Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Please do not discuss taping spoilers in this thread. Visit the spoilers thread for that discussion instead.

WWE NXT is the developmental division of the WWE, and a weekly TV show airing on the WWE Network every Wednesday at 8 PM EST.

NXT on WWE Network
NXT on Hulu (US only, requires subscription, includes Takeover specials)

NXT Champion Andrade "Cien" Almas (since November 18, 2017)

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/932080572196950016

NXT Women's Champion Ember Moon (since November 18, 2017)

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/932073255707521026

NXT Tag Team Champions SAnitY (since August 19, 2017)

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/899069960323977216
Triple H never took a mark picture with SAnitY, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what that means.

WWE UK Champion Pete Dunne (since May 20, 2017)

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/866095849411141633

The next TakeOver will be January 27, 2018, in Philadelphia the night before the Royal Rumble.

NXT runs tapings, house shows in Florida, and house show tours throughout the US at a constant clip, check http://nxttickets.com/ for more information!

---

What's new in NXT (as of November 21, 2017; I expect this to become out of date immediately)

TakeOver War Games just wrapped up and was yet another stellar show, with two surprising title changes: Ember Moon finally got her hands on the Women's Championship, and Cien came back from falling off the card completely to being the new NXT Champion!

The men's division in NXT right now is in an interesting place: Lars Sullivan has been running roughshod over the lower card, defeating Danny Burch, Oney Lorcan, No Way Jose, and most recently Kassius Ohno. I'm curious to see what's next for both Lars, and that list of people he's run over. NXT also just got Lio Rush, who is both short and bad at social media, but might have an opportunity to have some ridiculous flippy matches with the rest of the roster.

In the upper card, Drew McIntyre injured his arm during his unsuccessful defense, and will be out for up to 8 months, likely opening the way for newly-arrived Adam Cole to enter the title picture, or possibly Aleister Black. Velveteen Dream is coming off a breakout performance at TakeOver, too, and I would be surprised if we don't see him get into another high-profile feud, possibly as a face this time. My vote: Roderick Strong, cuz I wanna see Strong turn heel anyways.

Oh, and Hideo Itami got called up(?) to 205 Live. I wish him luck. He had some good matches in his last NXT run (especially his TakeOver Brooklyn match against Black), and maybe his lack of high-flying offense will actually be a good fit for 205 Live's weird variant of "cruiserweight" wrestling.

In the tag division, SAnitY, The Undisputed Era, and the Authors of Pain are probably still feuding after War Games. Maybe AoP will win the titles back, or maybe TUE will get a title match off the strength of their War Games performance. We could also see the Street Profits challenge one of the upper card teams, but uh, I don't think that'd go super well for them right now. Personally, I'm hoping for NXT Tag Team Champions Heavy Machinery. Steaks and weights, baby. I just found out from Twitter that Alexander Wolfe is a vegetarian, so maybe they should feud with SAnitY.

In the women's division, there's been a bunch of callups outta nowhere:

- Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose have gone to Raw as part of a new heel faction with Paige. Sonya has had a lot of TV time in the past few months, with wins over a buncha jobbers, and with the PC having a shiny new MMA badass lady in the form of Shayna Baszler, it makes sense she'd be moving on. On the other hand, Mandy Rose has had a grand total of two TV appearances (last seen jobbing to Ember Moon), but I guess was on Total Divas last season?

- Ruby Riot, Liv Morgan, and Sarah Logan have all gone to Smackdown as an apparently-unrelated heel faction. You should know Ruby Riot if you've been watching NXT at all lately. Liv Morgan is Carmella Two (though she was pretty over as a face on the Florida circuit, I'm told), and Sarah Logan (fka Crazy Mary Dobson) had a first-round loss to Mia Yim in the Mae Young Classic in a solid match.

Between that and the result of the championship match, the women's division is probably the most up-in-the-air division at the moment. They have solid faces in the form of Kairi Sane and Ember Moon and arguably Nikki Cross, but the heels... well, they have the Iconic Duo, and that's kinda it. Maybe they'll push Bianca Belair, or give Lacey Evans a less horrible gimmick? They do have a lot of talent waiting in the wings, but most are faces (Abbey Laith [formerly Kimber Lee], Rhea Ripley, Dakota loving Kai!!). Heck, if they can get MYC runner-up Shayna Baszler on TV soon, it could give the division a much needed boost. I'm hoping for an Ember Moon heel turn, myself.

