Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I am enjoying this video game, but for me almost every aspect of it is just not quite as good as XC1 (or no where near as good as XC1 in a couple of areas). I really enjoy the goofy tone and characters though. Only 10 hours or so in, so some of that may change, but at the moment a little disappointed. A lot of the quest/social/town type stuff seems a little incomplete and unpolished and there are a few areas where the interface just seems rushed and doesn't really fit with the level of presentation in the rest of the game. Having fun though, so will keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Slowly getting my head around combat and leveling blades and the game (and it's systems) are growing on me.

I still miss the collectopedia and the npc affinity grid though.

I'm doing so much busy-work grinding though, but I enjoy grinding. I guess it wouldn't be a Xenoblade game without it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ytlaya posted:

This is a good example of an "absolutely dumb in every way" thing that for some reason doesn't bother me much. I guess because the level of inconvenience is relatively easy to ignore and I got into a routine of flipping through everyone's affinity grids periodically.

Same. I've just got in the habit of quickly checking whenever one pops up, and use that to have a quick look at what I need to do next to keep unlocking. And when you're in one it's easy to L/R across all the blades to check them all.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I don't know much about anime in general, so can't speak to what is or isn't a cliche, but I'm enjoying the goofiness of XC2. It feels a lot less self-serious than a lot of similar games I've played in the past, even when it's being overly dramatic. I have no idea how much of this was in there to begin with and how much is the translation leaning into it. And while some of the character design is a bit iffy (or a lot iffy) some of it is actually pretty good and I like the fact that they're using a lot of different styles and artists and that every rare blade has it's own distinctive idle animations etc (Degas pulling out a throne being the highlight so far). Despite some flaws and annoyances I'm enjoying it more as I go one, as opposed to X, which I enjoyed less as it went on despite loving the premise and setup.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 3, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

I'm enjoying the game, but if someone doesn't like Anime this game drips with it.

To being fair you're doing a pretty good impression of someone who hates it. Your posts in this thread are just pages of pages of things that annoy you, things you wish were different and complaints about the game and anime in general. I assumed you were forcing yourself to hate-play it for some reason. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I don't really get why you're so fixated on it being anime-ish though. I get that it's a shame for you as you've made it abundantly clear you don't like anime. But at some point isn't it just the same someone who does like anime going into a thread for Call of Duty (or whatever) and constantly complaining that it's not anime enough for them?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I love anime and hate this game, explain that one atheists

When they release the inevitable Xenoblade Heroes X Dynasty Warriors crossover you'll finally achieve the inner peace you crave

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Pollyanna posted:

This game clearly needed more time in the oven. I wonder if they tried to rush it for the holiday season.

Perhaps if they had more time they would just have kept on adding more and more systems and collectibles on top of systems and collectibles. Rushing it out may have been a blessing in disguise.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

I don't think they ever came out in Europe.

Had to look that up because I was sure you were wrong, but turns out I must have imported Xenogears from the US. I know a couple of the 'saga ones did come out here, but I found them pretty unplayable.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

poe meater posted:

Xenoblade 2 is pretty dang anime, but xenosaga was even too anime for my young middle school self. I think I played it few hours at most. It broke my heart due to my fond memories of the gibberish that is xenogears.

Nothing I've seen in any of the blades games, even if the costumes are crazier, comes close to the robot girl in Xenosaga in terms of creepiness.

Taear posted:

Seems a bit hypocritical there.

I'm not up to that part yet, but there has been a least a couple of times where costume related hypocrisy has been called-out in-game, which suggests at least some level of self awareness about it (that I enjoy). Again I don't know if it's the same in Japanese or it's the translation.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

Even (chapter 7 spoiler) blade Nia? She's the worst to me. You can see her vagina and she's 14. I mean...what?

I'm not up to chapter 7 so don't have any context or know if you're being hyperbolic or not, but I'd still be surprised if I found anything in this game as creepy as Momo. If I did, I'd probably stop playing. In general costumes don't bother me so much though, it's more about tone.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

I...don't think you do?
The outfit would be totally fine with pants. There's a thin strip of fabric right in front of her crotch and that's it.

So, US "pants". Given the your spoilered post I was assuming you were talking about UK "pants" which would have concerned me somewhat more.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

poe meater posted:

Well yeah, that poo poo was 20 years ago lol.

Do people like xenosaga? What was special about it?

I'm sure it has it's fans, but I don't think it's ever been that popular. From what I remember it was overly ambitious (in terms of story) with more cut-scene than game, and felt a bit like the work of a "visionary" (who had worked on some of the most beloved JRPGs of all time) with no one telling them to reign it in, which again tends to be something that can attract hardcore fans. The Xenoblade games are a massive improvement. But... I didn't play them all that much and it was along time ago, so may be misremembering what they were like.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

I live in Manchester, we say pants to mean trousers too!

:wave:

And to mean pants as well... hence my confusion (and my regular confusion as what people are referring to given my current location relative to the city in question and don't get me started on tea/dinner/supper).

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

U-DO Burger posted:

please don't misinform people, you get to take 5 steps after one cutscene to begin the next one

Haha, I was about to mention that but wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

U-DO Burger posted:

to clear up your confusion, this whole stupid conversation is about a young character wearing a leotard

Teenagers? In leotards? Only in Japan *rolls eyes and glances nervously at Teen Titans: Judas Contract TPB*

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
With rare blade's personal quests that start out in the world, do they need to be equipped in your party to trigger?

As an example (only chapter 4 or 5 so just in case): Approaching someone getting menaced in an alley leads to a cut scene with Perceval, would that have happened, or would the quest start marker have been there if he wasn't already in my party? Likewise heart-to-hearts that trigger or progress blade quests?

Game is still growing on me despite a few annoyances, but the more it grows on me, the more I long for an XC1 remaster.

Also... things like face slap to smashing the screen in a FF style combat transition really makes up for a lot of annoyances

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 6, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Oh well, it's not like I don't have my phone and a notepad next to me at all times with this game already :rolleyes:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
According to my personal rare blade tier list, which is entirely based on idle animations, Dagas is S rank

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The music in Indol amuses me no end. The lyrics are the most generic and meaningless religous-sounding, but not actually religious nonsense. Pretty though. Game has good soundtrack for sure.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Favourite banter: Nia + Sheba, can't remember the actual wording, but something along the lines of:

Sheba: I'm glad to announce the tea party will proceed as planned
Nia: I'm glad to announce that no one cares

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The Sean posted:

Is there any benefit to unlocking all of the cores? If not I'm really not going to shoot for it. Even if so, I'm not likely to try but I'm curious why everyone's upset at having to do it.

I have enjoyed several of the rare blade side quests. They represent a not-insignificant amount of content in a video game I have purchased and enjoy playing.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
When people unlocked Pyra's "swap characters in combat 4000 times" affinity requirement, how many did they already have? 1,999 down, 2001 to go for me :gonk:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
While some might find the rare blade lottery, trust grinding and ursula's quest annoying... for me, by far, the most annoying part of the game, is when you're running in the field and your blade is running slightly faster behind you and keeps bumping into you and stopping. Not sure if it's all drivers and all blades or just a specific combo, or when your runspeed is at a certain point, but it drives me crazy.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I can play the blade lottery while I watch TV. Can't do that with Tiger Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Natural 20 posted:

Man it feels like Zeke doesn't really do anything in game. It feels like he's meant to be an attacker but Mythra is so amazingly ridiculous that he's never going to take Rex's spot.

Rex + Zeke + Tank, with a healing blade on Rex can work