Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Melody, the Skinner

The world is dying.

Look around us. People are struggling everyday to just... survive. Food is scarce, water is even scarcer. The lands are harsh, and death is constant. We blame the Destroyers, but is it really their fault? Are they really the reason why the world is like this now, or was it all inevitable? Even if they hadn't of come, would something else have come in their place instead? Are we all destined to live in a doomed world?

I do not know, but there is one thing I do know; Even in this doomed, decaying world, there is still beauty in it. Death is inevitable. We are all going to die. It doesn't matter it's from the Destroyers, or from us, or from the world around us, death is coming for us all, and yet... we still push back against it. We could've resigned ourselves to our fates, but we don't. We fight back, against this world that wants us dead, and do whatever we can to live. Maybe it's all for nothing. Maybe it doesn't matter how much we fight back against this cold, uncaring world. Maybe it's all a pointless struggle... but I think there is something beautiful about the way we all struggle to survive.

When I was young, my grandmother taught me how to sing. She would sing her songs to the people of our village, and calm their hearts. She passed her gift onto me, and I use what my grandmother has taught me to go from place to place, singing to as many people as I can, to help ease their struggles, to make them realize that there is still beauty in this world, as well as search for somebody who was precious to me.

Death is coming for us all, but death does not have to be the end.

quote:

Tell me how close you’ve gotten to a Destroyer

A Destroyer came and brought destruction to everything around me, and another Destroyer came... and saved my life.

I know how strange that sounds, but it's the truth. There used to be a village, not far from here, but that place is gone now. It's nothing but dust and rubble now, and the only things living there now are the souls of the dead. It was a small village, with about 20 people, and they were not prepared when the Destroyer came. It came, like a raging storm, and took the lives of everybody in the village. Well, almost everybody. My sister, Red, and I were the only survivors. Our grandmother sacrificed her life so that we could live, and we were left without a home anymore. Our village, and all the people we loved, were taken from us, and all we had now was each other.

We wondered the wastes for days, weeks, searching for a new home... and that's when we ran into them. Slavers. They took me and my sister, made us into slaves, and separated us. I still remember how hopeless I felt when they took me away from her. I was taken away from my only family, and forced to live my life as someone's slave. I felt so... helpless, so lost.

I ended up angering one of the slavers by accident, and they were ready to make an example out of me. They were going to end my life, and I remember how ready I felt for it. I was ready to embrace death... but I also wished I could see my sister, one last time, and before the slaver could deliver the finishing blow... it came. Another Destroyer. It destroyed the slave caravans, and killed all the slavers... but it left all the slaves alone, and after it was done with it's rampage, it just... left. Was it... showing mercy to us? Did it have it's fill of destruction? Or did it... just not notice us? We don't know, and I don't think we'll ever know why it did what it did, but with all the slavers dead, we... were all free now, and even after everything we've all been through, even after all the death we've witnessed, we still ended up helping each other out, and that was when I saw it; the beauty of people trying to survive. Trying to live, and there was something... beautiful about it.

I wanted to share that same beauty to the rest of the world, so I've decided to travel through these harsh lands, and to use my gift of song to help as many people realize that death is not the end. We're all going to die, and the world is going to die, and we must accept that. There is beauty in death, as there is beauty in life, and we should stop fearing it.

I hope to find my sister one day. I don't know if she's still alive or dead, but that won't stop me from finding her. She's still my family, and I want to share with her everything I've learned. I want to make her see the same, wonderful beauty that I see.

quote:

Tell me about the person/place/thing that makes you feel safe

I still go back to the ruins of my old village every now and then. You would think going back would bring back nothing but painful memories, but it doesn't. When I'm there, I feel the spirits of the people who used to live there watching over me, and it... calms me, and I sing to them, to the departed souls, so that I may calm their hearts, even in the after life.

The Skinner posted:

Name: Melody
Look: Woman, showy wear, striking face, arresting eyes, expressive hands, slim body

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard +1
Hot +2
Sharp +1
Weird -2

Moves:
Artful & gracious: when you perform your chosen art—any act of expression or culture—or when you put its product before an audience, roll+hot. On a 10+, spend 3. On a 7–9, spend 1. Spend 1 to name an NPC member of your audience and choose one:
• This person must meet me.
• This person must have my services.
• This person loves me.
• This person must give me a gift.
• This person admires my patron.
On a miss, you gain no benefit, but suffer no harm or lost opportunity. You simply perform very well.

