Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Forming a new party!

Name: The Union of Civil Services
Color: Navy Blue

Leader: ReSeAu Gen (formerly known as Kwong Gin)
Biography and platform:ReSeAu Gen (short for Revenue Services Auditor General) is a AMR of a former mid level career bureaucrat Kwong Gin. He had worked his way up from the bottom of the civil service through persistent dedication in the work of the government to help its people while also strictly adhering to bureaucracy and all its norms and rules. Loyal but inflexible, he was spared in the first wave of Vallstein’s purges but was executed after publishing an audit report criticizing rampant corruption and mismanagement in government departments. Vallstein personally ensured a brain scan was conducted prior to the mock trial in order to ‘provide some amusement and not waste useful brainpower’. The AMR was utilized in helping Vallstein and his cronies squirrel funds away and target his opponents inside the civil service. ReSeAu sowed the seeds for The regime’s downfall however, as Vivian Grey easily repurposed the AMR for use in sabotaging the regime from within.

With the fall of the government ReSeAu was without a purpose. It was not until his old coworkers came back pleading for aid against the inevitable rage against the civil service that ReSeAu decided to enter politics with Gray’s blessing.

His goals are simple: to reestablish a professional civil service through impartial staffing free from partisan whimsy and expel any corruption from within with impunity, while also protecting former civil service members who were simply doing their jobs against retribution from radical elements. While ReSeAu understands that he can have increasing goals, He firmly believes that any policy requires a functional civil service to plan and execute

List:
ReSeAu Gen (leader-me)
Vivian Gray (NPC).

Type: Consensus/Ideological

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

NPC duties

Ideological/consensus

Oh I was thinking more like shadow alliance with Ms. Grey. Our goals align andshe did help make/free the civil service after all. She could be the real leader for all I know ^_^

As for interpretation: it’s ideologically based: I.e CIVIL SERVICE FIRST. But because the service is so diverse (say staffing or budgetary processes for different divisions) decisions are consensus based. But generally we will be a looser bloc united under the idea of a strong pro civil service bureaucratic bent (could lead to splitting parties or divisions if the party ever or large and incrementalism?)
So say if the topic was broad based budgeting for government. We always want it in civil service training/recruitment, but if it was like. Should we give tax dept extra powers/manpower at potential cost to the foreign/int services we’d have a lot more argument resolved by consensus

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

At this point lol, we're gonna end up with an Israeli style parliament! Seems like Sirtan Rev Lib Front has the numbers adv rn though!

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

CourValant posted:

Yes, I know. They're run by the Kikuzakura.

Query: Kikuzakura
Result: Uncertain, further input required.

I would hope that these establishments have relevant permits? Your organizational data does not seem to be computing with official records. I would strongly advise you submit updated records of operations to the department of taxation for further review.

As our system of governance, I would prefer Israel over India...theirs seems much less productive. That being said, I can certainly imagine some parties whom we share common cause with and others whom...shall we say, seem diametrically opposes to our very existence.

Time will tell if professionalism will triumph over clamors or passion though

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 28, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

OOC: are we going to start selecting where to campaign now?

CourValant posted:

Ahh, ReSeAu Gen, is it? So good to hear from you, how are things in the capital? I trust the transitional government hasn't been too troublesome?

I look forward to seeing you and or Ms. Gray in the near future.

To: Eli Masamune, sometimes carrying on business as Kikuzakura no Kai)
Dear Sir,
The situation in the capital can be classified as Class 3 - average stability, high potential for movement.
Governance Is considered acceptable, but open to reclassification pending current elections.

While files are currently classified as State 4 (incomplete, damaged records present) your ‘business’ is lacking more than the average prerequisite documentation. I encourage you to submit relevant forms for business license along with information pertaining to your business and tax practices.

I will not be visiting due to technical and political requirments during the transition and election periods. Ms. Grey may or may not visit depending on her whimsy, in accordance to existing protocols.

We anticipate further communication and again remind you to follow compliance.

Regards,
ReSeAu Gen,
Union of Civil Services

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

CourValant posted:

OOC: I think we should wait until recruitment closes tomorrow, I'm sure AFancyQuestionMark will let us know when and how to kick things off.

[i]Yes, yes, of course. Perfectly understandable given current events and the upcoming election. Please do extend our invitation to Ms. Gray, perhaps we can look forward to the pleasure of your visit after the ele.

If there is anything that the Kikuzakura no Kai can do to help you restore the bureaucracy, please do let me know.

OOC: smooth operator you. This is going to be fun

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

The Union of Civil Services hereby announces it's campaign pledges after having taken into account the position of all relevant stakeholders. While we do not consider ourselves the most idealistic or charismatic, We hope that logic and compromise will triumph over vapid promises that excite the heart but do little to tackle the ills that plague our society.

The Union believes that any government that assumes control must undertake measures to stabilize and repair the social, political and economic fabric of our nation. Building on these three points, The Union pledges that if elected they will.

1. Form a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that allows for the testimony of abuses of those serving either the regime and those rebelling on the basis that those who testify will be given amnesty. This amnesty is conditional on the basis that the testifying party must prove that their actions were dictated from a higher authority whom they could not have reasonably disobeyed. The Commission will receive and screen these accounts on factual basis before accepting them. The accounts accepted by the Commission will be broadcast publicly across the nation in a hearing subject to approval of parties involved.
This purpose of the Commission is twofold. First it allows the healing process to begin through the shared stories of horror and war. While somewhat discomforting and painful to those who would have suffered, I would hope that through the hearings, we can inscribe the atrocities of the regime and civil war into our history while also finding it in ourselves to move forward. Second, as it's purpose is not to pass judgement, or replace the existing judicial system, but to present the truth in order to allow a process of healing, those ultimately responsible for capital atrocities such as war crimes can still be held accountable and assets illegally seized can be returned to their rightful owners. We hope this will help begin the healing of our political schism and help us move forward as a unified nation

2. The Railway and Power Act. While touted by other parties, the Union strongly emphasizes the need for the repair and expansion of infrastructure, particularly the High Speed Train Network and Power Grid. We propose immediate emergency funding and manpower to repair the sections of the high speed rails that were damaged or left to fall into disrepair during the civil conflict. This is to help restore our nation's connections in a literal sense, as well as allowing for the delivery of social services and aid to regions most heavily affected by the strife of the last two years. In the long term, The Union seeks to expand the network so that every town in the nation has ease of access to a cheap mode of transport that can connect them to the rest of the nation, in addition to the linkage of rural and urban power networks in order to further diversify our power base and better allocate energy to where necessary. This repair and expansion will help move people back from a wartime to peacetime economic mindset and lay the foundation towards future sustainable growth.