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/920030540278857728

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A+ thread title

I thought Ruby and Sarah had a lot more mileage in NXT, so I'll miss them.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

nxt is very good

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Logan absolutely had a good NXT run in her and it's too bad we didn't get it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drat good thread title, drat good OP, and NXT itself is pretty drat good at the moment :cheers:

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

If Velveteen Dream and Aleister Black are not team Black Velvet in the next Dusty tournament I am done with this company

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fentry posted:

If Velveteen Dream and Aleister Black are not team Black Velvet in the next Dusty tournament I am done with this company

I’d take but it would be better if the VD ran in suddenly to protect a helpless Black against some heel stable or another.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’d take but it would be better if the VD ran in suddenly to protect a helpless Black against some heel stable or another.

No Black needs to come out to save Dream.

This is the kind of argument that tears apart fandoms.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They simultaneously save each other and also start a romance storyline because of it. They kiss as the main event of the next takeover.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Benne posted:

A+ thread title

I thought Ruby and Sarah had a lot more mileage in NXT, so I'll miss them.

Every single babyface on the NXT roster can't all have a NXT title reign. Ember's title reign and Kairi's future title reign will take NXT into like 2019. Especially if there's a heel reign between those.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It's crazy to see a WWE show that actually has babyfaces people like.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Stolen from Wreddit. The remainder of the women:

NXT Woman TV Roster:
Aliyah (22)
Bianca Belair (28)
Billie Kay (28)
Ember Moon (29) (Women's Champion)
Kairi Sane (29)
Lacey Evans (27)
Nikki Cross (28)
Peyton Royce (25)

NXT Woman Live Event Roster:
Abbey Laith (27)
Dakota Kai (29)
Jessie Elaban (29)
Reina González (26)
Rhea Ripley (21)
Sage Beckett (32)
Shayna Baszler (37)
Taynara Conti (22)
Vanessa Borne (24)
Zeda (30)

Also Signed:
Kacy Catanzaro (27)
Kavita Devi (34)
Shadia Bseiso (31)
Steffanie Newell (23)
Xia Li (N/A)

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Why doesn't Triple H have a selfie with Sanity?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Someone needs to photoshop Hunter into a Sanity picture for the op. It feels wrong right now.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Lance Storm and Don Callis buried NXT Takeover on their latest Killing The Town podcast.

Dream vs Black was actually bad.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

rovert posted:

Lance Storm and Don Callis buried NXT Takeover on their latest Killing The Town podcast.

Dream vs Black was actually bad.

What was their reasoning

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

velveteen dream is a lot like a library,

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
velveteen dream is a lot like a cancer charity

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

lance storm keeping his streak of dumbass opinions alive

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

What was their reasoning

It is pretty detailed, to be honest. Thought the match was 50/50 booking and didn't help either. Thought Dream was just a “crazy high flyer”. Lance said Aleister’s gimmick makes no sense in that he does hammerlocks and moonsaults yet they promote his MMA training. Stuff like that.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

rovert posted:

It is pretty detailed, to be honest. Thought the match was 50/50 booking and didn't help either. Thought Dream was just a “crazy high flyer”. Lance said Aleister’s gimmick makes no sense in that he does hammerlocks and moonsaults yet they promote his MMA training. Stuff like that.

The wrestling thing made perfect sense to me. He was showing that Dream wasn't a real wrestler deserving of resepect, so he was outwrestling him. Storm can be obtuse.

And he must've watched with the sound off, I thought both guys came out a ton better. Dream wanted to prove he was a wrestler, and did but got beaten, and he showed enough to get respect, which is what he got.

Storm crazy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HerraS posted:

lance storm keeping his streak of dumbass opinions alive

If Lance Storm likes Dean Ambrose I might reconsider my fandom. gently caress Lance.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lance Storm! He hates the Aleister Black matches!
Lance Storm! He loves when children get cancer!
Lance Storm! A moose should bite his tweeting hands off!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'll give them credit for at least having detailed reasons for disliking something that is consistent with their point of view, even if I vehemently disagree. I think that a large part of it came from them not watching the weekly TV so a storyline heavy match would go over their heads a bit. And Paul Lazenby is literally never happy with anything that isn't just Battle Arts or actual shoot fighting. Also, their dorky old dudeness means that a badass dark character can only ever behave in one way so they don't get "calm as hell Satanist" as a gimmick.

Unrelatedly, I know that people joke about Asian women never aging, but this is a bit of a reach:

rovert posted:

Xia Li (N/A)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

aleister black/tommy end playing up the kickboxing but doing a bunch of high flying and mat wrestling isn't a new critique of his work and something I've read for years at this point

i think it's fair

i also think it's fair not to give a poo poo

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I have a friend attending Storm Academy and one thing he's said is that Lance spends almost no time on character work, focusing almost all his time on in ring training. This isn't an inherently bad thing, but it does indicate where his focus is and from a purely "character derived from ring work" perspective I can see Lance's argument.

