Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2 in which you couldn't get all the warriors in one playthrough. Which sucked because some were WAAAAY better than the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is xenoblade anime deniers the video game equivalent of flat earthers

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm honestly confused how you watch 3+ trailers and still surprised at what the game is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

LostRook posted:

Aren't Gamespot and Kotaku notorious for hating JRPGs that aren't Persona?

Different people review different things

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't tell if it's because the voice direction is bad or some british thing, but Nia is awful and bored sounding.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint is they've overlaid a calmer personality onto what's clearly a more brash and over-acting character in japanese that doesn't quite mesh right in some scenes, but for 95% of the time her english dub version is great.

That's my main problem. The voice direction reeks of blind recording, and they were given lines but not given much context (or the wrong context).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Am I supposed to cross my fingers and hope that random level 20+ monsters don't one-shot me as I explore? I died to a patrolling eagle thing like 5 times trying to reach the first village.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do quests expire? I'm in chapter 2 while getting parts for Noppi, and these are like impossible to do with one character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'll beeline through until I get 3 characters, I guess.

Is there any point in actually using the common generic blades, I don't want to waste money on them when my purse is tight right now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The japanese dub isn't synced with the lip flaps either. I think monolith cut corners to make the deadline by not doing a second runthrough of the dialogue.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So this is probably obvious, but walking cancels the end lag of attacks, and it seems like certain weapons like Nia's chakram are better off stutter-stepping her first hit. Any other weapons that seem to improve off stutter stepping?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some of the name changes trip me up during conversation, since Homura->Pyra and Hana->Poppi. Also Rex being Yakuza since Tora keeps yelling ANIKIII

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So is there any reason to not just main character blade? I'm sure I'll switch if I ever get like Kos-Mos, but are you guys rocking any units straight up better than pyra?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think you misunderstand, I mean is there any incentive to use other blades than the main character blades (Pyra, Demur).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gaaah why is katana a tank class

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saxophone posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't really notice anything particularly bad about the voice acting? I mean, it's not great, but nothing has grated on me thus far and I'm well through chapter 3.

What's your thoughts on chaos war

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would rather have good na va direction instead of bad eu voice direction just because "it's different"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Party Meiser posted:

So what I'm hearing is that the problems that people have with the dub are the same as they are in Japanese.

Some people can't handle 2 being more anime.

Some people can't stand how poor the quality of voice direction and general acting there is among key characters. These are not the same two groups.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That Zeke intro is possibly the worst editing I've seen, outside of like Tales of Zestiria. There's bad lip synching, and then there's literally being behind 3 seconds of the actual scene. That seems more like a bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg59oaCcvJQ#t=60s

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shin became jin

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well gently caress, I just realized that overdrive transfers are super rare and I wasted it on a common by accident

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know what xcx was, but it's basically Xenoblade 1 with mario rpg-style cancelling moves and tons and tons of quick time events that vary by weapon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm hoping boss battles ramp up soon. I'm still just randomly pushing buttons until the QTE's pop up, but I'm early in the game (chapter 3 boss).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

This game holds off on new party members for so long it makes you wonder why they even bothered having more than the core three.

Did you forget how long it took to get all the party members in XB1?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Except that I can tell the English dub is hamstrung by an attempt at matching the Japanese cadence. Wow, that really sticks out.

It is the complete opposite, actually. They seem to try to do the opposite whenever possible

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

I should use the Beastly Core Crystal as soon as I can, right? No reason to save it?

Depends if you want to save it for future party members.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Am I not allowed to set more than two blades at a time?

Beeline through the story, the "tutorial" part is still pretty long.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You know how FF13 didn't let you even choose party members until like 3 chapters from the end

It's not that extreme (you're pretty close to unlocking the 3rd slot) but the game really tries to ease you in because there's a lot of systems going on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Seriously what is the point of jin shin change

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand how a game in 2017 doesn't let you remotely change outfits at will

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do we have a list of who drew who, or was Jin the only guest artist submission for main characters?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boreas is a girl, unless they drastically changed something in english

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It is better to to save it for future party members, specifically not-Rex.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They basically thesaurus-ed all the terms in the game to avoid referencing the bible. Holy Grail=Aegis, Elyium=Garden of Eden, that serpent thing is the snake of eden, Architect is God, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can't switch party members during combat, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I wish someone told me that the first part of the end boss fight for chapter 3 is a gimmick. Only hit glasses dude, cutscene happens after half his health goes down. I died about 4 times before that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember someone saying Morag was Scottish.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Okay, this google doc says Poppi Alpha's favorite drink is fizz juice, but it's not going up in her menu and that affinity line is unlocked. What gives?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a very important question about Four

Why does Tora think she's a man

Her japanese voice is incredibly deep. It even got me occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

For the original Xenoblade Chronicles game, this character design artwork simply didn’t exist; all we had were costume designs for the clothing the characters wore. This meant we were forced to create the CG character models to fit those costume designs. And what’s more, the only artwork released of those characters were retouched versions of their CG models – there was no concept art to speak of, not like this at any rate. This exposes one of our shortcomings at Monolith, but for this project, Saito-san (Masatsugu Saito – Main Character Design) and Tek-kun (Tetsuya Nomura – Torna Character Design) covered for and supported us on the character design front, and I’m truly thankful to them for their efforts.

Them planning ahead made it worse