3. Civil Service Revitalization Project or CSRP. The first two goals would require a strong, capable bureaucracy in order to maximize the gains from their project. Currently, the civil service is critically understaffed, and rife with incompetent cronies as a result of the actions of the Greene Administration. CSRP would fund and encourage the hiring and training of civil servants, utilizing the passion of the people from all walks of life and inspire them to work in the civil service in order to help jumpstart the economy.
While I understand there are skeptics as to the efficiency of government, I would like to remind you that any and all of our projects ranging from taxation to education to healthcare and infrastructure would require a strong civil service core to even think of succeeding. This is why the Union wholeheartedly believes that the CSRP is as necessary as any of their other two key policies.

We look forward to thoughtful and reasoned debate and urge voters to cast a vote for The Union, where Professionalism and Integrity is our pledge to you

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 30, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Posters of The Union are plastered throughout country.

In Sard they feature a man and woman looking into the distance, head and chest held high

The Union: fighting with heart and mind!

In the city of Opal, the poster of The Union shows a gleaming office city in a blue sky background

A vote for the Union is a vote for the future!

in Topaz, they feature a band of workers cross armed in blue overalls staring determinedly at the viewer

Professional and Integrity are the Union's pledge to you

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

CourValant posted:

OOC: Or is that your planned end state?

I imagine fancy will have scenarios to make it easy to potentially balance power. The first election will at least see how the voters feel. So we can probably compensate if the SLRF fun away with things

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu Gen appeared recently on SCN Primetime with prize winning journalist Walter Anderson on the election, the following are the most relevant sections

W: This election has been particularly passionate thus far, can I ask for your current thoughts as we come closer to voting day?

R: A diversity of opinion and passion are key to any democratic process, which relies on the participation of the population to keep healthy. Indeed, it should not be considered surprising that this first election is more frenetic than usual when you take into account the many years of discourse and dissent that had been suppressed under the previous regime's authoritarian behavior.

However, I am concerned as to the potential violent undertones in the some of the language thrown around recently. The parties are meant to be representative of those that share their values and while disagreement and debate are signs of a healthy democracy, suggestions of violence and personal slander against others threaten to undo our presently fragile foundation of democratic values and principles. The Union opposes any such political tactics. Governance should be done through the ballot box, not through veiled intimidation.

W: The topic that seems to have been particularly discussed is the issue of CLF militia undertaking law enforcement activities in the countryside and the reformation of police forces. I noticed that such policies were noticeably absent from your initial campaign pledges. May I ask why?

R: The Union did not disregard the issue of law enforcement, but felt that as it was a subject that would have numerous opposing stakeholders, it would be best to present first policies upon which there were a general consensus in order to build a foundation of co-operation between parties before tackling this more emotionally charged issue. In retrospect, we regret this, as this topic has been growing more and more heated, threatening to divide any government before it's even formed.

W: So does the Union have a position on the issue?

R: Indeed. Our position was formed on consultation with Ms. Grey and rests upon 3 principals: Professionalism, Politics and Public Trust.

W: Would you care to elaborate? perhaps with concrete policy details?

R: Of course. The fact of the matter is that CLF militias have done a commendable job in an ad-hoc solution in providing basic security and law in regions essentially abandoned in the Civil War. They have essentially substituted the government's use of legitimate force with their own. In a time when the government was negligent and in opposition to those regions they were a necessary presence. However, now that a democratically elected government is in place, it is my belief that the law enforcement be handed back towards the government.

The first principle was outlined by Mr. Vanderbush. The CLF militias, while certainly adept in providing protection for citizens during a time of civil strife and armed gangs, are not professionally equipped or trained to tackle crime on a peacetime basis. It is my view that that sort of ad-hoc organization simply would not have the capacity to provide the necessary legal and judicial institutions that a peacetime nation would demand. While criticism has been labeled at existing law enforcement for being riddled corrupt and incompetent, they remain the only legitimate organ of the state for the enforcement of law and order. I would argue that under any new administration, the police, supported with a preexisting judicial framework, can be retrained into the professional organization it once was.

The second principle follows is that there is a perception, right or wrong, that the CLF militias are potentially politically compromised, being linked to both the DAL and SRLF. Recent statements by the DAL regarding the insistence to maintain these ad-hoc law enforcers threaten to present the image that the CLF is a political arm/weapon to be used by their parent organizations against others, akin to how the PSF was utilized by the Greene regime against dissidents. Any such organization would face immense difficulty in providing law and order, particularly in more urbanized environments, where there has not been any such interaction between the CLF and the public before.

Finally, should we all be truly committed to the rebuilding and strengthening of the government, we ought to focus on rebuilding and reforming existing institutions rather than copying over with another. While public trust of the police is incredibly damaged as a result of the Greene Regime, the fact remains that the government is generally considered the only legitimate entity to exert authority on matters of law enforcement. The Union believes that if the government is successful in rehabilitating the police forces, it would greatly strengthen public trust, assisting in the ability of the government to participate more in the nation with less suspicion or discord. Empowering the CLF would suggest that the government is relinquishing its authority to another, causing the reverse.

