Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gently caress :stare:.

That seriously needs to be the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I brought up Riki and he said Riki is allowed to do that because he's the cutesy anime mascot. He doesn't care about that as long as everyone else is serious. Riki is also his favorite character.

:shrug:

Heropon verycool :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a glitch posted:

Any word on how long the game will be? I put about 100 hours into the first game and kinda burned out just before the ending.

Also this game better have some reference to Reyn Time. Reyn Time was the best time :colbert:

Xenoblade Chronicles had an average playtime of about 75 hours from just doing plot advancement, with about double that if you went insane and did all the sidequests. XCX was a bit of a trainwreck with its plot, but had about 150 hours of general content. So there's your ballpark.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Momomo posted:

I really have no idea how accurate these accents are (I''m assuming they're authentic) but it was kinda hard to parse a lot of those lines for me. Hopefully it'll be better in the game proper.

Pretty accurate, given they're the natural accents of the VA's :v:.

It's a rather nice callback to Nintendo EU using British actors because Nintendo US didn't want to localize Xenoblade Chronicles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ohtsam posted:

Don't look at xenoblade coverage at work today, one of the new blades is pretty much nsfw

What, the kid with the polar bear? What's wrong with tha- Oh. Oh you mean the next one down :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TurnipFritter posted:

Nintendo wants to lock in the Vita market.

You joke, but they pretty much have already. Once the Vita finally dies in Japan (let alone being already dead and buried everywhere else), the Switch is the best option to develop for for all the little studios that can't afford the obscene budget for 1080p/4K graphics.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do you think the hatbulb lights up when she has a clever idea

God, I hope so :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know enough yet about the stuff in the pass to say whether it'll be worthwhile? I don't really like supporting this kind of marketing but if I'm gonna pay it anyway, might as well get the freebies for my playthrough :shrug:

Given a lot of the XCX sidequests were really good, I wouldn't use the original Xenoblade's as a basis.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd like to say I'll be going out to get my collector's edition tomorrow. What I will be doing instead is staying the gently caress home and not going anywhere near Melbourne with tomorrow's forecast of Complete Shitstorm.

Infinitum posted:

The subtitles don't match up with the Japanese soundtrack.

This will annoy me no end

They're probably the english dub script rather than a translation of a Japanese one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

The IGN review reminded me that heart to hearts exist, any indication that those are less insane to unlock? In Xenoblade Chronicles I never came across one that I was able to use at the time, and backtracking to find them after building affinity was a pain because the game didn't adequately track/label them.

They were a lot less tedious to grind in XCX.

Waltzing Along posted:

Another thing I saw in one of the reviews is most of the blades are random and there really isn't any way to get them all.

There's a set of randomly-generated "common" ones, the Rare ones are from a pool of 30 (the ones they've been showing off) and are drawn from their own separate Core Crystal so you're not stuck smashing away at that button hoping this diceroll will be one of the cool fancy ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, how do you refine Unrefined Aux Cores?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You'll get steered into a tutorial for it when you follow the main quest.

Figured it out, I somehow got the Aux Core shop's menu mixed up with creating them in my head rather than just refining the ones in my inventory :doh:.

How do you open the third Blade slot, because I can only seem to set only a second Blade in addition to Pyra.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone able to tell me a decent location to find Puzzletree wood?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That virtually happened to me as well. First rare core, gacha'd into a common.

Same happened to me too. I gatcha'd Godfrey out of a common one though, at least.

cathead posted:

Poor Rex, can't even get a rare blade from a rare core. Meanwhile Nia has two, one of which she got from a common core! :v:

Has anyone figured out what the boosters actually do, is it just higher chance of certain elements?

It's pretty easy once you get used to it and understand how to make it work. Just focus on canceling your arts properly (use them after the 3rd autoattack hit), fulfilling the positional/other requirements of your arts, and find a good element sequence of lv1 -> lv2 -> lv3 specials you can do with your team based off the chart that pops up in the top right when you do one. Just doing that stuff will get you pretty significant damage, especially with the specials.

There's some other stuff that comes into play eventually (like break -> topple -> launch -> smash combos) but you have plenty of time to practice the aforementioned stuff before that happens.

