Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this is the thread for talking about The Original Founding Fathers Of Our Uniquely American Experiment In Personal Freedom, Who Are All Cool Except For The Ones Who Disagreed With The Cool Ones Which Was All Of Them, Depending Upon Who You Ask

gently caress long OPs

i, for one, am a tremendous whore for HBO's John Adams because its primarily a film-nerd's dream of a long form dramatic series about a lawyer's professional life in colonial america, secondarily an utterly unromantic view of the revolution and its purportedly heroic leading figures as well as some of the unsung diplomatic moves which arguably may or may not have allowed it space to do its thing, and tertiarily a venue for Paul Giamatti to shout at Hillary Clinton's self-appointed historical stand-in about intervention in Syria or maybe France. idk, we as a nation seem with an ocean on either contested border never really seem to get away from the conversation in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWBs46USqE

quaternarily it has the best depiction of historically accurate dentistry in cinema. especially in versailles. you can smell the periodontal disease through the screen. yeesh. i am basically starting this thread as a safe space to effuse about it to an embarassing degree.

here's some heartstoppingly congenial conversation to prime the pump, as it were!!!! at the very least this saves the saudi arabia thread from talking about the founding fathers more!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

adams is giant thin skinned prick who was petty as gently caress

you're an alright poster but there's this perpetually shocked and reactive tone pervading your constituent posts--usually framed around a groundless declarative statement of some kind--about current events in general and this is a good example of it regarding past events in particular.

instead of "this dude's rear end is terminally chapped, gently caress that guy and his rashy, smelly-yet-dry rear end" you should be like "why is john adams such a prick? what's that guy's damage?" and the answers to that are probably really interesting and humanizing, and fill in a lot of gaps in what would otherwise be a seriously confusing narrative of events.

so just do that, but for everything IRL and offline, forever. there's no money in it, you will receive no recognition, there is no prize of any kind that you wouldn't have otherwise received anyway through social networking. but you'll have a seemingly precognitive sense for human bullshit after a decade and, more importantly, be really fun to talk to in bars. though won't get laid, not that way anyway.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jefferson was just a weird but gifted goon who was a massive hypocrite about pretty much everything who jerked off to the idea of super agrarian perpetual revolution society and was also a rapist.

but you repeat yourself, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Serious question, would any of the founders actually be on board with Donald Trump's administration and actions?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
reminder:

Sure, Alexander Hamilton had to stand up to the likes of Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson, but when Hamilton’s Lin-Manuel Miranda was in high school, his main adversary was the renowned political rapper and activist Immortal Technique. “He was our school bully,” Miranda told Marc Maron on Monday’s WTF podcast. “He terrorized kids, he threw them in the garbage. I got thrown in the garbage by him.” Still, that didn’t stop the young rapper, then known by his birth name, Felipe Andres Coronel, from coming onto Miranda’s turf: the stage. “He got a part senior year [in the school play] and I was like, ‘Oh my god, I’m in a loving play with the dude that scares the poo poo out of all my friends,” Miranda said.

Though Technique did not follow Miranda to Broadway, the Tony-winning star was still able to beam his proud papa face over the airwaves, saying, “He’s one of the most political, ideological [rappers], he really made an incredible life for himself as a rapper.” Adding, “He was a really angry kid and it’s been wonderful to watch him grow up and find a political outlet for that anger.” Is it just us, or is anyone else hoping that the two reunite for a musical about their real experiences as two kids from Harlem and Washington Heights attending a highly competitive gifted-and-talented school in the Upper East Side doing plays and being dunked in garbage cans?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willie Tomg posted:

this is the thread for talking about The Original Founding Fathers Of Our Uniquely American Experiment In Personal Freedom, Who Are All Cool Except For The Ones Who Disagreed With The Cool Ones Which Was All Of Them, Depending Upon Who You Ask

gently caress long OPs

i, for one, am a tremendous whore for HBO's John Adams because its primarily a film-nerd's dream of a long form dramatic series about a lawyer's professional life in colonial america, secondarily an utterly unromantic view of the revolution and its purportedly heroic leading figures as well as some of the unsung diplomatic moves which arguably may or may not have allowed it space to do its thing, and tertiarily a venue for Paul Giamatti to shout at Hillary Clinton's self-appointed historical stand-in about intervention in Syria or maybe France. idk, we as a nation seem with an ocean on either contested border never really seem to get away from the conversation in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWBs46USqE

quaternarily it has the best depiction of historically accurate dentistry in cinema. especially in versailles. you can smell the periodontal disease through the screen. yeesh. i am basically starting this thread as a safe space to effuse about it to an embarassing degree.

here's some heartstoppingly congenial conversation to prime the pump, as it were!!!! at the very least this saves the saudi arabia thread from talking about the founding fathers more!

