Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

I've just started playing this.

Why is the catgirl Welsh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All Gormotti are Welsh, ya numpty.

Oh god what hell have I walked into.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Momomo posted:

Easily the best part of the game, you did.

I really have no idea how anyone could think badly of the English dub. I've enjoyed it a lot and really don't care that they changed some names. Also calling it anime while somehow decrying XB1 wasn't is really just peak using it as a descriptior for "something I don't like".

Because I have been to Pontypool and I never want to go back again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

So I'm, inadvisably perhaps, playing this in small bursts across the week.

This means I feel like some of combat's been lost on me because of my memory and I have a few questions.

If I build up meter for a super, am I meant to start out with a level 1 super and then try to build enough meter for a level 2 super to combo off it?

I sometimes see notifications in the top right of my screen during combat if the fight goes for a while, what's going on and why are they there?

The game said I'd generate more meter if I timed specials to coincide with auto attack hits. Am I meant to push the special button when my auto hits or am I meant to time it so the animations sync? Also how do I know if I've succeeded?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Pierson posted:

1: Yes
2: Not sure which notifications you mean. What do they look like?
3: You want to use an art immediately after the swing hits and the damage number pops up. If you did it right a small white circle will burst out of your character.

Also speaking of Gold Chips how does the drop-rate increase work? Does the weapon that strikes the killing blow/Smash need to have it for it to work? Do the effects stack at all?

As I recall it's a blue notification in the Top Right. I can see ability names that I don't recognise. It happens without me using a super.

Edit: Also what are the timings I need for quicktime events? Do I have to push the button before the meter runs out or am I aiming to do it just as it's finishing up?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

A few hours in. Pyra's awesome because fire is awesome.

But drat girl how long have you lived and managed to avoid backache?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Okay so I heard there was something important about selling items together. How does this work and how do I do it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Is there any way to switch audio to Japanese?

Honest to god, I never thought I'd ever choose Japanese audio over English, but this dub is absolutely heinous.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Press minus and go to setting (you have to have downloaded a patch to get the JP audio)

Oh sigh.

I'll tolerate it. Pyra's voice is nice at least.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Amppelix posted:

Man I don't understand people. "Heinous" dub? You have not heard heinous dubs if you think this is one. It's not amazing but it sure aint bad. Plus everyone has wonderful accents instead of boring american ones.

I'm convinced katana-wielding drivers are just the worst enemy in the game. They have completely unreadable counter moves that you're clearly supposed to be able to read, break/topple/launch combos, and the ability to almost OHKO you whenever they drat well want with sword bite. None of these are fun and somehow they're all coalesced on a single enemy type.

If I wanted to listen to people speak in an awful Welsh accent I'd go to Swansea and then shoot myself because I was in Swansea. And for some reason the Empire is Scottish, and not even the nice Edinburgh accent, but people trying some weird mix that ends up sounding like a Glaswegian went through a blender.

But that's not even the worst. Rex's accent is meant to be English right? Where the hell is he even from? It's like an person from England listened to a person from the US attempt an English accent and then tried to replicate it. Seriously if you're running an English accent weirder than my own you've got a problem.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Amppelix posted:

I saw someone on twitter say it's northern english / yorkshire, and why wouldn't i trust this random twitter person, so there's my answer.

It's not a Yorkshire accent for sure. It's probably somewhere near the region, which makes it an accent from the armpit of the UK and like nails on a chalkboard to anyone from the South.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Goddamn there's so much poo poo going on.

I just got a new blade dude but he looks like a loser and Pyra's awesome so I don't want to use him.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

I just got a common core.

Do I want to use it straight away or hold on to it?

Also what do boosters do and how do I get them?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Okay, so it says when I hit a level 3 on a dude they get an orb of the colour that I hit them with.

What exactly do they look like? I'm kinda unsure if I'm actually doing this properly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Why is there a gacha game in a game I paid full price for?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Axle_Stukov posted:

The good: The rares are in most cases just that, rare, and not actually better then the regular joe blades(2 stars and higher, 1 stars are pretty garbage).

The bad: It's a loving gacha game still.

Okay, here's how you actually do it.

Some blades are tied to killing world bosses. Some blades are tied to going to world viewpoints with the correct character. Some blades become purchasable at certain town development levels. Some can be salvaged up.

I can keep going for a while with this. All of it is better than a gacha game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

The excitement of getting a rare blade.

The disappointment when it's a tank and therefore is worse than Poppi.

Also the disappointment when it isn't frost/electric/dark/light.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

So I've hit chapter 4.

Is there a way of farming Rare core crystals? I'm kinda bummed because the only rare blades I have are Wind or Earth based which is super boring when it comes to team strats. So I kinda just want to farm out a bunch so I can play around with actual options.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

I just made Nia a double healer. Is that wrong? Like I burnt an overdrive to get a healing rare off him and onto her.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Jesus christ, would it have killed them to just have the Noppons speak in regular English.

I just tune out anything they say at this point because it's so grating. It's not cute when literally every other word is some sort of mangled English phrase.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Why does Rex want an Axe blade so badly from a gameplay perspective?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Dirk the Average posted:

Launch. He can topple with Pyra, launch with an axe, and then gets a story-mandated blade that lets him smash. So long as someone breaks the enemy (Nia is really good at this), he can complete the whole driver combo by himself for lots of damage and some extra drops.

Ah I see.

Wait, how do I even do that with blade cooldowns?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Holy balls this is some bullshit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Spite posted:

Zenobia is the best axe blade. Agate isn't bad either.

Wait there's a blade named after the kingdom from Ogre Battle?

I must have it.

