Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Open source guru Eric S. Raymond followed up his post on alternatives to C by explaining why he won't touch C++ any more, calling the story "a launch point for a disquisition on the economics of computer-language design, why some truly unfortunate choices got made and baked into our infrastructure, and how we're probably going to fix them."

quote:

My problem with [C++] is that it piles complexity on complexity upon chrome upon gingerbread in an attempt to address problems that cannot actually be solved because the foundational abstractions are leaky. It's all very well to say "well, don't do that" about things like bare pointers, and for small-scale single-developer projects (like my eqn upgrade) it is realistic to expect the discipline can be enforced. Not so on projects with larger scale or multiple devs at varying skill levels (the case I normally deal with)... C is flawed, but it does have one immensely valuable property that C++ didn't keep -- if you can mentally model the hardware it's running on, you can easily see all the way down. If C++ had actually eliminated C's flaws (that is, been type-safe and memory-safe) giving away that transparency might be a trade worth making. As it is, nope.
He calls Java a better attempt at fixing C's leaky abstractions, but believes it "left a huge hole in the options for systems programming that wouldn't be properly addressed for another 15 years, until Rust and Go." He delves into a history of programming languages, touching on Lisp, Python, and programmer-centric languages (versus machine-centric languages), identifying one of the biggest differentiators as "the presence or absence of automatic memory management." Falling machine-resource costs led to the rise of scripting languages and Node.js, but Raymond still sees Rust and Go as a response to the increasing scale of projects.

quote:

Eventually we will have garbage collection techniques with low enough latency overhead to be usable in kernels and low-level firmware, and those will ship in language implementations. Those are the languages that will truly end C's long reign. There are broad hints in the working papers from the Go development group that they're headed in this direction... Sorry, Rustaceans -- you've got a plausible future in kernels and deep firmware, but too many strikes against you to beat Go over most of C's range. No garbage collection, plus Rust is a harder transition from C because of the borrow checker, plus the standardized part of the API is still seriously incomplete (where's my select(2), again?).

The only consolation you get, if it is one, is that the C++ fans are screwed worse than you are. At least Rust has a real prospect of dramatically lowering downstream defect rates relative to C anywhere it's not crowded out by Go; C++ doesn't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hm well now we know C++ is good, and so is Rust

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Captain Foo posted:

hm well now we know C++ is good, and so is Rust

esr is like an oracle that tells the opposite of the truth

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Eventually we will have garbage collection techniques with low enough latency overhead to be usable in kernels and low-level firmware, and those will ship in language implementations. Those are the languages that will truly end C's long reign. There are broad hints in the working papers from the Go development group that they're headed in this direction...

ask twenty years of jvm research how well that worked out

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yes, esr's opinions are very important

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

TOPS-420 posted:

ask twenty years of jvm research how well that worked out

Microsoft did it with C# (or rather, a variant of C#) in the Midori OS. Then realized they had no use for another OS and threw it away. See: http://joeduffyblog.com/2015/12/19/safe-native-code/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Symbolic Butt posted:

yes, <a small contributor to the game Battle of Wesnoth> opinions are very important

He really hasn't contributed much development on anything from what I can tell.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s because he’s a racist, op.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
eric s rapist

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
does anybody in here actually ship rust code yet? aside from moozilers

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tankakern posted:

Open source guru Eric S. Raymond followed up his post on alternatives to C by explaining why he won't touch C++ any more, calling the story "a launch point for a disquisition on the economics of computer-language design, why some truly unfortunate choices got made and baked into our infrastructure, and how we're probably going to fix them."

He calls Java a better attempt at fixing C's leaky abstractions, but believes it "left a huge hole in the options for systems programming that wouldn't be properly addressed for another 15 years, until Rust and Go." He delves into a history of programming languages, touching on Lisp, Python, and programmer-centric languages (versus machine-centric languages), identifying one of the biggest differentiators as "the presence or absence of automatic memory management." Falling machine-resource costs led to the rise of scripting languages and Node.js, but Raymond still sees Rust and Go as a response to the increasing scale of projects.

The only consolation you get, if it is one, is that the C++ fans are screwed worse than you are. At least Rust has a real prospect of dramatically lowering downstream defect rates relative to C anywhere it's not crowded out by Go; C++ doesn't have that.

stopped clock is right twice a day. c++ sucks big ones, the jvm and java are great. too bad he used up his two chances to be right and then said go is good :lol:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 27, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

esr is a gross creep

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

Fiedler posted:

Microsoft did it with C# (or rather, a variant of C#) in the Midori OS. Then realized they had no use for another OS and threw it away. See: http://joeduffyblog.com/2015/12/19/safe-native-code/

yeah midori is (was?) pretty awesome, too bad it didn't go anywhere. they had to change c# pretty radically to make it work though, with a bunch of added stuff for managing reference capabilities for concurrency safety, emphasis on value types, etc. all this stuff also nicely gives an optimizer a lot of semantic info to work with avoiding spilling stuff on the heap, but even then i think they needed four or five different gcs to make it all work acceptably

go has structs that don't need heap allocations, which is good, but then screws it up with basically unrestricted pointers and weak escape analysis. pass a pointer to a local variable to another function and it goes on the heap. their much-touted new responsive gc uses 70s technology to sacrifice tons of throughput to get there. basically it needs a barrier in all the same places you need a retain/release in a refcounted system, so you get the poor code size and throughput of ARC with the 2x memory overhead of tracing gc. cool?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I would go with "was" to describe Midori. It was dead and buried with the teams scattered by the time Joe Duffy started writing about it. I assume Midori was essentially just a hedge against a hypothetical next generation OS threatening the desktop monopoly.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I doubt Go will every become widely adopted because google seems to have "develop something, market it as the next big thing, swiftly move onto the next thing" as part of their ongoing business plan

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

abigserve posted:

I doubt Go will every become widely adopted because google seems to have "develop something, market it as the next big thing, swiftly move onto the next thing" as part of their ongoing business plan

see also: Dart

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Nah, they'll continue funding golang forever. Unfortunate, too, given that it's a laughably bad language.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
at this point I don't think they ever stop funding anything, they just stop caring about it

ask me how much I enjoy hearing the phrase "it came out of google..."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

abigserve posted:

at this point I don't think they ever stop funding anything, they just stop caring about it

ask me how much I enjoy hearing the phrase "it came out of google..."

didn't they stop funding google fiber?

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

didn't they have some thing where they were going to use air balloons to deliver Internet to the third world? or was that Elon Musk?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
how did the company that invented modern search algorithms employing mostly programmers choose the most SEO-hostile name for their new programming language?

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

creationist believer posted:

how did the company that invented modern search algorithms employing mostly programmers choose the most SEO-hostile name for their new programming language?

because they also employ managers

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

nostradamus predicts java will gain a foothold in systems 10 years after the release of android

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
esr.txt

I think all teachers, day-care staff, and other adults in loco-parentis for groups of children should be required to carry firearms on the job. Maintaining continued proficiency at rapid-reaction tactical shooting should be a condition of their continued employment. Their job is to protect children; if they are not physically, mentally, and morally competent to do that job, they don’t belong in it."

I'd thank you for your offer of employment at Microsoft, except
that it indicates that either you or your research team (or both)
couldn't get a clue if it were pounded into you with baseball bats.

What were you going to do with the rest of your afternoon, offer jobs
to Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds? Or were you going to stick to
something easier, like talking Pope Benedict into presiding at a
Satanist orgy?

If you had bothered to do five seconds of background checking, you
might have discovered that I am the guy who responded to Craig
Mundie's "Who are you?" with "I'm your worst nightmare", and that I've
in fact been something pretty close to your company's worst nightmare
since about 1997. You've maybe heard about this "open source" thing?

You get one guess who wrote most of the theory and propaganda for it
and talked IBM and Wall Street and the Fortune 500 into buying in.
But don't think I'm trying to destroy your company. Oh, no; I'd be
just as determined to do in any other proprietary-software monopoly,
and the community I helped found is well on its way to accomplishing
that goal.

On the day *I* go to work for Microsoft, faint oinking sounds will be
heard from far overhead, the moon will not merely turn blue but
develop polkadots, and hell will freeze over so solid the brimstone
will go superconductive.

But I must thank you for dropping a good joke on my afternoon. On
that hopefully not too far distant day that I piss on Microsoft's
grave, I sincerely hope none of it will splash on you.

Cordially yours,
Eric S. Raymond

if you ever again behave like that kind of disruptive rear end in a top hat in
public, insult me, and jeopardize the interests of our entire tribe,
I'll take it just as personally -- and I will find a way to make you
regret it. Watch your step.