you're an alright poster but there's this perpetually shocked and reactive tone pervading your constituent posts--usually framed around a groundless declarative statement of some kind--about current events in general and this is a good example of it regarding past events in particular.

instead of "this dude's rear end is terminally chapped, gently caress that guy and his rashy, smelly-yet-dry rear end" you should be like "why is john adams such a prick? what's that guy's damage?" and the answers to that are probably really interesting and humanizing, and fill in a lot of gaps in what would otherwise be a seriously confusing narrative of events.

so just do that, but for everything IRL and offline, forever. there's no money in it, you will receive no recognition, there is no prize of any kind that you wouldn't have otherwise received anyway through social networking. but you'll have a seemingly precognitive sense for human bullshit after a decade and, more importantly, be really fun to talk to in bars. though won't get laid, not that way anyway.

but you repeat yourself, lmao

I mostly making a hyperbolic statement for (my lovely) humors sake. Adams was complex as gently caress. but i like him. though i like his son a little more because he was interesting and pretty progressive for his time even compared to his old man.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Serious question, would any of the founders actually be on board with Donald Trump's administration and actions?

Half the founding fathers would have a stroke on the spot to see the usa on the world stage such as it is, before they even found out what a reality tv show was, before they even found out who was sitting in what was originally a fairly checked executive seat.

This is why founding father discussion is interesting. As opposed to *whips out pocket Constitution at the democratic convention* poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Half the founding fathers would have a stroke on the spot to see the usa on the world stage such as it is, before they even found out what a reality tv show was, before they even found out who was sitting in what was originally a fairly checked executive seat.

This is why founding father discussion is interesting. As opposed to *whips out pocket Constitution at the democratic convention* poo poo.

i like to think Franklin would adapt to modern times.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"puritans" is also a valid answer, but please be reminded that the puritans were shooed out of europe for being serial rapists who worshipped money and a mix of calvinist and whatever the gently caress out of the hundred of protestant fracture sects are

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its probably the lack-of-slavery thing that would freak then it the most, and then you tell them about the civil war, and they might just die

But that's okay, because gently caress them

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like to think Franklin would adapt to modern times.

Franklin stands in amber, astride time--loving it.

another point in favor of hbo's john adams: you get to see franklin cuck the king of france whilst wearing an utterly personage-inappropriate coonskin cap. i mean come on. come on.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

all the founding fatehrs were gay (in a bad way) and sucked i hate them im glad theyre in hell

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thomas paine was alright

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yandat posted:

thomas paine was alright
:hai:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

another point in favor of hbo's john adams: you get to see franklin cuck the king of france whilst wearing an utterly personage-inappropriate coonskin cap. i mean come on. come on.

I'm gonna watch this now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yandat posted:

thomas paine was alright

He invented basic income

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

didnt the coon skin cap become a fad in france then.

Yandat posted:

thomas paine was alright

thats loving bullshit. he was loving amazing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
is it true benjamin franklin called his dick big ben

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt the coon skin cap become a fad in france then.

thats loving bullshit. he was loving amazing.

it's one of the best bits of the adams/franklin relationship

Adams has admired Franklin as a Great American of Science from afar for years, actually meets the guy when they're ambassadors to France, and he's this fat horny lush who doesn't speak two words of French wearing a coonskin cap because the French chicks go loving wild for it

and the French love him

Adams' u-turn on Franklin is quick, absolute, and probably an appreciable fraction of why he decides England is a better strategic ally than France later in life

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Adams was cool. His son was even cooler.

RandomPauI posted:

God no. The founders all liked to cosplay as Roman senators from the Republic era, and they preferred to talk poo poo about each other anonymously through pamphlets they printed and distributed among political allies, not anything as debased as Twitter. Andrew Jackson was basically the closest any founder came to Trump -- a wealthy charlatan masquerading as a common man and appealing to the rabble to overthrow the establishment -- and whichever founder was alive long enough to witness him hated Jackson's guts.

Here's other poo poo the founders would flip out about :
No slavery
A huge loving standing army
An empire!
Women voting
The Constitution still being used

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

John Adams was cool. His son was even cooler.

