Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

just started this, this game's deal seems to be making me think it's not xenoblade and then torpedoing that thought

me: im not sure about these characters, seems kinda dull overall
*AWESOME BOAT FIGHT*
me: nevermind

me: these areas seem pretty linear and easy, this isnt xenoblade at all
*stumbles onto some open plains where i am immediately ambushed and murdered by a level 2 billion bird*
me: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

When the criteria is "one of the best" and the argument is that he's like fourth or fifth (because Dahlia is probably better as well) at best out of ten healer blades (one of which your main healer can't even equip) then no, it does not. :colbert:

boreas is one of the best for me because I have none of those other blades, eat it nerds

also is it normal to spend 100 hours and only just reach the start of chapter 6

i have A Problem, I am addicted to loving around

e: well I have Dahlia but I also can't access her 3rd tier yet so she's busy cooling the bench

don't talk to me or my fat wind son ever again

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 19, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ajkalan posted:

Boreas is easy to max out and has useful field skills, but he is sadly unusable because in his Salvaging Mastery voiced line he makes a sucking/slurping noise that is disgusting to hear and means I refuse to ever have him equipped.

he is thirsty for hot salvage, who are you to judge

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I liked the story, it was fine. the characters are really well done

I think it's just failing in comparison to XB1 which was one of the best games ever made, kind of a big shadow there

Barudak posted:

Its what I mean. The main goal doesnt change and no new information that alters the stakes is gained until near chapter 7/8 and by then the game is ending so you end up with a final dungeon that compresses the remaining narrative to wrap it up. In the interim to that point the game basically stalls you out as much as it can; Vandham, the thief kids, and Elpys basically just exist to make it take longer to get to what for most games would be the Second Act Twist.

It doesnt help that boss fights that end with you losing reinforce the feeling that your party makes no narrative progress

stop grinding your teeth into dust every second someone isn't laser-focused on the goal and just enjoy the ride

i admit the finale is a bit compressed but i don't think everything beforehand was worthless because things weren't constantly being upended

E: also I never really felt like things were meandering, probably because I did a shitload of meandering on my own so there were huge gaps between story scenes where i was just loving around and getting murdered by giant birds

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

XC2's story is a lot like a B-movie. If you can watch a crappy movie and laughgroan when appropriate you'll enjoy it. I kind of rate it like Fire Emblem or Tales games where the main story is terrible, but the characters are enjoyable. It's a lot of fun, and once you beat the game it's got kind of a pokemony postgame where you can just kind of take your time and take things at your own pace. Honestly I feel like the sidequests needed to be portioned out better, there's a lot of lower level quests that you're going to miss until you're way overleveled.

the level curve of the game is actually fairly well-done right up until mor ardain where the monster levels are high but the game expects you to be like 5 levels lower for some reason

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh hey im at the postgame, might as well hunt for this ursula everyone says is so great

*proceeds to get literally every single other rare blade, none of which are wind/ice, while using truth boosters*

thanks video game

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ajkalan posted:

The game is showing you mercy

i did laugh out loud when i was only missing kos-mos and ursula and kos-mos shows up

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FrantzX posted:

There are multiple, multiple people as Monolith that need to be beaten with a textbook on UI/UX best practices.

i'd go for whoever decided the gacha thing was a good idea first

like I get what they were trying for, to make every play-through unique, but in practice it's just a huge slog

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ursula drop already

if not for me, then so poor arduran can rest in peace without me constantly shaking him down for prizes

e: how i'd fix it is make all the rare blades story/quest/hidden treasure chest rewards, do away with commons altogether, and make overdrives buyable(but expensive)

it would incentivize exploration instead of raising a super cow to beat it like a core crystal pinata

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 2, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

It's almost worth it for that one spy Nopon that talks in an unsettling British tone with the usual Nopon speech patterns.

i love nopon-speak because of when they go weirdly dark with it

like that or Nopon Breaking Bad in xenoblade 1

Momomo posted:

Yeah I don't have a problem with how they spoke. The fact that the game treats it as totally normal makes it a lot better, since they're just guys that had to learn a new language and have an accent.

this is part of why the nopon worked in general, they're an active part of the game world from the very start, unlike whatever the gently caress that thing was in xenogears that only existed to make xenogears.jpg

also some nopon who are scholars or children of immigrants in XB1 speak normally which is a nice touch

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 3, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i finally have All The Blades, I don't know what idolm@ster nightmare ursula's affinity chart has brought me into but whatever, i just beat up a giant cow for 10 hours i'm down for anything at this point

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ursula's almost done, it actually turned out to not be as big a hassle as i thought since i had a ton of affinity charts to max out for other blades

bizarre deformity posted:

Question about Poppi: is there a difference between skill RAM and skill upgrade? Or is skill upgrade just more slots to put skill RAM parts into?