Breaking and Toppling aren't spoilers, they've been Xenoblade staples since the original game.

It's very easy and forgiving to Art Cancel, you can set it off even just after Rex has smacked his sword into an enemy. What you're looking for, if you're not sure what the third hit of his auto-attack combo is, it's when he thrusts the sword forward instead of slashing with it. As for elemental sequences, you need to be aware that as well as dealing massive damage (and Sealing something) with the third tier it will also give the boss an immunity to that third-tier element. You'll want a second Blade you can switch off to afterwards, preferably one that can take part in a different three-tier elemental sequence.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cathead posted:

Just figured I'd do it in case there were goons going in blind who wanted to find out about the later combat system stuff on their own.

I fully get where you're coming from. Breaking and Toppling has been a thing since the very first hour of gameplay in the original Xenoblade. And one that you needed to master (rather than, say, being super-pro-strat combo'ing skillz) if you wanted to deal any decent damage at all to Mechon enemies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Do you not get EXP and such from discovering areas any more?

Non-Combat XP (Quest rewards, etc) works like in FFXV; Go stay at an Inn and you'll get the option to spend earned XP to level up. Combat XP is still instantaneous, so if you ding a level after a fight that'll just go up immediately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

"Hey pyra why can you make fire even when everyone is doused in water?"

"I uh duh uh hmmm er well, uhh hrmn you see, it, uh"

Thanks game.

Did you miss the part where she adds Her flame abilities aren't derived from fire?

Also (from the second Titan visited) Vandham is a fuckin' Top Bloke and my favourite character so far :allears:. I don't know if it was because the casted dub VA for the character's was aussie or it written in the script first, but I love that all his dialogue is top dinky-di aussie slang instead of just having the accent alone.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

Yeah its dumb, I hate Pyra. Better have a drat good reason for not talking

You mean aside from (late Chapter 2 spoilers) having a catastrophic war from 500 years ago named after her, where she was used to kill three Titans?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh dear sweet lord, I just met the unbridled majesty that is The ZEKENATOR :magical:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bizarre deformity posted:

Does anyone else have the edges of the screen cutoff? I can't figure out a way to change the screen size and all the UI stuff on the edges is being cut off for me.

Edit: never mind it was my tv's fault

You can change that in the Switch's system display settings. Which is really helpful when your TV does not have the option to disable that loving over-correction setting for some inane reason :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

How the gently caress do i get down to that stupid root to get on the ship

Right from the Landmark, take a few steps forward to the cliff edge and look down. You'll see the path along the cliffside and a few places where you can climb down vines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So is there anything special I have to do to access new stages in Tiger Tiger?

Story progression. The second one unlocks when you reach the next Titan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slime posted:

That's just how welsh people sound. As someone who's used to it, she sounds fine to me.

My only complaint is they've overlaid a calmer personality onto what's clearly a more brash and over-acting character in japanese that doesn't quite mesh right in some scenes, but for 95% of the time her english dub version is great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

That's my main problem. The voice direction reeks of blind recording, and they were given lines but not given much context (or the wrong context).

I'd definitely agree with that. Most of the dub is rock-solid, but there's a few scenes where people really needed better direction for screaming or just being more aggressive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numerrik posted:

So when I want to buy a deed, do I just need to buy everything once through the entire play through or all at the same time?

Entire playthrough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

What’s a driver combo
And why come it’s so hard to make a blade combo. In so many hours I’ve played I’ve only ever pulled a Steam Explosion once. I know it’s about building up the A button arte on all the characters but the AI can’t figure it out I think

EDIT: Also my first rare blade was the SMT marionette with the gun, from a common core math crystal
Also I don’t understand what boosters are?

That AI's generally pretty decent about pulling their Special Artes, you just need to give them time to actually build theirs up. And make sure you have elements that people can step through to get there. Hoping (or Overdriving) a fire-type Blade onto Nia's a good move, as you can three-stack fire between her and Rex, or just have better variety in starting from Earth with Tora.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Ok, the game redeemed a lot of its spotty writing with the Zeke scene holy cow

Excuse me, but He is the Zekenator and you will address him as such :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

See the knowledge that at some point a character like this will grace me is what's keeping me on ENG

Caphi posted:

I'm actually inclined to switch when I get him because I know that his arts in JP are amazing but I'm going to give the translation a chance first.