This is why the Union does not presently support the use of CLF militias in law enforcement.

W: That is certainly an interesting opinion, but would you be willing to answer questions on this a little further?

R: Certainly, The Union is in fact holding a town hall in which we attempt to assuage concerns and explore further this heavily contested issue. We look forward to the public's response

OOC: Please ask me any questions/attacks/whatever you have either on discord or here and I'll answer in the next post

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

A live broadcast of the Union's town hall in Topaz. the auditorium is jam packed and the tension is palatable in the air. ReSeAu's digitized face betrays little as he stands in front of the gathered audience, though his mechanical body squeaks almost nervously from time to time

R: ...and that is how the Union intends to tackle the underlying issues of the nation. Any questions?

A sea of hands rise, clamoring for attention

R: The gentleman in the front

A man rises, drawing some murmurs of ire from the crowd as they realize that his clothes bears the insignia of the Topaz Police Commission

A: Sir, there has been great discussion among the populace as to the role of the CLF in the new government. Several of the parties want to integrate them into the police force, others want the militia disbanded by any means necessary and some radicals
(he gazes disapprovingly at the section seating several SRLF supporters) want to replace the police entirely with them. I, personally do not think these vigilantes (boos, hisses rise from the crowd) are up to the task. What is your opinion on this?

R: It is a complicated matter to be perfectly frank. My professional opinion and experience has taught me that while ad-hoc community-based policing can provide short term basic law enforcement in the event that a professionally trained institution is unavailable to do so, they are incapable of addressing all needs in the long run, due to their lack of institutional legal and judicial training. An example of this is that while the CLF may have been successful in preventing looting or robbery in a community, they may be less able to investigate and prosecute crimes such as embezzlement or fraud due to their inexperience in criminal investigations that a police department would have. That is not to denigrate their accomplishments in a time where our own police services had been inadequate, but that moving forward, focus should be made to restoring the capacity of existing police services rather than creating a separate law enforcement organization.

Next Question? You sir on the left.

A middle aged man stands up, his body muscular and face weathered from years of farming.

B: I served in the CLF in my town of Quartz and while I get that you city folks don't think much of us out in the countryside, I have to disagree with you there. Our militia helped bring some justice and peace when your boys in blue were hiding in the city or worse, taking bribes from criminal scum to look the other way while they tried to rob us drat blind. Are you saying we don't have a place in law and order because you think we can't meet your fancy city standards? Because if so, here's what I say to that.

He spits on the floor, to the chorus of agreement from areas of the auditorium and cries of outrage from others

R calmly waiting until the noise has settled: I am not saying that a person in the countryside cannot be a member of law enforcement. Nor am I saying that law enforcement was perfect. Indeed, the militia would not even have come into being had law enforcement not failed you and for that we apologize. But in this new nation that we seek to create, Law enforcement must be an institution seen as impartial, professional and most importantly, unified. As it currently stands, the CLF does not fit that criterion. I would not be against members of the CLF to become law enforcement officers, but it must be through the reorganization and reform of current systems rather than the empowerment of an organization with the perception of partisan leanings. That would only divide us further rather than uniting us. I hope that answers your question.

The lady on the right

A well dressed businesswoman rises imperiously, scanning the SRLF section with distain.

C: My good sir, surely you do not intend to integrate potential vigilantes into the police forces? How can they be trusted or trained, as unused to the urbanized environment they are.( Anger ripples through the crowd and individuals begin to stand up in an attempt to confront the woman, who only smiles and continues )See, even now they cannot control their boorish behavior.

ReSeAu motions towards security who help separate the sections of those rising in the businesswoman's defense and those aggravated by her comments. He gestures for silence before looking steadily at the woman

R: Madam, that kind of rhetoric is what divides us and prevents the nations healing. These kinds of prejudices must be placed aside for the good of our nation. There is no evidence to support your claim that an average member of the CLF cannot serve in good faith and capacity, so long as they abide by regulation and procedure. Training and assessments by professionals will screen those capable and those incapable of serving in law enforcement, not the sensationalized opinion one might have of others.

One last question. Yes, the lady in the back

An old wizened woman of 80 stands up, her face twisted in a scowl marked by years of hardship

D: You claim that the government is the one that needs to lead us, to provide us with 'law and order'. You ask us to trust the government with powers over our safety, and security. How can you ask us that when it was the police who abandoned us in our time of need, who took bribes from scum to look the other way when they came to pillage from us and who at times even committed crimes against us and ours. she is shaking, working herself into a frenzy) They (she savagely points at the first speaker, who blanches slightly )killed my son. They, burned our homes and ripped families apart. If not for the CLF, there would be even more graves.

So how dare you stand on your high pedestal and tell us that we ought to trust our government. Because from where I see it, leaving it to our government is what got us into this mess in the first place. How do you know it won't end up the same way? What we need is the CLF. And if you're too blind to see that, I'd say you're just another crony of Greene's! The auditorium erupts into uproar as whole sections stand, some cheering with the woman and chanting "CLF CLF" while others yell about slander and treason

ReSeAu signals offstage and a loud thunderous sound erupts from the podium, shocking the participants into silence

R: Ladies and Gentlemen, please sit. This is a town hall, not a riot. While I appreciate the emotions of my supporters at this time, the purpose of this forum is to allow for the voicing of different opinions and not to suppress them in hopes of opening a mutual dialogue and understanding.

Madam. I understand your concern. Indeed, Public Trust has been collapsed due to the actions of the past two administrations. You have associated the corruption of the regime with the institution bodies and I can see your point. But this is where I have to disagree. Institutions are powered by the individuals who hold it accountable. The autocratic regimes prevented them from being held accountable. Many civil servants are loyal and honest, only to be stymied by the powers to be and those that resisted paid the ultimate price.

I would know, I was one of them.

