Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

I wish I could be more open about being Alistair's bodyguard, but noooo, he insisted that it'd be better if I was some sort of secret security detail instead, which means I, unfortunately, have to act as his date tonight, which means I have to pretend like I'm actually interested in him. Ugh. And the worst part? The worst part about all of this is that I have to wear a dress. I hate dresses. They're too hard to fight in. I could be wearing a suit, but I guess I'm stuck wearing this expensive, white dress Alistair gave me instead.

God, and why does he have to be to so difficult? He keeps ignoring everything I have to say, and he keeps wondering off on his own. It's like he doesn't want me to protect him. This should be an easy job, but Alistair's doing everything he can to make it anything but.

We were both seated somewhere along the middle row of the seats. I'd love to drown myself in alcohol right now to make the night pass by faster, but I can't. As much as I'm regretting taking this job now, I still have to make sure I keep him safe, which means I need to keep my senses sharp just in case anything happens. I pretend to be interested in whatever he's saying, nodding while he's talking, while my eyes carefully scan the ballroom around us, watching out for any potential danger. I spot Alex, and it looks like I'm not the only one who's having a difficult time tonight. I give her a small wave, and briefly give her a sympathetic look, before I go back to pretending to be Alistair's date.

Well, at least the food is nice, I guess.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2017 around 21:21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

"H-hey, it's nice to, uh, meet you both?" I awkwardly wave at Alistair's disinterested siblings. Aside from Francis, I don't really know that much about Alistair's family. Francis was an old friend of my dad's, and I'd remember he'd come over to the house a lot to drink some tea and swap long-winded stories with my dad. He's a sweet guy, and it was nice catching up with him, but god do his stories and 'jokes' go on for way too long.

Actually, not that I think about it, my dad's got a lot of old friends, and enemies. He's pretty well known in the supernatural community for all the hard work he put into protecting this city, and some even go as far as to call him a modern day knight. It's always weird hearing people talk about him. I knew about my dad's job, but I always saw him as a dorky old man who tells way too many lame jokes, but others see him as like, this legendary figure. I'm not even sure if I even believe most of the stories they tell about him.

...Still, I'm not sure if I can even live up to the legacy he left behind. A lot of people are expecting a lot out of me, being his daughter and all, and I'm... not sure if I can live up to all those expectations.

Ugh. Something better happen soon, because I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. I've been keeping careful watch, and I haven't seen signs of [i]any
kind of threat. I swear, if Alistair was making this all up just so he could have an excuse to have me as his date, he and I are going to have a very, very, [i]very
long talk after all this over.

God, I need a break. Just a few minutes to myself, "Excuse me," I say, standing up from my chair, "I, uh, need to.... use the lady's room for a bit. I'll be right back!" I walk away as quickly as I possibly could. I'm sure he'll be fine without me for a few minutes.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

Oh. Well. This is a little awkward. It looks like Alex and that other lady were having a conversation, a conversation I probably shouldn't be involved in, judging by that incredibly nasty look she's giving now. "Uh, yea, sure, I'll just..." I say to Alex, as I awkwardly shuffle back, "I'll just... be waiting outside then, I guess." I make my exit, and wait outside, by the bathroom door. No idea what Alex wants to talk to me about, but it probably beats spending more time with Alistair.

...I just hope Alex doesn't take long, because I'm feeling really silly now standing next to the bathroom like this. I'd be messing around with my smartphone right now to pass the time... if I could actually afford one. I still have one of those old flip-phones. Look, the whole monster hunting gig doesn't exactly pay all that well, okay? My family might be famous, but we're not rich. This is my first job in a while that actually pays well, and all I have to do is babysit a spoiled manchild for one night.

Ah, well. Beats having to face off against the Corrupted again, I guess.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

Have I worked with non-humans before? Yea, a few times. It's sometimes necessary in my line of work, and it can be... an experience. Have you ever tried tracking down a sewer monster with a hyperactive fairy before? I have, and it's not easy, I can tell you much.

