Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: O|OO|OO || Corruption 0/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes

These kinds of duels, the ones who are serious but not 'someone's gotta die over this' serious, usually go on until one of the two surrenders. The champions are expected to surrender before they're mortally wounded, no one would participate if that weren't the case, but surrender too early and you look like a chump, not to mention that the person you're championing for isn't going to be all that grateful that you threw them under the bus to save your skin after you promised to do the opposite.

I take several deep breaths. I can feel the change coming, and it's important to be stable when it comes; not to let the animal insticts override me.

I shoot a glare at the people in the first row. There, I can see Old Leeroy, leaning over the metal fence separating the stands from the arena. He looks...slightly bemused? Whatever, old man. I'm not doing this because I like you. I need favors, and allies, and you're like the friendly grandpa of the whole fuckin' Queensguard. I... no, keep calm. It's not the time for the Mutt yet. Keep it cool.



Ah, there they are, at a reasonable distance from Leeroy, pretending to look impassively at the spectable before them. The Earl of Whispered Promises, in all their fanciness. Wonder who this joker got for a champion? A goblin? A troll, maybe?

Doesn't matter. Night's coming fast, and I can't hold off the change much longer. Time to just step in the arena and

Loud. Bright. People all around, looking at me, watching me. But it's good. They should watch, they should look.

Growl. Paw at the ground, sniff. Blood, old and new; fear and rage and the dizzying high of triumph. I know these smells.

Growl again. Where is my enemy? Not here. Was supposed to be here. Skulk around the edge of the arena, look up. There. Earl knows where my enemy is. Bark at them. Ah! They flinch! They are prey. Enemy is not prey; where is enemy? Howl in frustration and challenge. They can't be far. I can smell them.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Dec 1, 2017 around 09:00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*




Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: O|OO|OO || Corruption 0/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes

It's hard to remember what the daylight form has heard of but not directly witnessed.

That's... that's a warrior from the Fall court. An old one. What was his name again? He has... He has almost killed another Cartel wolf not two weeks ago, werewolf regeneration a day all...

Snarl. Take my place at one side of the arena, wait for him to come. I understand the important part. This is a dangerous opponent. Must be ready to pounce, ready to dodge to the side, ready.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: O|OO|OO || Corruption 0/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes


Old Leeroy says one last thing as you pass by him. “Good luck. That’s what mortals say. Don’t know if you need it.” He seems calm, almost certain about what is going to happen. Once the ring re-adjusts, Einar salutes you from across the ring, crouching down into a modern boxing stance as he carefully moves in.

Do you put much thought into Leeroy’s pep talk? How do you want to approach the fight? What do you do?

Twitch of the ear as I hear what Leeroy says. Can't think of that right now. The woman will think later.

Position myself in front of Einar. Wait for the signal. See him salute.


I have to salute as well.

Why.

Look, I'm already at risk of pissing off people by meddling in this stuff. I don't want to piss off yet another group of power hungry assholes because I didn't respect their champion properly.

Rrrgh. Sit. Nod at Einar.

Well, I guess that's as much as you can ask out of someone with no hands. Back to business.

Circle him. He circles with me, in the opposite direction, to avoid offering me a flank. His fists are raised, poised to strike. It's a trick. He wouldn't be able to easily reach me with those hands of his. It's the legs that worry; perfect height to break teeth.

He makes the first move; hands together like a mallet, crashing down on me. It's a trick. Keep my eyes on his legs as he prepares to strike me; dodge to the side as the trunk of muscles flies past me. Teeth find his overextended leg. The blood tastes like warmth and metal and...spices? Shake the head, as if to break the neck of a captured rat; tear the flesh.


quote:

Got a 7 on my Unleash roll, I choose to inflict terrible harm (which should be 3 because teeth) and he inflicts harm on me. Luckily I have armor 2 when transformed! And I doubt his fists are made of silver.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2017 around 11:35

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 0/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes

Circle him. Snap, snap at him. Don't make the mistake of letting him grab you. Once he has flinched, though? Then sink your teeth in and pull out his red flesh.

quote:

Got a 9 on my unleash roll. I'm inflicting terrible harm again, and this time I'm going to find myself in a bad spot.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes

He grabs me, he holds me. He pulls at my ear like a child, trying to tease a reaction out of a friendly dog.

