Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I really have no idea how accurate these accents are (I''m assuming they're authentic) but it was kinda hard to parse a lot of those lines for me. Hopefully it'll be better in the game proper.

I didn't get the chance to play XCX, but I'll probably pick this one up just because the first game was so good. It looks a lot more... well, obnoxious, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do you think the hatbulb lights up when she has a clever idea

If it doesn't then I'm returning the game

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

For me Xenoblade was good not because it was different, but because it took a lot of JRPG tropes and made me actually care about them. The very beginning of the game was absolutely amazing, and I was disappointed when it changed to a teenage boy who finds a magical sword, but once I got Sharla I ended up really appreciating the team of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla and was almost a little disappointed Dunban was a permanent party member (it did not help that you only have a team of three).

I didn't really like Riki though, it really didn't feel like he was a necessary addition.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I'd be overjoyed if the game ended up being as good as Graces.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I'm about an hour and a half into the game so far (probably meeting Pyra soon I imagine) and I'm enjoying it a lot. Rex seems like a pretty good guy, and I can get behind him just wanting to make some good money while also maybe finding a solution to that whole "everyone's gonna loving drown eventually" problem this world has. The voices are also good too, just like the original Xenoblade. The way people billed it I was pretty worried about this stuff, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

So whenever I tried salvaging, the first input has never seemed to register. Is this supposed to happen?

Also I just noticed Nia's ears appear to be backwards. That's gonna bother the hell out of me.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

So I just finished chapter 1 with the first big battle. This game kicks rear end.

I'm not entirely sure why Pyra doesn't just go to Elysium her own drat self though since she seems way more adept at fighting than the guy that got the sword five minutes ago though. At least Rex immediately too the opportunity to get some revenge on the rear end in a top hat that stabbed him in the back, instead of waiting for them to leave like I figured they would. Rex has a good sense of initiative.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Is it alright to just use core chips? It sounds like the weapon permanently changes and I can't change it back, so should I be waiting for something before I use it?

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I'm of the complete opposite opinion, I can't imagine this game without the English voices.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I've only done chapter 1, but them keeping Rex in the dark makes complete sense. He's a hired contractor, why would they tell him the details about what is obviously a political stunt? As far as Rex is concerned he's working for a couple days, getting a shitload of money, and keeping his mouth shut.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I was saving my beast core for whatever character I got after Tora, and I'm glad I did because it fits Moran's look perfectly. Also got the huge gun lady for her which looks even more perfect with her style.

I'm really enjoying the game even if it took a really long time to get more party members, and the game is telling me I've spent like 65 hours playing even though I'm only on chapter 5. There's no way that's right, that's just silly.

Also, I have no idea how anyone could change the voices to Japanese. Nia alone completely justifies this English dub, and I can't imagine what she would sound like with any other voice.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I've gotten absolutely nothing from the rare cores, all the unique guys I've gotten have been from common ones.

It hasn't struck me as a particularly bad system, but it's also not a great one. They probably should have just given you the unique ones from specific events. Hell, they already do that with some of them.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

The game may say Falcon Turn, but Nia is absolutely yelling "FUCKIN TURN" every time she uses it.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I have to say, while I'm enjoying the story I am utterly confused as to what nations are which, and who is working with who. Currently on chapter 5: Morag was in Gormott before and wanted to capture Pyra, but then she's in an entirely different place and has no problem with your party all of a sudden? I couldn't tell you who's at war with who at this point.

Also they started talking about Malon's Driver and I was racking my brain to remember who that even was, and they piled on like five other characters and I'm just so lost

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Stage 4 of Tiger Tiger is some bullshit.

On the off-chance I somehow survive to the end, there's no way I can get back up. I have no idea how someone is supposed to get the "no damage" or "all treasure" trophies for this level.

