Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I saw a lot of reviews complaining they got blocked from plot progression on skill checks and I'm guessssssing it was in the Crucible. Maybe me knowing that those were important caused me to pay more attention than I normally would have, but my goal was basically to accomplish every skill check as soon as I found it so I absolutely never had any problems with progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

nessin posted:

Are regular fights against even a single common enemy equal level to the party supposed to take a minute or more? Seems insane, but at level 18 with everything maxed out (I can only use two blades at the moment, but they're fulled equipped with the best cores I can get for them) and I'm not sure what I can do to make it faster. I can make it slightly faster by being on the ball with timing the arts and working down a arts combo, but they usually die just before I finish it and the time benefit from doing that is barely noticeable. Honestly the last few fights I've just dropped the controller and surfed the forums because it seems like a better use of my time in the fight since they can't kill me and I only shave a few seconds off by paying attention to it.

This is probably my biggest complaint with the game, random enemies don't feel like they take any less time to kill than bosses so I end up never fighting any random enemies unless I absolutely have to. That was also a nice side-effect of doing almost all the side quests and fighting all the unique enemies, I was outleveling the random enemies so much that they wouldnt aggro onto me unless I initiated the fight

e: SMT/Persona battles take a reasonable length of time, sure, but that's usually because you have to think a little bit and the enemies might actually kill you. A random enemy in XBC2 will never kill you even if you do absolutely nothing but will still take up your time

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 8, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay, I've gotten enough of the lategame accessories to use the rough early stage of a critheal build, and it's fuckin wild. There's two party compositions this build revolves around, the first being Critheal attacker who can be any party member with any blade with the exception of Mythra, second attacker, and then a tank. The tank's goal is to have high enough dodge/block/both to avoid most damage, and you just sustain them on residual healing skills you have like HP potion drops or KOSMOS specials, and you shrug off any aoe/residual damage you take through your critheals.

The second party build is attacker attacker attacker, with your player character being Rex and Mythra, and the reason you don't bring a tank with you is because no tank could possible keep up the aggro you accumulate. At Mythra affinity 5, if your skill crits, it will instantly come off cooldown and you can cancel the attack into itself indefinitely so long as you keep critting. Double spinning edge hits twice, and if either hit crits, you get the refill, so I've gotten to a point where I'm rolling thirty of them in a row and since usage is 50k or so damage, 25% of that fills you up to full health, so the only danger to you is an enemy that can oneshot you. If that happens, though, a teammate just picks you up, you use your level 3/4 special to refill the party gauge, and you resume slaying.

I still need to hit level 99, get the endgame chips, and grind out some Aux cores to get a party ready for the superbosses, but the time is getting close

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Who besides Poppi and Aeaegeaeon know leap

Looking through all my rare blades, Finch is the only other one I have

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay that was sort of disappointing, I just beat the level 130 superboss and I was only level 85. First try, too.

Can I finally be free?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Do you have all the blades with maxed out affinities

Im genuinely glad Ursula exists so I wouldn't even consider this for a second. I might max the affinity for the blades actually in my team or something? Or at least grind out enough cores for a KOSMOS pull.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

An Abbreviated Summary of Sidequests in Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

Sorry I meant "available" as in "You can trade for this." It's on the list but it's grayed out if you're full up on Boosters, even if you have all the treasure necessary for the trade.

I was lucky that I noticed this early but man what a bad mechanic. The game will just autosell any accessories you pick up if your inventory is full but can't do the same with the boosters? Heck off

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm pretty positive the game never tells you Pneumia can be used during a party attack to hit all orbs at once

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People really gotta stop throwing spoilers out willy nilly. It's rude as gently caress tbh.

Using the word Pneumia wouldn't be a spoiler because you never hear the word used in-game until you already have it. If you have to ask what it is, you don't have it yet, and if the response to "whats Pneumia" is a spoiler tag then yeah, that's gonna be a spoiler, which was tagged.

U-DO Burger posted:

- Give Rex an Axe blade so he has access to Launch, and give him an Overclocking Bangle or whatever it's called so he can swap blades quickly.

