Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Calaveron posted:

I mean if XB2 is like a Tales of Vesperia or Berseria then that’d be super cool but if it’s like Tales of Graces or Zestiria just burn it all down

What about Tales of Rebirth, literally the best Tales game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The writing on the English side of this game is abysmal. I've cringed quite a few times just reading the subs when I hear the Japanese voice overs concurrently. The voice acting was pretty terrible to begin with as well. I think they probably cast the right people and went in the right direction, the actors just kinda...suck at conveying the right tone.

So far, this fits somewhere between the original and X for me.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Internet Kraken posted:

They didn't seem to put any effort to making this dub work. The lip syncing doesn't match the models at all which creates really bad disconnect. The voice actors themselves could be fine but it sounds like they went with the first take for basically everything. Some lines are fine while others are total flops. Also the fact that they seem to have recorded only two lines for every character in battle is really lazy and annoying when they repeat those lines every two seconds.

THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?
DON'T FORGET ME
THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?
DON'T FORGET ME
THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?
DON'T FORGET ME

:shepicide:

Think you can take MEEEE?!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Where the heck do I get legendary cores!? Or are you referring to the ones the story gives you?

There's also (at least one) lucky core that gives a guaranteed rare for whoever uses it. I managed to get one from salvaging a lv. 40ish monster by the salvage point north of the salvage point at the docks of the empire city in ch.4. It's behind the locked gate.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Andrast posted:

lol at xenoblade being a triple A game

(I agree with you otherwise)

Pretty sure the 3rd biggest game on the Switch since release probably meets the criteria for a "triple A" game.

The actors are good, the direction is horrible, the script in English is cringey and dumb but has its charm.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How do I get to the utmost lower section of Mor Ardain to finish the Vess quest line? The part that is covered by clouds during High Tide.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Caphi posted:

I'm thinking of just trying to write up all the names - at least the Titan and Blade names - and what they reference in Japanese and English.

The things that always get me is the random parts that aren't "translated." Tora is a Nopon and Nopon are traditionally left alone, so that's fine. Azami is a one-off rare Blade who's left for no reason I'm aware of, and Zeke Genbu is just out of place (plus they took out the "Ultimate" which is the best part of his name).

Almost every rare Blade name is completely different. It's weird, because a lot of the common ones are unchanged. It actually seems like a great deal (way more than half) of all character names/important terms are different in Japanese. The English writers try to flavor the game up a bit too much, IMO, and stray away from classical allusion, to which the Japanese text has very strong ties. This is the same problem Dragon Quest typically has albeit in a different manner. It's charming in some ways, but cheesy and cringe-worthy in others as they try to work in bad puns and what not.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

abraxas posted:

I need some help with the sidequest "We Meet Again" in Mor Ardain. I'm on the step where I have to go into the old underground warehouse at Admar Storage Zone but I'm too stupid to find the entrance. I got a key and everything but I have no idea where the lock for it is and the map is (as always) awful. I'm standing right on the marker but it's 35 moon units below me... urgh.

You gotta climb on a building then jump from a pipe over a gap on to a ledge where the door is. The door is literally on a ledge not connected to anything else.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Has anyone encountered a bug with the quest Crystal Clear? I'm at the point where I need to start a Merc mission and head to a spot, but starting the Merc mission is glitched and even after I start I get no quest indicator icon anywhere in the zone.

Looked at a video on youtube to find out which spot i'm supposed to go to, and going there triggers nothing.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you completed the Merc Mission first?

It doesn't allow you to complete it, it has a ??:??:?? time and goes on indefinitely. You are supposed to accept it, then go to a place but the place won't activate for me. I've gathered that it's because Morag left my party temporarily, and she was in the cut-scene for the earlier stage of the quest. The game should refuse to let you take the merc mission in this case instead of bug itself out.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Raxivace posted:

I like Tiger Tiger well enough I just wish it was slightly more lenient.

It's hard to play with my Hori pro controller because the dpad isn't the best. This is my gripe.

I should pick up one of those Switch compatible 8bitdo pads when they come out in a few days. I already have an older usb one and it's pretty cool.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

404notfound posted:

Is there a way to turn off the combat chatter? There's a "battle narration" setting in the sound menu, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything.

I'm so loving sick of hearing Tora go "MEH MEH MEH" all the time that I'm beelining through chapter 3 until I get another driver I can swap him out with.

I'm not sure who even came up with that meh meh stuff, it isn't really in the japanese dialouge at all. They just say "mo" at the end of sentences. They also don't say poo poo like "dadapon"

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone else feel like there's really bad pacing in terms of scaling mob levels around chapter 6 and 7? I'm like 6-10 levels higher than all the trash and I have many levels of bonus exp left over.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There are honestly some design decisions in this game that make me question if there was any QA at all in the dev process, or if at least one person on the dev team is retarded.

Why the hell is there a boss fight (in ch. 7) with a GIANT HOLE in the middle of the room for no god drat reason, where the boss constantly either knocks people in the hole and bugs out the encounter causing you to lose or runs around like a headless chicken and bugs out the encounter causing you to lose?

