Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Then you remember. You have a message to send.

Something everyone must know.

You have the power. You have the means.

Let it be known.

Crazycryodude posted:

Founding a new party

Name: Sirtan Revolutionary Liberation Front

Color: Rainbow

Platform: A splinter faction of former CLF officers who attempt to present a slightly more politically acceptable face than the Direct Action List. While still fully committed to the DAL and CLF's ideals, they are concerned that the DAL/CLF is too heavily focused on the short-term work of putting reactionaries in the ground than building the foundation for long-term governance. Not that putting reactionaries up against the wall is a bad thing, of course, just that it shouldn't be the new government's only focus.

Their platform heavily emphasizes:
- Immediate wealth redistribution and collectivization of the means of production
- "Nothing other than justice, prompt, severe, and inflexible" for members and enablers of the fallen regime
- Crackdown on organized crime and corruption
- Democratic rule based on a direct democracy built of local councils/communes, with a representative system on higher (regional/planetary) levels
- Long-term, an ambitious plan to introduce large-scale industrial automation and promote research into artificial intelligence/further automation technologies

Leader: Crazycryodude

List: None yet

Type: Ideological

Hell yeah sign me up comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Nov 29, 2017 around 16:26

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Besides, how else are we to spread the glorious revolution across the galaxy? Solidarity Forever.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

The following is a video going viral of Comrade Bookchin speaking to students in response to the statement from Janstin of the FSP:

Well, it is quite amusing to hear some of these statements, as they clearly don't understand what we are trying to achieve. We certainly are trying to create new structures to replace the current institutions, but not to merely place the SLRF as the leader of them. Greene, as vile as he was, was merely a symptom of the larger issue we have and had in place. It was the centralized structure of the government, the State as it were, that allowed Greene's regime to occur in the first place. So the FSP answer is to use the same framework that enabled the Greene regime simply because the next leaders are democratically elected? I might remind Janstin that Vallstein was originally elected democratically - and we all know how that turned out!

Put simply, the State is a professional apparatus that sets itself apart from the people and apart from the institutions that the people themselves create. It's a monopoly on violence that manages and institutionalizes social activities. The people are perfectly capable of managing themselves and creating their own institutions.

The SLRF is a tool to support efforts to work from latent or incipient democratic possibilities toward a radically new configuration of society itself— a communal society oriented toward meeting human needs, responding to ecological imperatives, and developing a new ethics based on sharing and cooperation. That it involves a consistently independent form of politics is a truism.

From the beginning, it presupposes a genuinely democratic desire by people to arrest the growing powers of the nation-state and reclaim them for their community and region. Of course, decentralization can lead to local parochialism as easily as it can lead to ecological, humanist communities. But when have basic social changes ever been without risk?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin

Comrades, allow me to introduce the The Sirtan Investment of Schools, Trade, Education Reform Act, aka the SISTER Act:

SISTER ACT posted:

WHEREAS, the Sirtan people have languished with minimal skills and knowledge for too long, and

WHEREAS, they have also suffered from a lack of civic engagement necessary in a free and open democracy, and

WHEREAS, the Sirtan government commits to radical improvements on all levels of the present education system, therefore

BE IT ENACTED BY THE FIRST PARLIAMENT OF REVOLUTIONARY SIRTA:

Section 1. That the government open free trade schools, known as Civic Education Centers (CEC), available to all citizens, by the end of this year.
(a) Priority in construction of CECs will be ordered based on the need of such trade skills by locality, as determined by the Ministry of Education in consultation with the local communities.

Section 2. That the government will ensure that all active schools, colleges and universities are tuition free within five years.

Section 3. That all citizens are offered classes in civic engagement, including but not limited to: direct democracy, participatory budgeting, community development and organizing, worker's cooperatives and social ecology.
(a)These classes will be taught through grade schools as mandatory civics courses alongside other grade school curriculum.
(b)These classes will be available to be taken voluntarily at colleges, universities and civic education centers.

