Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Crawfish posted:

Nintendo of Australia's twitter account may have more or less spoiled two eventual party members with the way they have worded their latest tweets.

Entirely obvious choices on who they are, but nothing we definitively know for sure based on pre release media alone.
Is Akhos one of them? He's cool and reminds of the Canas from Fire Emblem 7 (a dude who is so nerdy about studying that he just reads so many books on dark magic that he is a powerful dark mage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just started chapter 3. I've probably gone through 15ish cores? I have Boreas for Rex and Agate for Nia. I found a Sealstone Earth. To open it I would have to grind a common earth blade to earth mastery 2. Is that worth it, or should I just pass most of these field skills if I don't have them?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Tae posted:

Do not grind for skills. You will open up another mechanic in your menu involving Mercenaries in a couple chapters.

No seriously, don't try to do sidequests immediately until you have all 5 characters. They don't go away for the most part.
Cool, kind of what I thought/was hoping. I've done more salvaging, Tiger Tiger and sidequests than I probably should have, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

It's ok to do sidequests if you want, the bonus XP you earn doing so gets dumped into the characters not currently in your party when they join, so you can just powerlevel them up to (or in my case, above) where your party is at by resting at an inn as soon as you get them.
Yeah when Nia rejoined she went up to 19 while everyone else was at around 15.

Duckula posted:

Trying to get 50,000 points in Tiger Tiger is taking it’s toll on my sanity.
I've only unlocked stage 1, but got 60000 on my 4th or 5th run I think. I got it from getting three bonus medals. I think it was from collecting every ruppee looking thing, having full health at the end (if you get hit and lose an upgrade but pick up a health tank you still keep it full) and collecting every chest. That gives an extra medal which boosted my score well above that threshold.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Starting chapter 4. I'm getting ready do sidequests for Vess and Kassandra. Now I have boreas and godfrey on Rex and Agate and Azami on Nia. I'm going to give Vess to Nia. I know Overdrive is restricted, but am I crazy to put Agate on Rex? Then he will be able to topple launch and smash with Myra/Roc/Agate. It seems worth it for midgame and then I'll never give him another blade.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just opened up two rare cores at the end of chapter 3. actually got 2 rare blades (Kora and Gorg). I’m going to spend an overdrive protocol (my first) to give Rex topple launch and smash. I think it’ll be worth it for long periods of the game.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ugh. Just got Morag. I had saved up 30 common cores and 4 rare. I got only Dhalia on her. Overdriving Agate to Rex was the best decision I ever made though. He dominates everything.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Crawfish posted:

I assume if you get the port gate key early, you can just bypass like all of that bullshit and run straight to the Old Factory.
I did exactly this. But there was a side quest that took me to all those other factories or buildings that weren't the main factory afterwards and I was amazed I didn't see it. Maybe I went there for Agate's sidequest? I love Agate btw, and I am wondering if in her sidequest we are literally going to discover agate the crystal because she wants to name a mineral after herself. The only problem is the quest requires mining in 8 areas. Right now I've mined in 6? So at least 2 more areas I have to find so I can't unlock her affinity until later game I'm assuming.

I also now have KOSMOS on Nia and Zenobia on 4. I guess I'll save Zenobia for a while, but too bad, she seems cool. I really like 4, but right now the only tanks I have on her are Newt and Kassandra. I really like Newt a lot, but she definitely clashes with Brighid. I actually got Zenobia on her while hoping for Finch, and when I pulled KOSMOS I was actually hoping for Perceval.

I've used 2 overdrive protocols since you seem to be able to farm them and I'd rather use them than horde, but there really needs to be a New Game+ where you can assign the blades you already have to characters you want. I'm really enjoying the game, but it is frustrating to have so many team building restrictions placed on you when you get blades you like but can't even use them where you want.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Technically it's only postgame content if you do it after you beat the game :eng101:

I've spent the last like 30 hours in game running around doing sidequests (or spamming pouch items for affinity) in chapter nine even though it makes literally zero story sense for me to be able to.
I've done a bunch too. I'm over levelled, I'm no levelling up in Inns any more for a while I decided, but it is a lot of fun.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also, what do the sealstones do? I've found three of them so far but each time I destroy one nothing happens. Blade-related quest or some plot poo poo I haven't gotten to yet?
Yeah, bladequest for Zenobia. I really think it would have been fun to start the game with Zenobia and slowly kill all the unique enemies throughout the game. By the time I got her it required me to stomp a bunch of sub level 30 uniques which seemed kind of boring when I'm level 50 and wasn't going to use her right away so I stayed away. I've mentioned this multiple times but I really hope the new game + lets you carry over blades (all or some I don't care, just please).

