Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Earnestly posted:

Quick question, is this game gonna suck?

It's gonna suck... all your time up!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

As far as titty-centric Blades go, I think the one with the giant arms is fine. It at least has a gimmick beyond "big ol titties"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lessail posted:

I haven't kept up with much on the game but is it gonna be a plot point that rex can't emote at all???

He's a zombie.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Video games are fun.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

bef posted:

What I don't understand is how Nintendo OK'd some of these designs. Surely they know kids are gonna play, how is giant free-floating titty lady anyway ok? It's a bit absurd

Nintendo wants to lock in the Vita market.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You joke, but they pretty much have already. Once the Vita finally dies in Japan (let alone being already dead and buried everywhere else), the Switch is the best option to develop for for all the little studios that can't afford the obscene budget for 1080p/4K graphics.

I assure you that was not meant to be a joke.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao I forgot that character was even in the game. I can't even remember her name. She doesn't do anything interesting before dying.

All the villains in that game sucked so much.

I didn't even realize she died until much later in the game when another villain mentions it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genuinely surprised that Kosmos wasn't the Blade they're selling through DLC.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

As I understand it, even using Rare Crystals doesn't guarantee a Rare Blade.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

oh good another goddamn slapfight about 'anime'. that always ends really well and has lots of great discussion.

More importantly, have any of the reviews confirmed the Nopon is a permanent party member? That's probably my only dealbreaker atm. Some of the implications in the earlier interviews were throwing up red flags.

He is permanent, unless he gets Aeris'd or turns out to be the Real Final Boss, or whatever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I realize that reads as "He is, unless he isn't" but no one has mentioned him not being one so.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Making video game teeth not look weird really is an underappreciated skill.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Any more detail you can give to why you feel this is the case? It's a bit disappointing to hear but on the other hand I've loved most of the Tales games I've played so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

It does make me wonder what exactly the secret sauce was that made XB1's plot work so well for me.

(It's because there's no plot for a third of the game)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Riki was a Rogue and Tora is (by default) a Tank.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The good news is that when the general public gets ahold of the game you can just ask other players how things work if you didn't fully grasp something.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Hey you know how one of the best parts of Xenoblade was that all of the character's actions and motivations generally made sense and they never really acted like out of character idiots for the sake of the plot? Well, I wish that was in this game too.

Shh, shh, just watch the big action sequences and don't think about it too hard.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Slime posted:

Nia has a normal speaking voice where I'm from. It's hilarious seeing people talk about it because if I heard her in a shop or a pub she'd blend in perfectly well.

Nia's voice is good but it's also not as cartoony as you would expect from a cat girl and while that's normally fine it does feel a little weird in the comic relief bits (like the scene where Rex tells her to watch her step around the rope).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is there really no way to just open up a map screen, beyond just making the minimap bigger? Is there any way to scroll beyond my vicinity in that mode?

EDIT: gently caress, no, found it, I see, it's...okay, it's in a weird place but I found it.

Is it the Quick Travel menu or is there another one tucked somewhere else? Because I'm pretty astounded by how not useful that one is.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey, to those of you far into the game, how do the sidequests trend? Closer to the original or to XCX? It's kind of a dealbreaker for me if the sidequests are bad, it's the primary reason I couldn't bring myself to even beat XC but nearly 100%'d XCX.

It seems more like XCX, but without the quest board. Quests tend to be far fewer in number, but have almost all been multi-step affairs. But also from what I've seen they haven't hit the weirdness of XCX, but who knows we may see an Ice Cream Cake yet.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you miss the part where she adds Her flame abilities aren't derived from fire?

Yes but it's also pointed out that that betrays the fundamental principles of how Ether works, and when pressed on that she pulls the "Um well uh...." bit and Rex stops the line of questioning.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Just your gamer pride.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Now someone explain Poppi

Well you see, Tetsuya Takahashi likes robots a lot,

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

There would definitely be some benefits to that, I'm trying to find favorite pouch items for blades and nobody has made a list yet :smith:

I forgot what the tutorial said, what's the bonus for having a character's favorite pouch item again?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

I'm hoping that if you switch languages and use the cutscene viewer I'm told exists somewhere in the menu it uses the language you've set it to so I can go rewatch and compare and stuff, so if true what really matters is my mood for barks.

The cutscene viewer is on the title screen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sensual Simian posted:

What are the boosters for when opening cores? Should I automatically use all boosters or only 1 or....What the gently caress is a bravery booster and why should I care?

We don't know, but the general guess is that Bravery/Justice/Compassion/Whatever The Last One Is relate to elemental affinities. We think that Boosters increase the chance of the Blade having a specific elemental affinity (if move the cursor over a Booster when you're Bonding a Blade, you'll two opposing elements circling the Crystal).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, for a game that made the Blades a huge part of the marketing push, they seem to be pretty superfluous to the actual game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

That's a relief for me because I really don't like playing Tiger! Tiger!