He's wrong, but I get it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This takeover made me want to try and watch NXT again so this is good timing for a new thread

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

rovert posted:

Every single babyface on the NXT roster can't all have a NXT title reign. Ember's title reign and Kairi's future title reign will take NXT into like 2019. Especially if there's a heel reign between those.
I don't think Benne was talking about title runs necessarily and I'd agree. Gotta fill up the main roster for that Women's Royal Rumble, I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol at how anyone could watch that match and think it did nothing for either guy. I mean, if you wanna critique technical aspects of it, sure, but you have to be delusional to think either guy didn’t come out of it better.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

rovert posted:

Stolen from Wreddit. The remainder of the women:

NXT Woman TV Roster:
Aliyah (22)
Bianca Belair (28)
Billie Kay (28)
Ember Moon (29) (Women's Champion)
Kairi Sane (29)
Lacey Evans (27)
Nikki Cross (28)
Peyton Royce (25)

NXT Woman Live Event Roster:
Abbey Laith (27)
Dakota Kai (29)
Jessie Elaban (29)
Reina González (26)
Rhea Ripley (21)
Sage Beckett (32)
Shayna Baszler (37)
Taynara Conti (22)
Vanessa Borne (24)
Zeda (30)

Also Signed:
Kacy Catanzaro (27)
Kavita Devi (34)
Shadia Bseiso (31)
Steffanie Newell (23)
Xia Li (N/A)

You hear anything about Zedas injury? She had her arm in a sling last week

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
tama tonga must have watched takeover cause he busted out dream's cartwheel death valley driver.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Sucks that Drew is out... I really wanted a rematch with Almas after how good they were at takeover. That said, this means we'll get someone new in the title picture and that's generally a good thing in NXT.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Fenrir posted:

Sucks that Drew is out... I really wanted a rematch with Almas after how good they were at takeover. That said, this means we'll get someone new in the title picture and that's generally a good thing in NXT.

yeah that's one thing that's a drawback for nxt for me is that since takeovers only happen every 2-3 months, the feuds are looooooooong, especially if you're not into either guy. personally i'm not really interested in drew mcintyre (he is very, very good, i just dont care about his character at all) or bobby roode so that whole build was death to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

shiksa posted:

tama tonga must have watched takeover cause he busted out dream's cartwheel death valley driver.

Or Jay Briscoe

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think a lot of those points are fair. It felt a bit weird when they started off chain wrestling, though I get the logic and I loved Black's counters. I definitely wish Black committed to the striker style a bit more.

Dream looks great when he's on the ground imo. His attacks all look like they have some serious weight behind them. The high flying he does do definitely fits with the extremely flamboyant character.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I feel like if Black committed to the striker style any more people would accuse him of being one dimensional.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I have a friend attending Storm Academy and one thing he's said is that Lance spends almost no time on character work, focusing almost all his time on in ring training. This isn't an inherently bad thing, but it does indicate where his focus is and from a purely "character derived from ring work" perspective I can see Lance's argument.

He's wrong, but I get it.

I'm trying to imagine what Lance Storm could teach anybody about character work and drawing a blank.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

rovert posted:

Where did I say anything about title reigns? Sarah Logan got like three jobber matches on TV and was gone before most people could even see what she was all about. While I'm pleasantly thrilled to see Crazy Mary fast-tracked to the main roster like that, I can't help but think there was some missed potential there.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Storm wrestling guys get booked in our local fed a lot and I can definitely see what your friend is talking about
They’re always solid wrestlers but don’t have much going on otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I have a feeling for the NXT Women's Championship it'll probably either go Ember -> Kairi, although they would almost certainly have to turn Ember heel in that situation, as she would be destroyed by the live crowd otherwise. Kairi has a much higher ceiling as a babyface in NXT, and significantly more in ring charisma than Ember.

The other situation I can see happening is Ember -> Peyton -> Kairi. I can see them giving Peyton a token title reign (to appease her very vocal fanbase), although I don't think it would last longer than a month or two (drop it the Takeover immediately after she wins it), since her gimmick has a very short shelf life, and would probably fall apart if she was champ for too long. Also the idea of a chickenshit heel (with a lackey) in NXT bothers me, especially coming off of a Jinder reign on the main roster.

I mean they could also just give Ember a long reign, but if her mic/character work doesn't improve, she's toast. She's perfectly fine in the ring, but the moment she opens her mouth, she becomes a massive disappointment. I honestly think Ember could just be a paper/transitional champ as well.

As for Kairi, she was pretty sloppy in that multi woman match, but to be fair, STARDOM doesn't run those too often, and NXT multi woman matches are always trainwrecks (in a bad way). I'd give her time to establish herself.

As for the NXT Championship, it'll probably go from Almas to Black or Cole next. Black is more than ready for the title, and Cole is...well he's their shiny new toy still. The other members of TUE will probably win the tag titles before too long.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 22, 2017

• Locked thread