Section 4. This act shall take effect immediately.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin

Comrades, allow me to introduce the The PEOPLES ASSEMBLY Act:

quote:

PEOPLES ASSEMBLY ACT posted:
WHEREAS, the Sirtan people have suffered under a totalitarian dictatorship and corruption in local and national government, and

WHEREAS, they have risen in revolution to assert themselves as citizens living under a free and open democracy and a municipal economy that is confederal, interdependent, and rational by ecological, not only technological, standards, and

WHEREAS, the Sirtan government commits to radical improvements to it's citizens self-governence, therefore

BE IT ENACTED BY THE FIRST PARLIAMENT OF REVOLUTIONARY SIRTA:

Section 1. That the local municipal and rural governing bodies of Sirta will now be governed by direct Assemblies of the People of Sirta, broken out by municipal or rural area.
(a) All political, economic and social issues not under Parliament's purview will be decided upon by voting within these People's Assemblies.
(b) The People's Assemblies otherwise will self-determine all other aspects of the meeting, but are ultimately answerable to Parliament. This includes the ability to levy tax on the citizens in the Assemblies' governance.

Section 2. The People's Assemblies will be able to elect or appoint various commissions to help adminstrate the locality.
(a) Appointments or Elected officials may be necessary to ensure subject matter experts are available to whatever commissions or committees each Assembly creates.
(b) Any appointed or elected officials will be subject to recall by the People's Assembly should the Assembly find no confidence in the individual or group.
(c) The People's Assemblies reserve the right to assign legislative duties directly to elected officials in order to adhere to a more regular representative democracy, although the Assembly is still answerable to Parliament. The Assembly in this instance reserves the right to recall these duties instantaneously.

Section 3. The People's Assemblies are allowed to confederate with each other into the Sirtan Municipal Confederation (SMC) to help share and manage resources, or to resolve disputes between localities.
(a) The SMC is limited to the described powers, and are answerable to Parliament.
(b) The SMC will be made up of delegates elected by the respective People's Assembly for each municipality and rural region. Said delegates are subject to recall by their respective Assembly.
(c) The limitation of powers to Regional Councils and it's organization thereof may be revisited five years after passage of the act.

Section 4. This act shall take effect within two years of it's passage.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin

I am disheartened to see outright falsehoods come about for my bills, so Rutherford Vandberbush as I will be retorting to some of your inaccurate statements:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Oppose. Section 1 of the SISTER Act I am skeptical of the utility of, but am willing to see the experiment played out. Section 2 I support wholeheartedly. Section 3, however, seems like a gross overreach by the SRLF. The plurality that they have won in this first election should not be construed as a mandate to make their own ideology mandatory education in our school systems, and until that section is stripped or drastically reworked, I cannot possibly support this bill.

I am saddened to see this kind of a response AFTER we have moved into a drafting phase. I do not question your character on this matter, but I do question the timing on the request to change the language of the bill. For section one, I would refer to our colleagues in the FDG, who requested that to be included into our education reform bill. We at the SLRF wholeheartedly agree that trade skills are necessary especially in the aftermath of our revolution. As for Section 3, I was more than willing to have additional classes included, as a well rounded civic education is essential to every Sirtan, but not one member here spoke up before the time to include additional classes into the act had passed. We can work to address deficiencies in the future, but I would hate to see this much needed education bill tanked because of one or more politician's aversion to citizens learning how to organize their communities better and participate in a free and open democracy.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I Oppose this measure as it is presently written. While I appreciate that it allows for the status quo, I think that rewriting the structure of all local governments is an overreach. Were this written as allowing communities to opt in to this alternative method of governance, I could perhaps support it. As an opt-out policy, I feel I cannot.

If you were well aware of the situation in our local cities and rural areas and how they are being governed, you would know that this bill is actually an affirmation to new form of local governments already formed in the wake of the revolution, of which many were started and still supported by the CLF. These assemblies, in some rural areas ARE the status quo for free and open democracy! The other more "regular" forms are dens of corruption held by criminal organizations or the remnants of Greene's thugs. While I admit that holding free and fair elections should minimize corruptive influences, it is of my opinion that the structures themselves leave itself open to future corruption. We are merely giving those options to Sirtans who wish to self determinate.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin votes with the Luxembourg Slate
1. A Motion of Confidence for the formation of government under Comrade Luxembourg from the SRLF.
AYE