In this new democracy, Our party seeks to re-establish that trust between people and government, to hold accountable and be held accountable by the participation of the citizenry through the ballot, not the bullet. Only by taking steps to re-establish trust between those in the citizenry and government can we fully mend the divide caused by the Civil War and I believe that the reformation of law enforcement is one of the most visible and viable ways to do so.

I can't give you back your son, but I hope to build a society where none of us never have to experience what you have again. So I ask every one of you here: Vote. Vote to keep this democracy vibrant, alive and moving towards a better future to us all

Thank you

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 1, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

A secured conference room in the Parliament building. The members of the UCS are seated around a boardroom table, expressions pondering. ReSeAu looks impassively, his holoprojected face showing signs of discomfort

While the election results should have come to no surprise to us, considering the association of our group with the prior regime, We must formally decide our next step. We are bound together by our desire to see a revitalized civil service, regardless of our own personal opinions regarding politics and policy.

It is clear that despite mistrust that certain parties have of us, we have been granted an opportunity with the portfolio of the Finance Department and I the speakership. I believe though these first steps we can sow the seeds of our new government and demonstrate to the public that we are worthy of further public trust.

He looks at each member, his gaze lingering on Vivian Grey

We must be unified and accept this as one. I call upon the motion to vote on whether to accept the offers of the man named as Luxembourg for my ascension to Speakership and the party's command of the Finance Portfolio.

I also submit the motion to authorize and request Ms Grey to assist us in gathering more support to caucus with our party, in order to further our goals of a strong professional government.

OOC: Consensus time. If the NPC parties and Vivian accepts. I will take speakership and Finance. I'm also hoping to get Ms. Grey to go convince the following individuals to unofficially caucus/be associated with us
1. Lisa Wyatt
2. William Viner
3. Janet Ollipant
4. Silvia Collins
5. Sofia Juhl
6. Jade Ross
7. Grace Wright

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu enters the Parliamentary Chamber, signalling his desire to speak.

We of the Union of Civil Service, having undertaken numerous consultations within our party, have come to a consensus.

Our party accepts the offer given by the SRLF to participate in the formation in the new government in return for the Portfolio of Finance and Speakership.

This was not an easily reached decision and we admit there was much consternation with regards to the DAL being placed in charge of the defense forces. After mediation and negotiation between various parties, we are glad that the SRLF has provided a reasonable compromise for all parties involved.

Ladies and Gentlemen, while I understand that we may have been on opposing sides in the conflict and be of differing ideologies, we must not forget that we are all Sirtians. It is time to put aside our enmity and reunited to build our nation side by side, for a house divided against itself cannot stand.

I implore all parties to work together despite our disagreements, to rebuild our nation together and demonstrate that this government intends to move forward together.

As Speaker and in the Ministry of Finance, The UCS pledge to take any and all steps necessary to ensure people can look upon our government with trust and pride.

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 3, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu ascends the Speaker's Dias. Solemnly, he signals for the attention of all Members

It is with great honor that I humbly accept the role of Speaker for this Assembly. I intend to uphold the duties of this role with the dignity and respect it deserves.

Let us now look forward, my fellow members, to the future. I can see already bills being drafted and anticipate passionate debate. Let us not forget however, decorum or regular order, which I will enforce rigorously.

To my knowledge, the current bills on the table are:

1. A Motion of Confidence for the formation of government under Comrade Luxembourg from the SRLF
2. The SIRTRAK Act, proposed by Member Radek of the SRLF
3. The SISTER Act, proposed by Member Bookchin of the SRLF
4. The Census Act, proposed by Member Subtallier of the Unity Coalition, along with associated amendments with Member Danube of the FDG
5. The Care and Shelter Act, proposed by Member Hughes of Dawn
6. The Sirtan Budget Office Act, proposed by Member Vanderbush
7. The Outer Alliance Resolution, proposed by Member Vanderbush.
8. Bill F-1, also known as the Tax Enforcement Act, proposed by the UCS.

It is my understanding that the ruling party has not yet submitted a Budget Bill. I would like to remind them that the bill is mandatory as stipulated by the constitution.

That is all, thank you.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Godlovesus posted:

Bill F-1
This Act may may cited as the Tax Enforcement Act
Section I: Preamble

A). Aware of the existing tax gap between revenues calculated and revenues collected,

B). Reaffirming that taxes are mandatory monies payable to government for the purpose of its operations,

C). Understanding that the tax current gap may not reflect actual intentional delinquency on the part of taxpayers and,

D). Being aware of the need to collect revenues for the sustained working of government operations.

Section II: Purpose
Parliament therefore;
A) Reaffirms that the Income Tax Act and its associated powers of administration, enforcement, verification and collection are of the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Finance and its subsidiary branches,

B). Accepts the need to expand staffing operations within Revenue Collections in order to meet existing policy and anticipate for future policy,

C). Understands the need to collect arrears outstanding

Section III: Administration

Aware of the needs above, and in order to fulfill said mandate, Parliament proposes:

A). A extension of time of forty five (45) days for all taxpayers, delinquent or otherwise, to;
I). File and submit any and all outstanding tax returns with the relevant details
II). Submit any outstanding payment in full, or in lieu of an ability to pay, an acceptable payment arrangement extending no longer than twelve (12) months of any amounts owing to the Ministry without penalty for previous delinquency
III). Submit themselves to a audit should the Ministry or relevant subsidiary bodies believe amounts are being misrepresented in a manner to which their tax burden would be significantly lowered

B). In the event of taxpayer non-compliance to Section III A, the Minister may empower officers and officials to act in its stead to;
I). Impose a five percent (5%) compound interest daily, per annum for any amounts owing along with associated penalties until taxes are paid in full,
II). Place an assessment based upon existing factual information for any taxpayer not compliant with Section III A(I) which will be held as amounts owing,
III). Enforce collections actions against delinquent taxpayers through legal actions including but not limited to; garnishment against the taxpayer, the certification of debts in Tax Court, the seizure and sale of assets relating to the taxpayer and the assessment of joint liability of third parties related to the taxpayer.