Also, what's up with her affinity chart for special attacks? Does having a higher level increase the effectiveness of specials enhancing RAM?

Skill upgrades are just more RAM slots yes, and since Poppi has access to the entire gamut of innate abilities as well as aux abilities she is loving ridiculous with enough tiger tiger time(stack crit abilities and watch as she becomes an immortal self-healing death machine that shreds superbosses)

also I assume the affinity chart for her specials strengthens them but I have no real idea if that's true

E: Morag has the Reyn Problem where she's a perfectly good character who's good at what she does but the other choice is just so superior it hurts

I run QT with a Master Evasion mod and it's worked out fine for me, Tora's HP is already ridiculous anyway and he'll be shifting through forms rapidly since his AI prioritizes driver combos(though it's a crapshoot if he'll Smash), all that's really important is that a and QT can survive and hold onto aggro

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 11, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ocd: hey look new game plus, with a bunch of new blades

me: that's nice

ocd: hey let's do it

me: ocd i have literally spent 236 hours on this loving game, i'm not playing it again

ocd: it's cute that you think that

so i'm playing xenoblade 2 again

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there literally any other way to improve the Poppi series besides a terrible minigame? Anything at all? I can feel myself tense up uncontrollably when trying to do perfect runs for parts and crystals.

if you haven't done it set the difficulty to Easy, it doesn't affect the parts/crystals you get and walls not hurting you takes a ton of the stress off

also don't forget to sell the parts you get

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Pretty much right away. All but one of them are gatcha though so... good luck! :v:

they seem to have a way higher drop rate though, I got them all through one stack of legendaries

e: 5 of them anyway, you have to hunt down the 6th near the end of the game

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

near the end of my ng+ run, i'm lost in the sp mines send help

Thurin posted:

Can someone give me a checklist of easy stuff to do before NG+?
I'm going to take care of some of the side quests I have going and leave some of the ones I've barely started. I haven't killed any of the superbosses, I was going to save those until NG+.
I assume I'm going to have to rush through most of the story to get a full party (and most of my blades) back?

in NG+ you keep all blades from the very start(though Rex can't equip all blades until he gets that ability again in the story, but he DOES have Pyra/Mythra available from the very start and never loses access to them even when they're separated from him in the story) except for Roc for obvious reasons, and Agaeon because god knows why, those two will return at the same affinity level you left them at though. When party members rejoin all the blades they had will also be available for them. It can lead to fun situations like Praxis fighting herself.

Since you basically keep everything it's hard to make a list of things to carry over. Just take a quick lap around the world and hoard some materials if you want.

e: Also, all unique monsters you beat in your first playthrough stay dead and their gravestones stick around so you can fight superbosses real early if you already killed them. I don't know if they spawn before beating the game again if you didn't already kill them

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 21, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh one last thing about ng+ blade availability, Poppi's other forms aren't available at the start but QT Pi is added when QT is so Tora's back at full power pretty quickly

almost got the hidden affinity charts done, then I'm finally done with the game until the next dlc comes out

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Taear posted:

Spoiler for how blades work.

When they visit Cole they imply they're only okay because of something that Jin or Malos are doing. So he's dying because he isn't getting whatever they are.

to be fair, Jin kinda did his flesh-eating totally impulsively and is falling apart by the time the game starts, so his didn't work out so well

shortspecialbus posted:

There is quite a bit of game before it isn't an issue so it's not terrible to overdrive a blade to Rex, especially Gorg I guess. Everyone still worries about that too much, both with treating overdrives like precious gold and with getting the RIGHT BLADES ON THE RIGHT DRIVERS. The game simply does not require that level of min/maxing at any point during the main game, side quests, or post-game.

I unlocked like 90% of my Blades with Rex and I had enough Overdrives to still get a well-rounded team on everyone just from what the game gives you, it's really not that big a deal

Rex himself doesn't really need anything besides Pyra and Roc though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Etrips posted:

So... Started the game a few days ago and just hit Chapter 4. I got the expansion pass so I have a good amount of core crystals. Should I be saving them or just blowing them as I go along (rares+legendarys)? Is there a more efficient way to use them? Should I be using them on one character until I get what I want then switch to someone else?

try to stack as much luck as you can on a character before using them, but besides that feel free to burn through them as you get them

also, don't try to get all the rare blades unless you're an idiot like me, but if you do a quick tip: only the characters' highest trait counts for element chance, so if you're only missing an ice blade just make sure your Truth is higher than anything else(via boosters or whatever)

otoh i was missing an ice blade and proceeded to get literally every single other rare blade i was missing, from every other element, while fishing for it so who the hell knows

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 28, 2018