2. The SIRTRAK Act, proposed by Member Radek of the SRLF.
AYE

3. The SISTER Act, proposed by Member Bookchin of the SRLF.
AYE

4. The Census Act, proposed by Member Subtallier of the Unity Coalition, along with associated amendments with Member Danube of the FDG (each amendment needs to be voted on separately).
AYE on the act, AYE on all ammendments

5. The Care and Shelter Act, proposed by Member Hughes of Dawn.
AYE

6. The Sirtan Budget Office Act, proposed by Member Vanderbush
AYE

7. The Outer Alliance Resolution, proposed by Member Vanderbush.
NAY

8. Bill F-1, also known as the Tax Enforcement Act, proposed by ReSeAu Gen of the UCS.
AYE

9. Constitutional Amendment on Parliament's Composition, proposed by Amnesty of the Community (requires 61 votes to pass).
ABSTAIN

10. The Truth and Reconciliation Act, proposed by Member Danube of the FDG.
ABSTAIN

11. The Truth and Justice Act, proposed by Member Knapfstein of the DAL.
AYE

12. The PEOPLE'S ASSEMBLY Act, proposed by Member Bookchin of the SRLF.
AYE

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

I humbly accept the position as Minister of Education. I know I am entrusted with the future of Sirta in more ways than one, and will ensure that trust is well founded in the day to come.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
Minister of Education

Via All-Staff Memo

To: Assembled Staff and Employees of the Ministry of Education
Subject: Introductions

Comrades,

I'm not one for words when it comes to memorandums, so I will keep this brief. I know I am the new one here, and all eyes are on me. I hope that I will be of positive impact to this Ministry and all who work to brighten the futures of our children for the years to come. I know great work has come out of these halls in the past, but with a radical new government born of revolution we must ensure that work encompasses the body of the revolution as well. That obviously means to expect changes to come in the future, as Parliament will want nothing but excellence coming from this Ministry.

To that end, I present to you your first new student post revolution: Myself. I wish to know the following information when possible:

1.) Staffing/Budgetary needs for full operations of the Ministry of Education.
2.) The current mandatory education curriculum.
3.) Full details on all government research grants including pending ones.
4.) Status on all public education institutions.

In Solidarity,
Minister Bookchin

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
1. The Self-Determination Act, submitted by Minister of Interior Danube.

NAY

2. The Right to Know Act, submitted by Member Arthur Subtallier.

AYE

3. The Police Reform Act, submitted by Minister of Interior Security Radek.

AYE

4. Amendment to the SIRTRAK Act, by Minister of Interior Security Radek.

AYE.

5. The Healer Amnesty Act, submitted by Minister of Health Dr. Xavier Dubois.

NAY

6. The Budget Bill for March 3062, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg.

AYE

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin - Ministry of Education

I have worked around and adjusted my ministry's annual budget to account for what's been required by the SISTER Act:

The noted change is obviously the construction of a CEC in a soon to be determined location. I have adjusted the budgeting accordingly with some of the grants and the closure of a defunct University - temporary adjustments until funding for our ministry can be increased to levels it previously had.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

To: Director of Public Education, Ministry of Education
Subject: First CEC Placement

Director,

I am pleased to announce we have our funding to begin construction of our first of many CECs across our country. They will be a bridge for many Sirtans to cross that entitles them to become citizens well versed in occupational and civic education. I entrust to you the decision to place the center at an optimum location where such skills are desperately needed - although I am aware of Opals desperate need for attention.

While it may be some time before we can place any new centers with the crunch on funding, I would like for you as Director to look at the vocational facilities currently running in Topaz and Amber and to see what funding would be needed to convert these existing facilities to become CECs.

-Bookchin

To: Director of Academic Institutions, Ministry of Education
Subject: State University of Sirta

Director,

I am sorry for having to effectively mothball the only higher education institution in Opal, but the exploitation of the previous administration left us with little to no choice for the time being. This does present us with an opportunity to rebrand the building without the taint that marked it's founding by Vallstein and neglect by Greene. I note that none of our universities have any focus on medical professions or research. We are also in a dire need for trained medical professionals all around Sirta. I would like back from you by this month preliminary report and what funding is necessary to convert the State University of Sirta to a Medical University of Sirta.