I am no dog.

There is a flurry of paws, of claws scratching and teeth biting and growling, and I am out of his grip.


I barely have a scratch on me. This guy's got no chance, he should just give up.

No. Let us continue. I lick my chops, where his blood still drips. I want more. I howl

quote:

Letting it out to take something from him, in this case his will to fight. I get 1 Corruption.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 20:25

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: Circle of Disputes

Uh. So the liaison of the Tribunal amongst the Cartel is here. What for? Can't imagine, but this is the sort of information that can end up being important. Let's keep it in mind for now.

As I am in my animal form, I can't exactly pocket the medal they give out. At least the Lady of Disputes has been thoughtful enough to pin it on a sash before it was handed to me. I doubt it's going to be worth much, and hell, what if I get cursed if I try to sell it? I guess it's going to end up in my bag.

I can't exactly warn him in my wolf form. Canines can be pretty darn communicative when they need to be, but not with abstract stuff. Plus, I think he has some idea of what's going on. Probably a clearer one of what I have. I'm just going to stick around long enough that it's not going to be considered rude, then I'm going back to my territory. I've been away for too long already.


quote:

Rolled a 7 on Putting a name to a face.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2018 around 22:57

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: East Harlem, Nessa's territory

Normally, I sleep in the basement of the Cohen family. Their grandmother practically never leaves the house, and she doesn't seem to sleep, as she always greets me when I go to crash at their place, wheter that happens at 9 or 2 AM, human or beast.

But of course, I don't do Cartel business there. The whole reason I'm doing this is to avoid dragging these people into Cartel horseshit. I made it known that if those chucklefucks want to talk to me, they can wait at the crossroads where my territory begins. Of course, them being chucklefucks, they often decide that it's much more fun to look for me when I'm doing my rounds, scaring my people in the process.

And the one time they decide to stick to my rules when poking their noses in my place, they manage to make trouble anyway. Fuckers. I race towards the source of trouble, my legs kicking off bits of trash as I go.

quote:

Rolled a 5 on my Keep your cool roll to sneak up on them.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2018 around 12:39

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: East Harlem, Nessa's territory

I growl in frustration. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. The terror on Mrs. Cohen face hurts, it hurts so bad. I gotta get these thugs off of her, but if I go for this masked rear end in a top hat's jugular, they're going to hurt her.

Calm down. Gotta play it smart. The Mutt has to take a back seat for now. I force my canine form to utter human words. It hurts my throat and I sound like a chain-smoking caveman, but sometimes it's needed.

"What you want?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: East Harlem, Nessa's territory

I want to jump at him, snap his neck, drink deeply from his heart, but... no. Not with the gun pointed at poor Mrs. Cohen. Think, Nessa, think...

"You think it's here?" I grunt. It's hard to manage tone in this form, but I hope I sound something like incredulous. "There are kids here. I have... bolthole. In an alley. You... you leave her alone, I show you. But you leave the lady alone."

quote:

Got a 9 on my mislead roll. I choose to create an opportunity and expose a weakness.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: East Harlem, Nessa's territory

I nod, and move out of the house. The weirdo with the distorted voice is behind me; the other two behind him. Good. I don't want them to have a clear shot at me. If these idiots knew anything about canine body language, they could tell right away that I was bluffing. Ears perked, tail straight as an arrow. I'm tense and ready to fight.

