Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Rex has two locked blades right now--Pyra and another Attacker. I'm aware that he gets a plot-locked Healer blade later in the story--should I dump the Beastly Core on Nia or something? Or hold it for a later party member?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Isn't it? The game made me give Roc's crystal to Rex. Or are you talking about the later Healer? Regardless, it sounds like going for turbo-attacker Rex is the way to go.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

in extremely f/go thread voice just let people replay the whole game until they get their first rare core, then delete their data and do it again if they don't like this

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Does the choice you make at the beginning of chapter 8 actually affect anything?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Do you need Orb Master at level 5 for it to be reliable enough to use?

e: oops lol

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

There's apparently a second endgame viable strategy which is to go full 100% cooldown reduction on rex and solo things, using IV specials to ignore dangerous attacks. I don't know how reliable that is, though, since missing an iframe once will mean a wipe...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

in the cutscene right before the final boss was the throwaway line about a third missing core crystal that hosed off to another dimension supposed to be Alvis?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

Basically ditch all the attackers and control a healer yourself

ch 8 Do you use Nia yourself? I had the extremely good/bad luck of having all my good healers end up on Nia, which means I'd have to pull like a nutcase for the remaining healers on Zeke if I wanted to run Rex+Nia/a second healer/tank, or burn Overdrives. I have 3 of those left to use, at least. Also Vess' crystal left, at least.

If I left Nia as a Driver I could scrape together two healers for Rex easily, but I'd be giving up on apparently the strongest healing blade in the game.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 23, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

If you're really good/patient at Tiger Tiger, you can stack the poo poo out of Poppi. The core is something like AC Arts Boost + AC Critical Up + AC Recharge Boost + Challenger + Frontal Force + Critical Restore (+Avenger if solo). You get Rex-level damage because of all the +100% damage modifers you're stacking, while also being a leech tank because of Critical Restore.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

is there any goddamn way to get tora to switch off his third blade once he has it? i can't loving get any of my elemental combos off anymore

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Invenerable posted:

I've been having this problem too. I think it's happening because he switches blades back and forth between QT and QTpi to try to help with a driver combo, and then maybe can't blade switch back to Poppi QT in time to finish off a blade combo since she's on cooldown? Also, the AI seems to prioritize driver combo advancement (and bonus damage against a given reaction) over blade combos, also throwing things off a bit.

When I play again, I'll try removing each of the Topple/Launch/Smash skills in turn to see if that fixes it, if no one has a good answer before then.

this was 100% it. i was fighting the 117 superboss and tora was apparently trying to break over and over instead of doing anything productive. taking away his break actions let me stack 8 orbs, do 9999999 damage, and...die because the boss has way more hp than that. oops.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The goon still has not answered where to get that chip

You probably want to spec mythra for crit, anyway. Go for a Mirror Matter chip (Misdan Pippitos in Temperantia) and that'll tide you over until you get a better crit chip from one of the postgame bosses.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

In the postgame, leech tanking incidental damage is pretty easy with Avant-Garde medals--Rex and Tora's last blade are both pretty good at this. To tank the really big hits, you either need to be supremely spongey (read: Poppi Alpha with Ultimate Shield and 85+% block) or be abusing invincibility frames (Four's initial blade has a really good dodge move).

The problem is that both of those options aren't fully reliable--Tora will switch out of Alpha right when the boss is readying a tankbuster, and Four's AI doesn't know when to use its iframe art. So you either actually play as them or try to cover for them by using IV specials or Chain Attacks when you notice they're messing up.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a quickest way to get the ingredients for merc level 2? Like are there just two gathering points I can run back and forth between for 30 minutes and get what I need?

after you get like 1/4 of the way through the bar, you'll be offered a sidequest that will fill it the rest of the way iirc.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

MechaX posted:

But... why even gate this kind of difference behind Food that has a timer, instead of just building in Arte Recharging like this into the actual leveling? It's not actually an MMO where you need food buffs before each raid

really, it's more remarkable that your party can even swing those weapons if they haven't eaten for 19 ingame days