I agree with most of this list, Cloud King Ken is a mega pushover, but if you have the Affinity Chart slot on Rex that extends Topple duration then you're better off with a different accessory. You should be able to reliably Topple, switch to an axe user, use Rex's axe skill that does bonus damage to toppled enemies, then use his launch skill, then switch again and smash all without the Bangle, and that's throwing in an extra attack just for the heck of it

Pierson posted:

I've finally got my entire team equipped with gold chips but I'm only around level 75, way too low for the bandit superboss people say is best for legendary cores. Is there a method to grind out a whole bunch of levels, or some other uniques I can find that's good for cores?

I killed the 130 superboss at level 83 or so, but ironically the other lower-leveled enemies like Gladiator Orion are more difficult. Worry more about having the actual postgame crit chips from Ken and the good accessories, also Block V chips on all the blades on whatever tank you're using which can be gotten from Vampire Bride

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It boggles my mind how I managed to beat both the 118 and 130 superbosses but the Relentless Arduran one-shots my party with his smelly breath

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Reiterpallasch posted:

water resist V aux core on your tank. it's a cone attack so don't stand in front of the thing yourself and you won't be hit.

Ohhhhh this makes sense. Not the cone part, the game has very finnickey and busted aoe zones, but it's using a water attack on Poppi who's still sitting on a fire affinity. Might have to grind out a water elemental core.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Make sure you're not fighting the one off by himself near the two alive giant titan weapons, that one is for some reason stronger despite being the same level as the others. Have you finished the game yet? When you beat the game and make a save, loading it will spit you back at the door before the fight with all the experience you gained from the fight. So, if you wanted, you could fight the final boss multiple times for a ton of EXP, that should easily boost you to 80. Even at low-mid 70s you should be able to grind on King Ken though which will require you to have beaten the game

Amppelix posted:

Did I imagine it or was that a mandatory Keen Eye 3 check in the crucible? If so, that is some serious bullshit right there. Keen Eye 3 is theoretically possible to get without rolling a blade for it but it's an arduous effort by this point in the game.
This is why I think there's some nudging on which blades you get, I hear tons of people talk about how Adenine is one of their first blades they pull who, conveniently, has Keen Eye.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Gorg is literally my latest Blade pull, in chapter 6, and the first one I've ever got with Keen Eye. And I had to spend a whole lot of cores to get him. This nudging if it exists is not very reliable at all.

Although I wonder if I'd gotten stuck there and started pulling in desperation it would've pretty much instantly given me a Keen Eye blade? That would be really smart, and this game does have smart decisions in a couple of areas surprisingly enough.

...I remember failing a skill check and immediately getting a rare blade after that. This requires testing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

5er posted:

Just unlocked the Chapter 5 new guy, burned 10 rare and 39 normal cores, and didn't get a single rare on any. Christ.

My oldest son watched the whole thing with me and by the end of it said that it's pretty f'd up how on every core before just showing you what you really got, they'd always tease you with the silhouette of an actual rare.
He's right, that's total bullshit.

I've been seeing the same one rare silhouette for the last 50 rolls

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

110 hours into the game and I just realized that each blade has a stat modifier that increases one of your stats by a specific amount and thats how people have been deciding which units are good on which. Vale gives +ether so you give her to Nia who has ether-based spear attacks. Wulfric has +str so you give him to someone with strength-based spear tech.

gently caress.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Xarbala posted:

Oh yeah, I've noticed that but I've just been too lazy to crossreference between different Blades and Drivers' Art movesets. That and I don't have Four yet and I feel like that's when I'm going to go nuts with the Blades I have now. (If I get good Ether Cannon rares I'll overdrive them to Five later when he finally hops on?) The game technically gives you the info at least.

I think the Five ether cannon build is the most significant moveset difference in the game, most skillsets between characters are almost identical in everything except the little bonus things they do. You'd think Rex wouldn't have the same wild-rear end animations as Five does for his main weapon, but he basically does. I went through most of the game with +hp tanks on Four who's supposed to be an evasion tank, so it's not a huge deal, but I've managed to pump one of my characters up to 700 luck using stat-boosting blades so I can pretend like I'm gonna get better core pulls. Only five rare blades left...

