Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I'm away from my Slim PS3 and I can't remember if it's a 2XXX or a 3XXX and it's left me completely distraught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

log into your credit card or amazon or wherever you bought it to see if you can determine the date you bought it

we can work from there

It's a 3001... oh well. I already have most of the PS3 games I want to play

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am sad to be the bearer of this bad news but a mere week after it did not matter what firmware you were on, it began to matter what firmware you were on when Sony released firmware 4.82 for the Playstation 3™ home video game console.

Sony had not released a new firmware in over a year, with many speculating that 4.81 would be the last. But less than 176 hours after the hack was released, Sony unceremoniously released 4.82 to close out the loophole where it didn't matter what firmware you were on.

The good news however is that almost nobody is going to be on firmware 4.82. I can pretty confidently say that if you buy a Playstation 3 on eBay, it will most likely not matter what firmware it's on.

I think you can still downgrade from 4.82. The link you posted in the OP says you can.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Heads up: now all PS3s, including Super Slims, have been hacked, no matter what firmware you are on

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

all the games are brown and there's none to play (and there's none to play)