Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Is there a list of what the highest level skill-checks are in the game? Like, if the highest level Ice Mastery check in the game is 9, I can choose a couple Ice Blades to keep and then ditch the rest because they're just cluttering things up, but right now I'm afraid to dismiss anyone because what if I need it later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

So considering the game saves for you when you roll for blades, I figured it would be autosaving more often than never, which I just found out it doesn't when my game hardcrashed and I lost three hours worth of mercenary mission progress I needed too complete side missions and also regular playing-the-game progress

Fffffffffffuck

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Is there a point where Pyra and Mythra are going to get outclassed by rare blades? I want some cool new blades but I'm thinking of waiting until I get the fourth party member because all the rare blades I already got on Rex are now just playing second fiddle to Spinning Edge

I guess on a positive note I rolled Boreas on Nia and he seems super rad and I'm very glad I didn't roll him on a character I actually wanted to play because Bitballs are not nearly as fun as they look or sound

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Barudak posted:

Pyra and Mythra get a special bonus feature later in the game that takes a dump on every single other blade so, no, they do not get outclassed.

Well poo poo. Which other character is fun to play as

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I pulled Zenobia on Four but looking at their available axe skills and the fact that Rex has a Launch skill on Axes I can't help but feel like I'm supposed to use an Overdrive to continue to make Rex The Only Party Member That Matters

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

tap my mountain posted:

The problem with using Zenobia as your launcher is you lose elemental variety on Rex since he's forced to use a wind blade if you want to smash with him.

It's pretty clear the devs didn't put a single thought into blade design in regards to who should use them

Holy poo poo you're right Roc is the only way Rex can actually Smash an enemy, thank you for telling me. And apparently, Four has no access to Topple, but Five has access to Topple on Axes and then also Launch and Smash, so I guess we know who's getting access to Zenobia

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

All I know is that apparently smashing some postgame enemies is how you grind out legendary cores so thats a thing I gotta do eventually

also just got Agate on Four so now I have two dope axe users

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Holy poo poo, I just figured out how to get to the Fief of Forgetfulness and I feel like a straight-up detective, definitely would have never even attempted to get down there if it werent for the Bracer quest and wait a minute the game does what with accessories

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I'm 50 hours into the game and am just now getting to Fonsett. I've been enjoying my time with the game but I can really see hating it if you didn't have unlimited free time like I do over the winter break. Also, I definitely think each area has been of lesser and lesser quality, with Gormott being the peak of the exploration experience and now the Fonsett continent being just kind of absolute poo poo. I'm sort of at a point right now where I'm considering rushing forward to get the final party member and beginning to become the Gacha King

e: also Gachapon sounds like he should be a main character

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

ajkalan posted:

Perun's voice acting is painfully flat, and the cutscene near the end of her mission goes on forever and has some of the cheesiest villain laughter I've heard in some time.

Also after trying one dungeon with Tora in the lead I never want to hear "Meh" again, holy poo poo shut up Tora.

Switch the voices over to Japanese. I made a post about it in the JRPG thread but XBC2 has the second-worst English dubbing I've ever seen in a video game with an actual budget. Arc Rise Fantasia is first place but even with the unforgivable voice acting I'm still torn if XBC2 is actually worse. I don't speak Japanese or anything but the English dub made so many terrible changes that even I can identify that my mind is loving blown. For example, the forced "meh" Nopon thing? Doesn't happen in Japanese. "Rex-Rex" is just aniki, and I'm pretty sure all the dumb titles like biggipon are very exaggerated changes to Nopon using different age honorifics. Also, they changed a million names for some reason. Hikari to Mythra, Hana to Poppi (and HanaJM (Justice Maid) to PoppiQT), Suzaku to Roc, you get the idea. Why? Worried the names might be too Japanese in a literal shonen anime? Also, they added in Rex's classic "Titan's Foot!" catchphrase when in Japanese, what he actually says is *upset sound effect*. Also the voice casting itself is poor, I heard Vandam's English VA and holy poo poo it's dumb, meanwhile he and everyone else in the game sounds exactly like you would expect them to sound in Japanese. The direction of the VA is bad, where you had tons of examples of actors giving lines that have the wrong tone or inflection given the situation, like casual conversation lines while sword-locked with a bad guy. Also, cherry on top, Tora sounds totally tolerable in Japanese.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

Itís fascinating to me how many people are ragging on this Japanese game for taking influence from Japanese media.