-Bookchin

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2017 around 01:02

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Jazerus posted:

i see that the new government is intending to continue the brain-drain industry-friendly research policy of the vallstein regime by deeply underfunding public research, leading graduates to pursue positions in industry or off-world

we sirtan scientists will just have to be content twiddling our thumbs without modern equipment or sufficient staff, moldering away in university basements while other worlds laugh at our backward ways

Comrade Bookchin

Our Ministry only reduced funding to one particular field of research, regarding Societal Modeling. It was adjusted when we learned that we could scale down the funding and still receive results in research for a field that was receiving nearly 6 times the research funding as the cheapest funded one.

This changing in funding is solely due to our Ministry's severe lack of funding across the board for grants, public and higher educational facilities. I am less a Minister in this case and more of a Triage Nurse, focusing on whats needed most for the citizens of Sirta to survive and function in the short term. I assure you that once we receive funding at nominal levels we will ensure that research grants get the proper funding they deserve, but the people need to work, and to work they need practical knowledge first.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Aye to all

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party - NAY
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek. - AYE
3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg - AYE
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube. - AYE
5. The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier. - AYE

With that business out of the way I would like to show the cabinet this month's pending budget for my ministry:

With the upfront costs for the CEC paid for with the previous budget, I have reallocated the 3 NSC to make our specialized education tuition-free, as well as boost our research grant funding, with societal modeling reverting back to it's original funding. Again, it's not a perfect budget, but I need nearly 20 NSC to ensure all institutions tuition-free, 12 in basic education alone according to my directors. These increases were selected to make the most out of the resources we have to work with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: School upgrades to CECs

Director,

I am following up on our conversation regarding the idea to upgrade the current trade schools operating in Topaz and Amber to be fully fledged CECs. Primarily, what would the costs be to upgrade the facilities/train personnel, given the costs of a brand new center to be roughly 3-5 million NSC?

-Bookchin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: All Directors, Ministry of Education
Subject: Curriculum changes

Directors,

In accordance with the SISTER Act, we will be modifying the curriculum as such:

Mandatory Curriculum: The current mandatory curriculum in Sirta follows the outlined program (subjects marked with an asterisk were introduced by the transitional government and are only taught starting from the current student year, subjects with double asterisks are being introduced):

Lower Level Arithmetic, English, SCN Interaction, Fitness, Drawing

Middle Level Basic Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics OR Creative Writing OR Electronic Maintenance, Formal Writing, Introduction to Complex Systems Science OR Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology, Fitness OR Athletics, Abstract Art OR Media Appreciation OR Music, Overview of Earth History, Recent Sirta History*, Civil Society*, Introduction to Social Ecology**, Introduction to Direct Democracy**

Upper Level Advanced Mathematics OR Creative Writing OR Electronic Engineering, Complex Systems Science OR Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology, Fitness OR Athletics, Expressive Art OR Film OR Classic Literature OR Modern Literature OR Modern Media OR Specific Music Style, Specific Period of Earth History OR Solar Union History, Vallstein History*, Revolution Ideals*, Political Science*, Social ecology**, Direct Democracy & Participatory Budgeting**, Community Development and Organizing Worker's Cooperatives**

-Bookchin

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2018 around 11:25

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin replies to Parliament:

"I welcome the concerns of Silvia Collins, and would wish to address them. These ideas may be unheard of or not accomplished in Sirta, but there are significant reading and educational materials we have from from Earth's past including successful applications of worker's co-ops and participatory budgeting, that can be used to teach the subjects. We are hoping to use the next year or so to train teachers that are already teaching civics or political science to teach these subjects, no more than what was needed to be teaching Vallstein History or Revolutionary Ideals.

As for your request to change back Vallstein History, I question the need when the mandatory Revolutionary Ideals class is certainly suited to teach students to be vigilant against tyranny."

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

"I didn't intend to suggest that teachers must have first-hand experience in these subjects, though I understand how you could get that from my wording. What I meant was that our country doesn't have experience with worker's cooperatives and direct democracy, and that it would be a poor idea to start teaching things that, to us now, are purely theoretical as if they were practical aids to our students' future. By all means, encourage the formation of workers' cooperatives and learn what you can from the settlements that choose to implement Peoples' Assemblies, but including these subjects in a mandatory curriculum is extremely premature at this stage."

