Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm taking two days off, though that's partially because I'm moving over the weekend as well.

Still, no shame. It's your vacation, use it how you want. I'm not big on travel so I take days off to play a new game all the time. I love that Nintendo has been releasing things on Fridays instead of Tuesdays, because I can just turn it into a long weekend instead of weekend-work monday-take tuesday off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^burtle posted:

With the sound options, it seems possible to turn the subtitles on and the voices to zero?

Or more specifically, can I just mute Rex and Pyra? The others sounded ok.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do we know how big this is, file wise? Debating just downloading it from the store so I can play on Thursday night (gamestop is the only place near me that does midnight releases and I refuse to give them money) but I don't have an extra SD card because I generally just buy physical.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rascyc posted:

Not sure I want to buy a switch for this. Second trailer was infinitely better than anything else though.

Don't buy it just for this, buy it for this + Mario + Mario X-Com + Diet Horizon

DLC Inc posted:

I've read it's 13 gigs digital

Excellent, I think I have enough space for that? I'll have to make sure. I've downloaded a couple of digital only games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rascyc posted:

What's the Diet Horizon game? loving loved me some Horizon.

Breath of the Wild

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Andrast posted:

I guess they're both open world?

They got compared a lot because they came out within like a week of each other and the combat is kinda similar (bow/melee) :shrug:

All I remember personally is that after playing it for a couple hours all I wanted to do was play Horizon instead (which I did!)

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also Prime 4.

I don't expect this to come out before 2019 personally, felt like the E3 reveal was just a "WE'RE MAKING IT OK, LEAVE US ALONE"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

BOTW is hands down better than Horizon and it's not even close.

Same but in reverse :)

TFRazorsaw posted:

from what I understand, you can use a character's main blade, plus three others.

Rex is unique due to Pyra's form changing ability between herself and Mythra, effectively giving him access to four blades in battle, but not all at once.

spoiling just in case, from one of the story trailers:

didn't one of the story trailers show both Pyra and Mythra standing together in the same shot?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Amazon still shows as $60 for me, did they change it just now, or were you guys comparing the special edition vs the regular edition?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Special Edition is discounted ~20% for everyone. Regular edition is only discounted for Prime.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

Reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2 in which you couldn't get all the warriors in one playthrough. Which sucked because some were WAAAAY better than the alternative.

Or Crono Cross which had like 50 playable characters, with some being mutually exclusive or only obtainable at certain times.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like Tora and Poppi (and all the characters I've met so far, really) but I cannot wait until I get a fourth permanent party member (who can hopefully tank) so I can have someone with three blades of differing elements.

Speaking of which, I have a couple questions regarding overdrives. Is there ever a point where they're farmable/purchasable or are they a finite resource? I've got a couple rare blades that I want to use but have them on the "wrong" character. Also, if I use an overdrive does that reset their affinity chart? I don't want to lose all the progress I've made via merc missions on some of them if I do decide to change them.

Also I assume this is the case but do I get all the passive combat bonuses from my equipped blades even if they aren't the currently active ones?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

I agree with this, with the exception that Rex oddly seems to be the most competent person in the party. Like, the guy is obviously really skilled from living on his own as a salvager for a long time, so it's not that strange that he is agile and can fight and what have you.

Given the one off lines that for some reason nobody follows up on really early in the game (Rex mentioning he was trained by Gramps, who clearly knows Pyra well, to fight; Torna specifically requesting him because of where he's from; and him needing to be the one to open the doors to Pyra's chamber, including some weird poo poo going on around his feet between them) I'm assuming that he's got some chosen one/descendant poo poo going on that they're going to drop on us later in the game. Also because that's anime/jrpg as hell.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a "level cap" on weapon arts? I can see myself trying to max out a bunch of them because I want to use way more than three blades per person but it seems like it'll be an awful grind if I do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

Not sure.

Also beating enemies with a chain combo earns you way more SP FYI. Good Luck on your hellgrind :911:

Chain combo as in the thing I hit + for? drat, I usually Save It For Later™ but maybe I'll just have to bust it out on the poor idiots that aggro me while I'm picking flowers even though they're like five levels below me. I'm level 31 and have finally started getting to level 3 arts so maybe that's part of why I feel like I don't do as much damage as I should.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ciaphas posted:

salvage npc?

In argentum he's on a platform on like the fourth floor that you have to jump to, he'll give you a rank and also stuff when you rank up.

At least I assume that's who they're talking about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bizarre deformity posted:

When do I get the ability to set three Blades, only having two is bullshit

end of chapter 3

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

the sidequest with the singing Nopon who just wants her kid to come home is sad as gently caress and now I need to suspend everything just to finish it

I tried to do that one but got tired of trying to get the materials for the drinks, and keep forgetting which ones I've already tried.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can just savescum it. Or pick Recipe 4 and get it over and done with.

Thank you, I wasn't doing that one the last couple times I went back because I was sure I had done it :negative:

I found this on Reddit which will do wonders for my quest to max out weapon skills
https://imgur.com/a/WzwOS

tl;dr - Maxing out any blade's affinity chart gives you an item that can add a big chunk of WP to any weapon type.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you see a lobster alcove with two ether crystals below it against the side of the screen then swim off screen where they are to get in. This is on stage two, dunno about later levels.

Barudak posted:

Does anyone know how to unlock all four bonuses in Tiger! Tiger! ?

One is no-hit which is just points so that only matters for Poppi affinity and one is exiting the stage with all treasure which is a bug lump of ether crystals. What are the other two?

