Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hello, friends. Welcome to year four of the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot, where we vote for a hall that isn't run by a bunch of old people whining about how things aren't as good as it was back in their day (when the players took different drugs to give themselves an advantage).

Before we get things kicked off, here's a refresher on our inductees from last year:

Vladimir Guerrero
Manny Ramirez
Ivan Rodriguez
Gary Sheffield

And they join the previous two classes:
Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mike Piazza
John Smoltz
Larry Walker

That's a pretty good job so far, everyone.

So what is the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot? Well, every year the BWAA votes on the MLB Hall of Fame, and every year we watch as they inevitably gently caress it up. With all the talk, I'd like to see who we would put into the hall. I'm going to keep track of this through multiple years (so far so good!), so when we induct players and the writers don't, they won't appear on the next ballot (and vice versa). I also changed the rules a bit, because the BBWA is dumb.

A player must be on at least 75% of ballots cast to qualify for the SAS MLB Hall of Fame
There is no limitation on players you can vote for. You want to vote for 12 guys? Go for it. Only three are deserving? Then only vote for them.
Because of this, the bar for entry has been raised, and players will fall off the ballot if they fail to reach a certain percentage, based on how many years they've been on the ballot.
- First year: 25%
- Second year: 50%
- Third year: 75% - three strikes and you're out

Last year we had quite the bloodbath, as twenty two players fell off the ballot. We also saw Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson fail to get into the hall on a special "one and done" opportunity vote. There will be another special exemption on this year's ballot, which I will detail after I bring out the list of nominees:

Chris Carpenter
Johnny Damon
Jim Edmonds
Roy Halladay
Livan Hernandez
Trevor Hoffman
Orlando Hudson
Aubrey Huff
Jason Isringhausen
Andruw Jones
Chipper Jones
Carlos Lee
Brad Lidge
Hideki Matsui
Kevin Millwood
Jamie Moyer
Jorge Posada
Scott Rolen
Johan Santana
Jim Thome
Omar Vizquel
Kerry Wood
Carlos Zambrano

That's 23 of baseball's best. Now you may notice that Roy Halladay is on there a year early. To that I say "gently caress that, he gets an exemption." Because this is my hall and I make the rules.

Speaking of rules, there isn't really one for why you vote for people. Or don't vote for them. In fact, please feel free to debate with others in here about why your favorite player should be in the hall and why a rival player shouldn't be. That's what makes this fun. Just remember that your ballot will be public for everyone to shame you once the voting is finished. Voting will be open until 11:59PM on December 25th (or whenever I'm around/awake to close the form after that). I'll post the results on January 1st.

Here is the ballot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is my yearly reminder to everyone that Jim Edmonds was really loving good, to the tune of a .903 career OPS and 132 career OPS+, so even if he was only an average defender, those are ridiculous numbers to get from a center fielder.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

IcePhoenix posted:

This is my yearly reminder to everyone that Jim Edmonds was really loving good, to the tune of a .903 career OPS and 132 career OPS+, so even if he was only an average defender, those are ridiculous numbers to get from a center fielder.

you make a compelling argument. On the other hand, gently caress the cardinals

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Submitted. Doc and Johan Santana were the two best pitchers of the mid 2000s and bridge the gap between the end of Pedro's prime and the beginning of Kershaw's. I think Billy Wagner deserves the Hall of Fame more than Trevor Hoffman and I think y'all hosed up by not getting him in but I gave a vote to Hoffman anyways.

Chipper and Thome are no brainers, and I think Rolen deserves to be in the hall as well. I gave Edmonds a vote and at the last minute decided that if I'm giving a vote to Edmonds, Posada probably deserves one, too

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I voted for Jamie Moyer, because I'm an unrepentant Mariners fan and Moyer was a really good pitcher for them in the late 90s and early 2000s.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I only voted for nine because we’ve corrected most of the writers’ mistakes at this point and I was edging in on Hall Of Pretty Good territory there.

It’s me, the voter who shouldn’t have a ballot.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Screwed up and submitted my ballot accidentally. Still got Thome, Edmonds, Chipper, and I think Santana and Halladay? Would have added Andruw Jones and Trevor Hoffman if I could have.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edmonds, Halladay, Hoffman, both Joneses, Rolen, Santana, Thome.