Still, the security guy looks really familiar, like I've seen him somewhere before, but before I could take a closer look at him, Alex walks out, and gets my attention, "Yea, you could say that," I rub the back of my neck, "I'm here as someone's bodyguard-slash-pretend-date, and lemme tell you, the guy I'm supposed to be protecting? He's a real piece of work," my eyes go from the bathroom door to her's, "Should I even ask what was going on in there?" I say, pointing a thumb at the bathroom.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

"...You're right," I say to Alex, as I see the guard move out of our sight. "I've got a bad feeling about this," It might just be me being paranoid, but my gut is telling me that something is about to go down, something bad. "I was sitting a few tables behind you, and I think it's time we head back," my eyes move around the hallway, scanning for any signs of potential danger around us, "Alex, I don't know what's about to happen, but watch out for yourself, okay? I get the feeling this party's going to get a lot more 'exciting' soon."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

...When I said things were going to get exciting, I wasn't expecting it to happen that fast. I look back at Alex, and say, "...I should probably do the same. Teaming up doesn't sound like that bad of an idea. Two heads are better than one, after all. Lemme just get rid of these things, first," I begin to take off the (very) expensive heels Alistair got me, and toss them away. Ah, sweet relief, "Alright, let's go."

I follow close behind Alex as we skulk down the hallways, and as she's peaking through the doorway, I take out the dagger I have hidden in my dress. I couldn't bring my sword or crossbow in, so this'll have to do for now. I just hope it's enough to deal with whatever's causing all that commotion.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

Oh, hell. This is bad. Turns out Alistair wasn't making any of that stuff up after all, and there really are people who are out to get him. I don't know why anybody would ever go after that idiot, but I'm not going to let him, or his family, die tonight.

As soon as Alex open fires on one of the assassins, I take out one of my knives, and swiftly toss it at the other one, aiming it at the arm holding the large knife.

quote:

@Piper Steele (Hugzilla): 2d6+1 unleashing on the assassin = (3+6)+1 = 10
That should be 2-harm, and I pick to Take something from them (Their weapon).

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

Taking advantage of the chaos, I deftly make my way across ballroom, using the fallen over tables as cover, until I manage to make it to Alistair and Leonard's side. Before the frightened Alistair can say anything to me, I speak up first, "Alright, listen up. You," I point to Alistair, "And you," I point to Leonard, "I'm going to get you all out of here, but I need you all to follow everything I say, got it?" Once I got confirmation from them, I begin leading them out of the warzone, stopping every now and then to have them take cover from the incoming bullets. After an incredibly tense few minutes, which felt like eternity, I could see the exit in sight, but the way isn't clear. Not yet. We just need to wait for the right opportunity. As long as nobody does anything rash, we should be able to make it.

Still, no matter what happens next, I'll make sure no harm comes to any of them, and if I have to use my own body to do it, then so be it.

quote:

@Piper Steele (Hugzilla): 2d6+1 leading alistair and leonard out of danger = (4+4)+1 = 9

Choosing to take the harm. Figure Piper would jump in the moment it looks like either of them are going to get hurt, and take the hit for them. I should also have 2-armor from Alex's Area Shielding.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Feb 20, 2018 around 00:43

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☒|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

All things considered, that could've gone much worse for me. The shotgun blast barely grazed my sides, and, yea, while it still stings like hell, it sure beats the alternative. At least I managed to get these two idiots out safe and sound, but Alex is still in there, and I can't just leave my friend alone while she's still in trouble.

"Alright you two," I tear out a piece of my expensive white dress, much to Alistair's dismay, and start writing on it, "Go straight to this address. You both should be safe there," as long as they don't do anything stupid, "I'm going back in to help Alex. I'll see you both there," I turn, but before I leave, I say, "Oh, and one more thing; please, please, please don't touch anything while you're there."

And with that said, I leave them both, but before I go back in, I make a quick detour to my car. I stashed my sword and my cross-bow in the trunk, just in case, and it looks like I'm going to need them now, and now that I'm properly armed, I rush back in as fast as I can. I only hope I'm not too late.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☒|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

I look at the horde at the horde that's coming right at me. The smart thing to do would be to turn and run, but that's not the Steele way. A Steele stands and fights against the hordes of darkness!