"I must reject your notion here, but I appreciate the concerns you have. It is safe to say that our educational institutions are more than merely places to instill knowledge in students. They are also places for students to practice what they learned and experiment in new thoughts in what is a safe environment. We are provided with a unique opportunity to revolutionize our education system and break the mold. To better our students to critically think, and to be more politically involved than their parents or grandparents. These ideas are unique in the sense that the application for some of these is left for those working on it to decide. Let them learn together how to collaborate and debate together in mock experiments with no real world consequences. We then gain experience in our country as a whole to help provide for future generation's education."

"With all due respect Minister, this is an absurd notion. While teaching ideals is certainly important, the best way to teach that particular lesson is through example. The Vallstein administration is still relatively recent. I think you would agree that it has profound and readily apparent consequences on every facet of most citizens' lives to this day. Teaching students the causes and enabling factors of autocracy in this particular context is a necessity for ensuring the longevity of our new post-revolution society. Recent history has a blunt and direct way of teaching lessons that relatively abstract ideals can't even begin to approach. On the other hand, ideals are necessary to provide a framework through which to view that history. Both subjects are absolutely vital to creating well informed and politically aware future generations. There is no reason to make any of them optional."

"I must concede the point here to Member Collins. We will revert our decision and keep Vallstein History as mandatory."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2017 around 22:03

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Silvia Collins goes up on stage to respond to this act:

"While I appreciate the sentiment behind this bill, its' implementation of that sentiment is deficient and may prove harmful over the long-term. It is irrational to expect that an elected position will remain fully impartial in all future elections. On the contrary, this bill only intensifies the problem it was designed to solve, as it makes the very process of fair elections dependent on the will of the majority of interested citizens at specific points in time. One doesn't need to be a historian to understand the dangers this presents. I oppose this bill vehemently.

The current process, which has an impartial organization under the Guardian Council manage all elections, with observers from all parties registered for a specific election present during all of its' stages, is a superior alternative, one that has already been proven in practice."

Comrade Bookchin

"I am sorry but I can not let this go unanswered, and this is me as an ELECTED member of Parliament speaking personally and not party line.

Madame Collins, you are an appointed member of this Parliament, who was appointed by a council. A council that, for all intents and purposes, appointed itself into existence to wield massive political power over democratically elected officials.

And yet you want to lecture us on tyranny and authoritarian rule. For someone with your background, you forget your Paine:

Thomas Paine posted:

There never did, there never will, and there never can, exist a Parliament, or any description of men, or any generation of men, in any country, possessed of the right or the power of binding and controlling posterity to the “end of time,” or of commanding forever how the world shall be governed, or who shall govern it; and therefore all such clauses, acts
or declarations by which the makers of them attempt to do what they have neither the right nor the power to do, nor the power to execute, are in themselves null and void.

Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow. 

Your comparison of a democratically elected office to oversee elections to tyranny of Vallstein is laughable and reminds me of the old idiom that 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks'. Have you not considered the danger it presents to provide one un-elected branch of government that holds enormous power, with no real term limits mind you, to immortal persons? That you promote and cheer on such authoritarian ideals while criticizing democratic ones makes me wonder of your true intentions. I hope that I am mistaken."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Dec 26, 2017 around 04:35

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Subject: Revolutionary Ideals materials

Director,

Would you please confirm who created the educational materials for the Revolutionary Ideals class? Also, please provide a basic outline on what is taught in this class.

As an aside, have you gotten a chance to confirm what it would take to convert existing trade schools to CECs?

-Bookchin

To: All Directors, Ministry of Education
Subject: Bootstrap Act

Directors,

With the passage of the Bootstrap Act, it is up to our discretion to provide subjects to the Sirtan people. I would like to hear recommendations from the directors as to what coursework would work well with such implementation as well as any relevant testing and exams to be required.

-Bookchin

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

1. The AMR Accountability Act, submitted by Member Amnesty. - NAY
2. The Rehabilitation Act, submitted by Member Amnesty. - NAY
3. The Free and Fair Elections Act, submitted by Member Subtallier. - ABSTAIN
4. Constitutional Amendment on Appointments to the Constitutional Court, submitted by Minister of Foreign Affairs Vanderbush. - AYE
5. The Opposing Syndicated Crime and Racketeering Act, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. - AYE
6. The Budget Bill for May 3062 - December 3062, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg. - AYE

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
Sard

People's Assembly

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Subject: Funding Increase

Director,

Thanks to the increase in our monthly budget, I believe we can now close the gaps in our basic education institutions. I'm distributing 4 million more each to both the cities and rural schools. While we are still slightly off of our goal amounts here, we are definitely easing some financial worries off of the students and their families.

-Bookchin

Is there anything additional we should know about Sard?

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 15:26

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
Peoples Assembly of Sard

Sardines,

We feel honored that our hometown, the capital of Sirta, has decided to be at the forefront of this revolutionary way of governance, direct democracy. Granted, we have much more work ahead of us, and the rest of Sirta has eyes on us, not to mention other people across the systems. So let us make this show as entertaining as possible!

As we have decided to take the reigns of political power and collectively wield it together, I think it is reasonable for us to look into claiming ones regarding social and economic power as well. Therefore I am calling for unions and businesses together to, at least for now, voluntarily start transitioning their businesses into worker owned co-operatives, where the workers, much as this assembly does, makes business decisions together. Let us find models that boost productivity and profit for all, and not just an owner. With a workforce that shares in the profits of the company that they work for provides more wealth for that worker to spend than one who collects most of the profits.

Additionally we should also reach out to rural settlements and look to see what they are needing, and whether our factories and industry can accommodate what they are needing, in trade for what Sardines need most. To find out our own needs I call for a committee to be formed to gather input from this assembly about what necessities or wants we are missing. Any decisions to act from this information would be decided upon the assembly, of course.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
Peoples Assembly of Sard

after speaking, a tablet is handed into Bookchin's hands describing the recent announcement from Panorama

Y'know, scratch everything I said. I'll have what they are having and introduce a document for the Sard Municipal Government:

- In accordance with the People's Assembly Act, the Sard Municipal Government [SMP], consisting of the votes of every resident above the age of 16, is now the legitimate ruling body of the town of Panorama and its surrounding valley, and claims all powers and responsibilities not provided for by the national Parliament.

- In accordance with the will of the SMP, all government actions, purchases, and edicts are to originate from and be legitimated by the direct votes of its citizens, requiring a simple majority to pass. A proposal will be available for public consideration for three weeks before it is voted on.

- To assist with self-governance, a 30-person advisory committee will provide commentary and suggestions when requested on subjects falling under its expertise. The committee is made up of the heads of local schools, hospitals, energy and transportation utilities, the CLF garrison commander, and elected leaders from the region's ten largest businesses. The advisory committee chair has the power to waive the standard three-week consideration period for any proposal. The advisory committee chair position will be up for re-election every two years, and anyone meeting the regular voting requirements is eligible for nomination. The chair position is subject to recall by simple majority vote of the committee, and any member of the committee is subject to recall by the SMP in a simple majority vote.

-In accordance with the will of the SMP, the ownership of private property is abolished, effective immediately. All former private property is held in a common collective management fund owned by the SMP, and all businesses are directed to vote on their own wages and structures, with all employees given a single vote. The SMP is now the sole "owner" of all businesses and land. A special committee will hear claims for compensation.

- To ensure an adequate standard of living, the SMP is responsible for determining the material needs of its average citizen, and producing food, medicine, education, security, housing, clothing, and entertainment to meet these needs. Only after these basic needs are met are surplus commodities to be exchanged on the market.

- In accordance with the Peoples Assembly Act, the SMP is willing to confederate with other Sirtan Assemblies into a Sirtan Municipal Confederation to help manage resources and goods between regions more efficiently.

I will leave the option for riders open for the rest of the Sard assembly to propose.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Once again I am being slandered as blindly following ideology, of forcing my ideas in an undemocratic matter. I am tired of addressing such concerns when such insults are laced within, especially coming from a person who has no vote on the matter.