Hypnotic: when you have time and solitude with someone, they become fixated upon you. Roll+hot. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. They can spend your hold, 1 for 1, by:
• Giving you something you want.
• Acting as your eyes and ears.
• Fighting to protect you.
• Doing something you tell them to.
For NPCs, while you have hold over them they can’t act against you. For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold, 1 for 1:
•They distract themselves with the thought of you. They’re acting under fire.
• They inspire themselves with the thought of you. They take +1 right now.
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms.

Gear:
- Hidden knives (2-harm hand infinite)
- Antique coins (worn valuable). Drilled with holes for jewelry.
- Skin & hair kit (applied valuable). Soaps, ochres, paints, creams, salves. Using it lets you take +1 hot forward

Hx:
• Which one of you is my friend?
For that character, write Hx+2.

-Which one of you is my lover?
For that character, write Hx+1.

-Which one of you is in love with me?
For that character, write Hx-1.

Skinner Special:
If you and another character have sex, choose one:
• You take +1 forward and so do they.
• You take +1 forward; they take -1.
• They must give you a gift worth at least 1-barter.
• You can hypnotize them as though you’d rolled a 10+, even if you haven’t chosen to get the move.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The End of Questions?

Wei the Angel
How did you aquire your particular skillz? Whose was the last life you saved?

Melody the Skinner
Who wanted to sell you a lead on Red? What's the weirdest place you've gigged at?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
On Destroyers
So now that apps have flesh out the bones of the Destroyers, I thought I’d consolidate it into one handy post.

There are two general types of Destroyers, lesser and greater (not in-character terms, just for ease of reference). Even lesser Destroyers dwarf humans, the smallest clocking in at T. rex size. Whether these are infant Destroyers, runts, or just smaller species is unknown. They still have thick hides/armor plates/rending claws, but their size means that human-sized weapons have a greater effect on them (basically, they function as vehicles for damage purposes). However, its more likely to find more than one lesser in the same general area. If someone has claimed to have killed a Destroyer, and they aren’t lying assholes, its most likely one of these smaller ones.

Greater Destroyers are your kaiju-sized beasts of legend. Most are survivors of the Fall, and the only reason folks know that they are mortal are the handful of corpses that have been found. These Destroyers can effortlessly kill humans, and mangle vehicles easily (they use the buildings harm rules). The saving grace to these Destroyers is they stick to patrolling their territories for the most part. They can be goaded into leaving these territories though, and some just seem to decide to wander off randomly.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

PoultryGeist posted:

Melody the Skinner
Who wanted to sell you a lead on Red?

You've heard of Mother Rust, right? She leads a group who call themselves the The Iron Choir, a group who worship something they call The Metal. I came across Mother Rust and her followers when I was looking for leads on Red, and she told me she'd tell me what she knew about my sister, but on one condition; I would perform for them on the night of the Rust Moon, their most holiest of nights, a few days from now, and only after I've performed for them will she tell me what she knows.

I've been told I shouldn't trust them, but it's the only lead I have on my sister so far, and I'm willing to take the risk.

quote:

What's the weirdest place you've gigged at?

Ah, you're talking about that place, right? God's Rest? Yes, it is a strange place, isn't it? There's almost nothing else like it. A town, built from the bones of a massive, long-dead Destroyer. They call it the Nameless God, and nobody knows what killed such a massive thing in the first place, but that hasn't stopped them from using it's remains to form a place for people to live around it. Every building there has been constructed from the Nameless God's bones, and they use it's gigantic skull as an entrance to the town.

It was such a strange, and bizarre place, and yet... it is also beautiful, in a way. We used the remains of one of the beings that was responsible for bringing death and destruction to our world, and made it into a place where we can live, and prosper. It's a strange, weird, bizarre, beautiful thing.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
:siren: Recruitment is now closed :siren:

Anyone that got the base of their app in before now is fine, just get me your answers sometime today. Picks will come late tonight/tomorrow, I have a full docket today and it'll take me a bit to work through the 13 apps y'all have given me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoultryGeist posted:

:siren: Recruitment is now closed :siren:

Anyone that got the base of their app in before now is fine, just get me your answers sometime today. Picks will come late tonight/tomorrow, I have a full docket today and it'll take me a bit to work through the 13 apps y'all have given me.

