Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is an in-game gatcha, yes. You get Core Crystals of different rarities and when you use them you roll a random Blade, influenced by various things you can do. The game saves when you roll so you can't savescum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now that reviews are out I can basically say my opinion which is:

If you liked Xenoblade for the mechanics you'll like Xenoblade 2. If you liked it for the plot you might not. It's far, far, far closer to a Tales of (x) game than Xenoblade 1 or X.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Shame Xenoblade 2 has turned into a loving generic predictable anime shitfest instead of the pioneer the first game was. The thing that made the original such a standout was how it broke traditional JRPG tropes (inns, saves, battles, you name it) but also offered a cast that was incredibly likable and a story that had really cool "WHAT THE gently caress" moments. The anime tropes that were in it were overshadowed by what the game got right.

... Did we play the same Xenoblade? "Broke traditional JRPG tropes" is the last thing I'd say about it. It literally begins wtih the plucky over-talented young proagonist's village being destroyed by a mysterious evil force and ends with you using a lightsaber made of friendship to kill god. The battle system it used (which I like) is basically an MMO-style combat system in a single player game and it is by no means the first big JRPG to do that. (Even discounting the Literally An MMO ones like .hack.) I mean frigging FFXII exists and I like it better. I also can't think of any particularly huge surprises in Xenoblade's plot except maybe the absurd ending rush which is JRPG as gently caress.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 30, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Any more detail you can give to why you feel this is the case? It's a bit disappointing to hear but on the other hand I've loved most of the Tales games I've played so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

It does make me wonder what exactly the secret sauce was that made XB1's plot work so well for me.

To be honest I'd say that it's basically got a weaker start than Xenoblade 1. It follows some kinda-similar ideas but how Rex and Pyra meet is incredibly generic and it takes a fairly long time for the plot to kick into gear. It just feels more cliche from the very start and while I think it does some things well (without getting into spoilers), it never quite hits the same feeling to me as Xenoblade at its high points. My feeling on Xenoblade 1 is that not long after the truth about the Mechon reveal it starts to feel a lot more Traditional JRPG and Xenoblade 2 kind of starts in that zone instead.

Note that I wasn't that impressed with Xenoblade's plot overall. I liked the characters and worldsetting. But I thought it had a strong opening and it drew me in much easier than Xenoblade 2 did. The character designs impacted that a lot too. Pyra is absurdly hard to take seriously.

Calaveron posted:

It was very much like a very specific subset of the Japanese cartoon media genre but the characters were written as smart and knowledgeable that they played with those tropes well (the robot girlfriend, wizened mentor, strong tough childhood friend) and when they fulfilled a stereotype they were likeable and original about it (all those aforementioned tropes)

I don't see that at all to be honest. Most of them are certainly likable but I don't really see original. I don't think that's a critical dealbreaker mind you and I do like Xenoblade, but what it doesn't borrow from JRPGs it borrows from mecha anime.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 30, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lessail posted:

I do wonder how the exploration holds up in a gaming sphere with tons more 'open world' games and specifically the Switch having BotW and Odyssey

It's honestly kinda average. It's fun in comparison to Tales or Star Ocean or other similar kind of RPGs but I admit I spend a lot of time missing Xenoblade X's movement options. That isn't really fair though as they're different kind of games but still. It's basically More Xenoblade in that regards.

Electric Phantasm posted:

How does Tora compare to Riki, character and gameplay wise?

With the specification of me not being quite as fond of Riki as a lot of people: He's... okay? I don't really like Nopon much and he's pretty much just a cheerful excitable Nopon character. Gameplay-wise the whole Artificial Blade thing is an okay gimmick but the characters aren't quite as diverse as in Xenoblade 1 due to the customization options so he doesn't stand out as much as Riki did.