...Or at least, that's what my dad would say. Personally, I have no problem with running away when things go bad, but I can't do that now when my friend is in danger. I take a deep breath, grip my enchanted sword, and charge right into them, and give my best battle yell. I might not be a good a fighter as my dad, but that doesn't mean I'm bad when it comes to a fight!

quote:

@Piper Steele (Hugzilla): 2d6+1 Unleashing on the changeling horde = (2+6)+1 = 9

Charging in with my sword (3-harm). Choosing:
- Inflict terrible harm
- They inflict harm on you

Should still have 2-armor from Alex's previous channeling.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☒|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: The Soiree

"So long as they don't do anything stupid, they should be safe," I tell Alex, as I put my sword back in it's sheath, "They should be staying at a safe house by now, waiting for us to get them." I glance over at the guy who was yelling at Alex, and then back to her. I cover the side of my mouth with one hand, and whisper, "What's with the angry sword guy over there? What's got him throwing such a hissy fit?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Blood +1 | Heart +0 | Mind +2 | Spirit -1 || Lighthouse +2 | Queens Guard +1 | Brighton Cartel -1 | Tribunal +0
Harm: ☐|☐☐|☐☐ || Corruption: ☐☐☐☐☐ || Location: My Apartment

Ever since the incident at the Soiree, I couldn't get the shapeshifters out of my mind. Who sent them, and why? Why would they go after Alistair, of all people? What are they, anyways? I tried asking Alistair, but he knew as much as I did about the whole situation, which is jack all.

Speaking of Alistair, he's back home with his family. He's safe, for now, but just in case, I've given him my phone number, and made sure to stress to call me only on emergencies, and nothing else. No more pretend dates. I was ready for him to make a big fuss about how ripped up the dress he gave me was, but, surprisingly enough, he didn't. He was actually really grateful to me for saving his life, and even told me that if I ever required aid from him, or his family, all I would have to do is call, which, yea, surprised me. Being thanked for my work is one of those things I'm still not all that used to.

Alistair is safe (for now!), and he now owes me a Debt!

I decided to consult my dad's old journal, to see if there's any mention of shapeshifters in it, and while I was looking through it, I did manage to find a passage that described the creatures I saw that day. According to my dad, these "Dopplers," as he calls them, are connected to the Corrupted, but how? He's not sure. He also mentions a library, a library that's "hidden around the edges of reality," that should have more information about them, but he also mentions that getting the information won't be easy. Just getting to the hidden library is a task in itself, but thankfully my dad outlined the steps to gaining access to the place, which I made sure to follow.

I found the location he mentioned, and let me tell you, getting the information I need... was a real journey. If I ever have to go through another dimension-hopping portal ever again, it'll be too soon. But it was worth it in the end. I came out of the library with various texts that should give me the knowledge I need. Hopefully. Last thing I want to do is go through that ever again.

quote:

@Piper Steele (Hugzilla): 2d6 Tribunal roll = (6+3) = 9

Now there's the matter of the upcoming meeting. For one, I'm making sure I'm coming with my sword this time, and second, I'm not going alone this time. Shortly after I was told of the meeting, I was contacted by a woman who called herself Victoria Valentine. Ms. Valentine works for the Brighton Cartel, and she claims to be an acquaintance of my fathers (and who isn't at this point). She has an interest in the meeting, and she wants me to take her along with her, and in exchange, she'll "tell me the secret your father has kept hidden away from you." I have no reason to believe her, or even trust her, but... I couldn't turn her away, either. My father had secrets, lots of them, things he kept hidden away from me, and Ms. Valentine claimed that the secret is linked to his disappearence. She might be lying, but if there's even a sliver of a chance that it's true... then that's a risk I'm willing to take. I only hope I'm making the right one.

For now, I'm going through all the text I took from the library, gettingwhatever information I can before Ms. Valentine arrives. Hopefully I'll be able to learn something useful before the meeting.

  • Locked thread