I strike the moment we're out of the door, when the second of the two thugs has just gone out. Teeth flash and I bite the hand holding the gun. The Mutt is thirsty, and I'm curious to see if this sucker bleeds.

quote:

Got a 10 on my hit. I take his gun away from him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: East Harlem, Nessa's territory

"How much does the Cartel pay you for this?" I growl at them. My throat is starting to hurt; canine throats aren't meant for words, but what can you do. "Is it worth your hands? Walk out now, if you know what's good for you." I lick my lips; is there something off about the taste of Metal Voice's blood? "Your boss here isn't walking out of here in one piece..."

quote:

I'm trying to persuade them using threats, using Blood because I'm in my territory. But I rolled a 5! There are Bad Times ahead.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: East Harlem, Nessa's territory

Yeah, you better run, cowards. Good thing they didn't see my legs shaking, or this would truly suck.

A lot of werewolves tell me that silver feels like burning to them, or like the stabbing of a serrated blade. To me, it feels sickening, more like poison than anything else. I want to vomit until I've gotten that foulness out of me, but I can't. Not quite yet.

Gotta go check on Mrs. Cohen, make sure that she's okay. After that, I find a nice alleyway where to empty my guts, and then to sleep. To recuperate.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: X|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: Warehouse, Nessa's territory

I nod at Mrs. Cohen, and make my way to the old, decrepit warehouse that nobody uses anymore and that I've turned into a den of sorts. Well, if you can call a bunch of blankets piled in a corner "a den". Still, it's softer than sleeping on the floor, and I'll be damned if I am going to impose on the hospitality of the people I'm meant to defend.

The dreams... they're not good.

Mrs. Cohen is on the floor, her pink, flowery apron marred with blood. Her eyes are cold, distant, lifeless. There are... jackals? Are those jackals? No, I mean, yes; they are jackals, but they have the faces of Cartel people. Big Allie. Kazco. Even some werewolves colleagues of mine.
And they're eating her. And I just stand there powerless, looking at them ripping strips of flesh of this poor woman whose only fault was living in the wrong place. I look at her absent eyes and it hurts more than the most spiteful, condemning glare.


My eyes open wide. How long did I sleep? My breath is shallow. I need to calm myself. Calm down. No panicking. You'll check on them later. Now, deep breaths. Count to ten. Everything will be fine.

Maybe if I repeat it enough I will convince myself that it's actually true.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: O|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: Old Pete's

I get there early. It pays to be early for these kind of things, so you can keep an eye on who's there. I lean against the wall of Old Pete's, before popping some chewing gum in my mouth, just to keep myself busy. God, I wish I'd gotten more sleep.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2018 around 10:01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Blood +1, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Lighthouse -1, Queensguard +1, Brighton Cartel +1, Tribunal +1
Harm: O|OO|OO || Corruption 1/5 || Location: Old Pete's

Tap tap tap, goes my foot on the asphalt. I'm nervous. This has been a stresful week.
I've been trying to get in touch with people that might also have a bone to pick with the Cartel, but no one's talking. Everyone's either too comfortable with the status quo, or too afraid of the repercussions. Can't really blame them, I guess. Most people have something to lose, and the Cartel can take that away. I spit out my gum, and take some deep breaths. Control your frustration, Nessa.

The Cartel reunion didn't help. Rufus, another werewolf working for them, spoke for me when I made it clear that other attempts at encroaching on my territory would not be tolerated. There were a few chuckles from the big fishes (who always assume nothing's off limits for them, the bastards), but I think the smaller ones got the message. Rufus gave me a thumbs up. A nice enough guy, that Rufus, but kind of condescending at times.

Maybe I should have asked me to come with me at this thing. But on the other hand, I'm not that close to him. And who knows what bullshit's going on with this thing. I don't trust him, not really.

What's worse? I've heard rumors that someone else is going to make a play for my territory. A formal one. Rufus let that one slip by when we were rolling out of the Cartel reunion. As I said, good guy.

I nod at Tristan as I see him approach, but my heart's not into it. My hair feels itchy, my feet are uncontrollably nervous. My gut is telling me that something bad's going to happen...

quote:

I rolled a 9 in my Comes with the Territory roll, which means that one of my troubles with the territory surfaces. I choose encroachment

  • Locked thread