In all seriousness, keep it on English if only for when you encounter that character. Do share your thoughts after it :munch:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

In voice related matters, turns out Game narration volume is what you use to silence the battle chatter, not Battle narration. Unfortunately(?) Game narration is tied to e.g. traveling, collection, post-battle, etc. So what is Battle narration? :shrug:

Battle Naration is Gramps saying things like "Topple Burn!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know off-hand what the correct recipe number is for making Serenade at the Rumbletum Canteen?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Good Lord Vanham or whatever his name is has some bad writing

Least I finally got chain attacks unlocked. Very freaking cool.

Vandham's a fuckin' true-blue Aussie and his writing is proper okker, mate. I'm honestly impressed the dub writers went all-out with proper aussie slang to go with the english VA's accent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For those that have gotten up to Chapter 4, I think we need to have a serious discussion about the most important part of the early stretch of it;

Dromarch wears an adorable sleeping cap in bed :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Ephraim posted:

One thing I really hate about the game is if you get a really good blade but it's on the wrong character. Rex could really use a good tank but he got Dagas as his first rare (axe attacker) while Nia got Electra (lightning tank). I want them to swap blades but apparently Overdrives are the rarest item in the game.

You can get a one-use item in treasure chests called an Overdrive that lets you swap Drivers for a Blade.

bizarre deformity posted:

When I do QTE's, am I aiming for the outer circle or the inner one? It isn't very clear.

Neither. You're aiming for the brighter section.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A question about something in Chapter 4; What were they trying to infer about Nia when she and Mythra were chatting in the Hot Springs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miltith75 posted:

Does anyone know the location of 'Supercharged Alfonso' in Gormott? I've got two rare blades that want to defeat him.

One thing I would have liked to be included is a way to mark the enemies required by Affinity charts general area on the map. It's somewhat frustrating running around trying to find the enemies.

I'm surprised there wasn't a strategy guide to go with the game's launch. XCX got a massive hardcover edition for theirs, and it was damned handy for collecting poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where's the Goldmouth Warehouse in Argentum for Boreas? I haven't seen it and I thought I had been everywhere.

It's on the rear deck where the Salvage Point is.

Actually, anyone figured out how to get in there without dropping 100,000G?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lessail posted:

Oh my god that transition I'm loving dead

Do you mean the second Zeke fight? You know the Aegis is truely powerful when she can smash the protagonist through the 4th wall with a slap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard when meeting Zeke the second time and Rex get's slapped into the classic glass break battle transition.

I'm amazed they actually made an honest-to-god "one-eyed monster" penis joke. I also had to hit the Home button after that transition because I couldn't stop laughing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A bootleg Shiva with funbags the size of potato sacks and a broke back.

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/935404359931740161

Excuse me, but that is clearly a knockoff Felicia! :goonsay:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well this worked out very nicely (Beginning Chapter 5):

https://i.imgur.com/vDLY3F9.jpg

I'm just in The Abandoned Factory in Chapter 4 and I am loving jazzed at seeing Bana and Muimui making a chute-drop into what can only be the cockpit of a giant robot, complete with synchronized body movements as they go through the sequence :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

That op post is super-good and really cleared up how the combat works in theory but how about during gameplay? Most of the videos I've seen are memes about the endless battle cacophonies like this one which do kind of paint it as a bit of a confusing mess. Does it all kind of flow together well once you get used to it?

I loved XBC1 (no WiiU so never got to play 2), kind of just hoping for more of the big cool expansive maps and nice side-quests/collecting/weird affection systems I remember enjoying. I have no strong feelings either way about anime sword girls.

The combat flows just fine, especially if you've played XBC. The maps are very large and expansive, and the cool things like Heart-to-Hearts don't require affection/trust levels at all (at least as far as I can tell). Just go activate them whenever you spot one.