Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

British/Australian/Irish accents, game confirmed Not Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

Dark titsanime is a senkags purist who doesn't accept the unserious non-3DS games

Yeah, he doesn't like the canonical games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well the idea is with gacha is that you'll be brimming with Blades you can send out on excursion missions and give you items/gold and increase affinity without having to keep using them in your party.

I am not sure how sending someone away repeatedly and telling them to never come near your real friends makes them like you more, but video games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

KOS-MOS confirmed for Smash 5.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kinda wonder if they'll try a rerelease of the Xenosaga trilogy again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I feel like the only person who generally likes the designs, even for Rex (BITCH I PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS DO NOT COME AT ME ABOUT DUMB PANTS)

Rex's dumb pants are several levels beyond KH.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Ill admit that glancing at pre release footage had me worried about the combat being slower (dulller) than the others but once it gets going and gives you more tools it settles into its own groove nicely.

I guess this isn't an issue in the actual release, but one of the previews just kind of hangs on the start of a chain attack for like 20 seconds. Was it a performance issue or just not inputting commands or something? 3:38 if it doesn't go to the correct time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QesNU8CkW2A&t=218s

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel kind of bad for all those basic blades that are instantly discarded the second you awaken them. Especially when the game is trying to tell you that Blade's have feelings and you are just throwing them all away to get to the shiny ones.

Blitzball playing robot with a Texan accent will never be loved :(

Maybe you are just freeing them, like the genie in Aladdin.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If the synch is really bad it can be really distracting.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

XBX also named all its stats and attack types really confusing things like Gravity, Laser, Punch and other dumb poo poo that just made minmaxing a slog

Ether and beam were the only ones where the weaknesses weren't really clear as I recall. Fire, electric, and gravity are pretty straightforward. I feel like I'm forgetting one, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I more or less just started this tonight, and Pyra is cool and strong and my friend and I hope she still gets to at least cutscene fight later on.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 9, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How are you at a point where you have met Pyra but not seen her cutscene fighting?

I meant continues to, sorry.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Who drew Jin

I think it was Nomura.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm amazed that someone managed to get Nomura to design a single standard uniform for them all that almost looked practical.

I mean, Organization XIII.

Also, Nomura rules, both ironically and unironically.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This game has excellent frog textures.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still very early on but I hope the general tone stays the sort of Saturday morning cartoon-ish style it has been so far.

Also Morag's accent seems a bit inconsistent.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Are there points where you lose side quests or am I okay to wait on some of them?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this game is... I can't tell if it's trying and failing to take itself seriously or if they're okay with baka gaijin me laughing at everything

I'm pretty sure it knows exactly what it's doing, and the answer to your question is yes. I mean chapter 2 ends on the worst awkward teen flirting and the game is near constantly pulling anime comic beats. The whole thing so far is extremely Saturday morning cartoon and it's great.

Morag also speaks to the 12 year old in me because what's cooler than a sword? A whip sword. What's cooler than that? Dual wielding them.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 11, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rex is every bit the standard shounen protagonist, but I've grown to like him anyway, which I guess shows why that character type is so common. The accent really does help a lot to distinguish him, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think X only had the prone couple you help get married, though I recall it being pretty heavily implied that your character may have had a relationship with Elma before the events of the game. Also Irina totally had a crush on Elma.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kora is my first rare blade. I hope they are all as talkative.

Also Rex and Nia's little dances during their blades' attacks are great. There is a lot of charm to this game, it's just nice and fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb question: What are the yellow bars under party members' panels in battle?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait you're supposed to just keep cramming pouch items in? I assumed letting them run their course would be best.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rex and Pyra are quickly becoming my favorite video game couple. They're just dorky and sweet.

Also the Torna battle theme is great.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 14, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got Finch on Nia and boy she rrrrrrrrrrrrreally rrrrrrrrrrrrrrolls her rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs on rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrolling smash.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just started chapter 4, and while Mythra's voice is not what I expected, it's perfect. Malos's apparent voice direction of "Yeah you're just supposed to be pissed off literally 100% of the time" remains great.