It is a proposal to the People's Assembly, to be decided upon democratically. It is also a work in progress subject to changes. Since the Sard assembly has yet to put up any proposals I decided to start it out.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Bookchin
Peoples Assembly of Sard

While I am not happy with some of the provisions (or lack thereof), I know a compromise when I see one and will rescind my proposal and support Comrade Luxemburg's and Comrade Radek's proposals.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

How nice of the Speaker to introduce a bill that "recognizes" public assemblies and local governing and then proceed to remove any and all powers that they previously had and place them into the hands of parliament! You could have made it simpler on yourself by just introducing a law banning any and all local governments and having Parliament oversee everything.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

1.The Property Appropriation Process Act, submitted by Member Borisov. NAY
2. Amendment to the Property Appropriation Act, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. AYE
3. Bill G-1, submitted by Minister of Finance ReSeuGen. NAY

The proposals submitted to the People's Assembly of Sard are:
All Ayes for the following:
1. General Proposal on Government and Property, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin.
2. Tax Plan, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek.
3. General Proposal on Government and Property v. 2, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg.
4. Addition to the Tax Plan, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg.
5. Effective Government, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!".
6. Legal Counsel, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!".
7. Sound Advice, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!".
8. Proper Taxation, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!".

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

The updated education budget aka We Could Have Education Fully Funded If The Rich Paid Their Fair Share of Taxes budget:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

From a speech given at the University Rally in Opal

"...And now, to answer some criticisms. Apparently I and the SLRF are tyranny incarnate! That we would take away your freedoms of choice and leave you no better than under Vallstein or Greene. The premise is so preposterous, but it is true that we are taking away power: Power from heirarchy, power from exploitation of the land and of your labor. Through my direct efforts we have a government commitment to fully fund all education, including the trades within 5 years. We have already established one new CEC and have all of the trade schools fully funded. We would have more done, like re-establish the university here, but it seems those who make those claims of us being tyrannical should be far more focused on filing their tax returns, for it is the richest of Sirtans who are failing to provide their fair share compared to all of you. Your freedom to educate yourselves without paying an arm and a leg is due to those who took too much to begin with and now don't feel like sharing. Or your freedom from starvation and homelessness. This is why you should Comrade Saint-Just, to be a strong advocate for you until you can advocate with Comrade Saint-Just together.

We, also in our "tyrannical governance", have pushed for the people to rule themselves at the local level directly. In your democratic rights you have rejected such a model for now - but you made the choice, and that is what was of most importance to me and the other fine members who voted on the law. I wish I could see more of that in our governance at the national level. It is of my belief and that of the SLRF that any military force created for our nation must be inferior to the People of Sirta and it's representatives in Parliament. I ask all of you simply for vigilance and be protective of your rights. If you are looking to be vigilant for others as well, then I ask that you go bother my old friend Comrade Radek skulking behind the curtains over here, who's program is just about to start...."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2018 around 01:02

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
Sard People's Assembly

Right then, I will be brief and ask for the following to be debated upon:

Sard Appropriation of Blighted Properties Act

* The Professional Advisory Council is to review all property within Sard to generate a list determining all that are considered to be blighted or not.
* This list will be submitted to the Property Appropriation Committee so that the blighted properties can be taken over by the city proper.

We can determine what rehabilitation is needed and what new usage shall occur when a list is actually generated.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

To: Della Jalbert, Lenore Hughes
CC: Minister Radek
Re: The Urgent Rescue Act

Esteemed Colleagues,

First let me congratulate you both on your excellent proposal to Parliament. Defending the most vulnerable in our society is a worthy project and one that I will be publicly supporting. My only concern is whether the act's scope is too limited and that we are neglecting people in similar situations - ones of domestic violence or sexual assault, for instance. Would it be possible for us to draft an amendment this act to offer support and protection for such victims as well?