When you say "influence," normally what that means is that you take some things you like from various sources, and then weave them together with the things you're creating yourself to make something new. The problem with this game is that it does a very poor job of bringing anything new or interesting to the table from a narrative perspective and relies so heavily on tropes and cliches that it feels redundant and derivative rather than new or exciting. That feeling of derivation stemming from an overreliance on tropes, formulas, and cliches, are what people are criticizing when they say something, in this example the game Xenoblade Chronicles 2, feels "too anime."

I hope this has helped straighten things out so we can reduce the number of people pretending not to understand what people are complaining about when they say the game is way too anime

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I know Ursula's reliance on Merc missions to unlock her affinity levels is basically unacceptable but on a positive note, her merc missions have the highest time to merc points ratio by a mile

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Momomo posted:

Easily the best part of the game, you did.

I really have no idea how anyone could think badly of the English dub. I've enjoyed it a lot and really don't care that they changed some names. Also calling it anime while somehow decrying XB1 wasn't is really just peak using it as a descriptior for "something I don't like".

I really disliked XBC1 and never made it past the second main town in the game, but think this game improved on a lot of what I disliked about the first game while introducing a whole new set of problems. Maybe you could address how this game doesn't have an overreliance on cliches tropes and stereotypes instead of just trying to deflect criticism?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Here's my story about the Myrmidon unique enemy. I found him, Im level 44, hes level 35. Except I can't beat him because his battle takes place on a walkway and he keeps implementing the "my AI party members walk off the walkway to their death" strategy. I try to lure him to a more secure platform but that doesn't work when a level 85 flying monster aggros onto us from the platform. Eventually I win, not because of strategy, but because the game glitched the gently caress out and he got stuck in his unsheathing katana animation, but it was like a quarter-second loop and he infinitely replayed his sound effect every quarter-second resulting in a super loud grinding noise that lasted the whole fight.

Also, what do the sealstones do? I've found three of them so far but each time I destroy one nothing happens. Blade-related quest or some plot poo poo I haven't gotten to yet?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Momomo posted:

The weird racist part of the game was when the party found out about an assassination attempt and went "it must be those no good bird people that are doing it!", proceeded to try and murder them, and faced no repercussions.

I get weird racism vibes from the Nopon. They share the money-grubbing stereotype of a certain real-life group of people but then a majority of them including the high-ranking influential ones basically have the intellectual capacity of children

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

People don't complain about XB1 being anime because they like it and desperately dont want it to be that. Because people in the games forum have really weird hang ups about anime.

And you have this really weird hangup of never actually discussing any of the complaints people have about the game and instead just try to insult the posters themselves both here and in the JRPG thread. Before it was the idea that feature bloat was just a codeword for things I don't like, now anime is a codeword for things I don't like

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Yeah considering the entirety of Xenosaga called her Kos-Mos not pronounced like cosmos, it would certainly seem like how you would pronounce that name. The Japanese version of XBC2 pronounces it not-cosmos too. But I'm sure the English dub is fine though

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Pierson posted:

Yeah I was originally gonna just do that a bunch but I guess being under-levelled means Break is less likely to stick, so I just killed her instead which wasn't so hard.

What level were you? I too desire an immense amount of core crystals

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Tae posted:

I don't understand how anyone actually though the empire was an enemy faction other than "WELL STAR WARS EMPIRE WAS EVIL I GUESS."

The main threat is the guy that killed you in the opening act.

Yeah let's totally forget about the part of the game where your first introduction to the empire is that in the past they incited a war on this beautiful peaceful city and are now annexing it and doing military recruitment there and there's a ton of hostility between the Gormotti and them, the Empire explicitly sends soldiers to capture Nia, you get in a fight with Bridghid where she calls Pyra out on being the Aegis and all the soldiers have orders to capture her too, the mayor of Gormott is giving direct orders to Empire soldiers while also being an underling of Bana, the guy who knowingly sent you to your death, the Empire soldiers actually succeed in capturing Nia with a magical weapon, the player is told the Empire is going to execute Nia, you have to stage a prison break on an Empire ship where you fight the evil mayor and captain of local Empire troops, then you get in a fight with Morag who apparently wasn't even interested in Nia and wanted to use her to capture the Aegis and is also a high-ranking Empire officer.

