Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Blood -1, Heart 2, Mind 0, Spirit +1
Tribunal +1 Lighthouse -1 Queensguard +1 Brighton +1
Harm 0/5 Corruption 0/5

It feels great to get out of that bloodsport. I yawn and stretch my arms in the cozily dank underground passages. This is what makes New York such a great place to live; you can get everywhere you want to go without ever traveling above ground. That's a pretty neat trick, considering it's partly island!

As we move through the underground passages, I start seeing signs of abandoned squats. You always get squatters in the underneath, especially in winter; free space and heat. Back in the old days, according to Dad, there was a whole underground vagrant civilization under the streets, with its own language, architecture, "street" signs, and community. They used to put on plays and brew moonshine. But like a lot of things, it's gone downhill. There's still little flashes of brightness, though. Above one pile of what looks like abandoned laundry, I recognize a few chalked markings; real-deal hobo sign! There's an angel with a hand that means free food, the spiked mouth that means biting animal, and the circle with six lines that means Cockroach King. It's a prayer, which is to say, an open-ended bargain, asking for safety and succor. I take out my phone and snap a picture of it, to show the King later. Then I check the laundry to see if they left an offering.

Score! A bag of peanuts, and an unmarked bottle of booze! Good offering, dude. Proper respect.

I rip open the bag and start crunching the shells between my teeth. "Want some?" I offer to Maayo. "Free food is best food."

When we get to the pump room, I run my thumb down the damp wall and lick it. Sulfides, rock sweat, and that cobalt dye they add to marine gas. "We're near the river," I tell Maayo smugly, tryin' to look all Legolas and poo poo. I put my hand on the door. "Ready?" I ask him. "There might be bugs as big as rats and rats as big as dogs, if they've been getting into the Redleaf. You sure you're up to this poo poo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Blood -1 | Heart +0 | Mind +1 | Spirit +2 || Lighthouse +1 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +1
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Hold: None || Location: The Soiree

I shake my head, "Probably not." Piper was always a bit of an idealist. Not likely to understand the necessity for backroom — or bathroom — dealings with goblin smugglers. Still, handy enough with a gun. And given that something weird seems to be up... that may come in more handy than I would like. I motion at the hallway the guard disappeared down, "I don't like that. It doesn't feel right." Maybe I am being paranoid now, but that's part and parcel of guard work. I need this idiot to live through the night, at least long enough to give him the protective talisman, and get me back into the Lighthouse's good graces. "Where are you sitting tonight?"

I slip my focus out, the reassuring weight of the fountain pen settling into my hand, and channel power into it. Not the usual display of might you might want to cow an enemy or potential threat, but something more subtle. I'm not about to wreck the Gala, even if I do think it's stupid, but if someone else does...? Let's just say I'll be ready.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Yesterday at 2:06 PM
@Alex Reid (Tricky): 2d6+2 Alex does some Channeling = (5+3)+2 = 10

Holding 3+1

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Blood: +1 Heart: +2 Mind: +0 Spirit: -1
Tribunal: +1, Brighton Cartel :-1, Queens Guard: +1, The Lighthouse : +1
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: Old Pete's
In My Web: Old Pete (NPC)
-1 ongoing on any social interactions until he’s eaten.

My hand stops when it traces across the word "Infection" and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Every instinct I'd got is yelling that I need to get out of there, and when I turn to see the horde of chompers getting ready to fall on top of us.

I whirl around and say, "Run! The trail goes this way!" Then, I tear off down the sewers without stopping to look if she's even following me.

@Tristan, the Vamp (Capfalcon): 2d6+1 Run from the Teeth Fairies = (5+1)+1 = 7
You leave something important behind
You suffer harm during your escape

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

Maayo

Blood -1, Heart 2, Mind 1, Spirit 0
Lighthouse 0, Queens Guard 1, Brighton Cartel 0Tribunal 1
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: Underground

I don't know enough to get around on my own, but when I did some interviews with the mole people, they showed me how to find my way back to the surface. Most inhabited, or least trafficked areas are marked with a local dialect of hobo signs, always pointing toward an exit, though not always toward the nearest one, and some sort of symbol describing what's above, like if it's a good spot to busk or panhandle, any hazards in the area, and since late stage capitalism is so pervasive, the logos of any stores worth shopping or scavenging at. A few of those in the know also use fairy marks, which I can spot, but I never could quite get the hang of deciphering them.

I root around the gear a bit, seeing if I can figure out why whoever was here abandonded the place. I also check along the walls to find any markings, supernatural or otherwise, to try to get my bearings on the area and maybe get a heads-up on any risks up ahead.

SidekickBOT-Today at 4:55 PM posted:

@Maayo (cloneboy): 2d6+1 Snooping around in the underground = (5+6)+1 = 12

thelazyblank posted:

The best way in and out for normal people is the doorways you see. There's no other real ways in or out.

The inside of the pump room looks completely trashed, gnawed around and through by rat sized creatures. There's also the sign of a bipedal humanoid, barefoot.

The greatest danger is the mass of creatures that caused this. In a straight fight, you'd probably get overwhelmed.

I take a couple of peanuts from Fernweh and carefully crack open the shells in my hands. "I've gotta disagree a bit. Shared food is best food," I pop the seeds in my mouth, "but getting it for free does make it even better."

I feel for my Taser, relieved that security didn't check for weapons. It's a very small comfort, though, since I doubt it'll do much against giant bugs, but it's better than nothing, I guess. It's times like this that I kick myself for not accepting that Beretta my dad offered. "We just have to drop some bags around the room, right?"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Arguing about anime since 99

Blood: +2 Heart: +1 Mind: -1 Spirit: +0
Tribunal: +1 Brighton Cartel :+1 Queens Guard: +1, The Lighthouse : -1
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ;☐☐☐☐ || Location: Running around in the sewer

I scan the perimter in case of any were-rats, or blobby sentient fatbergs. I sigh as the coast is clear and then hear something above us, like a four-legged creature. A sprinkle of dust falls from the ceiling and onto my nose. I look up and see two molars gnawing through the ceiling as more and more dust falls on me. The gigantic molars are atached to the smallest, most adorable fairy I have seen. Kind of like the tooth fairy, if the tooth fairy ate concrete instead of teeth.

"Tristan.. Be..Quiet." I slowly say as I turn my phone up to the ceiling. Dozens of mini-faries are up there, gnawing on the cieling. The dust itches my nose as Tristan looks up and freezes, seeing the danger.

"I have some te- te... teeth in my ca-" I lift my hand to my nose as the urge to sneeze gets more and more desperate. Tristan turns to me, annoyance on his face and I hold it in, barely.

With an amazing display of willpower I stop the urge to sneeze. I slowly back away, towards the exit. "Teeth in my car. We can use them to maybe bag one of these bug- "

CLAAAAAAAAANG, my head connects with a sewage pipe and I see a half-dozen beady eyes stare at us and advanced upon us, their hungry mouths asking for more than just teeth.

"RUN!" I scream and book it.

OOC posted:

Die roller don't fail me now, Im going with Tristan and getting the hell out of dodge. Triggering Escape the situation

SidekickBOT - Last Thursday at 6:55 PM
@Murphy (Exmond): 2d6+2 Running from the tooth faries = (1+4)+2 = 7

When you take advantage of an opening to escape a situation, roll
with Blood. On a hit, you get away. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9,
choose 2:
• You suffer harm during your escape
• You end up in another dangerous situation
• You leave something important behind
• You owe someone a Debt for your escape
• You give in to your base nature and mark corruption

I pick in I give in to my base nature and makr corruption, and I owe Tristan a debt for helping my escape!

Exmond fucked around with this message at Jan 14, 2018 around 19:38

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Nessa

The soldier cringes, barely grabbing onto your arms. As you look at the soldier's wounds, the beast inside growls to you. Stalling. He's stalling. Einar looks over your head for a moment, as the Earl of Whispered Promises is seen whispering with an awkwardly leaning man, flowers in his hair and an awkward smile on his face.

A few nods were shared between the two of them, before Einar pulls your head back around, pulling on one of your ears. End this. Einar's face shows quite a bit of pain on his face. He seems to just be holding on, trying to make this take longer.

What do you do?

Fernweh & Maayo

The pump room seems full of three things: uneaten Redleaf, eaten Redleaf and an uncomfortable amount of naturally fertilized dirt. The directions were simple enough, just need to bury the main bag in the middle of the room, then do a small offering on top of the bag. The Hag wasn't clear what the other bag was for, whether it was a second chance, an offering or something else.

