Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there a way to turn off the combat chatter? There's a "battle narration" setting in the sound menu, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything.

I'm so loving sick of hearing Tora go "MEH MEH MEH" all the time that I'm beelining through chapter 3 until I get another driver I can swap him out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Secx posted:

Is there any reason to cast an art in the middle of a combo (cancelling an auto-attack)? Also, if I cast an art during say, step 1 or 2 of a combo, but time it with the animation, does this grant you extra art meter or does this only apply if you time it to the third step of a combo?

I'm only partway through chapter 3, but there are a few arts that grant evasion for the duration of the animation, so you might want to hang onto that until a boss uses a hard-hitting attack.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

One of my generic blades needs Wacon Upa kills in Leftheria. Apparently I've already got two of them, but I can't for the life of me remember where they were from. Googling "wacon upa" gives me literally zero hits. Any idea where I find these guys?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Taear posted:

Are you sure it's Wacon?
An upa is a sort of fish, they hang around in shallow water. The island near the start of the zone has some Upa in but I can't say I've seen any Wacon ones. They might be ones that only come out when the weather changes. Most of the fish in Leftheria are Grady, but you'll see Upa near where you see those usually.

Definitely says Wacon. A weather-dependent enemy would explain why I went all over Leftheria without seeing one... is there a reliable way to manage weather patterns like changing between high and low tide?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think I like this game, but it's my first Xenoblade and I honestly don't think I'll be playing a second

Like as much as I like about the game there's so much dumb poo poo to dislike

I'm in the same boat. The game overall is just engaging enough to keep me playing it, but it's hard for me to get over the extreme anime-ness of it; the dozens of unnecessary and inscrutable game mechanics; the sub-par user interface/experience; and the surface-level treatment of what could be a much richer world-building narrative.

Combat can be fun, if a little slow to get going at the beginning of every fight (and it took me far too long to wrap my ahead around how all of it functions), and I'm actually okay with most of the voice acting apart from the weird nopon stuff--most characters don't sound like they're forcing a voice, which is something that far too many anime dubs are guilty of.

I think the game has been pretty solid proof to me that I've kinda grown tired of anime-rear end animes, and JRPGs, and all their associated baggage.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

chumbler posted:

Also terrible UIs have nothing to do with whether or not something is anime.

My complaints are partly about the shounen anime tropes and partly about JRPGs. I grew up playing games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, and (on an emulator) Seiken Densetsu 3. I fell off the JRPG boat for a while mostly because I stuck with Nintendo consoles instead of Playstations, where most of the JRPG action moved to.

But, jumping back into the genre with this title, I forgot how it was common to have a ton of abstruse mechanics to pad out the complexity of the game, and it also seems like a lot of titles haven't picked up any of the lessons learned over the past decade or so about how to make a more user-friendly experience. Mass Effect back in 2007 got blasted for having an awful inventory system where you just scroll endlessly through a single list of everything you've picked up, and this is hardly better. The least I can say is that this game has fast travel, instead of making you run to the edge of town, hop on your airship, and fly to another titan.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I get weird racism vibes from the Nopon. They share the money-grubbing stereotype of a certain real-life group of people but then a majority of them including the high-ranking influential ones basically have the intellectual capacity of children

Smaller complaint, but I feel like the localizers couldn't figure out how to apply their weird grammar consistently. Most of the time nopons refer to themselves in the third person, but then they'll switch to first person when it would make the sentence too awkward. To make another callback to an old game that did it better, the gargoyles in Ultima 6 and 7 (1990/1992) had a speech pattern where they would speak in infinitives, and I feel like the execution was a lot better than the pseudo-caveman speak the nopons use.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

chumbler posted:

Also it's disappointing how nobody ever talks about how cool Morag looks.

Morag is a female Roy Mustang

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Momomo posted:

The blade/driver relationship seemed kind of weird for a game like this, since it seems like the blade has absolutely no obligation to follow the driver, and seem capable of functioning entirely on their own.

This is one of the things I meant when I mentioned missed world-building opportunities. Admittedly, I'm only about halfway into the game so far, but it feels like there are a lot more stories they could be telling in this world they've created. You have entire empires established on the backs of enormous, sentient, moving creatures, and immortal beings that spring out of rocks to follow you around and provide you with weapons, but instead we get a generic story about an orphan boy who finds an ancient power and uses it to have Dragon Ball-style fights with bad guys. The Ardainian–Gormotti conflict is a good start (our titan is dying and causing global (local?) warming, so we need to take over another titan), but there's so much more they could be doing with the setting.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 3, 2018

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I'm running with Rex, Nia, and Four with three-ATK, three-HLR, and three-TNK. It's effective, but rather bland... Without getting too gimmicky, what are some ways to mix it up? Has somebody tried running with ATK/HLR/TNK on every character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tae posted:

From what I've read, Rex sounds exactly like his VA. Which explains a lot. That accent is authentic, whatever it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TFl_rqIGc