That's actually one of my personal problems with the game. Blade Customization allows more options but it also means the characters feel less distinctive. I liked Xenoblade 1's cast all having REALLY distinctive and unique playstyles and Xenoblade 2 is more like a midpoint between that and Xenoblade X's Everything Is The Same feleing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

ImpAtom, how is the combat this time around? It actually looks fun to me this time around, and not as much as a clusterfuck as X was, even though I enjoyed that.

I think it's pretty solid. I actually like the cooldown system though I can see it bothering people. It feels a bit better balanced to me than Xenoblade 1, especially with you having the option to not spend sidequest EXP so you can control your leveling curve better. It's certainly more cohesive than X. However it is less cohesive and structured than Xenoblade 1 with less distinctive characters. Overall I liked it and had fun with it, but I also tried to keep my levels low and I freely admit that there were a whole shitload of mechanics I only half-understood because Xenoblade 2 is terrible about teaching you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh right, I heard about this in previews and elsewhere that for whatever dumb reason, there is no way to access tutorial screens after you initially get them.

I am hoping that they fix that in the prerelease patch or whatever, but I will try to remember to use the screenshot button.

Also, sidequest experience being spendable sounds really cool as someone who spent their time doing all the sidequests the could in 1 and X.

There's even stupider things than that.

There are in-game tutorials which you...have to buy. From a poorly marked shopkeep. Which only gives you a sort of half-hearted two-sentence description of mechanics.

Calaveron posted:

Also what's the name of Rex/Pyra's sword, is it Monado again or just Pyra or what

The Aegis is what Pyra and the sword are usually called.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ventana posted:

Do you mean closer to a Tales of game like, "is more of a generic anime"(*) way, or that it only is loosely connected to the other games by mechanic similarities rather than story connections?

*I don't mean anime as a pejorative. I know you know what posters here generally mean when they bring up Tales and anime, even we both know anime paranoia is silly

Both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The game is perfectly playable without understanding all the mechanics and honestly a lot of them are self-explanatory but if you're not familiar with JRPGs it can be easy to see getting overwhelmed by stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At very least failing QTEs seems to increase the chance of an enemy showing up, which isn't always a negative (farming core crystals) but does slow you down if you're just looking for cash and not wasting time on a fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All the Xenoblade games seem to be actively disdainful towards completionists to be honest. Cross is probably the nicest of the three and it's still glad to shoot you the middle finger over and over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

I assume by Cross you mean X?
I would say the first two are just sort of normal grindy JRPG level. There's a difference between "there's a random chance you'll complete this no matter how long you play" and "If you stick at it you'll do it" like you can with the other two.

There's still plenty of random chance drops in Xenoblade 1 even for important things like *upgrading your skills* and lots of weird undocumented poo poo that isn't technically random but is close enough without consulting someone else's guidework.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why did you say that. I wasn't disappointed about that until now and now I'm SUPER disappointed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bird Law posted:

Since XBC2 has sold so well, and Square is targeting the Switch for smaller games like Octopath Traveler, a remaster/remake of Xenogears makes a ton of sense right now. It's Xenogears' 20th anniversary this year, I know they couldn't finish the game for 2018, but just the announcement would be huge.

While they're finishing the 2nd disc they could even add some Xenoblade connections. Eh, it'll probably never happen, but my hope for a properly finished Xenogears never goes away, XBC2 just brought it back to the forefront.

Xenogears would be an insane, insane, insane game to remake. It's easy to forget but it was absurdly huge even in its unfinished state. Even if you went relatively low budget for its remake that's still a whole shitload to do, not even discounting the things like "the game would probably have to be voice acted for more than brief snippets" now and while Hikaru Midorikawa will voice a mecha protagonist for a sandwich and some beer that's still a whole shitload of text.

It's not impossible but a remake of a super niche JRPG that was infamously unfinished isn't really high on anyone's priority list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much the entire reason for Soul Voices was because in XB1 everyone ended up going for the proto version of that mechanic because it was far more effective healing than actual dedicated healers without breaking the flow of combat (again, like actual dedicated healers) so they just made it part of the mechanics.