Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worst thing I learned about anal fistulas was that after Louis XIV had one, the French aristocracy all had one because it was 'in style' and became trendy. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rand alPaul posted:

The worst thing I learned about anal fistulas was that after Louis XIV had one, the French aristocracy all had one because it was 'in style' and became trendy. :stonklol:

you know as much of piece of poo poo Louis XIV was. i can't help but admire how he tricked and used the aristocracy. he took all the power and centralized it with himself and then made versailles a giant bee's nest where all these inbred fucks would compete and fight with each other for the privilege of wiping his rear end or watching him take a poo poo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rand alPaul posted:

wait what the gently caress

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

speaking of revolutionary france: Lafayette! Hero of two worlds? Betrayer of the people? Both? Neither?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Al! posted:

no way reagan knew much

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

sat on my keys! posted:

speaking of revolutionary france: Lafayette! Hero of two worlds? Betrayer of the people? Both? Neither?

Well meaning but ultimately misinformed lib who was not willing to take the steps necessary to actually create a revolution that worked for the people and not the elites

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sat on my keys! posted:

guy who was all for casting off the oppressive chains of british monarchical rule, on the grounds that the oppressive chains of french monarchical rule were sweet as hell

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you know as much of piece of poo poo Louis XIV was. i can't help but admire how he tricked and used the aristocracy. he took all the power and centralized it with himself and then made versailles a giant bee's nest where all these inbred fucks would compete and fight with each other for the privilege of wiping his rear end or watching him take a poo poo.

yeah because it owned

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ze Pollack posted:

guy who was all for casting off the oppressive chains of british monarchical rule, on the grounds that the oppressive chains of french monarchical rule were sweet as hell

well he was part of removing the oppresive chains of french monarchical rule as well

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the original trumpcelerationist louis xiv

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the only founding father i give a poo poo about is paul giamatti

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

it's good to be the king

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fuligin posted:

Re: John Adams, I wanted to like it, but giamatti seems like he has really limited range I dunno i think he's overrated

He doesn't have a lot of range but this one fit him.

They were all pretty petty the more you read about them. It's how people acted back then, especially powerful men like the fouding fathers.

Also, re: slavery, slavery apologia got a lot more elucidated after these guys were all dead. Some of them basically understood that their thinker-citizen-aristocrats needed slaves to be able to spend all their time talking about how wealth doesn't matter, but it didn't really come out in force until the 1820s-1830s when you have people literally saying "the best way to protect liberty is to have a servile race, and this race just so happens to be well suited to being servile".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when did the biblical defense of slavery become commonplace? around the same time?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

get that OUT of my face posted:

when did the biblical defense of slavery become commonplace? around the same time?

Yeah, about the same time- basically you have an intellectual mobilization as slaveholders in the US start to feel like the British might end slavery everywhere and that their institution was under threat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

He doesn't have a lot of range but this one fit him.

They were all pretty petty the more you read about them. It's how people acted back then, especially powerful men like the fouding fathers.

Also, re: slavery, slavery apologia got a lot more elucidated after these guys were all dead. Some of them basically understood that their thinker-citizen-aristocrats needed slaves to be able to spend all their time talking about how wealth doesn't matter, but it didn't really come out in force until the 1820s-1830s when you have people literally saying "the best way to protect liberty is to have a servile race, and this race just so happens to be well suited to being servile".

yeah most of the hardcore "slavery is actually GOOD and JUST and the BIBLE SAYS SO, and THEY are happy and better off or they would cause violence and monkeyshines mischief because they have child brains" poo poo comes from around that time. most of the founders were dead/dying at that point and the US had pretty much cemented itself and cotton was becoming king. so the south needed a reason to keep people in bonds.

get that OUT of my face posted:

about then if i remeber. it had been used before but cotton is king era was when it was full use.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

virginia planters held on for a while to the idea that slavery is bad and we should get rid of it, eventually, but right now we need to perpetuate it in order to destroy it and also those drat yankees won't stop telling us what to do

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys how about that Gouverneur Morris?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think this is the thread that recommended HBO John Adams and that was great, thank you.

Paul Giamatti is definitely limited range but good-hearted shmuck definitely works for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

Hey guys how about that Gouverneur Morris?

what book is that and yeah morris was awesome.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what book is that and yeah morris was awesome.

The Slave Power by Leonard L. Richards.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

franklin wanted to expel the german immigrants to make america great again, and history proves him right

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

franklin wanted to expel the german immigrants to make america great again, and history proves him right

same

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thank you to this thread for reminding me how much I like John Adams and how much I loathe Alexander Hamilton

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Well at least this makes it so we will kinda sorta be able to pin another world war on the Germans when Trump fat fingers the coke button and hits the nuke button instead

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

america's original instincts on germans and irish were correct

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
As much as I hate ALL white people, early Germans and Irish were probably the best. Anglos and Scots were privileged assholes.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Early French were immoral pig fuckers. Early Dutch were greedy bastards.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

wow people saying my ancestors should've been sent back, now I know how them there minorities feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think this is the thread that recommended HBO John Adams and that was great, thank you.

Paul Giamatti is definitely limited range but good-hearted shmuck definitely works for him.

He was a great villain in Love & Mercy

• Locked thread