Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the idealized form of a video game is a slot machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

aren't typical "AAA" games running marketing budgets that are at least as big as the development budgets these days

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

What if I can hack the billboards to draw mustaches on the models or silly faces on a Domino's Pizza?

ah, so you enjoy Engaging With Brands

Harrow posted:

Oh who am I kidding, somehow that would be Bad For The Brand so it kills the whole idea probably.

granpa please

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sounds like jeff is a dumb rear end in a top hat

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Sometimes I swear that’s whats going on with my overwatch queues

would not surprise me for a second.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Ignoring that last paragraph, that's what matchmaking systems are supposed to do. :confuoot:

no, it's supposed to set up fair matches. in the long run, fair matches should arrive at a fair win rate, and in the short run it's a crapshoot since all participants have a real shot at winning.

what's described is setting up unfair matches to counter - or create - streaks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Laserface posted:

how is that even going to work? if your ELO/win ratio/KD/whatever is collecting what is effectively useless data because you've skewed the odds, how will it even know your actual skill level so as to match you against lovely players to keep you playing?

Elo handles uneven matches. adjusting the rating change based on the expected win rate of the match is built into the formula. picking players to create a likely outcome doesn't make the data of the outcome useless.

except maybe if you set it to create extremely lopsided games, but, well, just don't do that. i suspect that it wouldn't be good for optimal manipulation to be too blatant anyway.

Prav fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 9, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

What exactly is Ubisoft planning to do here, I'm confused. Replace all boxed game releases with an online streaming service that people pay for to access their products?

they're gonna start bilking whales instead of selling a buy-it-once mass market product

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

every video i've suffered through he's been wrong about everything to do with game design.

that's how you can tell he's a real designer

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It isn't like most older kids or adults have been given the proper tools for things like noticing early signs of addiction, being like "it's hosed up if someone 17 years old ruins their life, but 18 is fine" is stupid. Entire industries exist specifically to figure out how to exploit things like the fatigue you have after coming home from 10 hours at your lovely job, that's not any more moral than doing it to kids, and that's basically what lootboxes are.

just so i'm reading this right, you're taking an explicitly pro-child-gambling position here?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

streamer begging is a blight on this fair world that preys on children and socially deficient adults, but it's also mostly a separate phenomena.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Oh, you want the new Hanzo skin? Okay, $2.50, done.

sadly you're gonna have to move that decimal mark at least one step to the right

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

good gameplay takes time. good graphical assets can be churned out in parallel if you just hire enough people

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Extra Credits should rename themselves Apologia For Shareholders because that's functionally what these videos are

(Please pay us) Extra Credits

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

chumbler posted:

Valve's probably banking on skimming off the top from secondary market card sales. Unless they're not allowing that, but there's no way they would not do it.

they know that business is a mug's game, the real money is in taxation

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Virtually nobody developing your video games is in it for the money. Video game pay sucks.

100% of the people who call the shots are in it for the money

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

frankly i'm just hearing a guy bitching that he's not stumbling into easy money any longer

like yeah steam sucks but that's not what's got his goat

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in wf you're basically paying to not play the game, which i can certainly understand the allure of but i found a cheaper way to not do that

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't trust ubisoft one bit

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

oh man the sales rate is gonna crash when players see that their next box is 100% guaranteed garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Sefal posted:

"But the one after that might have something good"

yeah it's not gonna fix everyone, but it's certainly gonna leave a mark

• Locked thread