Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Figured it out, I somehow got the Aux Core shop's menu mixed up with creating them in my head rather than just refining the ones in my inventory :doh:.

How do you open the third Blade slot, because I can only seem to set only a second Blade in addition to Pyra.
Third Blade slot also gets unlocked through the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

TIME TO SALVAGE

(well maybe I can pass that skill check but I doubt it - are there other sources of Nopon Knowledge beyond Poppy?)

Boreas has Nopon Knowledge. Even with him, I'm having trouble getting the 4 levels needed to get in the warehouse, which I have to do to get his affinity up.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I feel like "I have to have Nia equipped with 3 Healer blades because that's her role" is going to be the "I have to have Sharla in my party because I need a healer" of this game. It's okay to put an attacker blade on her, she will switch to it if nobody needs any healing.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Zore posted:

Also something to note for people who are post Chapter 4.

Pyra is way stronger and has better passives than Mythra. Mythra is mainly only useful if you really want to use the light element since its exclusive to her and KOSMOS AFAIK. Its really weird and kinda immersion-breaking to be honest.

And they gear up separately so make sure to buy chips for both of them

I found the opposite to be true tbh, Mythra's skill that recharges Arts when you get a critical hit lets you go ham with Arts if you go full crit fisher build, which let you get more specials, and her Light specials deal tons of damage. At the very least, she's a very good battery for Pyra's Specials if you really want to use her.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Lessail posted:

Seriously how do you avoid feeling like you're dying inside each time you're forced to fight non-bosses in the late game

The new ability you get in chapter 8 is so ridiculously powerful that it feels op. Trash monsters are not a problem if you use it.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

The one thing about combat that totally isn't clicking for me is the Driver Combos. I don't think i've ever pulled one off in entirety. It never seems like I have the resources to somehow break, topple, launch, then smash something with the limited skills available at any given time. Is this basically where you are supposed to use non-rare blades to fill in gaps?

For those only using rare blades, what party/blade combos are you using that have easy access to the full driver combo? My current party is Rex, Morag, Zeke.

I also use that party in chapter 8, and I can pretty consistently get Break, Topple, and Launch at the beginning of a fight - make sure you set the Arts in the right slots so they are available right away. Sometimes Five switches afterward and does a Smash right after if their Blades aren't on cooldown.

I wouldn't ignore it since it's free time where the enemy can't attack you and a straight damage multiplier, but it's easier in later chapters as your party becomes more developed.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a trick to Tiger Tiger that I'm missing? I really, really suck at this game, and I don't get much Ether out of it.

Also, is there any reason to be creative with the roles and classes each character plays, e.g. making Rex a healer, or Nia an attacker? They aren't very compelling otherwise.

Rex gets one of the best healing blades later on via the story, and he really only needs that one to keep the party up. Nia, likewise, will never need the healing that 3 healing blades will give her, so giving her an attacker blade lets her do some damage during healing downtime. Tank blades are also useful to switch to when you need more defense, as your attackers or healers may pick up aggro naturally during a fight.

There's very little reason to have all 9 of your Arts be in one role. Rex gets enough damage output just from Pyra/Mythra, switching to another blade is just a dps loss unless you're doing it specifically for a Driver/Blade Combo.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

chumbler posted:

Soul voice healing is significantly better than having dedicated healers, which are lazy design.

Soul Voice healing was a direct response to the player misconception in XC1 that you needed a dedicated healer (Sharla) at all times.

What this meant in practice though was that you just stuck all the highest dps people in your party because anyone could heal anyone and support abilities were weak, and holding aggro didn't matter much.

It's very difficult to get away from tank/healer/dps dedicated roles in mmo inspired combat, and doing so tends to not be great in practice (GW2 for example). It's not lazy design to have dedicated healers, Sharla just didn't have the same tools that healers in mmos tend to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Prowler posted:

What makes you think they're "made from scratch"? Are you basing it off of that short trailer and screenshots? Because, honestly, those just make the game look like a higher res version of the original game with updated character models. It doesn't really look any different than the emulated version up-scaled to 1080p.

I don't want to downplay the amount of work it takes to do a decent port of a title, but no information thus far indicates this wouldn't be farmed out to a smaller studio dedicated to porting old titles.

??? Think you might need to go look at the original game again, even in the emulator version with the HD texture pack it never looked quite like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfb4Mwo_dY

There's way more geometry in the models and environments. Lighting effects are stronger, and there's more grass/tree detail in the environments. Plus the extra area at the end which was cut from the Wii version :shrug: