Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Season was okayish, first third was actually really fun.

Now let's see if all four engines are closer together next year, and what will be the first Halo-induced injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: arg, sorry, fell for fake news

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Official FIA ABU DABI Race Ratings

The race was garbage solely due to the new F1 logo which means F1 is dead 0/10

Official Formula 1 Season 2018 Season ratings

1 Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes 363 - Wow another FWDC (Fraudulent World Driver Champion) from Britain, the home of bad teeth and fat ugly people. #megacheat 0/10
2 Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari 317 - WOW WHAT A TOP SEASON FROM THE TOP GUY FOR THE BEST TEAM WHICH IS SCUDERIA FERRARI PRIDE OF ITALY, CHEATED AGAIN OUT OF A WDC BY CHEATING BRITISH SCUM 11/10
3 Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes 305 - I think Mercedes should be banned for trying to enter a robot instead of a person, if they were an honest German team they wouldn't do this but because of all the bad british infuence they managed to get away with it due Formula 1 being ruined by terrible fat ugly americans who eat horse burgers. gently caress liberty for killing F1 and making the logo bad. 2/10
4 Kimi Räikkönen FIN Ferrari 205 - Another fantastic season from Kimi 'The Iceman i've poo poo myself I know what I'm doing' Räikkönen, cheated out of 2nd place in the WDC because of cheating british frauds. 10/10
5 Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 200 - Terrible, garbage, trash, basura, spazzatura . All fine adjectives to describe this terrible driver, who is slowly turning into almost a big a bitch as massive bitch Mark Webber 1/10
6 Max Verstappen NED Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 168 - WOW WHAT A BOY AMAZING SEASON FROM THE DUTCH MASTER MAX 'THE MAX MAN' VERSTAPPEN, CANT WAIT TO SEE HIM DRIVING FOR THE SCUD ONE DAY 10/10
7 Sergio Perez MEX Force India Mercedes 100 Hola, estoy tratando a escribir algo en español sobre Sergio Pérez. Pero la gramática en español es muy difícil porque estoy retrasado 8/10
8 Esteban Ocon FRA Force India Mercedes 87 I think he's pretty good, but I don't know if he's SCUD GOOD 7/10
9 Carlos Sainz ESP Renault 54 Looks like Carlos Sainz Jr is better than bad german fraud Nico Hulkenberg 9/10
10 Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault 43 This guy sucks rear end and is taking up a seat of the only honest brit Jolyon Palmer 4/10
11 Felipe Massa BRA Williams Mercedes 43 Wow what a final drive for the Brazilian Sensation, the new Nelson Piquet SR, the first ever moral WDC who was cruelly cheated out of a WDC by fat ugly cheating brits. Felipe Massa wow, what a guy we will all miss him 10/10
12 Lance Stroll CAN Williams Mercedes 40 AMAZING SEASON FROM THE CANADIAN SENSATION, ALMOST BEATING SCUD LEGEND MASSA IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON, PHWOOOAR THAT WET QUALI AT MONZA AND THAT FANTASTIC DRIVE AT THAT LITERAL DICTATORSHIP COUNTRY THAT THREW MONEY AT BIG BERNIE WOW JUST WOW WOW WOW!/10
13 Romain Grosjean FRA Haas Ferrari 28 gently caress OFF 2/10
14 Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas Ferrari 19 At the start of the season I was calling him keven fagnussen and then he told noted bad driver hulkenberg to suck his balls. Now I think he's really cool and I want to be his friend. 8/10
15 Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren Honda 17 Failnando Badlolzo, is going to manage to loose the Indy 500, Lemans 24 and the F1 WDC in the space of one year what a guy. Shouldn'tve left the scud! 4/10
16 Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren Honda 13 This guy is better than Alonso 9/10
17 Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault 8 UNFAIRLY CHEATED OUT OF A DRIVE, MILES BETTER THAN FRAUDENBERG. SAD 10/10
18 Pascal Wehrlein GER Sauber Ferrari 5 Please pm me if you can tell me something about this guy, I think he gave Vettel a lift back to the pits once ?/10
19 Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso 5 god I dont care
20 Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber Ferrari 0 GOD I DONT CARE
21 Pierre Gasly FRA Toro Rosso 0 Good rivals punnable name 8/10
22 Antonio Giovinazzi ITA Sauber Ferrari 0 Did this guy race? He's Italian so he must be amazing 10/10
23 Brendon Hartley Another good rivals pun name guy, has a long face. Possibly related to Barnacle Jim? Does he gently caress his bike? does he like to have burly men work his rear end over with dildoes? From newzealand so possibly? 7/10

Here is your non-personal PM: Wehrlein is a whiny little bitch that won DTM by driving rather good for couple of races, then demanding other drivers backing up to give him DRS constantly so he could become champion. AUDI sent an Audi to kill him, but failed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsd4vjJND24&t=20s, and then fired the guy who drove that Audi). So he won, ended up in F1, and yeah....there's that.

He might not be as bad as Palmer, but I still think that a good year of Formula 3 plus a DTM championship (where basically seven drivers did everything so that he won) might be misleading.

That's my meltdown of the day

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 29, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Thanks for the great contribution! 😎👍 I vaugely remembered Audi giving orders to punt someone off, didnt realise it was him though!

The thing is: when AUDI motorsport chief yelled "Timo, schieb in raus" (Timo (Scheider), push him off) into the mic, it was what most non-Mercedes fans felt watching the race. The way Mercedes drove to get Wehrlein to champion was disgusting (in this scene, Wehrlein was just given another spot from another Mercedes driver that then started to block Timo Scheider). To the point, that Ex-Mercedes-Motorsport-Chief Norbert Haug - who is a drat cool guy, super defensive when it comes to Mercedes to not come across as a hurt bitch because Wolf threw him out...he's just supercool - even started to question the motives of Mercedes. That DTM season was disgusting imo. The Audi sport chief who instructed Timo Scheider to kick Wehrlein off got a live-long probation from DTM pit-lane (allthough he appeared again this year) and of course was relieved of his position at AUDI DTM Motorsports operation.

I am a loving big BMW fan, but if some other team wins fair and square, it's all good, and I even had tears in my eyes this year applauding Rene Rast for winning the DTM for AUDI in an Audi (and I hate AUDI and Audis), but the way Wehrlein won simply wasn't impressive imo. Mercedes had an awesome car that year, a very good driver with Wehrlein, and then decided it is appropriate to make the seven other Mercedes drivers Wehrlein's bitch after about two or three races (of ten).

gently caress that poo poo!

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 29, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

Either Pascal Wehrlein is actually poo poo or Marcus Ericsson is just as good and we've all sorely underestimated The Big Swede.

Wehrlein is officially off my "one for hte future" list.

Wehrlein is mighty intelligent, I'd give him that. So I guess he might be the right stuff for more complex races like WEC. Due to this, he also knows how to drive tactially, plus he appears to be a very technical and clean driver, the fight with whoever-I-don't-remember-that-race-was-so-boring-but-I-guess-it-was-a-haas showed that.

I think he got shoehorned into an F1 cockpit (and maybe a DTM championship) by Wolf (who is his manager, as well as Botas'), and I am not sure he is at the right spot in F1.

I am sure he is drat fast, very intelligent, and a very clean driver, I haven't seen an Magnussen-like poo poo from him ever.

But I won't miss him in F1, and think he would make an awesome WEC or - if he fancies those open wheels - Formula E driver.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My main memory of that incident was that it was the only interesting to happen in DTM for like 10 years and everyone got banned for it or something, presumably for the sin of having something actually happen in a DTM race

I don't wanna start a DTM story here (actuall am a bit sorry that DTM is non-present here....current season was awesome), but DTM is a cool and good series. It went through a lot of poo poo, and they tried many things to make the series close, which all worked (sometimes less than 0.2 seconds between pole and p20) but of course felt artificial. Racing was always good, and this year was awesome...one of the best racing seasons ever.

So if anyone is interested in hearing more about DTM, I'd write an effort post. If not, also cool.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I actually have heard DTM has been OK the last few years though apparently nobody goes to the races anymore. Also the rise of WTCC and the NASCAR xFinity/Nationwide Series mean that DTM is no longer the worst racing series on the entire planet.

DTM managed to improve on the attendance as well. I haven't seen so many people at Hockenheim (including last F1 race) in years than what was present at the second Hockenheim race this year. IIRC, it was a record for the DTM, but I have to check....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

The problem with DTM is that it's a poor mans SuperGT, the cars aren't as exiting and I'd say the same for the tracks. Plus the lack of Anime cars is a real put off, it's just a shame that SuperGT is always on at like 5am in Europe so I always miss the streams.

The track selection is okay, imo. Hockenheim is poo poo imo, but Norisring is always awesome, as well as Zandvort and Austria. Nürburging...yeah...hmmm....potential for a snore fest, but also had great races. Lausitzring is a drat cool track imo, with the long straight, and the very technical infield.

Moscow, yeah, can't remember, races can't start there if Putin happens to fly over the track.....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh , btw, SuperGT and DTM have the same ruleset starting 2019

SuperGT cars where doing showruns in DTM this year, and DTM cars in SuperGT.

Both share many parts already, and DTM will sport the same V4 turbo engine starting 2019, so that SuperGT cars can start in DTM, and DTM cars can start in SuperGT. They already share the monocock and many other parts.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm not sure I used monocock correctly....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's "Monocoque" but your spelling is funnier.

:ohdear:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Actually I tell a lie the track selection is pretty good, also dont they come to brands sometimes. Super GT has more interesting cars though, plus they have GT300 category which is pretty drat diverse. Also Germany need to embrace Anime cars.

This is a cool and good opinion

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

DTM sucks
ANIME GT owns

this though....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Do we not like Jutta Kleinschmidt?

Of course, nearly as much as Ellen Lohr.

And it has to be said: Rachel Frey did drive some good races in ADAC GT Masters the last two years.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rhopunzel posted:

someone needs to do one with pascal wehrlein and elliot rodger

:tipshat:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: also similar driving style

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ferrari pillow man

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

F1 should give everyone exactly the same car and ban pitstops and different tires, so that only the raw talent makes a difference. That would be awesome and has never been done before, especially not in supporting series where everyone drives exactly the same car on the same tire and no pitstops are happening.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

You can't have a hybrid formula that involves loving burning oil. Like that's just insanely bad for marketing.

Imo, you also shouldn't have a racing series that defines itself as the pinnacle of motorsport where you have a limit on how much fuel you can burn during a certain time. Give them a total amount of fuel to burn for a race or a given number of laps, but let them use it however they want. Let them rev high if they want to/think it is benefical to their strategy.

Of course that's just my terrible opinion, but I think it is one of the rules that doesn't fit F1. If I can only burn 100 litres per hour (calculated down to a quarter of a second), and only have to drive three laps in quali, eight litres (or whatever it used to be last year) of oil suddenly become incredibly interesting to burn if you can burn them as you wish.

Fix the cause that is creating these hacks, not only the hacks.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

There's no other way you're going to have a turbo engine allowed with this amount of freedom of design. The FIA would be scared to poo poo that the power figures would skyrocket like they did in the 80s. It's the best solution to putting a power cap on a turbo engine that's available within the confines of reality that isn't some really crude blunt instrument.

Out of interest: can't you do the same by limiting the amount of air the engine can suck/turbofuck into it, similarly to how it is done with many BoP series? That's an honest question, because I'm a total idiot when it comes to turbo engines, obviously.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix posted:

Kamui Kobayashi owns.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

You would need a blow off valve as well. It's a fairly crude solution that limits what you can play with in terms of the turbo system though.

Okay, I understand that, as they currently only have the wastegate...but still, wouldn't that be a solution that - as you say - limits what you can play with, instead of making it interesting to burn motor oil?

I'm far, far away from beeing an engine expert, that's why I'm asking these stupid questions. Following F1 for many years, I just got the feeling that most of the times banning the result of a maybe not perfectly thought out ruleset was often worse than fixing the ruleset.

Then again, I actually love all these little hacks the teams come up with, as long as they don't lead to three, four or even more years of domination while the FIA tries to murder Newey tries to ban everything/make building Yachts more interesting.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

The fuel flow thing is literally the best idea they've had for organically managing engine power levels in decades. The fact that thermal efficiency for these engines has gradually climbed above 50% shows that it's working while still encouraging development.

Okay, that makes it clear where I thought obviously very wrong. When I red that Mercedes is somewhere above 60% or even 65% of thermal efficiency (which was deemed nearly impossible, as I understood it) is impressive

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Let's say we go with your solution. The focus is just going to be on driving a ram air effect and rising the system pressure to overcome the throttle restriction. You put a blow off valve on it and then the thought turns to okay how do I get it to burn richer so there's more energy in the combustion chamber on detonation.

There's always a work around to any limit. The genius of a well enforced fuel flow limit is that there is intact a theoretical limit to the power that can be used per second and it's the engineer's job to extract the maximum amount of that.

Out of interest: couldn't you limit the air ram effect by reducing the allowed diameter of the air intake, like it is done in some series? This wouldn't work for turbos, I suppose, only for naturally aspirated engines, or am I wrong?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Stroll will help Kubica stem the trophy on the podium next year when they constantly come in first and second....at least until the mind games start

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

I'd love to have Webber in Williams instead of Stroll. Hell I'd even take Coulthard.

And I don't mean in like a "during their peak" sort of way either I mean exactly how they are right now.

Webber is cool and good! There, I said it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Theophany posted:

Mk2 1.8. Mk1s are either expensive for a good one or a maddening descent into suicide termed a 'project.'

Collecting it in a couple of weeks time!

good color. There's a BMW Z1 next to my block in exactly the same color, and I wan't it, but the owner won't sell. Good color. Tony Marshal drove a BMW 8series in that color (the interior leather was the same color), it looked/still looks cool. Did I mention that this is a good color? Color good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Theophany posted:

Usually all the things. Like selling it on to the next dumb schmuck.

You don't sell good cars. You drive them and keep them running until you die find another cool car and then simply put them in the barn and care about them while never driving them again so you can brag about how many cars you have and that you are a true car collector like those rich guys.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Theophany posted:

If I had deep enough pockets I would've kept the last shitheap going just because I loved it so much. I totalled up the repair bills today for my tax return and I was like £4,000 into a car I bought for £9,000 and almost spent another £2,500 on replacing £80 worth or rubbers. In fairness, that last repair would've made it good for another 100k miles but at that point you're almost double into what you bought the thing for in less than a year.

I sold two cars I should have never sold and miss to this very day, (540i and a 3,5 litre V6 Pajero (short version)) only because people told me it is "not okay" to own more than one or two cars. I never sold another car since then (apart from a Chrysler 300m, which was cool for cruising around, but not cool enough to keep), I just find new places to hide them now so people can't tell me I'm clogging up all the parking spaces. I'm a stupid car jerk who spends too much on (old) cars, ama

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have 3. One has been basically relegated to track use only however, and the other is used only in winter.

nearly same. I have one that people have to pry from my dead hands, but I don't drive more than 500km a year, because it is the best car that was ever made and no other car comes close. Another stupid sport hybrid to show how I care about the planet and how trendy and loving hip I am for which I am too cheap to buy cold weather tires, plus another one that destroys the planet by beeing a SUV (or SAC, how they call it), which I drive when I need a car that is somewhat usefull.

Oh, and a very old 6series, to convince people I have an aquired taste while they slowly shake their head and back away, whispering to themselves how stupid I am

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Nobody is buying a black and white car. That's a poor example.

what if it also has blue parts?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

this triggers me so much

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Welcome to this thread.

:tipshat:

no, wait, more like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJehlr1tEw

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix posted:

MGSV was a masterpiece. Truly the high-water mark of the current era.

I played that and it was great, then they didn't let me finish it. A sad day.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

I have never played a call of duty game

those are actually very good last words, now that I think about it. I wish I could die that way, but it's no longer possible :/

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So, MotoGP gets it's own electric series.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iospace posted:

JPM was fantastic with them.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imagine beeing at Ferrari right now.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So I finally got the chance to see the Williams movie.

I often heard how dedicated Sir Frank Williams is regarding racing, but that he basically only has one mode of operation and that is "sleep, manage racing team, eat, manage racing team, sleep" was new to me. Quite some drastic quotes in there, like "work first, family comes seconds, those are the rules". He really is someone very special.

I also loved the moment when Claire asked him what a newspaper costs nowadays, and he answers "5 pence, I guess, I heard the got expensive".

Is the McLaren movie worth it? Anyone seen that and can recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Where do you stand on macaroni and cheese?

are they made in a cast iron pan?

• Locked thread