Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why did they change the names anyways. did they think if a westerner sees a non western fantasy name that they'd be unable to comprehend the game or something.

In general it's possible for certain kinds of names to carry particular cultural connotations that are completely lost on foreign audiences, so it may be appropriate in a localization to change them. I have no idea whether that's in play here because I’m almost completely ignorant of Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I hit a rare on my second common core crystal, so my conclusion is that this game is good.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

I've watched the GameXplain video like three times and have played the game for about 10 hours and I still don't think I understand the combat. I get the art cancelling on the third hit stuff, I get that it charges my driver special. That's when it kind of falls apart, I'm doing driver combos and blade combos since I see things being unlocked on blade trees for those "do x combo" requirements, but I feel like I'm just kind of pushing buttons.

If someone could answer/explain my next question, I think I might be able to piece how this stuff works. So when Tora's indicator comes up that says "Stone", do I want to use that first or use my own special first? I can't actually find "Stone" anywhere on the character sheets, is Stone the combo itself? GameXplain says that in order to do combos the following special has to be a level higher than the last, how am I supposed to know what level Stone is if I use that first?

Also the little grid that pops up is confusing as well. I get that it's an element grid or whatever, I just can't make any logical sense of the layout.

“Stone” is the initial special move for Poppi's default element, Earth. It doesn't actually matter what level Poppi is charged to—if she's charged to level 4, she’ll do the level 4 Earth super-move, but for the purposes of blade combos when no one else has used one yet, this still counts as using Stone.

The little tree that appears afterward shows you that you can combo off of it with a level 2 or higher special of the fire or earth elements. If anyone in the party has that element, you'll see a little colored box either on the sides or bottom of the screen with their portrait and the name of the follow-up special they can do. (The sides are for your companions and the bottom is for your lead character. The companions will automatically switch blades if one of their alternate blades has the appropriate element, but the lead won’t switch unless you do it manually.)

Once you or your companions charge their special to level 2, a button prompt will appear in this box (ZL/ZR for companions, A for your lead), and if you hit it, they’ll do the combo move. Then the process repeats, except now you have to reach at least level 3 to do the next move in the sequence.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 2, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I have no idea how to get to Umon’s Shipyard through Greatspine Boundary. The marker points me downward but then I hit a lake and a wall and I can’t progress

You have to climb over the spine of the Titan and then back down. The compass marker is profoundly unhelpful for this. It needs to be low tide for you to get down the other side.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Echophonic posted:

You can get them from salvage. Seems like you can start getting them some some consistency starting in Chapter 4.

Does anyone have the blade combo list? I'm trying to figure out how to build combos that use Mythra.

When you salvage using normal cylinders at the dock at the very beginning of the third Titan (Mor Ardain), you’ll very frequently spawn these hermit crab things that are guaranteed to drop both a common and a rare core crystal. Happy hunting.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

No they don't. You have to do miniquests for characters that have trophy markers over their heads. The two I found were buying cookies from the kid and throwing money off the tower in Indol.

These two work, and there are several earlier on as well. I think sending 90,000G back home at the beginning of he game counts too.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

horchata posted:

finished chapter 4

is morag a permanent character? I don't want to devote time if not

Yes. You can check whether someone's going to be permanent by seeing whether they can resonate with any core crystals or not (Tora aside).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

So, Beastly Core Crystal's finally cooled off. Who should get it, Rex?

Rex is a strong choice if he hasn’t gotten any other rare attackers. Otherwise, save it for 5.

[Late game blade mechanic spoiler] Rex can freely use any blade eventually, so it’s best to give him as few blades as possible. He always gets Pyra and Roc (plus a two-star wind healer with knuckles), so I like giving him Wulfric from the beastly core as his only other blade. This rounds out his set of attacker blades. Once you unlock Rex’s special ability to equip any blade, you can transfer Wulfric over to the fifth party member if you like.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People who use the last party member, any idea really how to fit them into the party? Do you just make Rex a tank or a healer and swap out Nia/Tora/etc for them? Doesnt seem like theyd make a terribly great main healer or tank themselves.