No hit, all crystals (bonus stage doesn't count towards this), all treasures, all medals.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Here have another thing I'm stealing from reddit - deed spreadsheet (yes, this contains spoilers you dummies)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kenh9hSQn9T7kNExoYxR2WkuqqT-EZjUvdLalB3rDWc/edit#gid=1713298733

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(that means not locked behind development level and not locked behind the Mercenary sidequest stuff that's the last option in the pause menu you get in mid chapter 3)

End of chapter 3/start of chapter 4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SlayVus posted:

Maxing an affinity chart also gives the bonded character level ups in their Truth/Comp/Just/Brave levels as well. The best way I found to do this is with rarity 1 blades with as few affinity blocks as possible.

Does maxing out those levels actually do anything other than skew the odds of getting certain elements from blade bonding though?

Either way, using merc missions to fill out a bunch of level one blade orbs and then pulling them into my party to finish them off seems like something I will be doing to get my WP grind on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

Still don't know what's the significance of a character gaining an idea level. Does that affect the element of blades they can find?

If you look at the core on the blade bonding screen when you're highlighting a booster, it will have two elements circling the core. These are A: opposing elements, B: more likely to be the element you roll when that stat is higher.

Zore posted:

The higher the idea level the more likely common Blades are to come with better abilities and higher stars.

I've started seeing 3 star commons pop up consistently in chapter 6, and I imagine I'll start seeing some 4 stars and potentially 5 stars soon. And 3 Stars are already starting to look comparable to some of the worse rare blades.

That's excellent, as it's been theorized (though not proven) that higher level blades will give a bigger WP boost when you finish their affinity. Hopefully I have enough time to figure it out this weekend.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

No yeah I get that but characters have innate idea levels too, does that make them more predisposed to those specific elements even without using boosters? Like say if Rex is lvl 4 in Fire/water idea and lvl 1 in Ice/Wind does that mean that even when using one ice/wind booster during bonding he's still more susceptible to getting a fire/water blade?

Nobody knows for sure but that's the going theory, yeah.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mabels big day posted:

What the gently caress is poppi's favorite instrument

The maracas in argentum

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

also I really hope this Nia hotspring cutscene is not insinuating some bizarre genderbent spin

This is speculation but I'm still spoiling it

I'm assuming she's a blade. Torna seems to be a bunch of people that are really freaking old and we already know the one guy that fought with Mythra is a blade even though he also uses one in combat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Drashin posted:

I am pretty sure that the ???s are just meant to specify you haven't reached the area or part of the story that is required to complete it. Mostly I have seen this happen with nodes that require heart to hearts, side quests, or killing certain enemies.

It's this. I have a couple blades that have ??? unlocks that are a full tier below what I have available.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dirk the Average posted:

I do want to say (Chapter 4) that holy poo poo was the whole abandoned factory badly designed. First, they give me Mythra instead of Pyra and tell me that she's dogshit underground (and oh boy are they correct), and then send me on an entirely underground/indoor mission! I was more or less begging for the game to give me Pyra back because my combos were all built around the fire element instead of the light element, so not only was I saddled with a blade whose level 3 combo barely broke 10k due to being indoors (I assume?), but I could only combo Mythra with Mythra. As soon as I got Pyra back, those same 10k combos were hitting for around 40k or so and absolutely annihilating groups of enemies.

So what am I missing with Mythra? Once she's available as a party member, Pyra just seems better to me in every way. It probably has to do with Pyra's affinity chart being almost maxed out while Mythra's is still ranked low, as well as poorly optimized chips and aux cores (I actually didn't realize that the aux cores/chips weren't shared until after Chapter 4).

I also don't know why at the end of the abandoned factory when the Torna people were escaping, that Mythra didn't just orbital ion cannon the boat as soon as it hit the ocean. Surely that would make the threat from Jin a lot lower since his lackeys would lose their main mode of transportation?

Did you remember to equip Mythra with chips and aux cores? They do not transfer between her and Pyra.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What unlocks golden cylinders at older locations? I'm in chapter four and can buy them at the third titan, but none of the other places have them, even though their development is higher.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Andrast posted:

How do people use the fifth party member?

I feel like all the other characters already fill the roles I need in the party really well. Like, running without Nia healing seems difficult for anything slightly harder, Rex has the damage dealing sorted and the other two seem to be better tanks.

Apparently Kos Mos is all the healing you need and I've been beefing her up in my merc missions (because I am locked in with another light blade right now) so just get her and that should solve your issues like I'm hoping it will solve mine :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't know what this is but it looks like a spoiler I don't want to read about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know if it's more or less hilarious that they're completely static with zero jiggle to them. I'm pretty sure if Pyra turned fast and hit someone with them it'd be like swinging a sledgehammer.

I'm not sure what version of the game you got but "completely static" is very much not a word I would use to describe them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pollyanna posted:

How do I get on top of the Torigoth inn for crane criminals?

jump up the boxes by where the driver recruiter and girl who sells drinks are

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What element is the 500k gold core?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In Training posted:

Everyone beeline this asap because it's so powerful

How do I get this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finally got the 4th party member, used five rare cores and got three generics followed by Godfrey and Electra :smuggo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was overleveled for that part of the game and enemies didn't even aggro if I rubbed against them. I'm kinda thankful after all these horror stories :v:.

:same:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Question on party member 5 I just fought him for the third time, how long until he joins? I want to go do some sidequest cleanup while also hitting up old areas to take care of affinities and I want him to be there too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DalaranJ posted:

What are 4 and 5's default blades classes and can they swap them out?

Tank and Attack and maybe eventually?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Louisgod posted:

Does this game not have a collectapedia? And can you only have two Blades swappable during battle?

you can add a third after chapter 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pollyanna posted:

And is there a way to figure out what items I should be putting in pouches? I get that certain Blades need me to use items from certain categories or whatever, but am I just gonna be spamming pouch items over and over to unlock skills n poo poo?