I’m glad we’ve elected a black man president; I’m sorry it’s one who
looks quite so much like a sort of latter-day Manchurian Candidate
programmed by his hard-left associates to hate his own country.

In the U.S., blacks are 12% of the population but commit 50% of
violent crimes; can anyone honestly think this is unconnected to the
fact that they average 15 points of IQ lower than the general
population? That stupid people are more violent is a fact independent
of skin color.

Just the difference in dispersion of the IQ curves for males and
females guarantees that, let alone the significant differences in mean
at spatial visualization and mathematical ability. Removing all the
institutional, social and psychological barriers will not achieve a
1:1 sex ratio in these fields

I bumped into him (Craig Mundie of Microsoft) in an elevator. I
looked at his badge and said, "ah, you work for Microsoft." He looked
back at me and said, "Oh ya, and what do you do?" And I thought it was
some kind of tad dismissive, here is a guy in a suit looking at a
scruffy hacker. . . so I gave him a thousand yard stare and said, "I
am your worst nightmare!"

I’m what PUAs call a “natural”, a man who figured out much of game on
his own and consequently cuts a wide sexual swathe when he cares to.
Not quite the same game they’re playing, however. For one thing, I’ve
never tried to pick up a woman in a bar in my entire life. College
parties when I was a student, yes; SF conventions, neopagan festivals,
SCA events, yes; bars, no. Also, and partly as consequence of where I
hang out, it has been quite unusual for me to hit on women with IQs
below about 120 – and it may well be the case that I’ve never tried to
interest a woman with below-average intelligence. (Er, which is not to
say they don’t notice me; even in middle age I get lots of IOIs from
waitresses and other female service personnel. Any PUA would tell you
this is a predictable and unremarkable consequence of being an alpha
male.)

When I told this story, later, the reaction I got was often something
like this: “WTF? You’re a famously charismatic speaker, you energized
an entire social movement, legions of geeks look up to you, and you’re
surprised you have leadership capability? That is freaking hilarious.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
netcraft confirms that rust is good

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
someone please post esr's opinions on minorities, women and sex so this thread can be gassed in a hurry

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I met him once and he tried to persuade me that the chili pepper was the USA's gift to the world, somehow :patriot: welp that's my story

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gone Fission posted:

didn't they have some thing where they were going to use air balloons to deliver Internet to the third world? or was that Elon Musk?

I think that was facebook

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
is esr worse than his sycophants

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I am excited for the garbage collected future

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LinYutang posted:

I am excited for the garbage collected future

When someone goes and deletes all of you're posts?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

TOPS-420 posted:

go has structs that don't need heap allocations, which is good, but then screws it up with basically unrestricted pointers and weak escape analysis. pass a pointer to a local variable to another function and it goes on the heap. their much-touted new responsive gc uses 70s technology to sacrifice tons of throughput to get there. basically it needs a barrier in all the same places you need a retain/release in a refcounted system, so you get the poor code size and throughput of ARC with the 2x memory overhead of tracing gc. cool?

yeah cool, for services id probably choose go's performance with go's gc latency in java if i could get it
but i suspect the performance hit would be worse because java tends to do more pointer chasing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fiedler posted:

I would go with "was" to describe Midori. It was dead and buried with the teams scattered by the time Joe Duffy started writing about it. I assume Midori was essentially just a hedge against a hypothetical next generation OS threatening the desktop monopoly.

it was a ballmer vanity project to keep certain engineers busy and satya came in and cleaned house

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

suffix posted:

yeah cool, for services id probably choose go's performance with go's gc latency in java if i could get it
but i suspect the performance hit would be worse because java tends to do more pointer chasing

shenandoah is supposed to be real low gc latency

u can try it in fedora

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i suspect the oracle jvm's gc latency probably beats the poo poo out of go's gc latency in any event

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

George posted:

is esr worse than his sycophants

he’s honestly pretty bad

George
Nov 27, 2004

he is so loving bad

I guess the question is whether and how much he would be less bad without his twisted fan club telling him every rancid idea he shits up is genius

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
he was pretty bad before the fan club

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

see also his “participation” in ncurses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

i guess the inevitable truth is that the world would be a lot better off had he never been born

• Locked thread