Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Is there an Immovable Gonzalez and/or Territorial Rotbart in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Awesome

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Why does the narrator in the tutorial popups keep addressing me in the first person, who the hell are you

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It would be good if you could outright buy unique blades in new game plus, gacha sucks rear end.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

What is up with the line readings in this game, everyone pauses awkwardly for seemingly no reason. Pyra and the little mascot in the the helmet seem to get the worst of it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

lol

voltcatfish posted:

I don't think I could handle non-English Nia at this point, whatever she sounds like

Yeah, Nia is good

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The map has a penis on it

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Perun's voice acting is painfully flat, and the cutscene near the end of her mission goes on forever and has some of the cheesiest villain laughter I've heard in some time.

In the middle of Chapter 7, so opinions can change, but I'm rolling my eyes at white-haired guy with bullshit superpowers and a tragic past casually owning everyone.

Also after trying one dungeon with Tora in the lead I never want to hear "Meh" again, holy poo poo shut up Tora.

I'm enjoying the game despite this whining, KOS-MOS's level 2 special is really good.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I have to imagine that the weird cadences in the English voice acting were deliberate choices based on how characters' mouths were moving, because the Heart to Heart convos all sound markedly better than the story stuff.

I completed the Praxis/Theory questline and the boss at the end totally kicked my rear end; I probably should have equipped spike defense accessories on everyone. Putting 3 healers on Nia and one on Zeke worked well enough on the third try, though. Worth it, because now I have five levels of Nopon Wisdom, so I can finally open all those chests and doors on Argentum :toot:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Fighting one of the bad guys in Chapter 7 I think, and he starts using Monado skills. Malos used Monado Cyclone more in one fight than I did in the entirety of XC1. Okay, game, you have my attention.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm liking all the Xenogears parallels in this game. I get a kick out of games that put your fantasy characters in the ruins of a modern-day city, with street signs and parking structures and stuff like that.

One tip for people trying to get to whatever pond you have to visit to complete Electra's quest: start on the Verdant Plateau, accessible near the border between the two upper levels of Gormott (nearest fast travel point is Greatspine Boundary in the Left map). Don't know why the "proper" entrance starts halfway across the map, but this way you don't have to run past IMMOVABLE GONZALEZ to get there.

And thanks to the posters pointing out how to speed up auto-attacks and how to convert obsolete Poppi parts into ether, this game is too dense at times.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

These late game side quests are terrible. One has me doing a merc mission first (always a good sign), then hunting for a doctor, who has me traipsing through deadly poison to find three plants, requiring between 6-10 of botany and focus each. The second part has me doing pretty much the same thing in a different area, plus once in a different area, except this one switches botany for mineralogy because "gently caress you dig through the menus again" I guess. (Plus another merc mission.) Finally I get these things to the doctor, who needs help to do whatever the quest is about...requiring a third damned merc mission. I'm only doing this one because it was the least irritating of the quests still available; one wants me to give 100 rare collectibles to a nopon in a snow field and I only have two of each.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

These bad end-game sidequests were bringing me down, but then I did Vale's mission and secret Nopon death cult summoning an ancient snake demon brought me back up.

Also, there's a series of three field skill checks in the Tantal city that lead to an empty terrace. Does anything ever show up there?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I was half hoping that at some point the game would explain who the tutorial narrator is, but nope, I guess it's just some disembodied voice referring to itself in the first person.

Minor final boss spoiler (heh): the summoned monsters had drops. Why does anything past the point of no return have drops.

Anyway, I liked the game, it's reminiscent of older Xeno games in several strong ways, it has a lot of issues with repetitive sidequests, whoever okayed the blade gacha and merc mission systems deserves punitive electroshock therapy.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

I lost on my first attempt at the final boss because it decided to move out of range when I had no adds to fight, so my party was just sitting there waiting for it to get close so we could fight again. Instead, it slowly charged up an instant kill move that wiped my party.

Yep, same here. I don't know how I was supposed to know that would happen beforehand.

Also: I decided to burn some core crystals before starting the final battle. I picked up a rare, some chicken girl whose name I forget. Sorry, kid, maybe in another life you won't wait until the literal end of the game before deigning to show up. Enjoy your seats for the final battle, though.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

I think I might hate myself?

Congrats on pushing through the nine circles of hell

I only did the first set of missions for Ursula, but I was a major fan of the Nopon talent agent.

Look at this goateed dirtbag.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Xarbala posted:

Are there any consequences for which candidate to pick for the admin position in the Leadership Qualities quest?

Because the fallen nobleman seems like the obvious choice, especially if you plow through the skill challenges.

If there are, I didn't notice anything beyond which one sticks around in camp. Granted I only reloaded to check quest rewards and any other immediate differences, but I didn't see any additional quests from the chosen candidate later in the game.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I just wish Jin didn't look, speak, and act like a Sonic the Hedgehog villain.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Okay, I guess I haven't played a Sonic or FF game in a while, that's probably a poor descriptor of the guy.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Yes, anything that doesn't trigger a voiced reaction. Also be sure that the pouch items you'll use are your most recent purchases, so they show up at the top of the list with no need for scrolling or sorting.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Why is there a gacha game in a game I paid full price for?