Regards,
Bookchin

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Bills under Parliament's consideration:

1. The Parliamentary Confirmation Act, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. AYE
2. Constitutional Amendment on Parliament's Composition, submitted by Member Amnesty. AYE
3. The Rehabilitation Act V2, submitted by Member Amnesty. AYE
4. The Property Appropriation Re-evaluation Act, submitted by Minister of Foreign Affairs Vanderbush. NAY
5. The Urgent Rescue Act, jointly submitted by Member Jalbert and Member Hughes. AYE

Proposals brought before the Sard People's Assembly:

1. Sard Appropriation of Blighted Properties Act, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin. AYE

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
People's Assembly of Sard

Sardines of the Sard Advisory Committee and Professional Advisory Council:

We are graced to have come into a budget meaningful, but we certainly need to start utilizing it in ways that benefit every Sardine, and not just for the very few. Would you please advise the Assembly on where we should focus first?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Minister Bookchin
Parliament

Esteemed Colleagues,

I wish I could come with better news on the education front, but with our tight finances this year we've only been able to make smaller progress than expected. To that end I am forced to provide our Ministry more time to allocate funding for the building and running of CECs:

AMENDMENT TO THE SISTER ACT posted:

This law will change the required time-frame in Section 1 of the SISTER ACT from 'by the end of this year' to 'within five years'

Until we receive stronger and more consistent funding, it is the hopes that the funding of the Bootstrap Act will help the average Sirtan achieve some education until we can provide them the opportunities they deserve. I ask for your support on this measure.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Comrade Bookchin
Peoples Assembly of Sard

I wish to make a few proposals here as we know that those with much wealth have decided to keep it instead of helping to rebuild the capital of our nation. That places more burden on the Sardines that wish to stay, but, as we all have dealt with Greene's tyranny and persevered, so we shall here! Since I have not heard back yet from our Professional Advisory Council, I wish to make a few proposals now, and we can together work on ensuring these meet the immediate needs and concerns of Sardines.

Establishment of the Sard Municipal Bank and Fund This would be established to hold deposits of Sardines safely and to help protect such funds in case of crises. It would also offer loans at relatively low rates compared to private institutions for groups looking to start municipally owned co-ops within Sard. Any interest generated from such loans would be used to establish the Sard Municipal Fund to be used for capital and land purchases.

Establishment of the Sard Community Grant Program The Sard Municipal Government grants authority and funding to the Professional Advisory Council to disburse grants to communities in Sard that desire to start municipally owned businesses. Any profits from such businesses will be entered into the Sard Municipal Fund.

The Sun Rises on Sard program The Sard Municipal Government will procure and disburse basic necessities to Sardines in need of Food, clothing, and basic medicines. Funding would also be set aside for a Parks, Recreation and Agriculture program to establish or revitalize parks and cityscape as well as the establishment of community-run gardens.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

e: NOTHING HERE NO SIREE

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Jan 28, 2018 around 04:54

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

Minister Bookchin
Proposals under Parliament's consideration:

1. Amendment to the SISTER Act, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin. AYE

Proposal under the consideration of the Sard People's Assembly:

1. Establishment of the Sard Municipal Bank and Fund, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin. AYE
2. Establishment of the Sard Community Grant Program, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin. AYE
3. The Sun Rises on Sard Program, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin. AYE
4. CEC Authorization Act, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. AYE

In addition I'm taking a more hands off approach to the Education budget for now until a significant increase in budget is made. The following percentages for each overall department (and line expenditure) along with a minimum funding is submitted for the upcoming month:

This budget presumes that the Sard CEC will be built and has funding allotted for the continued operation of it, as the Bootstrap act initial funding should be complete after the spending in June and July.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at Jan 29, 2018 around 15:28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let it be known.

tatankatonk posted:

Denver Axo
Property Appropriation Committee

To the People's Assembly of Sard
...I must stress again that the responsibility falls upon the city of Sard to take all necessary measures to ensure every one of these properties are inspected and the results published within the 30-day period.

Comrade Bookchin

Thank you for the update Denver Axo. In light of this update I move to make an Emergency Proposal on Inspection of Blighted Properties in Sard. To move quickly on this the Act calls for the Professional Advisory Council to quickly draft a checklist and inspection guide. From that they should be able to select from unemployed contractors and building inspectors willing to inspect these properties - along with a suitable stipend for the work that they perform. Every inspection must be completed with findings publicly published within 30 days of passage.

I also move to have this included immediately with the other set of submitted People's Assembly proposals, and vote AYE.

«2 »