Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this game is going to eventually get an unfair reputation of being grindy because it seems like it's gonna end up with a combination of people that looked in a wiki and decided which blades they "have" to have and then also people that refuse to engage with the battle system and just think they need to fight every enemy for 35 minutes using auto attacks and uncanceled skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

In Training posted:

That whole tree in general progresses pretty slowly but I imagine this is like a 80 hour game so I haven't minded

I think you get a ton more points if you overkill. Which is another way this game will seem like a drag to the guy that refuses to engage in systems and just tries to beat the game by killing wolves until they are level 99

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

Honestly, I'm on chapter five and it seems like a lot of the fights would be virtually impossible without using cancelling/blade combos/party attacks.

Final fantasy 13 had a ton of people that apparently played the entire game treating the stagger mechanic as "bonus" and fighting even basic enemies in 15 minute fights.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nerdz posted:

I love how far the game goes to let you know that yes, a driver can have sex with the blades

I think FF9 has that peeing of a bridge scene just to establish that vivi has a dick since it comes up later that mages can reproduce.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

I like the sidequests in this game better than XC1.

The blade side quests are really blowing my mind. So many games make collectable monsters just a stat block that barely exists in story but this game has like a ten part quest with like voice acting and unique music and cut scenes and merc missions to get ursula in a band and you never see stuff like that. Games treating stuff like that as party members.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like I have a real unclear understanding of what the cloud sea is. Like at times it seems like they are up in the air and the cloud sea is literally just clouds and all the titans are flying, other times it seems like it's water under like a foot of fog. Or water under hundreds of feet of clouds? Now they are at a mountain made out of clouds?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
You can click in the left stick and get an onscreen map!?!?!?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Leathal posted:

Pretty sure the implication is that core crystals originally were developed by the initial Earth civilization and Klaus used the Conduit to create the Cloud Sea as a sort of nanotech catalyst that harvested all the OG Earth data from the core crystals and created a sort of hyper-evolutionary process aimed at restoring things with the supercomputer Aegises running the process. The Titans, Ether, etc were him being all "while I'm at it why not use my divine powers to Make Anime Real" just like his XC1 counterpart.

core crystals were originally cybernetic nerve cells that you were supposed to replace your brain with to live forever. But they just grew out of control if put in a human and made them immortal weird FF13 zombies. So klaus had to make new people from scratch with the titan/blade/organic life cycle

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I really like that poppi never gets any sad or tragic backstory. Anime made me so expect she was either a dying girl grampypon somehow transfered into a robot or else that an ether furnace was a bad idea that meant killing a lot of people/blades or something to make.

I like poppi is just a cool robot some nobodies made up and built.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

chumbler posted:

I've now got a mental image of Mythra wearing a million scarves like a toddler in a snowsuit.

I think I kinda imagined them eating everything you gave them. Blades aren't people, some of them obviously so, they can eat chess sets if they want. Being a time limited buff just feels like an eating mechanic to me and MOST of the things are food.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's funny how they try to imply Rex and company just knocking people on their asses, or knocking them out, rather than killing them yet Drivers often drop a Core Crystal...

The monado in the first game couldn't kill humans until you did special stuff. It feels fine in this series to have a "blades don't strike killing blows" rule. Or at least that they are able to hurt but not kill until changed to kill mode.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I really like xenoblade to xenosaga to xenoblade not being a real series. It feels like organic legend the way stuff shows up from one game to another. Like chuchu to Tora is a weird evolution that never would have happened in a normal series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taear posted:

Fast travel to another titan, travel back.
Repeat.

That's the only way.

Or sleep in an inn, which is the way the game tells you to do it. (it's free to fast travel so it's better, but the game at least does tell you a way to change the weather)