Section IV: Enforcement
Accepting that the Ministry may not be able to undertake such a project in full in its present condition, Parliament will:
A). Instruct its Ministry and relevant branches to focus on sections of taxpayers noted as having significant tax gaps.

B). Allocate resources and priority to the collection of taxpayers with the largest outstanding balances

C). Allocate priority to the audit of taxpayers noted as having multiple revenue lines

D). Allow for the extension or adjustment any time periods, penalties or assessments in Section A or B at the Minister’s discretion.

Section V: Resources
Parliament accepts that a sustained revenue collection is key to the functioning of governance and will consider upon the drafting of the next budget bill;
A). An adequate allocation of manpower and resources to be determined by the Budgetary Office to enforce the mechanisms of this Act

B). A further increase in funding to empower the Ministry of Finance in its current and future operations

Section VI: Continuation of Act

A) The Act is meant as an temporary addendum to the Income Tax Act and the majority of its provisions will sunset two (2) years from the establishment from this law. Save for Section III B). and Section IV, which will replace previous existing provisions in the Income Tax Act

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 5, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu sits in the conference room, the voices of various members overlapping and rising volume and distress. He signals for quiet and is promptly ignored, the crescendo of noise growing increasingly frenzied as his caucus wrangle over the bills on the floor. Finally his patience wears thin and his mechanical body blares out a ringing sound, causing all assembled to wince and fall silent. His holoprojected face scowls

R: I was under the impression we were a assembly of august individuals, not bickering children, several members heads drop abashedly

I understand your concerns. Indeed, the SRLF's policies certainly conflict with our core ideals. Even more concerning is the partisan attitude in which the DAL is pitching its bill, where they seem to seek our destruction under the pretense of justice. It goes too far!

Nonetheless, we must persevere for now. I am certain that moderation will prevail. Now, let us decide on our votes on the bills at hand...

hours later, the assembly has dissolved and ReSeAu sighs. This certainly was harder than imagined. He presses for the intercom

R: Ms. Grey, if you would have a moment, I have a favor to ask...

The Union of Civil Services votes as following

1. Motion of Confidence. - Yes

2. SIRTRAK ACT - Yes

3. SISTER ACT - Yes

4. Census Act and all of it's amendments - Yes

5. Care and Shelter Act - Yes

6. Sirtan Budget Office Act - Yes

7. Outer Alliance Resolution - Abstain. The UCS acknowledges the gesture, but feels at the moment that further consensus is needed prior to stepping beyond national borders

8. Bill F-1 - Yes

9. Constitutional Amendment on parliament Composition - No. The UCS believes that to rashly amend the shape of government in the current moment is an unwise motion and will not support it

10. The Truth and Reconciliation Act - Abstain. While the UCS understands the need for restorative justice, we are unable to reach consensus as to the potential effect this bill may have on members of our party. Further review is required

11. The Truth and Justice Act - No. The UCS deems this nothing more than a partisan witch hunt designed to denigrate parties and members of government the DAL feels ideologically opposed to. This is not helped by the continued rhetoric of said party against members who may have served the nation in any capacity.

12. The People's Assembly Act - No. The UCS is currently of the opinion that to devolve governmental authorities at this current time would slow the speed of recovery and stability. While the notion is novel, upheaval on such short notice would be too radical a change for our systems.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

CourValant posted:

Private Message
To: ReSeAu Gen, (UCS)

My Dear Speaker,

Most sincere congratulations on attaining both the role of Speaker, and the soon-to-be portfolio of Minister of Finance.

It is no doubt an affirmation of your many years of service, dedication, and professionalism.

The KNK salutes your achievements, and on a personal note, I do hope this is the start of many joint efforts between both our Parties.

Ever your humble servant.

-Eli Masamune
Kikuzakura no Kai

Private Message
To: Eli Masamune (KNK)

Member Masamune,

I thank you for your congratulations and wish you and yours well. I apologize for not replying sooner as the role of a speaker and party leader keeps one busy, even with a digital mind and body.

The UCS is always happy to collaborate with any party willing to strengthen the institutions of the Sirtan Government and by extension, Sirta itself.

We hope that your party will be able to contribute to this government as best as it is able to. Opinions from all spheres are always welcome, so long as they remain professional and do not undermine the integrity of this government.

Respectfully,

ReSeAu,
Speaker
Leader of the Union of Civil Services

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

A minor member of the UCS signals for time in Parliament, ReSeAu grants him permission to speak

Minor: It has come to our attention that there may be some ambiguity regarding Bill F-1 Section III B (I). Let me attempt to clarify. The interest would be 5% per annum, compounded daily, for any taxes owing. The UCS apologize for any confusion the bill may have caused. Thank you, I yield the rest of my time.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Pakled posted:

Speaker, if I may have a word, I would like to address the understandable reluctance of our civil servants to support the Truth and Reconciliation Act. I know you and your party have as much of an interest as the rest of us, if not moreso, in clearing out the corrupt remnants of the Old Regime that remain in the civil service, but I absolutely share your commitment to protecting honest civil servants, and this commitment is reflected in the bill. Unlike the Truth and Justice Act, the commissioners in my bill are ultimately answerable to Parliament, and the proceedings of the TRC will be open to all. This transparency and accountability, along with the clearly defined limits to the operation of the commission and the restitution it can order, will prevent abuse. Everything about the Truth and Reconciliation Act is designed to ensure that the Commission is dedicated to seeking justice, not vengeance.

