Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

snoremac posted:

Xenoblade X’s music ranged from woeful to beautiful. The day and night music in the city was disgusting but some of the overworld tracks, particularly Sylvalum, were amazing.

Anyway I never finished that game due to the crappy level requirements for the main stuff.

XCX had so many great songs and you heard maybe 10% of the soundtrack on a regular basis playing the game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Aaaan that is why "anime" as a descriptor is worthless and meaningless.

Riki isn't great because he's a cutesy fluff ball with wacky eyes or whatever. He owns because he's a dead-beat dad who joins the hero's group to support and protect his seven kids.

Riki also owns because Riki sneaky

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
my body is ready for the most anime game

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I started the game in with the Japanese voice pack but I just can't stand missing out on the during/after combat banter, which was one of the best parts of XC1, and it's not subbed. Onward to the extremely British voices, I guess.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Little details in this game, man. Poppy blindly running up against the locked hangar door on the battleship was incredible. I can't believe there's no Switch video capture for this game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Somehow (and note here I'm just starting chapter 3, so I'm sure there's more) this game seems to have less byzantine bullshit than XC1 and especially XCX. Like, I'm still spending segments of downtime in menus juggling accessories, SP, WP, blades, chips, cores, pouch items, town development, shop deeds, and more. But combat feels cleaner and I feel much more in control than I did in XCX.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Really enjoying playing without the minimap on, as well as trying not to activate sidequests, but would it kill them to have given us a compass somewhere on the hud?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone know what the hell Perun’s key affinity 2 unlock condition actually is

I don't know but I just got her as my first rare blade (out of a Common crystal) and I don't want to hear anyone complain about Pyra's boobs ever again in this drat game

E: seriously watch this intro if you haven't seen it yet
https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/921273770937016322

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 4, 2017

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Also the fact that named uniques stay dead after you kill them is a huge loving improvement over XC1 and XCX

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I really want to switch back to the english dub because (screaming aside) I really really like Rex and Nia, and hell Tora and a bunch of others too

but Pyra is just phoning it in a lot of the time, which I guess is inoffensive enough, but I'm visibly cringing at what a certain scene at the start of ch4 (involving a sleepwalker) is like in english

these VOs could not seem to dramatize at all

I honestly like that Pyra's English voice is a bit deeper and her delivery is a bit less emotional than I'd expected. I'll never get tired of her 'and I'm glowing' delivery during the night transition.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Finished chapter 3 last night and glad to see the plot already going totally off the rails, just like in XC1 :cool:

I didn't find the chapter 3 boss fights nearly as difficult as some people itt did but I ended up overleveled from quest XP. So far the most fun I've had in battle is with the unique driver on the path up the second titan. That owned.

Also, just for stats, I've opened probably 30 common cores and have two rare blades. I'm waiting a bit to crack open the 10 or so rare cores I've accrued, probably until I can farm them in chapter 4 (if that salvage spot really does work)

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

can I just say, the animation for Launching an enemy as they spin around wildly is loving incredible

Combat really has a lot of fun 'slowdown zoom-in action' moments sprinkled in, all without it managing to drag. If you were listening to the combat audio only you'd think it was a fighting game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I want to overkill everything, help, the party combo is addictive

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm in mid chapter 4 and have been traveling around doing side quests and all of a sudden my load times got huge. Opening a core crystal is giving 15-30 sec load times before the blade appears. I'm playing on a physical cart. Is this a known issue? I've closed the game and will reopen fresh later, but it's the first time this has happened in many hours of play.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

No but jokes aside knowing Nomura designed Torna is like fedex arrow, they all definitely look like definite Nomura men and women

Hahaha I didn't know this and yeah you're exactly right

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

TurnipFritter posted:

I realize this is a switch game and all, but there have been several scenes in chapter 5 where the texture work has been godawful.

The environment and world design is definitely more cohesive here, but my terrible secret is that I found XCX a prettier game overall.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Holy poo poo the fixed minimap button is the greatest patch in the history of gaming

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Dude put Wulfric on Rex already. He has three of the most commonly used field skills, deals loads of damage, and his heart to hearts / quest are hilarious.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Also, I'm finally into Chapter 8 and I was worried for a brief moment that they were going to half-rear end the Xeno part of this game but thankfully we have gone fully off the rails. The whole sequence that closes out Ch 7 is perfect anime nonsense and now I'm wandering around the post-apocalyptic city like I'm in a SMT game and it's lovely.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Is Finch the only hammer blade with an agility mod? Pretty much the perfect fit for Four, yeah?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Do you only get 4* generics from legendary cores? I've opened probably 100 rare cores and never seen higher than a 3*

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm almost positive there's some behind-the-scenes mechanics to how gacha rolls work. From what I'm seeing, a lot of people are getting Perun and Adenine very early in the game, meanwhile tons of people can't seem to get a KOSMOS. I have loving bananas gacha luck in every game I play so there's only 7 rare blades I don't have yet, and I haven't done any intentional core farming either. I'm still sitting on 50 common cores and 50 rare cores, so I haven't been annoyed at all with the system but I can imagine it would suck to be stuck with generic blades because either you just cant pull a rare one, or the one you do pull is a healer on Zeke or something like that. If NG+ lets you keep your rare blades that would be really cool, even though I'm not sure I could bring myself to do a second playthrough I do think it would be fun to be able to give all the blades a try

Perun was my first rare blade pull, so yeah this wouldn't surprise me. The gatcha system is disappointing for sure, especially when you pull a good blade late in the game and have to jump through a bunch of bullshit hoops or send it off on a bunch of merc missions to fill out the affinity chart.

One nice thing is that Zeke has a lot of ATK quest blades he can use in Wulfric, Praxis, Sheba, and Herald. Meanwhile, Nia only gets one HLR and Morag only gets two TNK blades (and only one evasion-based).

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
If you need to kill him for an affinity unlock, just push him off the edge right back. You won't get his drops but it's not like you'll be missing much. Kit out a party with some blowdown skills / specials and send him flying.

Silver Falcon posted:

Somebody sell me on having Ursula on Nia. I've been preferentially giving her Bitball healers because they have that nice full-party heal in addition to the potion-spawning skill. Ursula, and other claw healers, don't seem to have the full-party heal on anyone. What am I missing? For reference my Ursula has all but the outermost ring of her affinity unlocked.

If you don't mind the change in class, Ursula seems to fit better on Rex or Zeke as a supplemental healer.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 7, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I find it hard to put both Rex and Zeke out together, and I don't want to miss out on Zeke's battle chatter, so Rex has been on the bench for a while now while I grind out sidequests and affinity.

His Shulk throwback line and 'let's get ready to rummmmbbblllleee!' are both hilarious.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Zeke in Smash please but only if he gets that 'gold pine resin' driver art as his neutral B

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
A fun game to play with Dahlia's quest is "Who Has the More Annoying Voice?"

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Speaking of the English VO, Zeke's 'opening treasure' grunts are basically Zapp Brannigan sound effects

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The dagger for me was the Bana's Chest sidequest. Anyone who's finished it knows what I'm talking about.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Probably the only good thing about Dahlia is her passive that damages adjacent orbs during a chain attack, it can really chew through them

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The (ch 8 spoiler) Rex Master Driver thing is something I didn't know about until I was most of the way through the game. It absolutely would have affected which characters I drew blades with. I think I'm happier that I wasn't spoiled though because I only got two rares on Rex so it wasn't a huge deal

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey, you know what's really cool, that tiny bit of distorted electric guitar that comes in under the middle of Alba Cavanich's day theme.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Just got the final affinity level unlocked for Mythra and wow, Rex the spinning murder machine is no joke. That heal-on-crit build has to be hilarious

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Sorry, it's clearly
Riki > Tora >>>>>>>>>>>>> Tatsu
Heropon very cool.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Man, fighting unique monsters, especially ones at or slightly above your level, is my favorite part of this game, which made the final couple chapters a treat. Some of the most entertaining non-boss combat, reminds me of the good parts of XCX

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Awakening, You Will Know Our Names, and Uncontrollable are all great, but XC2's Boss Theme 2 is still my favorite XC battle music

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

Can you link that one? Youtube isnt being any help with "Boss Theme 2" specifically although a lot of the playlists there have deleted videos so maybe it was one of those.

https://youtu.be/pSkDqgTsUNw

I don't know why I love it, it's atypical jrpg boss music, but it's a fun, over the top guitar rock jam that really shows the game not taking itself seriously

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Those fights were dumb and bad and the one you are stuck on is the worst of them. The scene afterwards is worth it, though.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I got to the final boss door and I've got to say (endgame spoilers) that was all a lot more coherent than I expected, from Amalthus imprinting on Malos to make him the way he is, to the Aegises being the computer cores (with Alvis implied to be the missing third core), to the explanation of the cloud sea. It was a crazy amount of plot to cram in at the end but it's a tighter wrap than I thought possible. Time to go beat the game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's strange how (still ending spoilers) Klaus's personality developed in XC2's world vs. XC1's. Probably the effect of seeing how his actions impacted the world he came from, and also being aware of what his other self had done to Mayneth/Galea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Supremezero posted:

It's actually kind of weird. There's Dromarch, and there's random blades, but there's no other rare animal blades.

Of course they announce this the day after I finished Ursula's quest.

I believe Roc is technically an animal blade for merc mission purposes