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PJOmega posted:

Is there some trick to loading premium cylinders in a shop? Have long rested in torigoth 30+ times and no premium cylinders showed up. Have A rank salvaging and am in the post game

Do you have max dev rank in Torigoth? I have all sorts of loving questions about this game and one of them is if Short Resting at an inn functions the same way as long resting where it changes weather, or if long resting changes shop stock st all or just weather/cloud level. All I know for sure is fast traveling between continents will definitely work (eventually).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PJOmega posted:

I have a 16/16/20% luck mod blade equipped, a 31% luck boost accessory, and a +27 luck accessory and I'm at 732 luck.

How do you get #5 to 999 luck?

Buckle up this is some goofy poo poo. You need your luck mod blades to have either a bitball, a spear, or knuckles, then you need to use a specific weapon chip on them that gives them +50 luck

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm a vocal hater of the game's English dub, and playing through the game with the Japanese voices on has given me a weird insight on things. There's a lot of points where the things the characters are saying just blatantly don't line up with what the English text is telling me, and that irks me because I like to complain about writing and now I can't really tell if some of my complaints are about the game itself or with the English translators just deciding to change or put things in. Like for example, Rex's great awesome "Titan's Foot!" catchphrase is an English-only dub choice, the voice lines in Japanese are always just angry grunting sounds. There's also a scene where Five is talking to Poppy and Tora and Poppy pretends to be a dog and most people thought it was really creepy and weird, but the Japanese voice had something completely different going on. That makes me wonder what else they decided to change and makes me constantly question what characters are saying when they say something odd. Like, the dumb "Salvager's Code" schtick that Rex has - is that actually what he's saying or is that something the English dub invented? They also changed borderline every characters name so they seem really really comfortable with changing things as they see fit, so I don't ever feel like I'm just overthinking it when I wonder if the things they're saying are what they originally meant.

Also I just now for the first time heard Tora and Poppy's English voice acting and holy poo poo how could anyone defend that

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Taear posted:

We've said this a lot to you but nobody speaks Japanese. All those names that you don't want changed are meaningless words to 99% of the people playing the game outside of Japan.

Yeah, I know. Thanks for reminding me. But changing names from the Japanese names that wouldn't have meaning to English names with no meaning doesn't make sense. Why even bother? Homura to Pyra? That one completely makes sense, and the name they chose is a good indication of what the original name was supposed to tell you. Hikari to Mythra? Why didn't they stick with the pun about light, but sure, they picked some special-sounding name. Suzaku to Roc, I guess Roc works but now you're ditched the tie-in with the other blades. Byakko to Dromarch? What's a Dromarch mean? Sure, you might not know what a Byakko is, but you don't know what a loving Dromarch is either so why loving change it? Tell me the significance of the name "Pandoria" and how that actually relates to the character. Same deal with "Brighid." What does Brighid mean in English? Same with "Aegeon." They didn't take a Pokemon approach where all the Pokemon names were basically puns that don't translate very well and so they came up with appropriate English puns, they did that with maybe three characters and then just changed tons of names for the sake of it.

I don't really care about the fact that the names are changed in and of itself, it's more indicative of the larger problem that the English translation of the game took so much editorial power on itself that it makes it difficult to distinguish what else they decided to change or add in, which there has been a fair amount of discussion about.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the biggest problem I have with Tiger Tiger is that it wouldn't be so bad if the controls weren't so god awful, but the analog stick is poo poo and I can never make him consistently shoot diagonally when I want, and if I use the left controller arrow buttons it destroys my thumb

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

nessin posted:

So I'm fighting Mikhail and Patroka. They are a pretty easy and simple boss. Except they cast a ring of fire that your party will happily sit in. And MIkhail has a skill that has bugged out once and instead of doing a lot of damage to his target, it wiped my entire team from full health. And Patroka has bugged twice on the edge of the map making her unkillable. I do so enjoy starting a fight for the fifth time and only have one loss that was actually my fault, or even just luck of the draw.

Edit:
At least I didn't have to restart a sixth time. Although in the spirit of complaining about annoying Anime tropes, how about just watching people escape after being defeated? That gets used a lot in any story but anime writers seem to need to one up everyone by making it so there is intentionally no reason why they couldn't be stopped and having the heroes make no effort to actually stop them from getting away, they just do it.