Member Danube, I'm afraid this comment is out of order. As speaker, I am only allowed to comment on procedural matters. Hmm? what's this? ReSeAu frowns as he is handed a slip of paper by one of his deputies. He reads it and nods, dismissing the man. He turns towards Member Danube

However, it seems your appeal to accountability and transparency has reached the Union of Civil Service. Please note on the record that the Union of Civil Service have decided to change their vote for the Truth and Reconciliation Act from abstain to Yes.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu accepts the portfolio of Finance. I aim to serve this nation well through the efficient collection and distribution of governmental revenues.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu enters the building housing the Ministry of Finance. His holoprojected face closes its eyes, as if almost savoring his return to where he once was. Then he begins the walk to his office, his expression darkening as he reviews the budgetary report. His machine body begins to hum with rapid heat as he takes into account how his staff look overwhelmed and understaffed. He strides into the office, slamming his finger on the intercom

R: Divisional Managers, please submit an operations report for each area for review as soon as possible and please dispense with the usual pleasantries in the report, I simply need raw data and needs. Thank you.

it looks to be a long day, he thinks as he begins to review the first report

OOC: If AFQM will provide the following data in private to the questions below
1. Staffing/Budgetary needs for full operations (or failing that, focusing on tax collection/enforcement and audit)
2. The rationale for finances in the current budget
3. Existing rates for sales tax, trade tariff and interest rates
4. Current expected GDP growth, inflation, unemployed (expressed as a %)

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Honored Members if Parliament, I would like to nominate Ms. Janet Oliphant of the Guardian Council apointees as a member of the Government Oversight and Transparency Committee selection.

OOC: sorry for the late reply. Work caught up with me.
Whenever the overview for finance is ready, please also let me know. Thanks

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Finance Ministerial Directive I:

The following staffing and budgetary allocations of the current ministry are to be made as follows:

1. All staff are required to undergo review to as certify that their performance is in line with expected ethical and professional standards in line with the Code of Conduct and Integrity of the Ministry (to be published shortly). This review will be undertaken over 6 months in the following order: Tariff and Customs Division, Subsidies and Incentives Division, Currency Control, Analysis and Recommendations, Trade Standards and Taxation and Revenues. Staff found to have violated said standards will assessed on a case by case basis. Staff who have committed minor transgressions be given an opportunity to correct said behavior and undertake a probationary review under the watch of a sectional manager AMR selected by the Minister. Staff found to have breached the Code in an egregious manner or failure to uphold behavior during the probationary period can be dismissed by the Ministry and could even potentially barred from further employment in the Civil Service.

2. All current funding for projects in the subsidies and incentives division are to cease immediately pending further review. All current staff and funding will be reallocated to the Taxation and Revenues Division until further notice from the Minister. The Minister and senior management may on ad-hoc basis, allow for the resumption of subsidies to critical or strategic industries.

3. The Trade Standards division will enforce their mandate vigorously. Any attempts by a non-Ministry individual to subvert or hinder the activities of the division are to be referred to the Ministry of Internal Security for further investigation. Any attempts by a Finance Ministry individual to hinder or subvert the mandate of the Trade Standards Division should be referred to the Minister or upper management for corrective action.

4. The Minister authorizes the lowering of the prime rate set by the Sirtan State Bank from 3% to 1%. This rate will be reviewed and adjusted as necessary on a bi-annual basis until further notice

5. The Minister also authorizes the sale of up to 200 million in Sirtan governmental bonds in order to bolster the finances of the government to fund future projects.

6. Assuming the Budget Bill passes. Funding will go accordingly
a) 10 million to Taxation and Revenues
b) 3 million to Trade Standards
c) 1.5 million to Analysis and Recommendations
d) 1.5 million to Currency Controls
e) 1 Million each to Tariffs and Customs and Subsidies and Incentives

Signed,

ReSeAu
Minister of Finance

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 13, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

1. The Self-Determination Act, submitted by Minister of Interior Danube.
2. The Right to Know Act, submitted by Member Arthur Subtallier.
3. The Police Reform Act, submitted by Minister of Interior Security Radek.
4. Amendment to the SIRTRAK Act, by Minister of Interior Security Radek.
5. The Healer Amnesty Act, submitted by Minister of Health Dr. Xavier Dubois.
6. The Budget Bill for March 3062, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg.

ReSeAu, with the duties and responsibilities vested upon me as Member of Parliament hereby casts votes accordingly, without any attempt to sway or bind my party to my decision.

1. Abstain, I believe the time is too soon and further time is needed to see how the current institutions recover prior to deciding, though I feel the intent is admirable
2. Nay. This vote is cast not against the idea of transparency of privacy, but that the bill is all encompassing and wholly inflexible in application with regards to access to information should be provided. I believe that a bill must be written out more carefully at this time prior to being voted on.
3. Abstain. Police reform is an admirable goal. I simply feel at this time the political undertones of the bill present the optics of partiality.
4. Yes.
5. Abstain. I am currently unsure as to the purpose of this act or whether it constitutes redundancy. As such, I cannot vote for this act at this time.
6. Yes

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Members of Parliament and Employees of the Ministry,

Please see submitted budget allocation for the month of March 3062 as outlined in accepted budget and taking into account Finance Ministerial Directive I

Please note some changes have been made to reflect the shifting priorities of the Minister. The Minister believes no further amendments to this allocation will be forthcoming at the current time, barring drastic events.

The Minister will be shortly submit further directives with regards to the proposals of the Foreign Minister, The SIRTRAK ACT and Bill F-1.

Any questions can be directed and answered by the Minister.

Thank you,

Regards,

ReSeAu
Minister of Finance

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 17, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu casts votes in the following nominations accordingly

Truth and Reconciliation Committee

Yes to all save Kayambe whom I am voting No. While I am uneasy with the somewhat partisan skew of the Committee. I choose to nonetheless place our faith in the choices made. Kayambe’s nomination presents a significant conflict of interest considering her role as the Constitutional Court’s Justice. While several members of the SDLF have indicated recusal is an option. I feel that appointments should attempt to minimize constitutional entanglements and that a recusal of a Justice in cases so early in this government would sorely affect any perception of the public on the Court, as well as potentially disrupt hearings, I would however, be open to another legal mind on the Commission, perhaps the Chief Justice can recommend one?