To provide a companion to the timer-based idle game you'll have to deal with later, of course.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

If you have to keep the gacha system (you don't) then allow players to get rare blades in New Game Plus at a shop. You retain the element of surprise in the first run and reduce the urge to tediously grind core crystals at the end of the game.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Give me a Velvet Room so I can fuse one-star wind tiger and two-star fire spear to make Perceval

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I picked up Nim today, and her core awakening legitimately startled me. That's not a face you introduce with a close-up.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Boreas is easy to max out and has useful field skills, but he is sadly unusable because in his Salvaging Mastery voiced line he makes a sucking/slurping noise that is disgusting to hear and means I refuse to ever have him equipped.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The worst unlock condition for a blade is "Complete 16 merc missions," because it takes too long, there's no quick workaround to completing it, and hell if I can remember which generic blade out of the dozens of them I have has that requirement.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Taear posted:

There's a box in Temperantia that requires 130 lockpicking or some other ridiculously high number.
What's it all about? It's near a big lizardman enemy.

Part of Boreas's questline

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Maybe they're not necessary, but full driver combos can do some major damage and shorten fights considerably. My main problem with them is they either lock you to a handful of weapon choices that aren't always that fun to play (Rex with a greataxe and his chapter 4 blade makes for dull combat) or have you rely on the AI to do that for you, which they often won't do if they're more interested in completing a blade combo. Sometime you just want to shoot things with a gun and punch things with metal gloves, you know?

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: besides, (chapter 8 spoiler)Jin's monster attack with break-topple->launch->smash nearly instantaneously was so freakin cool that it made me feel bad for missing out on that action for most of the game haha
If only that three-hit move didn't take a day and a half to charge up between each use.

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 26, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

^^^The same thing happened to me in that scene

Dr. Fetus posted:

Never again. :suicide:

I like how the rewards for doing that mission are some trash accessories that are outdated by the middle of the game

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Yinlock posted:

oh hey im at the postgame, might as well hunt for this ursula everyone says is so great

*proceeds to get literally every single other rare blade, none of which are wind/ice, while using truth boosters*

thanks video game

The game is showing you mercy

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Friend should enjoy silly way Nopon talk; Makes them appear cutesy to other races.

Easier to sucker people into spending money if they think Nopon adorable.

(Also it's not a new thing, Nopon have talked like that since the original game. It's just their thing.)

Saying "Meh" every other word like they're a race of The Cheats wasn't in the original, and that's what makes them so obnoxious in this game. Didn't play X so maybe it was the same deal there.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like the blades that say "I made the A team! Score!" because they know they're generic fodder that are only getting equipped for Salvaging Mastery.

Also the ones that say "I can't stop growing!" because it sounds less like boasting and more like a panicked cry for help.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I know this is an unimportant question, but what exactly is supposed to happen in-universe when you release a blade? Can you somehow un-resonate with it? Are you murdering it? Because you can find a rare blade again after releasing it, so you're obviously not just telling it to hit the bricks.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I wish there was a little sketch for each collectible, if only because I want to see drawings of a Dancing Apple and a Dobercorgi. (Yeah those are in the first game and not the second but so what, they were my favorite collectibles)

Edit: Wait I forgot about the Oil Fox, that's also my favorite. "A fox with damp fur. Its misty eyes make it look adorable." I wantr one for my apartment

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 21, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

ajkalan posted:

The worst unlock condition for a blade is "Complete 16 merc missions," because it takes too long, there's no quick workaround to completing it, and hell if I can remember which generic blade out of the dozens of them I have has that requirement.

I take that back, the worst unlock is making 100 "dumplings" with Vess. Who in the world thought that was a good idea.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

what, you don't want to run around the bionis interior for an hour praying for a black liver bean?

having those items be plentiful but not required for anything in XC2 felt like the game was mocking me

Same with the Rainbow Slug and Ice Cabbage being common drops here. Yeah, real fuckin' cute Monolithsoft! :argh:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Rirse posted:

I hope they somehow get more Xeno related blades in, like Esmeralda and Flora.

I'm hoping for Ramses and Elvis, personally.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just unlocked Merc Missions, or to use the correct name, Outer Ops. When do I get the ability to send out more than one team at once?

After leveling up your merc rank (pick up a mission in Garfont after you get 500 merc points).

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

where the gently caress do I get the Anangham gate key in Mor Ardain? I'm trying to find it with google, and not really finding anything helpful.

It's a red item on the ground in the Fief of Forgetfulness, a place I wouldn't have found without looking it up. (If you haven't discovered the location, look for a walkway under one of the bridges into the city, and jump to a collection point on a ledge below you to find the path. You must be at low tide to get there.)

Edit: Look for this path:

And jump to this ledge:

Oops, there's a character spoiler in here.

Double oops, also an end-game spoiler. I'm bad at this.

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Which megalance blade has Beam Halbert? None of the common blades I have own that art and I need it for one of the DLC quests.

Large male generics have it. Better get to resonating!