Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

I dont think Jin's motivation is good, but I could happily move forward if the game werent so adamant I feel empathy or pity for him.

Yeah it’s a story they tend to do that.

This discussion everytime it comes up is really baffling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Can you go back to the Rob Schneider avatar so I stop accidentally reading your posts

I mean glasses houses and all but you could just stop posting. I think it would work for everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like you know you can sympathize and pity someone without excusing them. That’s like how most stories with a clear villian are structured.

Hell thats how XC1 was structured with you sympathizing with the Mechon who are actively genociding the Homs.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 20, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I kinda forgot this existed some point shortly after Poppi's first transformation...thing... whatever that loving nonsense in that industrial area was; anyway, I picked up another game shortly after that and stopped. I'm debating picking up that save again or just starting over, as I usually do with games I left unfinished.

Odd sort of question while it re-downloads, has the game changed significantly since launch? I remember there was a lot of beef with the gacha system and some other things I can only vaguely recall.

There have been some quality of life improvements yeah the Gacha is unchanged but unless you are a completionist or want a specific blade it isn’t an issue

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Cool. I don't know if the gacha ever bothered me except in the "welp guess i'm NOT completing this one" sense; I don't remember what, if anything, actually bothered me about the game.

Besides the English voice acting whenever anyone had to scream or emote, I do remember that. Oy.

What sort of QoL improvements? Those're always what I look forward to most.

Mainly menu stuff and the maps have been improved somewhat. You can also adjust some stuff like turning enemy aggression off. So you won’t get murdered by high level enemies on the map.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

There are two issues; the first it is possible to empathize with a persons circumstances and not their actions. What happened to Jin is sad, his actions forgoes any pity or empathy. The game seems to think these are one in the same, that the villain who does bad things for understandable reasons does no real evil.

The second is the game has the lead character say he is willing/capable of looking past what has transpired. That is beyond empathy and into endorsement, Jin and Malos are literally advocating the genocide of all life and the lead is acting like there is common ground between them.

I mean Shulk literally does the same thing in one. Though I don’t think the game asks you to sympathize with his actions. I can’t remember anything that even hints at that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The games writing is fine, not great but fine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I really wish the game wouldn't follow up a battle with you holding your own with a cutscene of you getting your rear end kicked.

To be fair that doesn’t happen often. It’s not like Trails of Cold Steel where it happens after every battle

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People would complain endlessly about either of those. Treating like a real battle seems better as you get the XP and drops with only a cutscene at the end, which doesn’t realistically effect anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair surviving until cutscene happens feels like busy work in itself.

You could just get owned in a cutscene it accomplishes the same thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

All those solutions don’t really solve the problem in any real way.

In fact the suffer from the exact same issue. So I wouldn’t call it solved.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

Its also ok to just not have a fight at all. If the narrative has a desired outcome for a fight that runs counter to how a game is played dont feel you have force in the gameplay as most likey youll only hurt both.

That’s really the only way around it, everything else is just adding chaff.

Personally I don’t think it matters as long as it doesn’t waste your resources it really doesn’t matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think people get confused on what writing is. Very, very few games actually try and reconcile gameplay and story and to an extent it’s kind of impossible. You can combine the two to a degree but there will always be a disconnect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Microcline posted:

I don't quite get what you're arguing here. Is reconciliation similarly impossible between all artistic elements of a game? If not, what makes the writing special?

I don’t get what your saying, what artistic elements are you talking about here. Could you give an example as I can’t come up one that would even cause contradictions.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 18, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Torna references a lot of stuff from XB2 which makes sense as it was supposed to be a chapter break

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What happens at mechonis

I don’t remember anything terribly different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fetch quests are kind of a Xenoblade staple.

At least they aren’t as bad as one