As you both scan the room, the sound of chittering is heard as a large rat with the head of a boar pops out of one of the holes in the wall. If the infestation is active, the chances of having enough time to do even the simplest of rituals might be difficult. Especially as more sounds of little boar ratlings are heard from behind the walls, echoing slightly.

What do you do?

Murphy & Tristan

Between the two of you, you figure out how to get away from the swarm of creatures as they scurry past and most likely back into the walls. The sharp smell of chemicals both masks the scent of the blood and probably your own as well. There's a trickling trail of blood down the hallway, stopping at a corpse on the ground but continuing down the same path.

Taking a closer look, the body is of Jim, the small sign of melted provolone on his rough beard being the major giveaway. His eyes are just sockets, and his chest looks like someone dug into him for parts. It's hard to tell which parts. The blood trail is more visible further into the industrial area, seemingly leading to a much smaller room at the end of this path.

What do you do?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/5 Corruption 0/5

Tiny pigs? Rat-pigs? Noice! Never seen that before. That may be a first, even for the New York Underground. I wonder if a wizard did it?

I wonder, briefly, if my landlord would let me keep one for a pet. Prolly not. Fuckin' Ukrainian bastard.

"Think fast!" I shout to Maayo, and then I grab the bag of peanuts and sling them underhanded, scattering nuts and shells away from myself and across the other side of the room. Hopefully, the pig rats are hungry for something other than adorable fae-flesh and reasonably attractive human. "Keep them off my back. I've got to work some magic." I start humming the strains of an ancient magic song to pacify animals under my breath.

quote:

@Fernweh (OKShark): 2d6+0 Distract the rat-boar-pigs = (1+3)+0 = 4

The rat-boar-pigs don't even seem to notice the hobo offering. Dang.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

"...You're right," I say to Alex, as I see the guard move out of our sight. "I've got a bad feeling about this," It might just be me being paranoid, but my gut is telling me that something is about to go down, something bad. "I was sitting a few tables behind you, and I think it's time we head back," my eyes move around the hallway, scanning for any signs of potential danger around us, "Alex, I don't know what's about to happen, but watch out for yourself, okay? I get the feeling this party's going to get a lot more 'exciting' soon."

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

Maayo

Blood -1, Heart 2, Mind 1, Spirit 0
Lighthouse 0, Queens Guard 1, Brighton Cartel 0Tribunal 1
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: Underground

I'm underground in a room full of magic drugs. The walls are teeming with giant pig-headed rats. A manic faerie dream girl just threw a bag of peanuts across the room and is now furiously humming the opening song to The Lion King. I've been on weirder dates, but this is definitely in the running for top 5.

The rat-boar doesn't seem immediately hostile, so I stand between it and Fernweh while leveling my taser at it.

SidekickBOT - Today at 5:29 PM posted:

@Maayo (cloneboy): 2d6+0 try not to provoke the rat-boar = (3+1)+0 = 4

I step without looking and slip on a patch of pungently fresh fertilizer. I reflexively squeeze the trigger on the taser while trying to keep my balance. The two prongs discharge across the room, loudly arcing with electricity as they fly through the air and land a foot to the left of the terrier-sized rat-hybrid. My dad would have me digging and re-filling fighting positions in the backyard for days if he were around to witness such terrible trigger discipline, and if that pig-faced rat wasn't pissed before, it definitely is now.

cloneboy fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2018 around 00:43

Exmond
May 31, 2007

As I turn to run I , gracefully as ever, slip and fall into the sewer. Something vile, nasty and a bit chewy enters my mouth and I sputter as a dozen beady eyes with much too large teeth descend upon me. I don't want to die like this is a thought I have, as well as I'd rather be at the revelry. Just as the faeries are about to descend upon me Tristan grabs me and hauls me up from the sewer. He almost hides the look of disgust.

Fortunately we have no time for arguments as the faeries swarm around us. I lift my jacket to shield myself and try to run, but they are too many. As a dark brown shape plops from my hair onto the ground I hear a small voice.

give in, waste them all

I wish I could say I paused, but it's been a bad day. I gave in, demonic fire covering my body and scorching a few of the fuckers. Bright light lit up my eyes as the demon blood in me howled for vengeance, and I delivered.