I feel bad because I like Poppi but hate Tiger Tiger. Then I see the ether requirements to upgrade her and I stop feeling so bad.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

So I got to the end of chapter 5 and Jin stabbed Fan in the chest and she apparently died, but aren't Blades supposed to be essentially immortal? I remember someone saying earlier that they can have anything happen to them and they'll be fine.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

You know, it has bothered the hell out of me that Rex was promised 100k after finishing that first job and it never came up again. Give the boy his money, you fucks.

Also, Tora "borrowed" a titan and a ship from his uncle, immediately destroyed it, and this is never brought up again. That thing was probably his livelihood!

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I'm not sure I really get Chain Attacks, and it always seems super risky to use them since you have to use all three bars of your gauge. I'm not sure how to get the orbs to appear on the enemy, and I'm confused on how to break them too. Are you supposed to match the element of the orb, or do the opposite?

I've used Driver Combos as the way to do the most damage, since they synergize the easiest with also getting up to level 4 of your Special Arts, though I have been mostly ignoring their effects and just go for whatever I can manage to get.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I'm having a lot of trouble traversing these maps. I'm on the main quest in Tantal and it told me they have three hours to do... something, but I have absolutely no idea how to get to the lower levels of the map. This sort of thing has been happening a lot, and the waypoints really do not help at all.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Wind is the opposite of what, I've spent this whole time thinking it was Earth. I figured it was Fire/Ice and Elec/Water.

...Though to be honest I have almost entirely been ignoring the elemental weaknesses, this game doesn't seem to be married to the concept, at least not as of chapter 6.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

So I got to chapter 7's big reveal (at least so far) and I was wondering how I'm supposed to take Nia's "I love you" to Rex. Am I supposed to think of that as romantic love, or just in the same way Rex meant it? Really hoping it's the latter since I really like Nia's relationship as essentially the Reyn of this game, and don't feel like they really need to add a romantic subplot to it.

I'm also torn as to whether I use Nia as a driver or Nia as a blade, since she seems pretty drat useful. I'll probably still keep her as a Driver because I'll be damned if I give up FUCKIN TURN.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Chapter 7: I can say I ever expected Nia to Kenshiro a motherfucker cause god drat, that was rad. I mean there's no way Malos is dead from that, but it was still great.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to beat him using Blade Nia, but Full-time Healer Nia was the reason I won, so I guess that still counts. Having a pit with enemies in a boss fight with a guy that can blow you back was really rude, by the way.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I've had Boreas for what is essentially the entire game and have not figured out what it wants me to do to unlock his past his first level of skills. I haven't found any stash to add food to in Argentum, I can only assume it's behind the door that needs Super Strength.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Party Meiser posted:

Or pay the nopon to open the door. Haggle with him to save 100g

It actually wasn't the door I thought it was, and was in fact a completely different door that also required Super Strength and Noppon Wisdom (though thankfully 1 less so I could actually break it) to open.

Well now that I unlocked all of Boreas' levels, I sure hope Nia's hungry...

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Yeah, Nia's English voice is so clearly the standout in this cast that I really don't care what the character was "intended" to sound like in the writers' minds. I also like Rex's voice, though there are definitely times where both of them aren't as emotional as the scene clearly meant for them to be. I got to (Chapter 7) the scene where he first unleashes the third blade against Malos and Jin and while the VA was clearly trying his best, it wasn't quite as good as it should have been.

I can't imagine what this game must sound like in Japanese.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

bef posted:

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYya

I don't remember any yelling like that from him, but I do remember Nia's "AIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIIAIAIAIAIAIA" whenever she uses a special.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

My tanks are around 40% Block, and to be honest... I'm not really sure what that even does, is it supposed to be like when fighting enemies and your attacks just bounce off them (Rex goes "Ahh, I missed! and whatnot)?

Also I've been using the 4th character as a tank and completely ignored their evasion move and they've been totally fine. I like Tora and I like Poppi, but Tiger Tiger is terrible and her upgrade system is just confusing enough for me to not want to put effort into using it.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

The biggest problem with this game is the mercenary missions. I'm trying to grind Ursula's quest right now (which is apparently all I have to do?) and I am giving each mission the bare minimum of blades because otherwise I'd have to sit through their levelup screens. It really is a huge oversight that making missions take longer is the more desirable solution because of your UI.