What loving game were you playing where you didn't think the Empire was supposed to be an antagonistic faction?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Additional beginner battle tip is that doing a very small movement will cancel whatever attack animation you're in, which can be used to reset your animation at the end of a combo or you can continually stutterstep Rex/Pyra just after the first hit for a series of infinite, very fast autoattack animations which will charge your skills much quicker than normal

e: I just completed the Ancient Wisdom and Dark Mastery check at the Profaned Place secret location, and now I've got the Focus and Fire Mastery check. I need three more Focus to complete the check - Pyra has two more points she can unlock, Mythra has one, Wulfric has three. To get Wulfric's points, I would need to use his favorite board game, which is in Tantral, which is the next story location. If I went with Pyra and Mythra, I could easily get both points, the issue being that I would need to unlock their fifth affinity slot by forcefeeding them. Pray for me, my friends. It's dinner time.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 4, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Well, whoops. I didn't do the check yet but I decided to go back and do basically every other field check I've ever found. Most of them have been sort of pointless and lame rewards considering at what point you get some of those skills (Fortitude checks are the loving worst, all I have is Ursula and Poppi, might be time to pop some more cores) but some have been good, I got three Legendary cores that way. I'm about to head for Tantal and have been making sure to do pretty much everything available to me before I move on to other areas because otherwise I'll never do them

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ It's strange that, despite all the dumb UI stuff in this game, it had the sense to add the quality of life feature of recording the locations of all the field checks you've encountered and haven't completed.

Honestly, most chest rewards in this game just aren't that good or useful. Even rare/legendary cores generally don't give anything particularly useful. Chips/accessories, the other relevant items, mostly just drop from enemies.

This is one case where I really think XenobladeX was the perfect WiiU game, having that extra handheld map with you at all times was so great and I think this game would work with it as well. I think a big feature I'd really like to see is the ability for you to set map markers for you to come back to later, like I'm doing Zenobia's affinity chart right now and I'm basically just googling every unique enemy location because how the hell am I supposed to remember where each one is and what their names are

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I like how Nopon can't be drivers with the exception of maybe one Nopon in the history of this game's world but a really big goat can somehow manage

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I was doing some exploratory salvaging and I just realized specific spots will always have the same button input. I know people were recommending some spot in Mor because the presses were just A, but if you just use a common cylinder and find out the input order it's real easy to get them on subsequent attempts

Also, I'm level 54. gently caress going to Tantal, its time to slay enemies

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Question about a lategame mechanic

When Rex gets the ability to equip any blade, does he vacuum them from whoever originally bonded them or is it just temporary so I can give the Blade back? Basically what I'm asking is should I even bother pulling Blades on Rex ever now since he gets them all. Also, when does this mechanic get unlocked, I'm just now midway through chapter six I think

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

After finding three of the sealstones without any help or even knowing what they were for, I finally caved in and looked up where to find the water one and I'm glad I did because I never would have loving found that thing

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I just completed the plot race from Chapters 6-8 and man the game really ramped up the stupidity. I have a shitload of complaints about the long series of "not even my final form" scenes and overall plot nonsense, but here's a complaint highlight reel:

If Torna is a terrorist organization that's been collecting Core Crystals, is led by a guy who hates the Praetor and whose entire plot to destroy the world was caused by the Praetor being an rear end in a top hat, and the Praetor is the guy who owns every Core Crystal ever and gives them out to countries, why the gently caress hasn't Jin just killed the Praetor already? Malos might return to his core, but he also might not considering the game seems to change the rules of how Aegis' work all the time, but even if he did couldn't Jin just re-summon him? And even if he couldn't, again, does it even matter? Does Jin really need Malos to get anything done considering Jin is apparently way stronger than Malos, even after repairing his core? Even Nia was able to at least temporarily defeat a full-power Malos, and Pyra didn't even need access to her full power to beat Malos 500 years ago, but the third form is the only way they were able to beat Jin, I'm pretty sure that makes Jin objectively stronger than Malos, right? If Malos was able to defeat Ophion, wouldn't Jin have been able to? ...why did they even need Pyra to get to Elysium, then? It seemed like they needed the Aegis to "open the path" which effectively just meant to turn off Ophion, and so that was why they woke her up and then let her find the Omega Fetter for them, but apparently when they used the Fetter Ophion just attacked them anyways and Malos beat him up, so what was even the point of waking up the Aegis if her only purpose was turn off Ophion if it was just possible to defeat him anyways? I know Malos was powered up when he beat Ophion, but wouldn't Jin have just been able to beat him since he's basically invincible save for the fully-powered Pyra?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I feel genuinely bad for anyone who hasn't rolled Zenobia, doing 100k damage topple attacks are hilarious and fun. I'm in Ch8 and once I finish up all the missables I'm gonna power through to the end of the game so I have access to the postgame bosses and accessory grinding spots, then I gotta decide who my postgame party is going to be. I know Tora/Poppi are broken as hell but I'm genuinely dreading playing Tiger Tiger in any lengthy capacity so I might just pass on him

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Amppelix posted:

I'm just going to say that if you use Rex as your attacker instead of Zeke, you're definitely doing it wrong. Unless, of course, you use both. Zeke's personality cannot be contained on the bench.

In the postgame I think it's theoretically possible to just have three attackers so long as everyone is running a critheal build. As hilarious as Zeke is and as much as I love him, his skills just take way too much time. If you're doing a smash combo, you barely have enough time to switch party members and get the next skill off, since your combo you theoretically want to use is Pandoria Zenobia and then a Spear user. Rex, on the other hand, can Topple, switch to Zenobia, use her axe attack that does 120% bonus damage to toppled enemies, and then launch, and that's even without his affinity skill that boosts topple duration. Rex is just blatantly the best character and I'm not totally sure if that matters for the superbosses but it might, I'm not there yet.

Right now I'm mid 60s and running Rex Nia Four, but Rex Four Zeke would be my upgrade of choice when I graduate out from a healer. Ultimate attacker team would be Rex Zeke Tora, but if I don't end up grinding out Poppi parts I might slap Nia back in and give her KOSMOS/Herald since she has the 2nd highest ether attack behind Rex. Also Zeke was the one who pulled Zenobia so I can switch her between him and Rex which feels real nice

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Chapter 9 spoilers

Sorry, video game, no amount of sepia-tone flashbacks as a member of Torna is killed by not-me is gonna make me feel bad for them. I know you guys were sad or whatever but you also killed thousands if not tens of thousands of people and that's a little much to ask me to look past. If anything, I'm upset that I was never actually the one who got to defeat any of them.

But for real, how is the game gonna try and pull the sibling thing with Akhos and Petro when those two have never spoken to each other in the game before, and especially after they set up the whole thing with Mik and Petro. I literally think it came down to the fact that they realized Akhos was the most unlikable of the group and the most actively antagonistic and they needed some hook to make you feel bad when he died.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can only imagine how much different the game is for people who pull KOS-MOS. Especially if they pull her early in the game since she's a light element damage monster that can heal your party with her specials.

I'm almost positive there's some behind-the-scenes mechanics to how gacha rolls work. From what I'm seeing, a lot of people are getting Perun and Adenine very early in the game, meanwhile tons of people can't seem to get a KOSMOS. I have loving bananas gacha luck in every game I play so there's only 7 rare blades I don't have yet, and I haven't done any intentional core farming either. I'm still sitting on 50 common cores and 50 rare cores, so I haven't been annoyed at all with the system but I can imagine it would suck to be stuck with generic blades because either you just cant pull a rare one, or the one you do pull is a healer on Zeke or something like that. If NG+ lets you keep your rare blades that would be really cool, even though I'm not sure I could bring myself to do a second playthrough I do think it would be fun to be able to give all the blades a try

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

Got it. Sounds fun. I should pay more attention to what the Blade's specials and passives do. I was focusing on the arts because that's an active thing I can do. I did notice that KOSMOS has a special that heals the entire party for a good chunk of HP. That's fun!

