Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

sector_corrector posted:

i got lucky with geodes this time around and got six iridium ore from them around mid-summer, so i'll be taking an iridium bar to the fair

I dont think ores or bars are worth any points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Fishing doesn't really give a lot of money per day unless it's raining and I can just do it for the entire day but it's cool scraping by. I never bothered buying ore in my first playthrough because I was swimming in it constantly but now it's the way I progress. I can't wait to get a house though, I want that kitchen. Is the fridge still bugged on switch

fishing is decent money right when your starting out from what I can tell. at least compared to the foraging/mining you could be doing otherwise. also on my third day i lost a fish after getting a hit within 2 seconds because it was just going apeshit flying all over the place and there was about a zero percent chance i was going to catch it.. i'm sure theres like legendary fish in this game and i feel like that was one of them. if only i had been more prepared..

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the perks help fishing a lot, if i spend a day fishing its an easy 4+ thousand gold and i've only got one of the perks. it never catches up to farming probably but thats the point

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rediscover posted:

fishing is decent money right when your starting out from what I can tell. at least compared to the foraging/mining you could be doing otherwise. also on my third day i lost a fish after getting a hit within 2 seconds because it was just going apeshit flying all over the place and there was about a zero percent chance i was going to catch it.. i'm sure theres like legendary fish in this game and i feel like that was one of them. if only i had been more prepared..

I think legendaries have a different icon but yeah they're basically impossible to catch until you're leveled up.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Fungah! posted:

the perks help fishing a lot, if i spend a day fishing its an easy 4+ thousand gold and i've only got one of the perks. it never catches up to farming probably but thats the point

idc about this kind of spoilers, whats the fishing level 4 or 5 bonus? the little bar indicating the level is a bigger rectangle than the other ones, seemingly indicating a special perk

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rediscover posted:

idc about this kind of spoilers, whats the fishing level 4 or 5 bonus? the little bar indicating the level is a bigger rectangle than the other ones, seemingly indicating a special perk

you get a choice of two. one gives +25% money from all fish and the other boosts crab pots somehow. i dont remember what the other ones are when you get to 10 but i'm pretty sure one boosts the money bonus from fish to +50%

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Fungah! posted:

you get a choice of two. one gives +25% money from all fish and the other boosts crab pots somehow. i dont remember what the other ones are when you get to 10 but i'm pretty sure one boosts the money bonus from fish to +50%

yesterday i would have told you that that would be a really tough choice bc i wanted to have lots of crab pots in my rivers, but 1. they're expensive for where i'm at in the game and 2. they seem to kind of totally sick rear end and the two i have so far ran me 3k and probably have only made me 300 or so gold. so unless the pot bonus is rly good i'm going with the former. cheers

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Some of the regular fish are harder than some of the legendary fish

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Go with the perk that gives you better fish sell price bc it lets you take the best level 10 one, more treasure chance

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I think its a flaw that the game doesnt let you see the level 10 perks. All other games with permanent skill trees let you see the whole thing. At least on PC its very easy to change it in your save file

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Ristolaz posted:

Go with the perk that gives you better fish sell price bc it lets you take the best level 10 one, more treasure chance

successfully balancing the fish catching and treasure chest catching bars; goomba stomp

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Town loved the delicious Bass I brought to the luau.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i hope i can get penny to like me enough to dance w/ me at the festival but i doubt it since she's only at one heart and i only have like 9 days left.. maybe next year

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dont know why no one likes abigail, i'm romancing her this run and she seems cool. i mean ok she hates her dad but her dad sucks, otherwise she seems pretty cool. leah ftw though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

dont know why no one likes abigail, i'm romancing her this run and she seems cool. i mean ok she hates her dad but her dad sucks, otherwise she seems pretty cool. leah ftw though

I was planning on marrying her in my next game because she seems pretty cool.

But then I found out that Emily is like a New Age hippy spiritualist who meditates until she has out of body experiences so I’m definitely going with her next time. gently caress you Clint.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

rediscover posted:

i hope i can get penny to like me enough to dance w/ me at the festival but i doubt it since she's only at one heart and i only have like 9 days left.. maybe next year

It's very nearly impossible to get someone to dance with you for he first flower dance. I think you need to give them two "loved" gifts almost every week from the start

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Ristolaz posted:

It's very nearly impossible to get someone to dance with you for he first flower dance. I think you need to give them two "loved" gifts almost every week from the start

oh okay cool. that's always stressed me out in my 5 or so previous save files (which never made it past year 1 :p) but i'm glad i don't even have to worry about it. on that topic i have conquered my min max optimization stress and now i just do whatever the hell i want when i play this and its 100x better. I love Stardew Valley

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Ristolaz posted:

I got Haley to dance with me. I gave her daffodils every single day up to it. I think I had 4 hearts with her

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

too bad Haley kinda sucks

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

too bad Haley kinda sucks
Her and Alex deserve each other.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Alex is the one guy I don't make an effort to friend

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Alex is the one guy I don't make an effort to friend

He has good character development

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I guess if Haley is redeemable so is Alex

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
greenhouse just in time for pretty much all of winter 1. oh mama.

edit: i hosed up some fishing goals though, so i don't think i can close out the community center in Y1 without some insane luck at the merchant.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can send you the fish I have thousands.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

greenhouse just in time for pretty much all of winter 1. oh mama.

edit: i hosed up some fishing goals though, so i don't think i can close out the community center in Y1 without some insane luck at the merchant.

ya I did that too.. I didn't catch the night fishing autumn only fish so I had to wait a whole year. finishing the community center before year 3 is still a great goal to strive towards

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

is there a harvest moon / story of seasons / rune factory game that can compare to stardew?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I can send you the fish I have thousands.

i just need a walleye and eel, please

it was raining in early fall and i was like "oh, there are fish i have to catch when it rains. eh, whatever, it will rain later in the month," and it never did.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

is there a harvest moon / story of seasons / rune factory game that can compare to stardew?

I think Stardew is better in a lot of ways but Rune Factory 4 on 3DS is really fun. It's more of a dungeon crawler than it is a farming game though. Also, just downloaded a patch on Switch! :woot:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I think Stardew is better in a lot of ways but Rune Factory 4 on 3DS is really fun. It's more of a dungeon crawler than it is a farming game though. Also, just downloaded a patch on Switch! :woot:

Oh hell yeah! Here's notes https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-switch-1-2-36-patch-notes/

Looks like they fixed everything that I had had issues with. I've had the audio crackling, vibration and bundle tool tips issues crop up repeatedly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh poo poo I've only played in handheld mode and I thought the game just didn't have vibration lol. Can't wait to fish today

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I started taking the joycons off just for the fishing rumble. The constant horse rumble is kind of annoying though

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the patch came out? this is great news!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does where I fish affect the stuff I find in treasure chests or no. I'm almost level 10 and gonna work on making a bunch of treasure hunting bobs or whatever

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the feeling in winter when all of your watering is automated, you don't have any trees to cut down, and you finish your animal chores by 10AM

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cool winter tip: If you've got the maxed out hoe, or even if you don't, go down to the beach and start hoeing out huge chunks of sand, you'll get a fuckton of yams and roots for some odd reason, and they sell for a decent amount.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

You only have to use the hoe to dig up tiles with the worms sticking out of the ground, right? Or can you get stuff from other tiles too?

I like to go down to the beach or the mountain lake and fish all day in winter.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In the winter time, all hoeable tiles have a random chance of netting yams or roots, even if the little wormy guys aren't there.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
idk how much these sell for but 70 things for a few minutes digging around the beach seems like a pretty decent use of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

that's a great tip, thanks

sorry about your house Elliot

• Locked thread