The faeries backed off, only for a moment, but before I could do anything more Tristan grabbed me and we ran down the hallway. Several turns we lost them in the sewer. I huffed and slowed down to a walk, and did my best to regain any sense of dignity.

"Jesus Christ!" I yell as I round the corner and see Tristan hovered over a body. For once I'm happy that about the sewer smell. Nice smell of bleach with a hint of chlorine, enough to sanitize last night's dinner going the rough way down. This body would stink if we could smell it.

"That Jim? It looks like he has been butchered!" I say as I go take a closer look.

I curse myself for forgetting my bag of teeth up at my car, and then take a look at Jim. I look behind us, remembering all those little eyes and large teeth. Hmmm, I do need to find the tooth fairy. I break out a small switch blade I keep with me and open the mouth of the deceased and start rooting around and after a few moments have a nice collection of teeth.

With my dirty work done I wipe my hands on my red leather jacket. Aha, I know what your thinking, I thought ahead. I assure you I did and this wasn't a fluke. I turn towards the door. Sorry, the door with the freaking BLOOD TRAIL leading up to it. I break out my shotgun, make sure it's loaded and point at the door and with my other hand grab a few teeth, ready to throw at any hungry angry fairies.

"Soooo.. What do you think those were back there?" I ask Tristan while moving slowly towards the door.

OOC posted:

Grabbing some teeth for a distraction if needed (and hey handy wizard tracking stuff if we need it)
Letting tristan take the lead here,

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Blood: +1 Heart: +2 Mind: +0 Spirit: -1
Tribunal: +1, Brighton Cartel :-1, Queens Guard: +1, The Lighthouse : +1
Harm:1/5 (Light) || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: Old Pete's
In My Web: Old Pete (NPC)
-1 ongoing on any social interactions until he’s eaten.

When I half drag Murphy out of the sewer filth, I start to wonder why I invited her along. The sudden blast of hellfire serves as a timely reminder as we both made our escape.

------

After we lost them, we find ourselves looking over the body, and the first thing I notice is all the blood. And the second and third thing, too.

By the time I realize that Murphy's pried teeth out of Jim's mouth, she's already cleaning up and asking me questions. I sigh and rub my temples, saying , "This... this is not going to work." Realizing that Murphy probably has no idea what I'm talking about, I add, "Look, I have not eaten in days, and this was just supposed to be a quick favor for Old Pete. But, I can't focus like this. Especially with all the blood. So, just let me have a quick nip, and then we'll take keep looking for Malcom or whatever's left of him, ok?"

That's when her question finally processes and I add, "Oh. That. Not sure, but some faerie signs on the walls said "Infection." So, I'm pretty sure that we want to give them a wide berth."

Took one harm from misc. bumps and bruises.

Spending a debt to let Murphy feed off her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*

Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes

He grabs me, he holds me. He pulls at my ear like a child, trying to tease a reaction out of a friendly dog.

I am no dog.

There is a flurry of paws, of claws scratching and teeth biting and growling, and I am out of his grip.

I barely have a scratch on me. This guy's got no chance, he should just give up.

No. Let us continue. I lick my chops, where his blood still drips. I want more. I howl

quote:

Letting it out to take something from him, in this case his will to fight. I get 1 Corruption.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 20:25

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Took one harm from misc. bumps and bruises.

Spending a debt to let Murphy feed off her.

Infected faeries? What kind of trouble is the tooth-fairy in. And a dead jim, that doesn't bode well. I knew jim was part of some big family, this might have some repercussions. Just as I add a few more problems to my allready giant list Tristan lays down another one.

"Uhh," I gulp and look at Tristan, "Like feeding or feeding? I just cut my hand and offer it to you? No vampiric embrace right?"

The last time I saw a vampire feeding it was some Twilight level of cheese. There's a time and place for that, but in a sewer, covered in muck, is not one of them. And hell, while Tristan seems okay maybe offer a girl dinner first before going for that kind of feeding. I offer my hand to Tristan and try to remain calm. I don't need to demon out now, and I don't think that Tristan would appreciate bloodfire going down his throat.

OOC posted:

Murphy says yes and fulfills a deal with Tristan.

If there isn't any super dangerous stuff happening afterwards, then let's open that door!

thelazyblank
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Alex & Piper

As soon as you say that, an inhuman scream followed by the sudden shattering of plates and glassware that seem to fall by the wayside. All of the pleasant background music stops, and the room seems to erupt in shouting and chaos. From here, it’s hard to tell exactly what is happening, but it isn’t pleasant.