Rex and Pyra are also still the best couple, and I'm glad their friends support them.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 17, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Got the fifth party member, used 90+ cores and got nothing :discourse:

Just think about the sense of pride and accomplishment you'll feel when you get one, though!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just got the skill for canceling arts into other arts and man it is such a massive game changer. I mean I knew it would be, but it's beyond even what I expected. Your ability to do chain combos goes through the roof.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll never understand people who like X's story.

Like you start the game and there's a cutscene of you joining BLADE then literally *nothing* happens for the entire game until the last 30 minutes with some of the most terribly boring characters to ever grace a video game. Then it ends going on a hilariously pointless cliffhanger and just man what even was that.

It was alright but by far the weakest of the trio

I guess for me yeah the story of X wasn't great, but the scenario it set up (and never delivered on) was cool and I liked the world.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

My wife finds the battle phrases super annoying in this game (especially Tora's) and can't understand why I don't. It's partially because I need to know what they're doing in battle, but also because I could listen to Rex shout "NOW I'M FIRED UUUUUUUUUP!" and "WE'LL BEAT THEM WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" over and over and not get bored.

^burtle posted:

Be honest, it is because you're numb to it. My lady was making a salad in the kitchen the other day and during a quiet pause I hear, "FLORA HEALS AN ACHING SOUL" shouted from the kitchen.

I really like the chatter as well, and Nia's great for it, but yeah Dromarch procs constantly so that one does get a bit annoying.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I keep hearing "Healing heal" instead of "Healing halo."

Also if you haven't, you owe it to yourself to give her hammer and cannon blades.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

nerdz posted:

Why does she look straight out of Code Geass? Is that the same artist

Yes. She's pretty much straight up Viletta.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So, incredibly important story question. For the inn scene before the gang heads to Mor Ardain for the first time, was it Pyra who snuck in and changed to Mythra, or Mythra who snuck in herself?

Also Gramps and Dromarch are consistently a great pair.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

Mythra sleepwalking

basically just dumb anime cliches

Well that's the cover story, at least. Also going all in on the dumb anime cliches is good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

and do a lot of Tsundere 'Its... not like I like you or anything!!!' comedy bits

That's why she exists.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not entirely true

Finch doesn't remember poo poo. Finch is kind of a huge moron who rides her hammer like a pogo stick

Finch is my friend who enjoys everything they do as if it were totally new.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 21, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't listened to the Japanese voices, but I will say English Malos is great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

That wasn't big budget.

It's also a bad game. :colbert:

Maybe if XCX's systems weren't all hosed up, sure.

XC2's combat and other systems (aside from blade gacha bullshit) are a significant improvement over XCX's mechanical clusterfuck. If they actually do a rerelease for Switch they need to get rid of the dumb soul voice healing and just rework a job or two to have proper healing options at the very least. And not gate the repeatable good affinity-boosting quests to the end/post game. Or let you bring 2-3 additional characters in reserve who gain XP/rep/etc as well and can be swapped around like your party members in XC1 and XC2.

Though an obvious addition for XCX would be to add someone from XC2 as an extra bonus character. Add Tora and make his final affinity quest give you a blueprint to construct a Poppi skell. :japan:

Soul voice healing is significantly better than having dedicated healers, which are lazy design.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if the Japanese voices have a similar thing, but I like that the accents the characters have seem to be dependent on the character's region of origin, and that all of the blades are nondescript American (except the Texan ones). I haven't heard enough of Mythra to know if she's really inconsistent, but her introduction at least is good. But I also kinda like less bombastic voice acting on some characters to balance out the more exaggerated ones.

Also yeah, Welsh Nia definitely steals the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I await the Louisgod trip report on Tales of Symphonia.