The SIRTRAK Committee
Yes to all except Justice Kropotkin and myself. I am opposing Justice Kropotkin for the same reasons I opposed Justice Kayambe’s nomination to the TRC.

I am abstaining from my own nomination for obvious conflict of interests. I feel that my worth on the committee should be decided by my peers, without any undue influence on my part.

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 19, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

The Speaker notes the current bills in front of this house are the following:

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek.
3. The Budget Bill submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu votes the following

1. The Tariff Abolition Act submitted by the Freedom Stability Party
No.
Free trade is certainly an admirable ideological goal. But to do so in such a manner without prior consultation or analysis would be foolhardy. In addition, a nation without tariffs would only benefit should its partners do the same. I see no evidence of this and thus currently do not support abolition of tariffs until a more comprehensive study has been conducted
2. The Sovereign Wealth Fund Act, submitted by Minister Radek
Abstain. As the one who would be administering it, I recuse myself from voting on the motion entirely
3. The Budget Bill for April 3062 submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg
Yes
4. The Census Extension Act, an amendment to the prior passed Census Act, submitted by Minister Danube
Yes
5. The Bootstrap Act, submitted by Arthur Subtallier
No.
Member Subtallier's ideas for free education and his zeal to see an educated populace is to be applauded indeed. However, it's execution leaves much to be desired. I do not believe simply 'giving' training materials in lieu of actual teaching or training will be useful. Indeed, I fear it would likely cause more issues than it resolves (for example, individuals learning incorrectly). I cannot in good conscience support such a slipshod method of education.

On the matter of education, I must express my take on the furor that has been underway regarding the new curriculum. I am heartened to see Minister Bookchin re-evaluate his position and provide a potential compromise in light of the concerns raised by several members. I myself was concerned about the vast amount of subjects that a potential student would have to undergo and whether they resulted in a bias of subject matter at the expense of another (Humanities over science/creative arts) for example. I would strongly urge Minister Bookchin also consider combining several of the subjects into a broader category, such as Civic Studies/Engagment and Political Science, of which these issues could be a module rather than a course unto itself, in order to reduce the potential academic burden on the average Sirtan student

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

1. The AMR Accountability Act, submitted by Member Amnesty. - Abstain

2. The Rehabilitation Act, submitted by Member Amnesty. - NAY

3. The Free and Fair Elections Act, submitted by Member Subtallier. - Nay

4. Constitutional Amendment on Appointments to the Constitutional Court, submitted by Minister of Foreign Affairs Vanderbush. - Nay

5. The Opposing Syndicated Crime and Racketeering Act, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. - AYE

6. The Budget Bill for May 3062 - December 3062, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg. - AYE

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

ReSeAu Gen
Minister of Finance
Sard
Representative Democracy

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

In response to this somewhat...strange circumstances, I thought it best to clearly point out the National government’s duties in the following act

quote:

Bill G-1
An Act to better enumerate the powers of the National Government of Sirta

Short Title: This Act may be referred as to the National Powers Act

Section I: Preamble

A) Recognizing the existence of the People’s Assemblies,

B) Cognizant of the fact that local and National government priorities may diverge,

C) Aware of the current structure and powers granted to the National government through their existing ministries; Justice, Defense, Interior, Internal Security, Education, Health, Finance, Attorney General and Foreign Affairs.

D) Being aware that this list is not exhaustive and subject to change as seen fit by Parliament.

Section II: Definitions

Definitions for the purposes of this act:

“local government” refers to any municipal government or People’s Assembly

“National government” refers to any ministry or agency of the National government present and future
“powers” refers to the right to delegate, regulate, enforce and modify policy relating to a specified area unless otherwise specified by an Act of Parliament

Section III: Provisions

A. Reaffirms the following powers that currently are delegated to the sole jurisdiction of the National government in the current respective portfolios

I. The Ministry of Finance: including but not limited to;
i. All Taxation and Revenues
ii. Trade regulations
iii. Economic incentives and subsidies
iiii. Monetary policy through the Sirtan Central Bank
v. Economic Analysis

II. The Ministry of Education: including but not limited to;
i. Educational and Curriculum standards
ii. Research grants for education
iii. Public Education

III. The Ministry of Internal Security; Including but not limited to;
i. Law Enforcement and Investigation
ii. Correctional and Rehabilitation Services
iii. National Intelligence
iiii. Federal security and protective services

IIII. The Ministry of the Interior: including but not limited to;
i. Governmental registration, documentation and records
ii. Social welfare

V. The Ministry of Infrastructure: including but not limited to;
i. The Sirtan Transportation Network
ii. Public utilities
iii. Public Transit
iiii. Space Travel

VI. The Ministry of Defense: including but not limited to;
i. recruitment, procurement, training, deployment, standards, compensation and outreach regarding the armed forces

VII. The Ministry of Justice: including but not limited to;
i. Prosecution Services and Standards
ii. The Sirtan Court System
iii. The Truth and Reconciliation Committee

VIII. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs: including but not limited to;
i. Diplomatic relations with foreign nations
ii. Deployment and security of diplomatic Missions, foreign and domestic

IX. Any future powers established by an Act of Parliament

B. This bill confirms that any local government do not powers related to the jurisdictions listed above unless the National government has chosen to waive or devolve said powers onto the local government,
I. Any powers devolved must be granted and applied equally to all local governments, subject to a 4 year review by the National government

C. Local government powers may be used in conjunction (but not supplanting) National government powers to support national efforts, with oversight assigned to the various agencies depending on the subject matter

D. In matters of dispute between the local and federal government over the use of powers, the Constitutional Court may choose to hear the case in order to better define the scope of powers and their relative delegation.
I. Should the Constitutional Court choose not to hear a case, it is assumed that the powers remain with the National government.