Zore posted:

Yeah, poo poo with Tirkin is really :yikes: in general tbh. A lot of sidequests go some uncomfortable places with them.
I felt kind of bad for them in Kassandra's side quest. I also had no idea they could talk before that sidequest which made me feel a little bad about murdering a bunch of them earlier.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Taear posted:

If the blades had their costumes redesigned and were all the results of quests I think a lot of it would work tonnes better.
Yeah, the other weird aspect is how for some (Boreas) you can power up all the way immediately (requires either 100k or super strength 4/nopon wisdom 3 which isn't very hard when Poppi handles most of that alone), for Perun I think you need to be at chapter 5 to unlock tier 3 of her chart and some I think have sidequests that would take a very late game to do. I do really like the blades a lot, there are just a few things keeping it from being amazing. The other aspect is how much better some of these side blades are than Dromarch, Brighid and Pyra, but I have to look at those idiots the entire time (I don't hate them, but am glad that in NG+ we at least know these guys will be unequipable by sending them on merc missions).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Taear posted:

Perun was the first blade I unlocked and I couldn't get her to level 2 until I'd unlocked Indol and also got Argentum to Dev Level 3 as well as doing a merc mission to upgrade the board game shop. That's a loving long time without level 2 unlocks. And it's not like she's extremely strong or anything. She's just...normal.
Meanwhile I unlocked Herald last night and have her at 3 already because it just requires doing some specials. And the lady with the insane legs that you buy for 500k just needs you to drop off some money at her warehouse.
I knew you had to get to Indol, but I thought that was for level 3 affinity not 2, wow that's especially bad.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah and for most rare blades 9800 trust is just way to much.

It should be like half.
Yeah, to finish Newt's sidequest that you can start relatively early you need to be at affinity tier 5 to unlock level 3 of her special skill - Titan Weapon Knowledge. So I started this quest on chapter 5 with a character I got on chapter 5, but I either have to eat a million pouch items or wait forever to finish it, which is also frustrating. Especially since I think I'm just going to bench her due to not being able to unequip Brighid even though I like Newt better.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Oh wow, didn't know about that. Thanks for that. Now it just seems like my damage output is too low. I guess I still don't have a good enough understanding of the combo system and using it effectively.
I forget are there chips by that point in the game? Have you put them on your blades? They really increase the amount of damage you do.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

Arrgh. My game seems to be broken; I had a crash after the Malos boss fight in Chapter 7 (before thinking to save, why does this game not auto save except to make blade spawning more annoying :bahgawd:).

Now some things just don't seem to work anymore:
- Can’t start Perun's affinity quest because Silas never shows up. (I had almost finished the quest before the crash.)
- Specials don't charge beyond level 1 in some (not all) fights. No idea what triggers that.
- Most suspiciously, the fast travel map no longer shows landmarks, and only works randomly (it sometimes refuses to let me warp to landmarks, for no discernible reason).

Any tips? I'm not going to go much further into the endgame with such a glitchy save, but it would suck to have to restart. :bang:
On the fast travel map you can turn on and off the landmarks. I accidentally turned mine off and thought i had a glitch.

Is pyra currently in your party? If not you can’t do almost all sidequests because she’s in the cutscene.

I think you can’t go past level 1 then because you’re supposed to be in a dungeon that restricts ether. Finish chapter 7 and most of this stuff should be fixed. You can turn on the landmarks yourself.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Sean posted:

I posted a few days ago about not being able to defeat Akhos/Malos at the end of Ch3. I got some decent advice but I still can't win. I'm extremely irritated. I went around doing other stuff for a while and grinding some levels. I found a shop that sold anti-shackle stuff so I'm less affected by that. I switched to Nia so I could control the healing on my own. I even practiced the chain attacks and started pulling them off for the first time pretty consistently.

My hurdles still: I can't get my other two characters to attack Akhos. I know the other dude has taunt but even so once they target Malos I can't get them back; I'm aware that switching targets is R+A or Y but my controlled character is the only one that listens to my command. Chain attacks don't even come up so I can't get to stage three; I think this is because dudes keep dyin'.

I don't have any way to record or stream, but could someone help me out please? I can't believe how long this is taking me. Maybe I don't have enough skills unlocked on characters/blades?
so the left dpad button (next to your blade switching) makes your teammates target whoever you targeted. Maybe that will help?

Edit: beaten twice

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Sean posted:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. This was the game changer for me. I beat it on the first try. What that means is that I was almost solo'ing him to 50%HP with Nia alone previously...
Cool, good job! I'm only in chapter 8/9ish. I do think the enemies get more frustrating, but you get so many more options to deal with them that it gets a lot better.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Perhaps foolishly, I like xenoblade chronicles 2

I can't say I liked any of the villains at the end of the day, but hey
I like xenoblade and I really like Akhos, possibly more than any of the protagonists (other than Agate).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm playing through the game in the last chapter, I had a heart to heart where Everyone talked about how we're going to defeat Malos.. Is this the final boss of the game?

Also still missing two blades Vale and Adenine, both seem good on Nia, so I'm pulling for them on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thanks for the help on the final boss. Sounds good.

Hand Row posted:

I am a weirdo who likes the gacha system. Put a guarantee to get a unique after so many and include a few more in the quests and I would be happy.

I never really cared about getting every single one and I liked the randomness. Otherwise I probably would just spoil how to get the best ones. I also used ones I probably never would have if I could just build my perfect setup.
Yeah, I really like how my roommate and I are attached to different baldes from who we got early. I would also not hate a system where there are is a rare core crystal for every rare blade, but don't know which one you will get when, but will eventually get them all without randomness.