The lights start to flicker, both in the main room and the hallway leading back there. There’s not much time to access the situation, but there haven’t been any signs of gunfire or obvious supernatural power as far as either of you can tell.

What do you do?

Maayo & Fernweh

The small swarm of creatures stop and what feels like a few dozen eyes turn red and begin glaring at the both of you. They know you’re here, and they’re definitely not going to let you get this done. As Fernweh steps forward, there’s a loud screech by one of them, and one of their legs points at each of you. They may not be able to speak, but they can definitely communicate.

The noise permeates the room, echoing in your ears, as other creatures pop out of the dirt beneath the two of you, nipping at your feet with little regard. They have different heads from the rat-boars, some of them looking vaguely humanoid in nature. Do either of you know the Tooth Fairy or Jim the Oracle?

Either way, they seem to be very intent on getting you out of this room. Staying in here is a bad choice, likely leading to getting bitten but it’s also the location needed for the ritual.

What do you do?

Tristan & Murphy

The feeding occurs, but without much time to fully appreciate the situation as a loud screech is heard in the distance. In itself, not exactly a problem, but it seems to cause some stirring in the ceiling. Luckily for you, nothing directly impacts your current situation.

The open doorway seems clear as you approach. Inside looks like a combination of a laboratory and a wizard’s sanctum. Highly technical machines mixed in with magical-looking sigils on the walls. It’s hard to decipher anything from outside the room, but there appears to be magical activity flaring up from the middle of the room.

What do you do?

Nessa

Einar’s eyes close as he slumps to the ground, unconscious from the variety of wounds. You can hear him still breathing but his will to keep fighting is gone. As you refocus on everything happening around you, the bright-haired one is moving away. You get a better look, do you recognize them?

OOC posted:

You can either roll Name to a Face for the Tribunal, or choose to know them or not know them and not care.

The crowd comes up to a cheer as the fight ends, and the staff escorts the both of you outside of the ring area. There are some customary gifts that they hand to you, the winner of the fight. Is it anything important? Anything worth keeping?

Old Leeroy is clapping in the back, appreciative but somewhat knowing. Do you think he knows what’s actually happening? Can you communicate with him in wolf form?

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/5 Corruption 1/5

Okay. I didn't want to do this. This is not only real-deal fae magic, but something in the neighborhood of an ancient family secret. It is absolutely not the kind of thing you do in front of outsiders. But what the hell, right? I don't see any other way past these things.

I toss the pouch to Maayo. "Get ready to bury it," I murmur. "I'm going to be... busy." Then, while hundreds of glittering black eyes focus on me, I slide a hand into my pocket. They bristle and chitter, as if they can understand that I'm reaching for a weapon. When my hand comes out a moment later holding a cell phone, they don't seem any more relaxed. In full view of the rats, I hold it aloft. Then, on its black glass surface, i draw the sigil of Hamelin, the universal calling rune for all rats and vermin. They can't not pay attention to me now.

"I the name of the blood we share, I call you. In the name of my father, I command you. In the name of the King, I bid you answer." Still making the sign, I raise my finger and touch the play button burning on the phone's screen. "In the name of the Cockroach King and the King... of Pop."

A tinny, driving bass beat fills the air, boosted on the wings of weird street magic. It enters the boar-rats ears, bypassing their tiny brains and heading directly to their spinal columns. Their noses and legs start twitching as they rise up en masse. I cock an imaginary hat on my head and swivel my heels, showing them the steps.

One of the many dark secrets of the Cockroach King is his deep and abiding love of elaborate, choreographed dance numbers. Why? Who knows. If you were ten thousand years old, you'd have weird hobbies too. It infects his children, and his children's children, unto the billionth generation. The semi-rats here can no more fail to answer now than they could to the first Pied Piper. And gently caress you if Michael ain't better than any old German rat-catcher. "Hurry," I tell Maayo. "You have until the song ends. And don't try to film this!" I warn him as I walk backwards in place.

Marking Corruption to use Bedlam. Instilling in the boar-rats the emotion of Love of Dance. Or, if you prefer, I make them feel Footloose.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at Jan 22, 2018 around 04:01

«2 »