Rex makes a good healer once he gets a certain plot blade.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm at the point in the story where I'm heading to Zeke's home city. Is that sort of a "point of no return" where I'm going to start losing access to stuff until I finish doing plot for a while or am I still good for a little while? I'm sorta burnt out on sidequest stuff and want to start continuing the story again but I also don't want to be in a point where I have to mainline the story because I don't have my stuff.

You are still good until close to the end of chapter eight. The last zone that you can get all the way through without triggering any real “point of no return” (and it's a relatively minor one in this game) is called the Land of Morytha.

However, if you’re concerned that your party will get disrupted or something: it will.

(Elaboration on the timing of this.) The point you’re at will cause you to lose a party member pretty soon. You’ll get the party member back for a little bit, then lose them again at the end of the chapter until you complete the next one, which is quite long. So yes, you will get put through some plot stuff that changes your party composition for a while.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 14, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I got a perfect (non-pacifist) run on Tiger! Tiger! stage 5!

https://twitter.com/sa_zoran/status/941387605555286016
https://twitter.com/sa_zoran/status/941387726120632320

…Why did you give me a third dark core I can’t even use, game? :mad:

I want my light core.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Turn it into ether and build a light core?

You can’t. Light cores and master role mods are the only parts you can’t build, and they seem to only drop in the big chest in stage 5. I’ve gotten a Master Luck Mod (useless) and also Master Tank (+HP/Tank role) and Master Strike (+Dex/Attacker). I’d really like to get the Light core and a full set of Master Evasion mods so I can stack +25% agility modifiers.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Why is a master luck mod useless?

Luck and Ether mods make Poppi's class Healer, but Tora has no healing arts of any kind, so you mainly just out on the durability or attack power offered by the other two classes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some Poppi modes can equip a mod that creates healing potions with all(?) skill usage, and you can equip it as a tank too.

Yeah, so you don’t need to be a healer class. The actual class makes the potions stronger, sure, but it also drops aggro and changes AI behavior to send Tora after potions and disengage from enemies.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Tae posted:

Did 4kids write half this dialogue.

I'm looking at what is clearly rice balls. Those are not dumplings.

They even reference salt, what the gently caress.

I laughed at that bit for exactly this reason.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How the gently caress do I find the Dragon's Stomach in Uraya

I feel like there's some upper area I don't know about

Salvage a whole bunch. You can do this efficiently with gold cylinders as early as chapter 4.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

MechaX posted:

So I'm in the middle of Chapter 3, and... uh, are the battles supposed to be taking a long time?

Even when trying to do Blade Combos, even random battles are taking a really long time and Rex does like poo poo damage.

The pouch items that recharge arts (all sweets, and a few high-end things from the other groups) go a long, long way toward making combat more dynamic. Soon you'll also be able to equip more blades, so you’ll have more opportunities for elemental combos as well.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Try traveling to an inn and using some of Rex's bonus XP to give him a level advantage?

I agree, it sucks.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Devoyniche posted:

Who should I give Ageaeon to? I was thinking Fourth(this is the only character it does make sense to spoiler because the game does kind of hint that they are kind of your enemy when you do meet them) since it's kind of given to them in the cutscene anyway and they're like brother and sister, or cousins or something that makes the weird sort of "loyalty and love" aspect kind of uncomfortable especially since that one guy is literally like 8 years old.

Sometimes I think my poo poo's all retarded though; I dont really know who to try to put on who. Ive got random blades on random dudes. I got Zenobia and Finch on fourth already, I dont know if they're any good--some people are saying Zenobia somehow works better on Rex, but I put Wulfric on Rex since someone said spears were good on him and another person said Wulfric's moves were better used by the player than the AI but someone else said Wulfric is actually better on Fifth. Rex also has Kora who somehow happens to be one of my better characters, Ive got Nia using Nim and Dromarch, I had her try to use another guy but she would keep getting us killed by trying to start taking with Azami (who actually I feel like Nia would benefit from the ranged character) or that frosty knight, justice-loving guy. I havent really used Fifth all that often - I kind of want to but he absolutely cant hold aggro, which Fourth has been able to do surprisingly well despite what some people say.