Additionally, is there a list or summary anywhere of sidequests I don't want to miss? I'm enjoying the main plot at the moment, but I'm worried I'm going to miss particularly good sidequest rewards if I don't do all of them.

Even if good rewards aren't missable, I'd appreciate just knowing which sidequests I can safely ignore.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

No, no. Ogre Battle came first.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

voltcatfish posted:

Zenobia is probably the strongest blade in the game that isn't named Mythra so yeah, you should probably get her

She's completely RNG based right? I've just got to throw core crystals at a character and pray?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

So Rex's is optimal setup is what? Pyra/Roc/Xenobia then? So he can do the full driver combo?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Ytlaya posted:

They did a pretty good job with her expression there, from my recollection. I remember getting an impression that it was a mix of disappointment/sadness and a sort of acceptance because she knew all along what would happen.

I feel like 200 is a hilariously low number to throw out as an example of a high number of cores. 2000 would be more realistic.

And you have to sit through the cutscene 2000 times?

Jesus christ this game is like overall good with so many terrible small decisions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

So I'm around Chapter 5 now.

I thought the voice acting would break me, but it didn't and I'm growing to like the characters.

Rex especially, which stuns me. He's basically generic anime protagonist, but he's so goddamn earnest that it's really hard not to just like the guy.

And I can see his entire relationship with Pyra is headed straight for some sort of disaster, but drat, I really want to see what kinda of disaster that is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

I wish Overdrives were unlimited. I've run out so no more blades for Nia I guess.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Calaveron posted:

Even worse gear system and a plot that is actively insulting

Zestiria's fine enough, but the endgame devolves into stacking fire damage and spam casting wall of flame over and over.

The combat in general shares the problems that modern Tales games have which is that combo based gameplay is amazing to get right, but if a player knows what they're doing they can trivialise the entire game. The solution to this is giving all the bosses massive amounts of super armour which means that even though you have great combo setups you can't actually execute them because your opponent is a) a trash mob that dies straight away b) a boss that super armours through a bunch of the timings.

The plot, yeah, it could be a lot better. There's a lot to like about the individual characters and their interactions though.

And a hilarious accidental bad ending you can get.

Edit: Really do pick up Berseria if you haven't already, it's honestly the best straight up JPRG I've played in years.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 9, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Taear posted:

I feel like I'm one of the few people who really doesn't care about combat. As long as I have a decent control over when it happens (which Xenoblade is good at) and it's got an interesting variety of different enemy types that's fine.
Some games like Divinity 2 make me feel like Combat is the most important part and I have to pay shitloads of attention to setting it up right and doing it right.

I guess it bothers me that in both ToZ and this the story is so out of my hands. That's just part of a JRPG though.

I mean there's no game's combat I hate more than Divinity's.

But I'm really really weird.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Is there any way to stop everyone screaming attack names? Like I use 4 over Tora because she's just quieter.

As an aside, 4 managed to draw evil dark samurai and frost justice man as her two tank blades? Worthwhile on her or should I aim to pull more stuff? I think I'm about to get 5 soon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Man it feels like Zeke doesn't really do anything in game. It feels like he's meant to be an attacker but Mythra is so amazingly ridiculous that he's never going to take Rex's spot.

Also is there any fast way of unlocking dead core crystals? I just went and cleared up some sidequests I've missed and have a bunch sat unusable in my bags.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, he's an attacker. If you want to use Zeke then... do it? Kick Rex off your team. Go on, try it. He isn't required to beat anything in the game. I've beaten the hardest superbosses without him or Tora and I wouldn't say I'm even particularly good at the game.

I got bored of Rex around when they introduced his third... fourth? I lost count... super attack/mode/whatever that only he can do. That's boring. Rex, BENCH.

I mean I like using Rex because I equip Mythra, scream "Enjoy the blender," and spin around like I'm Juggernaut in Dota. It's more that I think the game is begging for a fourth active combat character. Dedicated Tank/Dedicated Healer/Dedicated DPS is both very strong and very simple to build around and mechanically Rex is far and away the best DPS, Nia is your only healer, so your only real choice is on Tank and I suspect that won't be one when the final version of Poppi unlocks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

IcePhoenix posted:

Just so you know, the final version of Poppi is a sidequest that you get from going back to Tora's house in chapter 8 and talking to someone. I'm not sure the game ever tells you this is the case, they're probably just expecting you to be going back for Tiger Tiger every now and then.

Yeah at some point I'm heading back when the ether I get from Tiger Tiger is good so I can unlock the Dark core.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Holy poo poo this game just piles on the bullshit Rex powerups.

Okay I guess, I'm just never using Zeke again then.

Like I tried him, don't get me wrong, but he takes about an hour to charge specials that take Rex half a second.

I'm on Chapter 8 right now. I'm close to the end right? I'm still interested, but I'm reaching the point where I'm ready for the conclusion and will get frustrated if it doesn't show up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

IcePhoenix posted:

The game has ten chapters. You have a lot of cutscenes ahead of you so there's probably at least 5 hours to go but it's pretty straight forward the rest of the way if you want to just blitz the story.

Okay that's fine then.

I guess I'm never actually unlocking Theory after I spent ages getting her though.

Also no rare Axe blade ever apparently.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Can they fire the person who made the final Poppi quest please?

Hey you know what we'll do, gate Poppi behind Forestry 5.

And then we'll also gate her behind 90 mins of merc missions.

Genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

It's a game that makes its macro decisions; plot, characterisation, overall battle system well and then has a bunch of micro decisions; blades, equipment, progression that are awful.

So it's a game that you end up enjoying whilst being infuriated by all the small things it gets wrong.