Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is handheld mode as bad as I hear it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I started playing it in Japanese then switched over to English. Thought the voices being oddly mismatched to what I expect them to sound like enhances the experience. Knew I made correct choice after rex's first heheeeeeyyy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Think you can take me think you can take me think you can take me think you can take me

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I got the Army Arms girl straight from Skull Girls and I screamed out "NOT ANOTHER loving HEALER" but thank god she pulled a sword after that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mutant Standard posted:

Is there anything to the combat in terms of how enemies fight? It seems like they don't do anything but deduct my health steadily over time and I can just stare blankly at my cooldowns and never worry about what they're going to do.

Im at a place right now where mobs constantly nock me up in the air, poo poo all over me (literally), and if Im not careful will get bumped from one of the ledges making me at best backtrack for like a minute, or at worst make me backtrack for a whole lot more if Rex lands heads first and kills himself

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Homura sort of invokes fire in my mind so pyra makes sense when hear even though it's weird. Didn't know poppi was named Hana in japan. I know that's flower.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is there a way to tell my team to fall back on me? Because I loving hate when the tank goes straight into a pile of poo poo to fight a mob and die in it because its lava.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I asked before but didn't see an answer, is there a way to tell my npc allies to back the gently caress up and fall on me during combat?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I got the 4th character in the party and drat does it feel good to not be restricted by poppi bullshit. She might have a tiny bit less health but I feel like she can tank just as well and somehow even better most of time. Like she blocks/dodges more often. Totally digging her tanking style.

So how do you guys split roles within party? Do you just have all 3 of the same role for a particular character or do you do different combos?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'll loving never unlock her but i gotta give it to the localization team QTπ is a fantastic name

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zore posted:

In Japanese its just Poppi: Elementary Schooler, Poppi: High Schooler and Poppi: College student iirc

Yeah, they use Hana JS/JK/JD those being common abbreviations for students through their education levels.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Vess has an extreme case of Old-Anime Long-Face.

Yeah like all the other designs seem relatively modern anime and heres this woman that looks like she came from a anime/game from two decades ago

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

is the game at any point going to tell me why she is named Poppi when the flower on her person is a Lily

In memory of her sister

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It isn't a good thing. Part of what made Xenoblade Chronicles so good was it went out of your way to remind you that those big open plains you're currently wandering are on one of the Bionis' knees. The XC2 Titans are all gorgeous and really need a good establishing shot to help convey where you are in/on them. Nevermind just seeing what they actually look like.

Not to mention that seeing Mor Ardain from afair really helps sell just how close to death the poor thing is far better than the desert plains of its left shoulder.

You get a second Blade through story progression with Ancient Wisdom.

You gotta loving hope and pray for a Rare Blade like Boreas for more Nopon Wisdom beyond Poppi though.

A guaranteed rare blade has more nopon wisdom, she's the dark hammer tank

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

In the Japanese her name is Musubi. Which is another name for onigiri.

They should have made her English name "Dumpling" or "Potsticker" or something.

edit: Is her English voice acting as obnoxious as her Japanese, because her Japanese voice acting sounds like some hyper-exaggerated representation of a "wifely" character or something, it's hard to describe.

By the way, I get the impression her side quest is going to be a pain in the rear end, because through playing normally and reaching level 50 I haven't acquired enough materials to make even a single dumpling, and the first tier alone requires making 10.

Her english voice is leagues better than her japanese one. She sound human at least

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like finches derpy someone's being taaaaaaargeted kine

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

One more thing is handheld mode hosed?

It doesn't look as good as playing on a TV but its perfectly serviceable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Taear posted:

It sounds stupid but easy mode makes it feel even more of a waste of time. If you're acknowledging it's enough of an issue to do that why have the stupid thing at all?
They could have made Salvaging so much more meaningful by throwing Poppi parts into it instead. Or "upgrade components", you know.

Yeah. An actual system where you would get salvage and use it to create parts for poppi would have been amazing but given that salvaging can be trivialized by the different tanks I'm guessing they thought they needed a way harsher sanity/time gate.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Name changes dont bother me because a good chunk of the people playing it english wouldn't get the wordplay involved in the characters names in japanese. Pyra is fine, it invokes the same image in english as the name does in japanese just probably less hamfisted. Mithra does the same thing as Hikari, again just less hamfisted.

The localization seems fine to me. Only problem is Rex's voice actor cant do shonen protagonist at all. But Nia is way better in english, gramps is way better in english, the regional accents by titans is great and pyras/mithras valley girl accent clashing with everyones is fine too.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 3, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What does bother me incredibly to the point of me shaking visibly was the rice balls into dumplings scene. i thought I was going to have an aneurysm

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

This game clearly needed more time in the oven. I wonder if they tried to rush it for the holiday season.

Almost certainly

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

that owns

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Duckula posted:

I just drew Ursula at 120 hours in game time on Chapter 9.

RIP beargirl

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I haven't even gotten that far yet but Gormott and Mor Ardain's overworld music is brilliantly conducted. Like the first soundtrack, putting on headphones makes you appreciate it even more as you pick up on the more muted nuances of the instruments they used.

I think XBC2s soundtrack is overall better than the first ones but I'm a mitsuda fanboy so I might be biased.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive got more tanks on 5 than I do dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So is the expansion path quests any good or are they like all the other quests in the game, just a varying degree of tedious? I'm guessing most of the 30 bucks worth is going to come with the story expansion in the fall right?