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Duckula posted:

Trying to get 50,000 points in Tiger Tiger is taking itís toll on my sanity.

no damage + no kills should put you over the threshold, do it on stage 1 easy

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

I used Five as a healbot (2 healers + pandoria lets them help top the party off while maintaining stupid burst for chain attacks) first, then as an orb master bot (all they have now is a single 3-crown common blade with orb master). Switched over once I could hit damage cap off an 8-orb full burst even with them using a trash Blade. Killed all the postgame bosses that way.

Four is built as a dodge tank which is kind of a specialized role, especially with the two free dodge blades they get. Plus you need to itemize specifically for evasion if you go that route. I'd just leave then as-is and use them only for fights where you need constant iframes on the main tank only (orion, benf, dagmara out of the 7 postgame fights).

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 28, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Four's basic problem is that they need to itemize exclusively for evasion to achieve the same survivability Poppi gets pretty much for free, which means they can't do much damage, which means they can't hold aggro worth a poo poo in the AI's hands, which means why bother making them a tank to begin with? They're really good for dealing with specific bullshit tankbusters in the player's hands, but that means giving up on Rex/Tora's goku-level-dps.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

man i've got like 300 blades and one (1) blade with orb master lv.5 jfc

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Yeah, the difference is that AI Tora will at least hold aggro, not die, and even poo poo out millions of damage during a chain attack if you build the poppis right, while AI Four can either hold aggro or not die--your choice. Though Orb Master is busted enough you can beat anything in this game with anything if you have it, at least at level 90+.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

This is all assuming postgame, when Tora has his third blade, his broken-rear end 50% crit/90% block chips, and you're bored enough to sit down and farm like 100k ether from tiger tiger. Before then, Four is way better than Tora. They get three blades to Tora's two, they get the driver arts canceling perk in the first tier of their affinity chart instead of the last, and moderate amounts of evasion are really easy to itemize for without losing dps.

I'd probably roll for something decent for Nia, but the story will eventually set you up for everything you'd want on Rex. If you can tough it out until chapter 4, there's a pretty easy way to farm Cores by salvaging there, and the game will give you a few more guaranteed blades from side quests around then.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

voltcatfish posted:

wait, you can farm cores in Mor Ardain?

use a normal salvaging cylinder, purposefully gently caress up the minigame, make sure you don't have any blades with salvage master on. most of the time you'll fish up a hermit crab mob which has a good chance of dropping a rare core crystal, 100% if you overkill it with a chain attack.

practically speaking, you could also coast on free and story blades (most of which are quite good) until the 60's, at which point you can driver combo high-level enemies over and over to farm legendary cores way faster than the mor ardain method would give you rare cores.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

stage 5 of tiger tiger has some exclusive rare drops, the master (rank VI) versions of the class mods and the light elemental core. you can turn poppi into a superboss-soloing monstrosity just fine without them though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

score definitely impacts the quality of the things you get out of the chests, which is yet another reason i've never going to have a master muscle mod on poppi

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

aaaaa gently caress the game crashed and i lost like five hours of loving running around trying to find food for pekka's stupid picky ardun. i don't feed my party members this well, you rear end in a top hat!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Oh, one other thing about Four--their default Blade can Break and they have a really low cooldown on their Break art with fists, so they're a good choice to put a Beta Scope on and go to town with if you're repeatedly smashing mobs for loot.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

I guess I'll have to do this because I have zero tank Blades and nothing to give Zeke

If you haven't done them already, there are a few guaranteed Blades you can pick up right now, which might beat playing Russian roulette with the gachapon.

Go to the butcher's shop at Torigoth during the day to start the quest for Vess, an electric bitball healer. It's pretty involved; you might want to check youtube or whatever to figure out where to gather and run. Vess is good on pretty much anyone, though bitballs are especially good on Nia (she can Break with them).

