Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

oh yeah, the argument I'm refuting is "dudes a great programmer but definitely a neckbeardy racist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tbh if the claim is hes a great programmer, whoever should prove that he is.

extraordinary etc

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Are you guys saying that "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" is not worth reading? They recommended it at one point in undergrad, forgot which class and what context.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximo Roboto posted:

Are you guys saying that "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" is not worth reading? They recommended it at one point in undergrad, forgot which class and what context.

not mine, op

instead we each read one chapter of code complete and presented to the class

also like one chapter of mythical man month but everyone got hung up on how old all the practices were

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maximo Roboto posted:

there are some good ideas in there but you can get them from the wikipedia article and avoid buying the book easy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

on the other hand, the idiotic many eyeballs => fewer bugs maxim has damaged open sores ever since

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Maximo Roboto posted:

idk if this is sincere, no shade to you. writing is the only thing he has going for him and he’s a part of the culture for better or worse. read it if you want but don’t expect insights and don’t pay for it. many stem profs will slip artefacts of nerd culture into their lectures, do you also think dilbert or xkcd are worthwhile by that metric?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

Slashdot U

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Toady posted:

Slashdot U

- the post 9/11 internet, taught by professor jon katz
- letters to the editor 101: you insensitive clod
- no programming or computer classes lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

idk if this is sincere, no shade to you. writing is the only thing he has going for him and he’s a part of the culture for better or worse. read it if you want but don’t expect insights and don’t pay for it. many stem profs will slip artefacts of nerd culture into their lectures, do you also think dilbert or xkcd are worthwhile by that metric?

dilbert and xkcd suck rear end and so does esr hth

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
randall munroe is a deece human being though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xkcd is retroactively acceptable and in fact necessary because without it goatkcd could not exist

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as always, the only people more insufferable than the fans of <nerd thing> are all the tiresome edgelords complaining that anyone could possibly like <nerd thing>

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im a big fat antifan of rjmccall lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

rjmccall posted:

as always, the only people more insufferable than the fans of <nerd thing> are all the tiresome edgelords complaining that anyone could possibly like <nerd thing>

not remotely unique to nerds. i think anti-fans of tween girl music have to be the worst. i guess they at least mostly have the excuse of being teenagers themselves rather than people who should have outgrown that behavior 10 years ago?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo carboys are the worst, they've had several cars thru their life and researched them and they still think their lovely car is the best

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

not remotely unique to nerds. i think anti-fans of tween girl music have to be the worst. i guess they at least mostly have the excuse of being teenagers themselves rather than people who should have outgrown that behavior 10 years ago?

i love youtube music comments, it's like a window back into a world i'd forgotten about, in which apparently all of rihanna's songs suck right up until they're covered by a white woman (sia fans get some slack for this obv)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

rjmccall posted:

my most recent memory of Slashdot is seeing a pro-pedophilia comment voted +5 Informative

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Toady posted:

my most recent memory of Slashdot is seeing a pro-pedophilia comment voted +5 Informative

look we're cybernauts of the mindscape man, no horizon of thought is forbidden to us

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Toady posted:

same but kuro5hin. that poster was in every article and was never banned despite repeated complaints.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximo Roboto posted:

it's a polemic with no actual evidence or substantiation of his arguments

i really hate this loving essay, it's just so wrong about the basics

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Powaqoatse posted:

all of them, he hasnt programmed anything at all ever i dont think

he's made some good contributions to emacs

which is kinda funny when you think about it. man who doesn't program contributes to programmer's editor.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

from a previous esr thread http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6907

jesus christ

it's only a "honey trap" if you actually do something stupid/disgusting and fall into it. try not being a creep and then no one can blackmail you for being a creep?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

same but kuro5hin. that poster was in every article and was never banned despite repeated complaints.

oh man kuro5hin

whatever happened to that place

also why was kuro5hin?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jesus christ

it's only a "honey trap" if you actually do something stupid/disgusting and fall into it. try not being a creep and then no one can blackmail you for being a creep?

no but see once you’ve been alone with them it’s only your word against theirs and nobody listens to the heterosexual white man!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

oh man kuro5hin

also why was kuro5hin?