The Constitution still being used

yeah. i am always amused at the conservatives deifying the constitution even though 1. they mean the bill of rights and have probaly never read either or the federalist papers 2. most of delegates kinda viewed it as an ok stopgap compromise at best.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

I think the Old Fuckers would be surprised as hell to see the Union still standing 240 years later.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jefferson bad

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Nov 26, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Kościuszko!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
was kind of an idiot with his four contradictory wills but hey the one where he wanted all his america assets to go to freeing and educating slaves would've been pretty cool if it had actually been his legal will still

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the abolition of slavery wouldnt actually have been that surprising to the founding fathers, abolitionism was an active political movement in the anglosphere at the time of the revolution, a few of the northern states (PA, VT) abolished soon after independence and Britain banned the slave trade worldwide in 1807, the same year the US banned slave imports. the idea of a black president would have 100% blown the founding fathers minds though, even lincoln was a big old racist

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

all the founding fathers sucked rear end except franklin, who wasn't an outstanding human being or anything but was at least fun

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

theyre responsible for creating the us and therefore suck rear end!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Modern American posted:

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."

Founding Father posted:

Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

old ben franklin is an expert on french taints tbh, i'd trust him on the subject at least

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hbo's john adams is good

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Hamilton was one of the first american leaders to explicitly gently caress over the working man in favor of the bond holders.

Soldiers of the revolutionary war were paid in bonds redeemable as soon as the United States was able to cash them. That took a few years. Soldiers, who are not rich, needed cash and could not afford to wait, so most of them sold their bonds to speculators at 10-20% face value.

Madison was in favor of paying the soldiers no matter what they did with the bonds, because it was right thing to do. Hamilton, being a colossal piece of poo poo, argued that no, it was soldiers' own fault for not having faith in America, and so only the bondholders were paid and the speculators made out like bandits. Sound familiar?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Nov 26, 2017

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Hamilton was one of the first american leaders to explicitly gently caress over the working man in favor of the bond holders.

Soldiers of the revolutionary war were paid in bonds redeemable as soon as the United States was able to cash them. That took a few years. Soldiers, who are not rich, needed cash and could not afford to wait, so they most of them sold their bonds to speculators at 10-20% face value.

Madison was in favor of paying the soldiers no matter what they did with the bonds, because it was right thing to do. Hamilton, being a colossal piece of poo poo, argued that no, it was soldiers' own fault for not having faith in America, and so only the bondholders were paid and the speculators made out like bandits. Sound familiar?

Bonus Army.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

wait franklin though the Red Race was also superior? lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

hbo's john adams is good

Speaking of awkward moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n725zX3zIk0

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Ed Burke: Rights are a social construction, shaped by history and power relatio--

Tom Paine: RIGHTS come from GOD, Not the GOVERNMENT!!!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Soldiers of the revolutionary war were paid in bonds redeemable as soon as the United States was able to cash them. That took a few years. Soldiers, who are not rich, needed cash and could not afford to wait, so most of them sold their bonds to speculators at 10-20% face value.

paying soldiers without bonds sounds like a recipe for massive fraud in an era without ID or social security

also they were all traitors to the crown and deserved to eat dirt, kiss my loyalist rear end yankee scum

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

wait franklin though the Red Race was also superior? lol

by 18th century standards that makes him basically gandhi

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

for jefferson:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Whorelord posted:

for jefferson:

This made me look it up, and apparently Sally Hemings was 3/4 white- her dad and maternal grandfather were both white slaveowners. This begs the question- was there a magic point after x many generations of master-slave boning where people would eventually say, "okay this is ridiculous, this is a full-on white person and it's weird for them to be a slave"?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

General Dog posted:

This made me look it up, and apparently Sally Hemings was 3/4 white- her dad and maternal grandfather were both white slaveowners. This begs the question- was there a magic point after x many generations of master-slave boning where people would eventually say, "okay this is ridiculous, this is a full-on white person and it's weird for them to be a slave"?

mary chestnut talks a lot about this, basically there wasn't, but there was this weird liminal space where feelings and treatment of mixed race folk got mixed up and hyopcritical and a lot of very awkward situations were tactically ignored in favor of keeping social calm and preserving the chattel system.

quote:

It has also been documented that on innumerable occasions, that white woman also had affairs with enslaved black men. A divorce petition from Virginia reads: that a Norfolk white man asserted in 1835 that his wife had “lived for the last six or seven years and continues to live in an open adultery with a Negro man…”

Often Sexual relations between enslaved African men and white women went undetected because the children resulting from such unions were light enough to pass for white. One White man testified that when his white wife first gave birth to a mulatto he “did not at first doubt it to be his, notwithstanding its darkness of color, and its unusual appearance.”

One example that will surely give you a chuckle was how one white woman in the eighteenth century Virginia who had a mulatto child convinced her husband that the child was dark because someone had cast a spell on her. He believed this story for 18 years.

and of course mixed race escaped slaves worked that for all it was worth, because the thing about a stupidly racist system is if you pass, you pass

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Nov 26, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

General Dog posted:

sally hemings was jeffersons dead wife's sister and supposedly looked very similar too her. its all very weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

General Dog posted:

better question: is there a term to describe someone's race that's funnier than "quadroon"?

• Locked thread