Buy the tip about the gluttonous monster from an informant in Mor Ardain, then go to the other side of the locked gate in lower Mor Ardain and salvage there (they key to the gate is in the Fief of Forgetfulness; you'll go there during Vess' quest line). You'll fish up a mob that drops Kassandra's crystal, giving you a Dark Tank. I put her on Four because I was short on tanks too.

Buy the tip about the Core Crystal thieves from an informant in Torigoth, then go to the bridge behind the Torigoth inn with Four in your party. You'll get a quest that eventually gives you Praxis, a Water lance attacker. She's good filler for whatever.

You can also salvage with gold cylinders in Mor Ardain to farm up half a million real fast, then buy the core crystal in the junk shop in Torigoth. That'll get you Sheba, an insanely good ether cannon attacker, also water. You mentioned you didn't have any blades for Zeke, and Zeke happens to be your best bet for ether-based builds (plus he gets a Break on ether cannons even if you don't go that route).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

i have like eight overdrives sitting in my inventory right now that i never used because i "might need them later" and now all the postgame bosses are dead and they're still sitting there uselessly

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Invenerable posted:

Sounds about right. Still haven't used one:

not that people would probably notice without squinting at it but there's a pretty big spoiler in there re: rex's goku button. she's mostly artfully covered by the UI, which would be really impressive if you did it on purpose

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

honestly, though, they should really just let you freely swap blades in the postgame once you max out their affinity chart or something, a lot of the the fun of this game is playing around with colossally stupid party ideas and trying to make them work

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

Since there's no proper postgame as of yet, is there a list online of all the superbosses hidden around the world. I'd like to try hunting some down.

In rough order of difficulty. Strategy notes are in case you don't have Orb Master. If you do, just stack 8 orbs in the first 10% of their life bar when they're just doing autoattacks and filler moves and ignore all mechanics.

Reeking Douglas (lv. 104), in the bandit cave in Gormott. As far as I can tell he does literally nothing interesting except summon a bunch of adds at 50%, so either line up a chain attack before then or make sure reinforcements are sealed (dark finisher) at that point. Also don't stand behind him, Tail Slap might actually oneshot you if you're squishy.

Relentless Arduin (lv.99) in the Torigoth farms, after completing the quest where you raise him from a baby. Has superboss-like HP and a tankbuster (Tank March) but basically nothing else. The best legendary core farming spot in the game, since he does not have superboss resistances to Break.

Cloud Sea Ken (lv. 110) in Tantal right by the Ether Pool landmark only in fog weather. One you kill him you can respawn him in any weather. Has zillions of HP and doesn't do anything dangerous till like 60% so even if you don't have orb masters you can 8-and-done him. Otherwise he'll cast a move which does some damage and inflicts poison, and Tentacle Storm which is brutal. Use an IV special or level 3 combo to invuln through the latter. Not dangerous at all until the last 25% at which point he likes to spam those moves on top of each other. Do him early because he drops a nutso crit chip for Rex and Tora.

Orion (lv. 100), in the secret area you're forced to find near the end in the cliffs of Moretha. High dodge, brutal single-target offense. Tankbusters are Air Slash and True Hazy Moon. Sword Bite seems to inflict both topple and launch. If you're having trouble build a super leechtank poppi or try controlling Four yourself (bring their starter blade and two katanas and you can dodge everything he does).

Pernicious Benf (lv.109) in the crater to the northeast of the central plains in Temperantia. Another single-target focused opponent, who likes to chain a pretty powerful 2-hit tankbuster (Berserker Fang) with a fast conal AOE (poison breath). He has a true partywide attack in Beast Crash, but he doesn't use it that much and it applies its damage across multiple hits kinda slow, so you can heal through it.

Chickenheart Dagmara (lv. 120) behind the locked gate in the catwalk above the Old Factory. Sky-high evasion, attacks inflict Topple. The real problem is that it has basically no HP and at 50% it uses a stance that deals massive counterattacks whenever it dodges. Your party will impale themselves in about three seconds. Either get a quick and dirty 4-orb chain before 50% or use an IV special at 50%.