:f5:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

PoultryGeist posted:

Wei the Angel
How did you aquire your particular skillz? Whose was the last life you saved?

A lot of trial, even more error. Some on myself, some on others. In a world like this, it's helpful to know how many mils of morphine it takes to dull the senses, and how many it takes to outright forget where you are. As for stitchin' folks up, there's not too much difference between patching up a leather jacket, and patching up a person. As long as you can block out their screams and work steady, it's drat near the same.

A few weeks back, I was squatting with some folks who had enough food to share - assuming everybody brought something useful to the table, obviously. But... some people are more interested in filling their bellies full to bursting than helping out the group. This small guy, Harris, got caught burying sacks of food by a guy named Hammer. Real wild fella from over the hills, leads a pack of salvagers. poo poo, I could have sworn Harris' number was up, but I didn't know about the heat he carried. Nobody did. Next thing anybody knew, there was a loud crack, and drat near half of Hammer's face was gone. It took most of my supplies, and a few sleepless nights, but he lived. He'll never smile again - not that he did much before - but he's alive. Anyway, the food ran out and we all had to be on our way, and then a dust storm separated most of us. I wonder sometimes how Hammer's doing. Not out of concern, I just want to know how my work turned out.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 1, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
First of all, y’all are great big jerks by making me have to winnow through so many cool apps. I even started mentally outlining a second Destroyers game, but I’m afraid I would end up fumbling both. So in the end the victims are:

SKADI the Landfall Marine by Comrade Gorbash
Lombardi the Quarantine by Captain Foo
Corvi the Bone-picker by SHY NUDIST GRRL
Armstrong the News by Antivehicular
Melody the Skinner by Tardzilla
Zero the Gunlugger by Roland Jones

Get going on your Hx, but hold off on the Session-start moves until I upload the collated setting info (which should be by tomorrow night).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Zero, the Gunlugger

Two questions:

Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?

Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lombardi, the Quarantine

Which of you did I meet first after I emerged from Stasis?

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 2, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Melody, the Skinner

Which one of you is my friend?

Which one of you is my lover?

Which one of you is in love with me?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 2, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Armstrong, the News:

I only have one Hx question, for which I need an answer from everyone:

Can I count on you to tell me the truth?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 2, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Corvi, The Faceless

Which one of you once helped me do something terrible?

Which one of you was once kind and unafraid toward me?

Which one of you do I think is pretty?

Armstong: Corvi doesn't mince words, you can expect the truth from her.

Zero: Fought side by side. We cleared out the shepherds of some sheep like we were paid to by the wolves.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 3, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Rinpurt Valley

-The valley is on the edge of two Destroyers’ territories, Vishvarupa and Shahmaran, but aside from the events of Titan’s Fall they haven’t entered the valley in a child’s age.
-The entire valley is dotted with scattered clusters of concrete buildings. The largest/most intact have become the nucleus of several settlements, but the valley’s relative safety mean quite a few folks wander the open range.
-The Valley is ~10-12 miles long east-west

Woodhold
-100 acres of private forest, fenced in by wall remnants, shaded by woods and rusted spars
-Ruled by Dremmer and his Huntsmen
-Lots of meat animals, plant material
-Small hamlet in smaller outbuildings, with trade post

Tallboys
-Several tall buildings
-Cursed, haunted by hate-lights and hell-howls
-Guarded by the great Siren Gate
-Hidden entrance leads to Stasis

The Bonefield
-flat plain, several low mesas
-mostly covered in bones. Remnants of Titan’s Fall, as well as the corpse of E’kidnaw

The Murk
-Sunken earth, several springs, making a swampy morass
-tides push salt water back and forth through the channels
-lots of herbs and scrap/salvage

Stockards
-Market town that overlooks entrance to valley
-Ruled by Dragon
-lively black market

The Works
-Several low buildings in and around a maze of pipes
-Home to Mother Rust and the Iron Choir
-Supplies lux fuel/burnables

Folly
-In the mountains south of Rinpurt
-Slavers
-Used to prey on surrounding area, current leadership vacuum

The Last Fleet

-wreakage of over a dozen warships
-overgrown with vegetation
-fought over by dozens of scrap-squads

Razorback’s Corpse
-A few days southeast of Rinpurt
-Most of what’s left of the Destroyer Razorback
-Home of a group of cannibals

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 2, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Mine are easy:

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, write Hx-2 for everyone. You have only limited intelligence about any of them.

