else find Poppi's [third] form distracting? No? Just me?" :allears:

There's also one post-battle conversation between rex and nia where he says "You know, about that thing you said to me, I-" which she then interrupts and asks to move on.

I also noticed some rare blades have post battle comments between each other. Kora mentions to vale that she found a pretty dress in a store the other day, and vale feigns disinterest. I feel like they put more work into each rare blade in this game than chrono cross did with all the playable characters there.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love Sheba's sidequest, just for punting Suisui clear into the horizon. Twice. :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

nerdz posted:

There's also one post-battle conversation between rex and nia where he says "You know, about that thing you said to me, I-" which she then interrupts and asks to move on.

I also noticed some rare blades have post battle comments between each other. Kora mentions to vale that she found a pretty dress in a store the other day, and vale feigns disinterest. I feel like they put more work into each rare blade in this game than chrono cross did with all the playable characters there.

Perun and Godfrey go on about fighting for justice and their friends

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Zore posted:

And then

the ending splits Pyra and Mythra into separate people which muddles a lot of the whole 'they're both facets of the same person' and solely seems to have happened for dumb harem shenanigens considering their weird scene in the alternate universe

That was the dumbest poo poo.

That was also odd but I also have to wonder if they've had their memory reset, because presumably they died in the explosion and he re-bonded with them? They could also totally do a XC2-2 on new Elysium where some new evil comes along if they wanted. I kinda get why things went as they did, but Rex's obliviousness to Nia being in love with him sorta sucked because Nia owns and to me was clearly more of the secondary protagonist than Pyra/Mythra were; as the plot goes along it seems clearer that Mythra's really just a means to an end.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

nerdz posted:

I never finished Chrono Cross (despite the soundtrack being pretty much the best ever) but I immediately thought of it and how I never felt like having only a small handful of playable party members being a problem because it really felt like I always had twice as many due to their primary blades, never mind all the quests there are for the others.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
tfw you’re finally winning against a named monster and it walks off a cliff mid-battle

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

tfw you’re finally winning against a named monster and it walks off a cliff mid-battle

And there went its items and rare cores and poo poo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Corte posted:

Popping back in to see if a better method than salvaging in Mor Ardain at the docks for rare core crystals has been found.
Not if you need lots. If you just need a few rare blades, you can just move on with the plot and murderize everything and you'll end up with rares from boss fights and commons from trash and so on.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

This is me fighting on bad terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqmDq6IiF_Q&t=48s

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I'm early in chapter 5 and after reading about the density we're dealing with I think I will be legit annoyed if nothing happens between Pyra and Rex at the end of the story. The last couple of chapters have been building up to it, especially the scenes in his village and between her and the other fire blade. I know this series wants to go full anime but if this ends with nothing changing so help me God...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chaosfirev posted:

I'm early in chapter 5 and after reading about the density we're dealing with I think I will be legit annoyed if nothing happens between Pyra and Rex at the end of the story. The last couple of chapters have been building up to it, especially the scenes in his village and between her and the other fire blade. I know this series wants to go full anime but if this ends with nothing changing so help me God...

I have very tempered expectations regarding this after what happened in XBC1.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

IcePhoenix posted:

I have very tempered expectations regarding this after what happened in XBC1.

Enlighten me?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I only just noticed that dorky little dance Nia does during specials :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Thats dumb considering we get two explicit party member hook ups in XC1's endgame/epilogue.

And uh yeah, the Pyra/Rex stuff goes somewhere