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2018

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

With regards to Parliament we currently have these bills on the floor for consideration:

The Property Appropriation Process Act submitted by Member Borisov
With an amendment by Member Radek

Bill G-1. Also known as the National Powers Act, submitted by Speaker Gen

There are also several local ivernment proposals for Sard such as those submitted by Prime Minister Luxembourg and The Better Government for Sard

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2018

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

I cast my vote in the following manner
1.The Property Appropriation Process Act, submitted by Member Borisov. AYE
2. Amendment to the Property Appropriation Act, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. NAY
3. Bill G-1, submitted by Minister of Finance ReSeuGen. AYE

1. General Proposal on Government and Property, submitted by Minister of Education Bookchin. NAY
2. Tax Plan, submitted by Minister of Internal Security Radek. Conditional AYE if Proper Taxation passes
3. General Proposal on Government and Property v. 2, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg. NAY
4. Addition to the Tax Plan, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg. NAY
5. Effective Government, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!". AYE
6. Legal Counsel, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!". AYE
7. Sound Advice, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!". AYE
8. Proper Taxation, submitted by "Making a Better Sard Together!". AYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

My apologies for my absence, A reform of the banking sector has been considered in the Department and has consumed much of my time.

I will resolve to undertake further measures to address the issues in the financial sector. As a first step, I submit the Bill F-2, the Bank Act, for your consideration

quote:

Bill F-2

Short title: This act may be referred to as the Bank Act

Part I: Interpretation and Definitions:

Ministry: The Finance Ministry of the Sirtan National Government

Minister: The Finance Minister of the Sirtan National Government

Government - The Sirtan National Government

Charter - The right to operate a Financial Institution

Schedule: A category that defines the restrictions and responsibilities of a Financial Institutions

Financial Institution: Any organization that conducts transactions such as loans, deposits and investments of a financial nature.

Credit Union: A non-profit financial institution formed by members of a community

Bank: A for-profit financial institution

Foreign institution: an entity wherein at least 60% of ownership is held by individuals or entities not residing, possessing citizenship or operating primarily within Sirta

Local institution: an entity wherein at least 60% of ownership is held by individuals or entities residing, possessing citizenship or operating primarily within Sirta

Operator: The individual or individuals responsible for the oversight and overall decision-making of an entity (such as a Board of Directors or Owner)

Part II: Purpose

In order to re-organize and reclassify financial institutions so as to ensure a healthy, well regulated financial system, This Act declares the Ministry and Minister regulatory authority for the granting of Charters within Sirta.

Part III: Charter Application

A. Any Financial Institution must obtain a Charter from the Ministry prior to operation by;

I) Submitting a application detailing their intent and purpose to form a financial institution,
II) Submitting the identifying information of the intended entity’s operators including
III) Full Legal Name
IV) Date of Birth
V) Certificate of Citizenship or Incorporation
VI) Certificate of Tax Clearance
VII) Sirtan Criminal Check
VIII) Full Financial Disclosure

B.The Ministry will review the application and endeavor to respond to any application for a Charter within 180 days,
C. The Ministry has the right to request further documentation or details be provided should it deem necessary, and
D.The Minister reserves the right to deny the application at any point in time should they believe that the information on the application constitute misrepresentation.

Part IV: Schedule of Charters

1) Successful applicants will be granted a Charter, which is related to a Schedule listed below
A) Schedule I: A local institution Bank which is allowed to accept deposits, make loans, provide credit, conduct investments and transfer funds on behalf of its clients,
B) Schedule II: A local institution Bank which is allowed to conduct investments and provide credit on behalf of its clients,
C) Schedule III: A foreign institution Bank which is allowed to accept deposits, make loans, provide credit, conduct investments and transfer funds on behalf of its clients,
D) Schedule IV: A foreign institution Bank which is allowed to conduct investments and provide credit on behalf of its clients,
E) Schedule V: A local institution Credit Union which is allowed to accept deposits, make loans, provide credit, conduct investments and transfer funds on behalf of its clients
F) Schedule VI: A foreign institution Credit Union which is allowed to accept deposits, and transfer funds on behalf of its clients

Part V: The Responsibilities of Charters

1) All Charter holders are required to uphold their clients right to privacy to the best of their ability by;
A) Ensuring the protection and secure storage of client information,
B) Restricting access to personal information to the client, their authorized representative or on a need-to-know basis,
C) Reporting all illegal attempts or breaches of said information to the client and all relevant authorities in a timely manner,
D) Prohibiting the use of personal information in marketing, promotional or targetted material without client consent.

2)Charter holders may be exempt for 3a) under the following circumstances;
A) When served a official request for information by the Ministry for the purposes of tax verification and audit for the client,
B) When served a subpoena by the Government in relation to criminal charges by the client,
C) As outlined in the FINTRAK Act

3) In addition, Schedule I-IV holders are required to;
A) Update the Ministry as to any change in operator or operators,
B) Update the Ministry as to any cession of business,
C) File tax returns annually and pay any arrears outstanding as outlined in Bill F-1 Section II A.II) and,
D) Maintain a reserve requirement of 10%

4)Schedule V-VI holders are required to;
A) File an informational return detailing the membership in their institutions,
B) Update the Ministry as to any change of status,
C) Update the Ministry to any change in operator or operators,

Part VI: Breach of Charter
A) A breach of Charter may be allowed by the Minister if the operator or financial institution can demonstrate that the cause of the breach was reasonably beyond their control.
B) It is the onus of the operator and/or financial institution to immediately inform the Ministry if a breach has occured upon their awareness of the situation and to attempt to comply with the requirements of the Act as swiftly as possible
C) Failure of a financial institution to uphold its responsibilities may result in the revocation or temporary suspension of their Charter as well as a fine by the Ministry in addition to any penalties imposed by other Acts of Government

Part VII: Implementation
A) This Act shall come into effect as of January 3063.
B) This Act shall supersede and replace all previous Banking Acts