It took me a while to get the gist of it but each character has a different skillset for each weapon and blades don't impact what the skills do at all. I thought when it showed me the roles of blades in conjunction with their weapon, I'd eventually see ATK bitballs or something, but no, bitballs are always for healers because every character's move pool has a healing skill in it. Katanas always have aggro-boosting moves because all katana blades are tanks. Because of this, the only difference between two spear users is their element and what their specials/passives are, so those are generally the things that make or break a blade.

Kind of a disappointing system imo because I would have loved to see offensive bitball blades or healing axes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Forget item duplication. I have 40 rare cores and 99 common cores and I loving DREAD opening every single one of them, but the timer starts now.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

14 minutes for 40 rare cores, no rare blade drops. Selling the commons, time to farm legendaries. Only two 4-stars also

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Leathal posted:

The Ophion fight is like a showcase of every combat bug in this game.

Immune to break so you have to take all the break skills off your AI party members or they'll literally never switch blades. Has a shield move that basically insta-gibs anyone who attacks while its up so you have to either manually disengage from the fight or abuse an iframe to avoid the AI from killing itself.

And worst of all the fight is on the edge of a cliff so not only do you get zero healing potions, the AI will regularly fall off the edge to their deaths and there's nothing you can do about it. My tank falls off and dies, Rex gets aggro and eats a bunch of damage and dies, Nia comes trundling over to rez me - and somehow gets pushed off the edge by the tanks corpse respawning so we wipe.

Oh and you have to wait a good minute or more to start the fight again while the boss meanders around from his inaccessible spawn point.

The reason it's immune to break is probably only because the devs realized if you toppled it it would plummet instantly to the bottom of the map and die. I've killed at least three unique monsters that way

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I beat the final boss with a game file time of just under 100 hours. I skipped the final series of cutscenes. For the last hours of gameplay, the plot was dragging on for so long that my Switch was going to sleep mid-cutscene and honestly, I never really enjoyed any components of the story. I just want to keep exploring and battling monsters.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

nessin posted:

I see the tradition of implementing lovely half-assed mini-games into RPGs is being kept alive in Xenoblades. How necessary is it to play Tiger Tiger and keep Poppi built up, or can Tora safely be taken out of the party early and not have to deal with the mini-game at all?

There's basically three paths you can take:

1) Ditch Tora entirely once you get your second tank
2) Ignore Tiger Tiger entirely and just leave Poppy as a tank, all the extra poo poo you can beat the game without (same with aux cores on pretty much every character) but you'll eventually need to bench him against the postgame superbosses
3) Do 8~ hours of Tiger Tiger to make Tora capable of soloing all content in the game once you get access to chapter 8

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Where's the 4th option

which is "occasionally play the game to get some parts for Poppi whenever new stuff unlocks"

of course, this option is not viable if you hate it

Because if people ask for advice usually I like to give them an answer that isn't "just do whatever you feel like" because if they wanted to do that they would have just done it and not asked

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

U-DO Burger posted:

If you have a WiiU I'd consider getting Xenoblade Chronicles X. Far less story, even more skippable cutscenes, and the exploration is way more fun.

I loving love XBCX, one of my favorite games. I didn't like the original XBC at all but X was so good that it made me willing to give this one a shot.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy my time with this game. When reading the reviews for it, a consistent theme was that the game had a ton of problems and a shitload of terrible decisions but somehow the game managed to be better than the sum of its parts. I thought to myself "how can you have liked the game when basically you have a long list of all these problems," but that pretty much mirrors my experience. If I were to list of my list of complaints about the game I'm sure it would sound like I hated the game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Reiterpallasch posted:

orb master is deliberately making the game easy, if you have an 8 orb full burst the fight's already over on its own merits anyway

Fun fact about full burst that the game doesn't actually tell you: if you use Pneuma when initiating a burst, shes the only blade you'll be able to select for the party attack on the party member that has her equipped. In exchange, she damages every single orb.