The whole schtick of "we won the gameplay fight but the cutscene tells us that we lost" is also super annoying, especially considering this also happened all the time in the first game too and it's really weird to rely on the same super lazy narrative tactic over and over and over even across multiple games

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy loving poo poo I just realized you can convert parts all the useless parts you get from TigerTiger into ether crystals if you go into the part creation menu and press the Y button. I just got like 15,000 crystals from doing maybe 20 minutes of easy stage 5 runs

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've been grinding out TigerTiger and I have mixed feelings about it now after playing it for a longer period of time. On one hand, it's not as bad as I originally thought. You can pretty reliable perfect the first stage and get a lot of points per run, I'm almost done decking out PoppiQTpi and I wasted a lot of time testing the differences between normal/easy and also the different stages so I could have done it even faster.

On the other hand, it's even worse than I imagined because I haven't been able to play Stage 1 at all because I'm still grinding Stage 5 for the Light Element Core and the Muscle Master mod, neither of which I've gotten after 50+ runs. I haven't gotten ANY of the master mods, in fact.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Also, does every consumable merchant sell a deed to their shop? I'm in chapter 8, 5 starred all the towns and have at least one of every item I can buy but the vast majority still apparently don't have all their items they can possibly sell. I want to get them as early as possible because some of the perks are really nice (faster movement speed, larger item draw-in radius)

Not only do you need to hit 5-dev but you also need to complete the pink Merc Missions for the continent to make sure all the stores have all their stock because pink missions unlock new shop items. I found it very odd how early in the game it tells you about shop deeds compared to how long it would actually take you to get access to everything you need to get any more than the very first one.

Also, a note about the tutorials. I think another big issue is that almost every tutorial has some sort of gauge that needs filling, but the tutorial always says "now normally this isn't how you play the game but here!" and fills it for you without telling you which one it is or how to fill it normally. Plus, when it does tell you, it's very rarely accompanied by an on-screen indicator and they just refer to it by name, which is also confusing because there's so many mechanics with a similar name. Party Gauge, Party Combo, Driver Combo, Blade Combo, Full Burst, Elemental Burst, Elemental Break. I knew how to do all these things hours and hours and hours before I managed to piece together what the names for them actually were.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of development, is it possible to get the deed for Cafe Lutino after it moves to Lefteria? I thought I had done all the merc missions, but I'm missing a deed for that shop.

Hahahahah, about that. Some merc missions are exclusively tied to side quests so not only do you have to do all the merc missions but you also need to do side quests to unlock more missions to unlock more shop items. Xenoblade 2 doesnt give a gently caress about you or your time.

Specifically, I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink the one you're talking about requires the mission where you have to give 90k to the guy who takes money in Fonsett in the beginning of the game and then following his side-quest.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tyma posted:

Gah, specifically where is the point of no return for said quests / missions? I've put in so much time doing side-stuff, I'm almost afraid to advance the story at all until I've rinsed everything I can :(

There's a couple of merc missions, I think three, that are technically missable but give no specific rewards and have no side-story components to go with them so they're literally just for the sake of it if you really really care about completion. There's only one point of no return in the game which locks you off from one specific area, but everything in the area gets relocated to somewhere else so in that sense there isn't any "real" missable content in the game. In fact, some things won't be available until you hit the point of no return, so there's more incentive to actually reach it than not. Any quests that would have taken place in the area you get locked out of relocate, and so do all the shops, which will get new associated merc missions to unlock more stock only once they relocate. The point of no return is in the middle of chapter 8, once you beat the first boss fight of the chapter and are about to enter the big dungeon, the trigger is a little ways into the dungeon.

The only thing to actually be worried about if you're worried about getting locked out of content is that once you finish chapter 6, something happens that makes the game a mega pain in the rear end and locks you out of a lot of content temporarily, so you basically have to blow through the entirety of chapter 7 and half of chapter 8 in order to fix it. So, if you're doing side content, do it before the end of chapter six if you don't feel like doing 5+ hours of story all in a row. To give you a hint of where chapter 6 ends without spoiling anything: basically something Bad will happen and you'll be told you have three hours to fix it. Going where the game tells you to go at that point will end the chapter, so totally ignore the pretend time limit and go hog wild.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God be praised I have obtained both the Master Strike mod and the Master Muscle mod. Last thing I need from TigerTiger is the light elemental core and I'm done with the RNG components and can just finish grinding the Ether crystals needed. One thing I casually noticed however is that there are Treasure Sensor mods which each boost item drop rates by 100% and I'm wondering if against things like the Arduran if the drop in efficiency would be worth a +300% drop rate.

