Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, what does that mean? Did you somehow intentionally avoid using them in battle or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, love how X gives an ostensibly level 12 mission with a completely unbeatable level 15 boss at the end. Great stuff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, that's just as well. If you never really looked at the menu you wouldn't have learned that you can't customise soul voices for anyone except yourself, and even then 16/20 of them are half-preset. The defaults are probably absolutely fine for the entire game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's how much fun I'm having with X: i bought a wii u pro controller in 2020 to play it with

God this game owns

It's an unpolished beautiful mess, but it owns

Here's something that happened today: i took on a quest (recommended level well below my own) without paying attention to what the destination was. That destination turned out to be sylvalum, one of the two continents across the sea. I had never been there and there is no obvious route offered. If you start even going in that direction all the enemies quickly jump in level to twice above the recommended level of the quest. Aaand since this was an affinity mission, you can't cancel it or do any other affinity or main missions until it's done.

This is the kind of hosed up situation xenoblade chronicles x thrusts you into with alarming regularity. Quest markers in the middle of super high level enemy territory, unclear guidance, terrible signposting in the world design. And yet, it's kind of cool in how it really makes you feel like the world is indifferent to your existence, and you really have landed on a terrifying alien planet where almost everything wants to kill you and you're just trying to carve out an existence. And i really, really do love the world they've built and exploring it. Exploration is one of my favourite video game activities so i was hoping this game would deliver on that based on its reputation and it absolutely does.

By the way, in the above example the solution was naturally to just jump in the ocean and swim for 10 minutes until you reach the opposing shore (where the enemies are suddenly low level again). Of course!

E: lol just noticed someone warned me about this on this very page and i forgot, although it was a different mission.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I dunno, I couldn't hear it over how incredulous I was at the game actually letting me do this quest this early

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

by the way, here's my beautiful character

The character creation owns but I have one small issue with it; if you change your skin tone to be something radically different like this purple, all the makeup and hair colours also shift along with it. So all my options were various shades of purple. Not very creatively freeing.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 23, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah there are some landmasses, but those areas are full of level 30+ enemies who are very happy to see you should you wander in.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah the one thing XCX got right was the world design and exploration (until you got skell flight then rip). Game balance was completely hosed up though and since XP from combat was affected by level differences you could hit level 30, get an Amadusias, and murder a bunch of small lvl 44-50 enemies to rocket up a dozen levels in less than an hour.

And the MC could do some amazingly broken builds like endless overdrive while popping invulnerability buffs and poo poo, especially if you kept that test gun that did 1 damage per shot but gave 300ap per shot. Just Swap to that rifle every few seconds to ensure you had all the AP you'd ever need for your melee murder combos. And eventually with the right passives you could eventually ditch the gun as well.
Balance being hosed in the player's favour is not a problem. You can always just not do the broken thing. The part where the game balance being poor stings is when you are given almost impossible tasks constantly and it's equally almost impossible to tell whether you're doing it wrong and there was an easier alternative somewhere or if you're really just meant to fight these enemies that are 10 levels above the recommended level for the mission.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh i'm sorry, did i pick a bad spot to park my squad of giant robots? am i inconveniencing traffic with my skell in the middle of an intersection?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like how many of the sidequests allow for somewhat drastic changes in the status quo of the world and characters; makes them feel much more meaningful than your standard JRPG side stuff. I guess 1 and 2 also have this sort of design ethos but somehow it feels more impactful here. Like I just did a quest where two named NPCs died unceremoniously and a third one could have, depending on my choice.

By the way, that quest was about parasitic organisms controlling people, which i thought was fine for a quick horror pastiche but when i thought about it for two more seconds, it immediately runs up against the wall that wait a minute, aren't we all robots???

I feel like the whole mimeosome thing was not really much thought about during writing. Humans apparently have the technology to produce exact robotic replicas of themselves so real as to be indistinguishable, capable of eating and sleeping!? And also remote control them?!? The whole thing falls apart like a deck of cards at the slightest examination, and most of the time is just ignored in favour of treating everyone as normal humans. So I feel like the process here went "wouldn't it be cool if everyone was robots, and then we could do a few cool reveals?" "yeah that would own" "let's do it" and they pretty much left it at that.

Not that I'm really complaining. This is one of those dreaded Plot Holes that doesn't actually matter or affect your enjoyment of the story as it's being told. But I do think it's pretty funny when you think about it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I don't suppose with the recent popularity of the XC series, maybe XCX will get a remaster? Or at least a port? The last thing I remember hearing was by one of the directors saying a part would take more resources than they're willing to divert I think.

I can't imagine there's enough of a weird following to get an emulator running it and then modding it?
You can already emulate XCX and even play it on the official servers if you can acquire/dump some wiiu network certificates. It's not perfect yet but it's apparently very playable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How hosed is it that X has in insurance mechanic? And that you can permanently lose your skell and all of its equipment if you're not careful???

I can't believe this game sometimes, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Prowler posted:

Calling XB Switch a "remake" is probalby giving it way too much credit. Based on everything we know thus far, it's an enhanced port. I sincerely doubt Monolith is working on the port; it was likely farmed out to one of Nintendo's smaller studios or something similar.
The character models and environments seem remade from scratch, which i would already put past "enhanced port"