I seriously thought about voting for Omar. But I feel his hitting numbers just miss the mark. Posada's hitting numbers are also just not impressive enough.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I feel like we should vote for Moyer because this is SAS but I can't quite pull the trigger.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Reminder that we failed to get Trammell in the hall so we have no business pretending to be better than the real voters

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

Reminder that we failed to get Trammell in the hall so we have no business pretending to be better than the real voters

Harsh but fair.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017

IcePhoenix posted:

Jim Edmonds gets hosed by dWAR

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just waffled so many times on Trevor Hoffman

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I voted for a bunch of pitchers that don't deserve it statistically but were ballers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

HPJoker posted:

Jim Edmonds gets hosed by dWAR
he and Andruw Jones are like two sides of the same coin

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

I feel like we should vote for Moyer because this is SAS but I can't quite pull the trigger.

I voted for Moyer partly because my favorite Onion MLB articles are about him.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Halladay, Hoffman, Jones, Jones, Posada, Rolen, Santana, Thome, Vizquel.

I would have voted for Edmonds, but gently caress Jim Edmonds. Fight me.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 25, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Halladay, Hoffman, Jones, Jones, Thome

I wanted to go full Cubsposter and add Wood and Zambrano, but even I couldn't do that in good conscience while also leaving Edmonds and Rolen off.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Imasalmon posted:

Sorry, I don't fight the mentally disabled

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Imasalmon posted:

Halladay, Hoffman, Jones, Jones, Posada, Rolen, Santana, Thome, Vizquel.

I can tell that all the lifting and rock climbing is messing with my brain chemistry; I keep getting internet tough-guy reactions to bad opinions like this. Jim Edmonds belongs in the Hall and your posting has made me angry :argh:.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Halladay, Hoffman, Jones, Jones, Thome

I wanted to go full Cubsposter and add Wood and Zambrano, but even I couldn't do that in good conscience while also leaving Edmonds and Rolen off.

Edmonds and Rolen omitted? I am so mad at you right now. I've posted the career numbers of two infielders below out of spite, along with 162-game averages. One had 67.5 career, the other had 70 career WAR.

One's a Hall of Famer, the other is Rolen. :thunk:

E: As for my ballot, I'm on the edge with Santana. In the end I voted for him because I'm angry at other people for excluding my guys and I'm trying to not be spiteful. Edmonds, Halladay, Jones, Jones, Rolen, Santana, Thome.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imasalmon posted:

Same :hfive:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pancakes posted:

E: As for my ballot, I'm on the edge with Santana. In the end I voted for him because I'm angry at other people for excluding my guys and I'm trying to not be spiteful. Edmonds, Halladay, Jones, Jones, Rolen, Santana, Thome.

Santana's peak was so, so good, and had his shoulder not exploded I feel like he would have kept pace with Halladay til the end. A bunch of nice hardware and a pretty good narrative in getting the Mets their no-hitter. Literally the only thing he's missing is longevity in my book, and even then, his Minnesota years of dominance and a few years of Mets really-loving-goodness are enough for me.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

rickiep00h posted:

A bunch of nice hardware and a pretty good narrative in getting the Mets their no-hitter.

I think you mean their "no-hitter". Chalk went up on Beltran's "foul" down the third base line. :colbert:

We got beaten fair and square and while I'm happy the Mets got a no-hitter in the books, I still maintain that Beltran got a hit.

I'm going to have to fight all of SAS aren't I? :sigh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pancakes posted:

I think you mean their "no-hitter". Chalk went up on Beltran's "foul" down the third base line. :colbert:

If Liriano's junkball no-hitter counts, so does this. :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

If Liriano's junkball no-hitter counts, so does this. :v:

Liriano actually gave up zero hits though

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Liriano actually gave up zero hits though

QUIET YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There is a character clause for the HoF and no man of character would ever play for the Cardinals

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

There is a character clause for the HoF and no man of character would ever play for the Cardinals

Stan :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Born in 1920, from small town PA: probably a racist

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Willie Mays, on Stan, from "Tales from the Kansas City Royals Dugout" by Denny Matthews:

quote:

Oh Stan was a wonderful player. He played the game the right way. He was fun to play against. He could play the outfield and first base. We were at the All-Star game, but I can't remember if it was 1954 or '55... somewhere in the mid-1950's. There were just a handful of black players on the National League All-Star team. We didn't really mix and mingle that much with the other guys. We just stayed to ourselves. I remember we were in the clubhouse playing card,s playing poker. None of the other players had come over and said anything to us a all. Even at that time, races didn't mix and mingle that much. But we looked up from our poker game and here came Stan. He pulled up a chair, sat down by us and started to play poker with us. Stan didn't know how to play poker! But he made us feel more comfortable and made us feel as if we were part of the National League All-Star team. I never forgot that. We never forgot that.

:thunk:

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Even I wouldn't hate on Stan "The Man" Musial.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pancakes posted:

We got beaten fair and square and while I'm happy the Mets got a no-hitter in the books, I still maintain that Beltran got a hit.

I'm going to have to fight all of SAS aren't I? :sigh:

I agree that should be a one hitter. The start before that however should be a no hitter since the one hit given up by Santana was clearly a error by Wright.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

Musial openly campaigned for integration

He really was baseball's perfect knight

quote:

Unlike many white major league players of his era, Musial had no problems with integration in baseball. According to biographer George Vescey, Musial once joined his high school basketball teammates in threatening to forfeit an important tournament because a hotel restaurant wouldn’t seat their African-American teammate Buddy Griffey – the father of future major leaguer Ken Griffey – in the main dining room

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 27, 2017

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hating the Cardinals is perfectly fine but Stan is special. He really was the man.

Waddya say waddya say

I used to read lots of historical baseball nonfiction when I was going through some rough patches, and Musial just as a person was inspiring. I hope I can treat people the way he did someday, and find the same joys in life that he could.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 27, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was joking about Musial

But he still has the big Cardinals albatross around his neck

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Bump to hopefully reignite debate about Edmonds and Rolen. JAWS for the respective positions:

Rolen should clearly be in. Edmonds is a borderline case if you're a small Hall voter but if you like a big Hall he belongs in. Mike Trout, though, is already gaudy after only 7 years in the League.

Also, if you vote Edmonds in now you are honor-bound to vote Beltran in when he comes up. Then again, anyone who votes against Carlos Beltran is an enemy of the people and should be dealt with accordingly.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Braves were about the only baseball I could watch on tv in the 90s. Braves games came on the Superstation right when I got home from high school. I can still tell you most of the players from those teams. Anyone but me remember Jeff Blauser? Rafael Belliard? And then they brought up this kid from the Caribbean or something to play CF and oh my god, he caught everything, and did it with style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1G1fUgcOKs

Teenage me thought Andruw Jones was the greatest. Here's the thing though. I never saw Willie Mays play (except for that one catch we've all seen a thousand times). I never saw Clemente, or Griffey before he broke down, or even Bonds before he swelled up. For a lot of old school players there's not much video of them playing the field. It's only recently that we have Statcast and high def highlights of every player and so on.

So when defensive stats say Andruw Jones was nearly twice as valuable in the field as any other outfielder ever, how seriously should we take that? I have no fuckin clue. I think Andruw is a Hall of Famer, but i don't trust the defensive metrics that make his case :shrug: So, in conclusion,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXMnbSaMjC4

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Braves were about the only baseball I could watch on tv in the 90s. Braves games came on the Superstation right when I got home from high school. I can still tell you most of the players from those teams. Anyone but me remember Jeff Blauser? Rafael Belliard? And then they brought up this kid from the Caribbean or something to play CF and oh my god, he caught everything, and did it with style

Rafael Belliard was one of my dad's favorite players. I was a Terry Pendelton fan.

But Andruw Jones dropped our jaws on a seemingly daily basis. Dad used to say "That's an old players mind in a young kid's body. That boy is going to be special!"

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Pancakes posted:

Bump to hopefully reignite debate about Edmonds and Rolen.

I voted for both of them.

This was a very hard thing to do and I want you to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It makes me sad that Lofton's not in the HOF but I understand why

• Locked thread