yeah, it was a super-weird community, and despite reading it now and then back in those days i don't think i ever figured out what the common theme was (beyond a lot in common with slashdot of course)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

esr is a deformed racist goblin with a club foot and a face that looks like someone left a novelty candle too near a radiator

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

istr the original maintainer got bored after it stopped being a money fountain, and unloaded it cheap

eschaton posted:

also why was kuro5hin?

before off-the-shelf blog packages like wordpress, only super nerds could build a website with dynamic comments

hence directionless group blogs like k5 and /. they never had a clearly defined reason to exist. their founders were just self-absorbed turbo-nerds.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sweevo posted:

esr is a deformed racist goblin with a club foot and a face that looks like someone left a novelty candle too near a radiator

in heaven... everything is fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

before off-the-shelf blog packages like wordpress, only super nerds could build a website with dynamic comments

hence directionless group blogs like k5 and /. they never had a clearly defined reason to exist. their founders were just self-absorbed turbo-nerds.

this is a very flawed explanation though, as there is certainly a deeper social dynamic that is quite interesting going on there. sure, the reason people comment, and comment a lot in a few places, is because there were a few places for people to comment, but one can still take interest in what the communities looked like and what is says about human nature

such as learning that nerds are terrible, but as that is an already internalized fact in yospos perhaps there is more to dig into beyond that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Maximo Roboto posted:

I had it as reading for an operating systems course but the prof also mentioned crossing paths with Raymond at a conference and being unimpressed.

TCATB is widely read because Tim O'Reilly promoted it. Most of its "insights" are unoriginal or mundane and it presents a rose-tinted image of Linux in the mid-90s that badly downplays its reliance on pre-existing software.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh hey, what's this thread..?

big scary monsters posted:

shocked to find out that free software's greatest champion uses copy protection

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rjmccall posted:

i love youtube music comments, it's like a window back into a world i'd forgotten about, in which apparently all of rihanna's songs suck right up until they're covered by a white woman (sia fans get some slack for this obv)
videos for songs from the 1990s or 1980s are fun too, because without fail the first comment is someone declaring how awesome that journey or huey lewis song is because it is REAL music unlike that poo poo they play nowadays

and cathedral and the bazaar is worth reading only because of its 1) minor historical significance and 2) as an exercise in picking apart everything in it that is provably wrong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a very flawed explanation though, as there is certainly a deeper social dynamic that is quite interesting going on there. sure, the reason people comment, and comment a lot in a few places, is because there were a few places for people to comment, but one can still take interest in what the communities looked like and what is says about human nature

such as learning that nerds are terrible, but as that is an already internalized fact in yospos perhaps there is more to dig into beyond that

well yes communities formed around the group blogs and the whole thing stumbles forward

but the question asked is why they existed. and the reason is really very dull: communities formed around turbo-nerds' home-rolled weblog software because off-the-shelf blog packages didn't exist yet.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well yes communities formed around the group blogs and the whole thing stumbles forward

but the question asked is why they existed. and the reason is really very dull: communities formed around turbo-nerds' home-rolled weblog software because off-the-shelf blog packages didn't exist yet.

also I think Slashdot specifically kicked off something (even if they weren’t the first), they tried to be an aggregator for a whole area of nerd culture, not just one or another aspect of it

what baffles me is that other things…just tried to do the same thing? like, what was kuro5hin’s differentiator, that it wasn’t run by CmdrTaco?

still can’t believe we had both CmdrTaco and ESR as keynote speakers at MacHack

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

eschaton posted:

also I think Slashdot specifically kicked off something (even if they weren’t the first), they tried to be an aggregator for a whole area of nerd culture, not just one or another aspect of it

what baffles me is that other things…just tried to do the same thing? like, what was kuro5hin’s differentiator, that it wasn’t run by CmdrTaco?

that’s enough of a reason tbh, those sites had very different vibes and I don’t remember slashdot ever being funny

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yep.

slashdot was an extension of cmdrtaco's pre-existing irc knitting circle (as was everything2.com), and the site reflected his interests

kuro5hin was dominated by rusty's interests. different turbo-nerd forms different community.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
rust, tho

is anybody shipping any rust code other than mozilla???

*asking for a friend*

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

already showing up a lot in networking devices, some big players using it for some small, perf-critical components in backends & devops (dropbox, fb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
slashdot was the angry computer forum

• Locked thread