I know it doesnt matter because you cant entirely control the gatcha stuff, so minmaxing is pointless, but there are some fights where I can just steamroll everything and then others where I just get wrecked in like 3 moves and I think those situations, it does come down to who's using what blades and skills, elements, equipment and bonuses and poo poo.

I havent really "planned" or payed too much attention to poo poo like "classes", Ive just sort of stayed at a close level to the mobs, and focused more on what my characters are capable of rather than any real "role" and I think that's how youre supposed to play the game, but not being able to move your blades from one person to another makes me kind of anxious about it; even though I get that they were going for it being kind of an "immersion" storytelling thing about how blades are a part of the spirit of whoever unlocked them and you cant just go around changing that or tossing that around from person to person(it does kind of make me wonder about the "special" blades like Vess or Roc since technically wouldnt they always be changing too depending on who unlocks them?)

The other reason Im worried about who to put rares on is that Im approaching that point where my rares have maxed out their field skills but arent able to clear the skill checks anymore and I know people were saying there is a wall you can hit with that, and if you arent spreading out your rares, you wont be able to have enough of them simultaneously active to clear those checks and you either need to grind the skills or do something else because you cant get the rare field skills on generics, outside of "______ mastery" or any of the collectable boosting skills.

You don't have a choice for Aegaeon.

Because of the stacking class bonuses and the way that each blade's class influences the AI, it's generally best to keep your healer stacked with 3 healing blades and your tank stacked with tank blades.

Whichever character you're controlling can break out of this mold because you have more precise control. For example, I've seen builds that had no real healer, but instead exploited Ursula's heal-on-switch passive ability alongside accessories that speed up blade switch cooldowns and the World Tree Drop (that's the name of an item, not something unique to the World Tree or anything), which gives stacking damage bonuses every time you switch.

Don't give any more core crystals to Rex.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The real prize on common blades is the Orb Master skill, which at max rank puts the blade's orb on enemies 100% if the blade is involved in any step of a blade combo. It's grossly overpowered because it can help you build 8-orb chain attacks about three times as fast.

If you have a ton of rare blades that ended up on the "wrong" characters, you're probably better off releasing them and rerolling. For example, you could try to release all your rare Healers (and only them) and then constantly resonate with Nia until she collects all the healers herself.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh and all the name changes were stupid and pointless and I have no idea why they did it. People buying this game weren't going to light their switch on fire if they saw the name "Yoshitsune" instead of "Arkhos"

Because in many cases the localization conveys the intended meaning of the original name (or a suitably analogous reference) to a non-weeaboo audience? Like "Homura" doesn't mean anything to me, but "Pyra" definitely means "fire." Or sometimes the changes tie in with the choice of local accents on the different Titans. "Mor Ardain" comes from the Scots Gaelic word for pride.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 16, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Andrast posted:

That sounds like a gigantic waste of time

It's more useful to do as you go along. Like for Polyanna, above, who was basically out of good rare blades to stick on later party members: release some of your seven attackers so that #5 has a decent chance of collecting some, instead of desperately rolling over and over again for the last three or so in the deck.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I just went through 35 fully-boosted legendary cores on number 5 and got poo poo

Then pulled two on Nia and got KOS-MOS and Zenobia back to back. Now only Floren is left, but I have to transfer at least Zenobia to number 5…

Zoran fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 17, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Got Floren on Nia—from an unboosted Rare Core. That’s my last one. :toot:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

One thing that really annoys me is that the game makes it even harder to cross-class people by giving driver combo moves to almost none of the off-class weapons. For example, none of his healer blade driver arts have those effects, not even his late-game plot blade.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Kinda wish green-haired super saiyan Pyra/Mythra had a unique name. Pythra? Myra?