Why are there field skill checks where you use a gust of wind to jump up to a higher platform, on which the only thing that awaits you is another field check at a higher level to jump to a higher platform?

Why are there platforms that break away, sometimes with no indication that they are unsafe for you to stand on, that cause you to fall to your death and warp you back to a previous check point in dungeon-like areas with longish gaps between check points?

Why are the enemies in the mid/late game either 10 levels lower than you or 10 levels higher than you making it so you never want to fight anything and just run away?

These things are turning a potentially excellent game into a frustratingly average one.

edit: why do your party members randomly decide to walk off ledges and die, putting them in combat with 1 hp when something agros you right afterwards.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 8, 2017

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lakbay posted:

Jesus the first Zeke encounter in Chapter 5 took me 5~6 times. He kept resisting break and kept spamming overload thunder beam and Nia's healing could not keep up. I won with only Rex alive. I was 5 levels above him too!

You probably forgot to add Tora to your party by highlighting him and pushing X, so you ended up fighting him with 2 people. Right?

The game kinda doesn't explain that well.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The one thing about combat that totally isn't clicking for me is the Driver Combos. I don't think i've ever pulled one off in entirety. It never seems like I have the resources to somehow break, topple, launch, then smash something with the limited skills available at any given time. Is this basically where you are supposed to use non-rare blades to fill in gaps?

For those only using rare blades, what party/blade combos are you using that have easy access to the full driver combo? My current party is Rex, Morag, Zeke.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Snow area has some excellent music.

The OST for this game is probably the best game soundtrack in many years. So much variety, and no less than 10 killer tracks. The first game had a great OST, but this one has an excellent one.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's a dumb list of names and terms that vary in difference between the English localization and Japanese. At least the ones I can remember off the top of my head from listening to the Japanese voice acting.

Rex
Tora
Nia
Zeke
Vandhan
Morag - Melef
Brighid - Kagutsuchi
Jin - Shin
Malos - Metsu (ruin)
Azurda - Seiryuu
Pyra - Homura (blaze)
Mythra - Hikari (light)
Dromarch - Byakko
Poppi - Hana
Roc - Suzaku
Pandoria - Saika (calamity)
Bana - Vahn
Addam - Addel
Amalthus - Malveyni
Akhos - Yoshitsune
Patroka - Benkei
Mikhail - Satahiko
Haze - Kasumi
Aegaeon - Wadatsumi (shinto equivalent of poseidon)

Argentum - Avaritia
Torna - illa
Indol - Arcadia
Gormott - Gura
Uraya - Invidia
Mor Ardain - Superbia
Tantal - Luxuria

Aegis - "Grail of the Heavens"
Artifice - Device
Flesh Eater - Man Eater

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The only Legendary I ever opened so far on ch.9 was a common. There are definitely some issues with the system.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

I feel like the rare blades get rarer as you keep getting them. At first 20 common cores got me 3-4 rare blades, now I go through 40 and I'm lucky if I get one.

Is there a way to farm legendary cores?

Finish a driver combo on level 100+ mobs apparently

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Found these useful docs laying around the internet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tAd2MsOdDj7it2CLJkwf84rI9OHWvazjr2CSBtv3Mms/htmlview?sle=true

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HKkPoCbW0oO1JzV-hx21ueZMIjmWdboVh3vgSrlEwj4/htmlview

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished.

I think it's mostly comparable to XC1 in the scope of many things. It has about the same playtime, possibly a sight bit more. Combat is better, Soundtrack is better, story is a mixed bag, but I didn't feel like it was too cliched or predictable. The localization is interesting; I felt, from listening to the Japanese voice over the with English script, that they somehow made the game MORE "anime" than it originally was in some places.

I could probably agree that if this game had the extra polish it needed to fix a few straight-up mind-boggling design choices and shortcomings with regards to menus, interface, and physics it would have matched the first one head on. It definitely feels like they were pressed to meet a deadline, and as a result they missed a few months of QA playtesting and feedback, which could have resulted in numerous quality of life improvements.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm wondering if the eventual DLC will be story content related to why/how Nia is a blade or who Pyra/Mythra's original driver is. They never really touched on that, even though it should be someone who is alive. Unless I wasn't paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

abraxas posted:

I asked this a couple of pages back but didn't really get a very in-depth answer. Do we or does anyone have a (at least somewhat) comprehensive list of rare blades you can get without having to play the Gacha game? I'm talking about all the sidequest/story/store bought cores/blades the game has.. I'm basically trying to compile a list of every rare core/blade I can get without having to play the Gacha game, preferably with location/pre-reqs and maybe even which chapter you can get them in the earliest and all that jive. I know a couple of them but apparently there's one for a sidequest about core thieves that I've heard vague talks about here or there, and apparently there is also one you can fish up from a salvage spot if you buy the right thingie from an informant or something? You guys need to be more specific! :v:

Praxis and Theory from mid/late-game quests. The first one requires Ch. 5 and is undoable while you don't have your 4th party member present. The second part requires that you've done the first and is available some time towards the end of the game. Then there's Herald from a quest in Theosoir. I haven't gotten this one myself, just heard about it so I don't know what the triggers are.