On the others’ turns, answer their questions as you like. Likely you’ll answer none of them.

At the end, choose one of the other characters by whim (since they all have the same Hx on your sheet). Ask that player which of your stats is most interesting, and highlight it. The MC will have you highlight a second stat too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lombardi

Armstrong: You cannot count on the truth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Antivehicular posted:

Armstrong, the News:

I only have one Hx question, for which I need an answer from everyone:

I don't need to lie.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Corvi, The Faceless

Which one of you once helped me do something terrible?

Claiming this one, can work out the specifics with you.

Tardzilla posted:

Melody, the Skinner

Which one of you is my friend?

Also took this.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 3, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Armstrong: Skadi is pretty artless, so you know she's holding stuff back. They may be lies of omission, but they're still lies.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Melody, the Skinner

Antivehicular posted:

Armstrong, the News:

You can always count on me to be honest with you~

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Corvi, The Faceless

Which one of you do I think is pretty?

I'll take this if nobody else wants it!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Zero, the Gunlugger

Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?
Gonna grab this one.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Corvi, The Faceless
Which one of you was once kind and unafraid toward me?

I'd like this one. The Bunker gets some weird people passing through, and if you brought food or jingle, you can rest a while, same as anyone else. Not my place to judge how people get by.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tardzilla posted:

Melody, the Skinner
Which one of you is in love with me?

Corvi is fascinated by the woman who deals in death and strength but not in ways that she understands

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lombardi

It appears I have made contact with none of you at this time.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So If I have the spreadsheet right, Highlights are as follows:

Spec. Lombardi and SKADI: Everyone is equally unknown to you, so pick someone
Armstrong: Choose Spec. Lombardi or SKADI
Melody: Zero highlights you
Zero: Corvi highlights you
Corvi: Zero highlights you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lombardi
Zero, choose.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Hard for Zero

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Melody: Hot

Corvi: Hard

Lombardi: Cool

Just woke up and not sure what creative things to send people on, so let's see them do what they're good at to start out with.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Armstrong can do SKADI’s highlight.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lombardi, hit me.

SKADI, let's see you be Sharp.

And to start the session:

Breaking Now for Session 1: 2d6+1 4

Awesome, good start! Anyway, where's Mother Rust and what's she up to?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 4, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Armstrong, what's this Weird thing everyone's talking about?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Re: Breaking News

Mother Rust is cloistered deep in the Works, preparing for the Rust Moon and the Rokoff that will determine leadership of the Iron Choir for the next tour. Word is, Mother Rust's obtained Melody to gig as her Instrumentum Electorus

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 4, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Armstrong - You’re out on the edge here. Stay Sharp
Spec. Lombardi - The world has moved on, and a little Hot goes a long way.
Melody - Good looks only go so far, gotta be Sharp too.
Zero - In your line of work, ya gotta keep a Cool head about you.
SKADI - Admit it, you’re a Hot-blooded protagonist.
Corvi - You Wierd girl. Own it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lombardi
SidekickBOT - Today at 5:44 PM
@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+0 Lombardi's Past, Pre-Session 1 = (1+1)+0 = 2

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Spec. Lombardi: Please concentrate, this is important: who did you lose?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lombardi

Just a figment, like a dream I can't quite recall. It's coming back to me, and with it, a realization of what was left behind. A name, just a name, at first. LaPointe. Then a face? No, obscured by a tactical helmet. If I can only remember...then I'll get to see that face one more time. LaPointe is gone. Fuckin'. He's really gone, isn't he. And I can't even remember his first name or his god. damned. face.

Son of a bitch.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Gamethread is up!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

so rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Wasn't totally happy with how the headers came out, so here's another go.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 1, 2018

• Locked thread