You will learn more at the end of the game.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why do you not have Nia healing? Also why are you only using two party members?

Yeah, in party selection, move over to the guy who's currently out and press X.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Taear posted:

In other news, the quest that requires you to go to the hot springs in Mor Ardain, how do I get to them? The door is locked. Guides say Jac gives you a key but he never gave me one!

Upstairs in the inn, go out the back way.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Taear posted:

I have no idea how I'd have found the hot springs without asking here, for example. It's like it expects you to dedicate hours to just WANDERING trying to find the secret magical way to go.

I knew to check there because of the story scene at the hot springs, which you trigger at the inn.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

:stare: when you use KOS-MOS on Nia to do a full burst :hellyeah:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Full burst is only ever triggered by the 3rd party member right? I really want to do it using someone like Rex not not have to manually control Nia or Tora to do so since their damage is garbage compared to his.

Not necessarily. I think you need ten points, and in each round, you get 2 for the first orb you pop, 3 for the second, 4 for the fourth, and so on. You could pop three orbs in round 1 (with some specialized setups) and then get the last one with whoever in round two, I think, and there are all sorts of ways it could go if you take more than two rounds.

It's just that later in the game, by far the most common setup using Rex's special powers causes you to burst two orbs in each of the first two rounds, with the last one coming courtesy of your third party member.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm in the middle of chapter 8, I think I genuinely missed it.

You learned important information about Nia.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Filling out affinity charts gives you weapons manuals, with the quality increasing with the blade's rarity (number of crowns). Releasing blades gives you boosters, the quantity and type of which depend on the blade's type and how much of the affinity chart you've filled. The exception is for four-crown blades (not five) with completed affinity charts: releasing those gives you one overdrive protocol and nothing else.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Dear Tiger! Tiger! Stage 5,

Please stop giving me dark elemental cores. You’ve already given me 8. It's impossible to use more than two.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Break them down for a ton of ether crystals and make the elements you're missing.
Also if you're at chapter 8 there is a sidequest for a third poppi form.

I’m aware. The only one I’m missing is the light element core, which you can’t craft.

It's impossible to use more than two because Poppi's first form can’t be dark.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 22, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Several (almost all) superbosses are not immune to break, but they’ll reliably resist it without a high-end Beta Scope.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The level 1 Mastery of Thunder locations are in Garfont and Fonsett.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Invenerable posted:

Can someone with the plot healing blade explain to me how to trigger this? I've tried doing level 4 specials with both blades in question while my thread was gold, and no unique combo triggered. Did I miss something?

There's a story event that unlocks it, I think in the final chapter.

Also, you can gain the affinity with either form of the Aegis.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Another dumb question: what does Stench actually DO?

It makes blades stand farther away from their driver, slowing or stopping affinity gain. You also can't use specials when you’re too far from your blade.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Speaking of rare blades, there's a distinct lack of elemental variety for healing blades. All healing blades are wind, water, electric, or ice, with the exception of one rare earth healing blade. I often have to do more finagling with my tank and DPS to make sure I have the full elemental spread.

Each of wind, ice, electric, and earth has a Bitball and a Knuckle Claws healer. The only water one is Dromarch. But yes, no fire, light, or dark.

quote:

edit2: One other thing - is it just me, or should Ursula's "Heals 40% of party's HP upon performing a Blade Switch" be ridiculously good if the healer is controlled by the player? You can switch blades really quickly if you're cancelling out of driver arts, and that's like a free big heal art every 15-20 seconds.

It is very good in the hands of the player. It’s slightly unfortunate that Knuckle Claws don’t give any driver combo moves to Rex, who is otherwise the best character for the player to control, but you can abuse the accessories that speed up blade switches and give you extra damage for each blade switch.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

There's a couple of minor spoilers in that image, FYI.