Stage 2 of Tiger! Tiger! feels consistently easier than Stage 1, if that helps any.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I think you misunderstand, I mean is there any incentive to use other blades than the main character blades (Pyra, Demur).

Variety, specific elemental combos, and field skills, but so far the game hasn't really given much reason for that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

No its pretty bad. Like, even if you think all the voice acting is perfectly fine, lines being repeated extremely frequently is obviously a problem. Also none of lines sync up with the actual models mouths which creates a huge disconnect.

The constant combat chatter is really not the dub's fault, and the lip flap doesn't really match in the JP version either.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a "level cap" on weapon arts? I can see myself trying to max out a bunch of them because I want to use way more than three blades per person but it seems like it'll be an awful grind if I do.

I'd assume it'd be 5, anything higher would mean this game is way, way longer than I expected.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Any particularly good money making methods discovered yet? I’m in ch4 and salvaging & trading collections has been kinda hit or miss and slow besides.

The new town in Chapter 4 sells Golden Tanks for Salvaging. Use those puppies down at that Titan's dock, preferably with Blades who have Salvaging Mastery and work that loop for like ten minutes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Are there no loving blue orbs/crystals in this game??

There are, they show up in specific locations as Collection Points that yield lots of collectibles rather than being randomly strewn across the maps.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

is it possible to utilize roles like Tank on Rex or Nia? so far I only tend to get Healer/Attack class Blades on them. Not sure if each character only gets bonded with certain kinds of Blades.

They can get Blades of any role, but it certainly seems like Rex pulls Tank more than Attack or Healer for me, while at this point Nia has a whole kennel of beast Healers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

After waves and waves of common trash on Rex and Nia*, the fourth party member's first two rolls yield Gorg and Ursula.

*Ok so Rex got Electra and Nia got Perun way back in Chapter 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

This game holds off on new party members for so long it makes you wonder why they even bothered having more than the core three.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Did you forget how long it took to get all the party members in XB1?

It's like if Dunban was still the fourth party member, but didn't join you until you got to Eryth Sea.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

abraxas posted:

One thing that really bothers me about this game, especially in big battles that take a bit of time, is loving loot despawn. What is this and why is it a thing? They already have the technology to make my character hover up everything around him at the end of a story battle that goes directly into a cutscene. But when I'm fighting Largey McBigHuge out in the country and he drops a rare core or two and then I have to fight his twenty adds and don't immediately think about running around like an idiot and picking everything up, poo poo will just despawn. And welp, hope you didn't want those cores/accessories/bunch of money that the big guy dropped, here's 10 gold from the useless add you killed in 3 hits. Same with waiting around a bit after the salvaging scenes play (which, with a bunch of Salvaging Mastery Blades equipped, take entirely too loving long btw). I got a call yesterday just as I finished up a QTE to salvage and when I looked back at the screen a minute later all that was left were two monsters 20 levels below me and a chest.

I really don't think this is a needed feature.. why is it even a thing in this game? Don't even get me started on loot just loving off into the cloud sea or falling off random ledges because hey, why not, it is totally your fault after all that this guy attacked you on awful terrain. If it was just for the gold I'd say screw it, who cares, but if legendary accessories or random other assorted poo poo (especially the drat cores) just disappear into nothingness I get a little bit pissy.

It's so they could fill up the shop deeds effects with multiple "increases item collection radius by 50 cm" deeds.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

I do want to say (Chapter 4) that holy poo poo was the whole abandoned factory badly designed. First, they give me Mythra instead of Pyra and tell me that she's dogshit underground (and oh boy are they correct), and then send me on an entirely underground/indoor mission! I was more or less begging for the game to give me Pyra back because my combos were all built around the fire element instead of the light element, so not only was I saddled with a blade whose level 3 combo barely broke 10k due to being indoors (I assume?), but I could only combo Mythra with Mythra. As soon as I got Pyra back, those same 10k combos were hitting for around 40k or so and absolutely annihilating groups of enemies.

So what am I missing with Mythra? Once she's available as a party member, Pyra just seems better to me in every way. It probably has to do with Pyra's affinity chart being almost maxed out while Mythra's is still ranked low, as well as poorly optimized chips and aux cores (I actually didn't realize that the aux cores/chips weren't shared until after Chapter 4).

I also don't know why at the end of the abandoned factory when the Torna people were escaping, that Mythra didn't just orbital ion cannon the boat as soon as it hit the ocean. Surely that would make the threat from Jin a lot lower since his lackeys would lose their main mode of transportation?

When you have gold affinity, Mythra's Foresight passive gives your entire party a huge boost to evasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Do you need to keep her out or can you change blades after getting the gold affinity and still have it?

I assume she has to be active. Which isn't a problem for me because coupled with pouch items that makes arts recharge more quickly, she's kind of a beast since she can straight up pull a combo by herself.