Ophion sir-surprisingly-not-fought-in-storyline (lv. 117) at the end of the cliffs of Morytha. You don't really need a tank for this one, just lots of healing. Uses Plasma missile to attack randomly ignoring the aggro table and Netherfire which deals hits at random to the party and should probably be healed through. As far as I can tell every other move is "invuln this or die" but he uses them really slowly so just have a IV special up. He has way more than 10 million HP so don't 8-and-done him immediately unless you want to get run over by like 5 HP triggers firing simultaneously. Get him to like 60% first. You can theoretically do this fight real early if you get good at iframing everything, and you get the best tank chips in the game for doing so.

Tyrannotitan Kurodil (lv. 130) behind a Fire Mastery 12 check in the Profaned Place west of the Ardanian garrison. Signature move is Twinbarrel Autocannon which applies massive damage across a to of hits in a cone in front of him, but you have enough to time to switch to a healing blade and heal through it. He has lots HP and gets real dangerous after the first 25% of his bar, so you should play for a big chain attack even without orb master. If you do see his next phases, Ultra Annihilation Flare should be invuln'd through, Murder Ray must be invuln'd through (it inflicts Doom to the whole party, I think it's ok to be invulnerable when the doom ticks to 0).

Arek MK-VII (lv. 117) where you fought the pope comes with 2 adds and shits out a lot more. In retrospect this is probably not too bad if you instantly get a dark seal on the boss, whittle down the adds, and kill the boss the normal way without relying on elemental combos. You should probably do that instead of what I did, which is brute force the fight at level 99 with two tanks and healer Rex. Drops a chip which is insane on bitball healers.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 29, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

It's worth noting that a traditional tank and spank player will probably have beaten the whole postgame before the Tora soloist is done fishing for that master muscle mod, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Moochewmoo posted:

I'm sorry but if anyone has time I'd appreciate answers.

You did something wasteful, but probably better than what most people do which is never use overdrives. Like most resources, they don't do any good in you inventory.

Specifically, there plot ensures that Rex will always be good on blades. Don't pull on him and in the future don't overdrive onto him.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Also, the AI can do poorly with mixed builds but they're perfectly fine to control yourself.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

I'd trade basically any of my rare blades for a common with 5* orb master that wasn't fire/light/water

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

One of the answers gets you more trust, not like it really matters if you're going to just down 900 servings of food later anyway.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

xenoblade chronicles 2 is the most keynesian game ever, in that you can literally pay people to dig and fill in ditches shuttle gold cylinders around and it improves the economy

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

there's not very much of a grind at all to hit postgame, mostly because all the postgame fights can be trivialized by a big chain attack. the big dinosaurs in temperantia are easy to kill and will give multiple levels per kill until the early 90's. then just make sure you have nia's affinity high, an avante-gard medal on your tank, and turtle your way through all the fights until you have 8 orbs.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

Master Stur posted:

Hmm that's good to hear. Is there any tangible character power benefit to maxing dev levels, like how in the first game you had to in order to unlock 4th/5th hidden trees? If I can do post-game bosses without having to hit up the majority of side quests then that's more my jam.

some of the 3* pouch consumables you unlock this way are pretty drat good; i'm especially fond of the +2.0 special/sec instrument from argentium. you can just grind out dev levels by buying cylinders from somewhere you already have 5* and selling them elsewhere--since you're getting them at a 50% discount at 5* you don't lose any money on the transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

strength accessories?

Fun Shoe

bizarre deformity posted:

The strategy for farming core crystals involves using regular cylinders and failing the qte right? Then you kill krabbles or whatever? Is here any specific place that is ideal for this?

mor ardain, lower level, by the docks. but it's waaay faster to repeatedly driver combo tyrants with a high drop rate, bonus if you can handle it.