Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
ARGH WHY ARE POPPI UPGRADES GATED BEHIND EVEN MORE RNG.

For gently caress's sake are the Devs ruled by some sort of malevolent Random Number Generator that they must pay tribute to before making literally any game system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm on Chapter 10.

Chapter 9 was basically 2 hours of cutscenes. I assume 10 is more of the same?

Because if so I'm sitting down tonight and grabbing some popcorn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I finished the game.

Holy poo poo I felt like crying when Mythra died. I was about to goddamn swear of JRPGs for never giving me a goddamn happy ending until she came back. A+ Monolithsoft, I was worried at times but you nailed the landing.

I'm so glad I gave it a shot, for all my frustration it was really really fun.

Man 2017 was a loving spectacular year for gaming looking back.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Finished the game. Well that was a crazy ride. Not sure how to feel about that post-credits scene, though. Okay, nullify Pneuma's sacrifice, and suddenly Pyra and Mythra are two separate people. I, what? :psyduck:

I mean, it's set up, the Pneuma's core crystal contains all her data so she can regenerate from it as long as it's not damaged right? Honestly, I was okay with the fake out, I genuinely believed that they'd follow through so it was emotively draining and I was elated when they came back.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What they should've done instead of the Harem Ending is just restore whichever one you chose at the start of Chapter 8.

Meh, Nia's already there, at that point might as well go full Harem

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rirse posted:

I'm on chapter 7 and how the gently caress do you beat Jin and Malos. I'm level 54 for Rex and level 57 for party member 4 and 5. I really don't want to have to grind, as that didn't really help in previous annoying fights.

You grab taunt resistance on everyone you can and then turbo one of them down with a chain attack just as they hit 50%.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Open enough blades with Rex that you get a 1/2* axe blade.

Then stop, because that's all you need on him.

From there horde your core crystals until you get your fourth party member and then open all of them.

If you get a strong healing blade or two overdrive them toNia.

That's about it really.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Man who's Lora's voice actor and why wasn't she the lead in Xenoblade 2 instead of Northerner who has been put through a blender.

Edit: HOLY poo poo THERE'S AN ENEMY AGGRO TOGGLE?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

5 is always guaranteed to be enough to trigger a full burst, 20% is the minimum meter gain per orb.

Note that I said 'normal content' because everything has massively under-inflated HP values in Torna and even a 5 orb burst will do 50%+ life to anything in the normal game content, and it's very easy to go from 2 -> 5 orbs in a single combo. Sneak more in if you know you can still nail the full burst with them though sure.

The practical implication of this is that your first combo being Fire->Fire->Light and your second Being Ice->Water->Wind is probably your easiest route to maximum damage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm having a little trouble getting back into the swing of things.

Mainly because whenever I get to a new area I have to grind out mobs to activate parts of the skill tree which is such a pain.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Wow Haze is goddamn wild, you just sit there and your party are unkillable gods.

I find the lack of dedicated healer annoying. I want to be pulling out mad dps while someone else handles that poo poo. But I can't rely on the AI to do it properly when they've got 2 dps options available.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Finally finished up Torna.

Some thoughts:

The Blade System in this is so so much better than in the base game. It still needs work, I think having to kill x number of random mob in random spot is still way too much of a pain for what should be granted through level ups, but good job Mono on fixing things up a bit.

Combat's better, but XB2 I honestly think has a problem with combat in general where it doesn't really feel like I've much control over a fight beyond making GBS threads out DPS and hoping I can activate a party combo at 50% before the boss oneshots someone.

The sidequest padding is pretty egregious. There's a lot more to explore with the Torna characters that we never really get to see. Seriously, what is Hugo's arc? Does he have one? What are his motivations beyond the empire? Did we need so many sidequests with such a short main quest and so little exploration of these guys?

That said I like the characters a lot more than the original cast apart from maybe Morag and Zeke. If anything Lora and Addam are pretty strong cases for why Rex should have started the game a fair bit older, there's no emotive range that they lack from being older and it stops the whole 15 year old protagonist thing which is super super weird eventually.

I was a fan of Mythra, much more so in this game than in the original and given that I liked Mythra more than Pyra that means I feel like this is the best incarnation.

Seriously I can't remember a single facet of Pyra/Mythra's personality from 2 beyond that they like Rex and keep secrets. Mytha starting the game being a gigantic bitch and slowly getting over herself was good to see and something I enjoyed. (also her absolute cattiness with Brighid was hilarious)

Overall, good DLC, would liked more main quest and fewer sidequests.

And holy poo poo that ending was such a loving gut punch. I've not come close to crying at a game for a long time but just having to watch as people I liked got picked off one by one was horrible.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 15, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Microcline posted:

XB2 probably has the worst system around its DPS/tank/healer system in that for the most part its balanced around having each one play a rigid role, with the DPS dealing almost all of the damage, the tank taking almost all of the hits (as everyone else is extremely fragile), and a dedicated healer being expected (while in XB1 it was quarantined to Sharla and XBX realized dedicated healers weren't fun). XB1 was overall pretty well though out/balanced in terms of how your character might speed up damage for a short time to take aggro from Reyn (so you can take a few hits if he's looking bad) or Fiora (if she's built up too much and you need to buy some time while the tank's aggro generation gets back on track).

I'd put XB2's gameplay problems down to
1. Dedicated healers (don't do this)
2. A massive number of unexplained or poorly explained mechanics that range from irrelevant to game changing
3. As the lack of QoL demonstrates the game was shipped in pretty much open beta with no balancing

Counterpoint dedicated healers are good as long as their healing is interesting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

I tend to not be too bothered by this. It is super common in a lot of RPGs so maybe I've just gotten desensitised, but I think it's a difficult problem to solve. What do you do when the player party is supposed to lose the fight for the story to make sense? You can just create an unwinnable fight, but that doesn't tend to be too fun to play. If you want the player to also have a climactic and satisfying battle, gameplaywise, it seems to make the most sense to just make it a normal-rear end boss fight and then say something like "you only managed to fight them off for a bit!" afterwards.

Otherwise you can end up in some sort of janky halfway solution, like a fight in which you need to survive X amount of time, after which you automatically "lose", but if you actually lose before that you get a game over. Those have never ever been fun.

I mean the latter solution works well if there's a small cutscene where the bad guy unleashes their superpower and you reenter the fight clearly outmatched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Chronojam posted:

Adding to this, anybody who is a real blade is impacted, anybody that's not isn't -- so if you've got Shulk or Fiora they're also good to go.

A healing blade with a level one special heal is very useful there, I think Nim fits the bill nicely iirc

The real secret is to turn off enemy aggro and just run through the entire thing because gently caress that area.