Other than that, so many of the unique blades I've gotten essentially have the exact same structure to their sidequests. Foren and Electra's and Phoenix Girl who's name I forget and Agate all seem to have the exact same thing, talking to random people in each country and hoping your skill is high enough to actually continue. It's really obnoxious and boring when all they did was change what skill they each needed.

Also, sidequest structure in general can be pretty annoying. I'm glad they didn't really go for many collect x quests, but so many of them involve going to a place, killing something, going back, getting another objective to kill something else, and then getting the reward if you're lucky. I kind of dread turning quests in because I know they're going to ask for more.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Chapter 9: All these people sure are calm for their entire continents just deciding to start fighting a giant tree. Also I really haven no idea how society relates to these titans physically, I thought they were supposed to be on the titans' backs (except Uraya which is inside). Surely these titans moving around like this would throw everyone off. Same thing as when Tantal was diving under the cloud sea, how are these people supposed to be staying on?

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I've essentially been ignoring pouch items for anything other than skill requirements and it's been fine. Feels more like what they intended as the flow of battle instead of gaming it through animations.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

It does and it doesn't. You get any benefits from unlocking it but you can't progress on the node ahead of it (unless it's something that counts retroactively like Sheba's "gold spent at shops")

It's the opposite of this. I shoved 20 sweets down Nia's throat and Boreas got all four of his levels at once, but didn't his Noppon Wisdom check didn't give me the level until I looked at the screen.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Is there a point of no return? I got to the Final Chapter and want to make sure I can still do stuff.

Also were there any important quests in Indor? I lost the ability to go there a while ago, and it doesn't seem like I'll ever be able to get back.

U-DO Burger posted:

My 6 year old daughter just used an empty roll of wrapping paper as a megaphone to announce FLORA HEALS AN ACHING SOUL

Please open your hearts to me.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I feel like I don't quite get bursting the orbs, because it doesn't seem to go left to right and instead looks for whatever orb is weak to the element you just used. I've gotten screwed over because of that (though I admit part of it was that I didn't have every element covered).

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I don't like the idea of keeping each character segregated by a specific role, so I haven't bothered using Overdrives at all. I also got lucky and Nia ended up getting most of the healers, but she's also gotten the only unique tank blades I've rolled. My fourth keeps getting all the attackers, and my fifth is kind of a wild card.

Also (minor lategame spoilers) ...Did Tora go the entire game thinking Morag was a man?

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I've been wondering about those, is there a "right" answer to each one that gets you a longer scene, or did they flesh out both options?

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I like Tora waaay more than I liked Rikki, since he's actually part of the plot and was able to make Poppi essentially by himself (even if he didn't make the blueprint that's still really impressive) and had his own section of the game.

A shame Tiger Tiger is so unfun though because I really don't want to put the effort into getting parts for Poppi because of it. I know it sounds crazy, but the game feels harder with easy mode, like enemies do more damage.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Oh god what hell have I walked into.

Easily the best part of the game, you did.

I really have no idea how anyone could think badly of the English dub. I've enjoyed it a lot and really don't care that they changed some names. Also calling it anime while somehow decrying XB1 wasn't is really just peak using it as a descriptior for "something I don't like".

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

Didn't say the dub was perfect, but it was still very enjoyable. Mythra as a character has problems other than her voice acting anyway (mostly why was her character even necessary).

As far as this game being cliche, it totally is. I don't think that really matters at all though, because it's about the execution that makes or breaks a game, and this game usually does pretty well at being an entertaining ride.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

The weird racist part of the game was when the party found out about an assassination attempt and went "it must be those no good bird people that are doing it!", proceeded to try and murder them, and faced no repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

I think it's more important that Nia walks around in that awful mustard yellow outfit. She's my favorite character, but I really wish she had better fashion sense.