Also, thinking about Orb Ender: I think Orb Ender might actually be bad in terms of overall usefulness. The damage you output in Full Burst gains a multiplier based on how many total attacks you get in, so destroying orbs faster is worse because you have less time to build up a multiplier. Since there are only eight elements, and you have nine blades, you'll always have an elemental overlap, so as long as your only overlap isn't two elements on the same character, you'll always be able to do a break on the first turn to keep the combo going. An optimal burst with eight orbs on the enemy would look something like this:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Doesn't that quest actually start with a researcher at Mor Ardain? Or am I confusing this

Yeah, it starts in Mor Ardain where you get asked to smuggle the guy into somewhere to inspect the Nopon murals in a Merc Mission, and then after completing that one he relocated to Garfont for the second part of the quest.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Where do I farm Critical Restore V aux cores from?

Poppi is the only one who gets Crit Restore aux cores which you can just make from ether crystals, if you want crit restore on another character you need an Avant Garde Medal which is a drop from a unique monster you have access to in Chapter 8

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Depends, are you putting a healer blade on Rex/Five or using a character exclusively for healing? If you're going for a heal character, go with block because 1/3 of your attack skills are going towards a skill that does no damage, and healing weapons generally have the worst attack skillsets and attack animations. Also on your healer character, make sure you don't have any skills with break on any of their blades because they'll very very often prioritize going for the break as opposed to healing.

Slapping a healing character on an attacker means you wanna stick with the critheal. Boreas can heal your whole party when critting, and Ursula heals everyone just by being switched to and knuckles are the most viable healer critheal weapon, and even some attack-based blades like KOSMOS can heal the party with their level 3 special, so it's possible to go with a no-healer team with a setup like that

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

lmao at all the people who say that the reason for not liking the voice acting is because of some weird racism against English people despite the fact that American media portrays the English accent as being higher class and well-respected. My Youtube recommendations are nothing but Limmy's Show and Mitchell/Webb because I watch them so often but yeah I'm sure I've just never heard a real European talk before

The voice direction aside which multiple people have already commented on, too many characters sound less like they're doing voice acting and more like they're doing a stage play, Tora being a really prominent example of this. I think that's why it sounds like they're doing a fake accent, because normally when people put on fake accents they pair it with overacting, but in this case it's just overacting. From what I've heard, the dub uses a lot of film and stage actors, so those things would line up. If you just listen to a scene from the game while not looking at the screen, it's really easy to imagine it functioning as a stage-play, with characters walking across the stage and doing exaggerated gestures to each other

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sometimes there's weird hangups about quest markers. Try making sure Agate is equipped on someone, and then also go to the location anyways just to make sure. If you're in Gormott, let's say, and a quest updates to where you need to travel to Mor Ardain, the quest marker won't appear on the Mor Ardain map until you actually physically arrive on the continent, and then if you check the map again it'll be there.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where was it stated that? I've been meandering in chapter 7. I do remember a post battle conversation line where nia goes "I'll tell you about it later ;)" but that struck me as weird as well given where I am.

In the final Chapter

what happens is Rex and all his friends are going through a vision quest and you get into an actual gameplay fight with Nia after she attacks you, accusing you of "only having eyes for Pyra" and not noticing that she's "been there the whole time," both things she directly says

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Just found out you also get Overdrive Protocols for completing your party member's Affinity Charts that you spend skill points on, so that's another 5 easy ones

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I loving got the KOS-MOS

Only one blade left, and it's Dahlia

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

poe meater posted:

Any party member suggestions for lucky, inherited, and the hunter girls?

Inherited is a ether cannon so put her onto Five, good blade you can use in the ether cannon meme build. Lucky is an HP-based tank, so whoever your tank is, even though it'll probably only be temporarily useful. Spear user hunter onto Nia, it gives you a big bonus to your ether stat and Nia has a bunch of ether-based spear moves. Katana onto Four, one of the three best evasion tanks.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gormott and Mor Ardain having the best themes checks out because they're also the best areas in the game. XCX had forgettable music with the exception of NLA night theme which is so heckin dope.

Also I only ever used boosters to get them out of my inventory because that's another series of inputs that eat up time when you need to open 50+ cores. I find it interesting that out of every rare blade you could "randomly" pull, someone else had their last two unobtained blades be Dahlia and KOS-MOS also. I didn't have a problem with the rare blade drop rate until I got into like chapter 8 where it just slowed to a crawl, and now in the postgame it took me 150+ rare/legendary cores to pull KOSMOS. Thankfully now that I have Five's goofy ether cannon build, a maxed out Poppi, and an essentially unkillable Rex, I'm running out of things I feel motivated to do and might finally play something else.

Maybe.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

poe meater posted:

In general, how versatile are the party members using different blades under AI control? Can I make 5 use tank or healing blades? Or should I just use three of the same type of blade on 5? Same for the other party members.

Generally, party members are pretty dopey unless you wrangle them in a very specific way. Generally the best thing to do, for most of the game until you hit postgame where your roles don't matter, is to have three of the same role of blade on a single person. One designated healer, one designated tank, one attacker. Say you have two healers on Nia and one attacker - if the attacker blade has a Break attack, and neither of the healers do, it'll not heal to keep trying to break the enemy unless you get really really low and by then you might be dead. If you have no break attacks and three healers, it'll just swap between healers all the time and heal nonstop. Similarly, a tank blade is good for constantly drawing aggro and having a higher block/dodge rate. If your tank switches over to an attacker, it's not going to be able to generate aggro as fast as your attacker, and if it does you'll take just as much damage as your attacker party member would have since only the active blade does you any good.

I know it sounds kind of lame that every party member is sort of locked into their roles based on what their starting blade is, but eventually you'll unlock the ability to unequip every main blade (except Pyra) so you can make any character into any role. Alternatively, if you've been doing a lot of side content, you might be leveled enough where you can run something like two attackers who each have a healer blade on them to take turns topping the team off and then running a tank, but needing a tank is going to last you up until the very end of postgame where you end up being strong enough to run anything with the right accessory and aux core setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

So I tried fighting the Relentless Arduan after completing his feeding quest, and he one shot me. I was able to defeat the level 110 Cloud Sea King Ken (though it took a while), but apparently this guy has a strong single shot attack. Even if I successfully blocked against it with Tora, I have no idea how to keep my party from getting hit. Maybe you just have to be level 99 and have the higher hp/defense? I feel like I could handle the fight if I could survive that one attack, since one heal from Rex would get me back to full.

The Arduran is weird. I had killed the level 130 superboss and he was still one-shotting me with the busted-rear end "cone" attack, which yeah is water based so it wrecks default Poppi. I also found the last couple of levels weird, I was getting one-shot at level 91 but then I beat him once and shot up to 93 and then immediately fought him again and did the whole fight on auto-pilot where he barely got to do anything we were driver comboing him so hard.

On the subject of the game's story, there's a lot of plot fumbles. Like, if Bridgid is able to go do stuff while Morag is somewhere else, yeah, what's stopping Blades who want to break the master/slave cycle just saying "yeah see you later" and leaving if they want? Even Theory turns against her driver for being a bad guy and so she can be with Praxis again. It's got the same problem as Pokemon Black/White, where the bad guys think Blades shouldn't be people's slaves, but in reality 99% of blades are friends and are happy with the relationship between blade and driver and it's the bad guys who are actually using blades as tools.

The game doesn't do a good job of painting the world in turmoil - it spends a lot of time lingering on the war over land and the arms race, and then claims blades are tools of war, but almost all fighting between nations in the game is done with airships and not blades. Meanwhile, any time you fight anyone who is actually misusing Blades, like the bandits who raze a village or the core crystal hunters, the blades are either completely silent or end up or end up being good guys anyways like mentioned earlier. Hell, the whole Praxis/Theory plotline goes against one of the core concepts of the story that blades personalities are influenced by their drivers, where Malos only wants to kill all humans because of Amalthus, but apparently Theory is strong enough to resist the bad influence and turns on the bandits. We only meet one blade in the whole game who learns they were a bad person in a previous life, and it's not even a story blade, which seems like a real missed narrative opportunity. We also never see any blades who we become friends with get taken by a bad guy and then become bad. Because of this, Jin's whole "humans are abusing blades" thing never really feels like it's even remotely true, and if the game spent as much time trying to show us humans actually abusing blades as it did trying to show us sepia cutscenes or Torna members being sad, their motivations would have been a lot more understandable.