Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Old Pete’s, the Revelry

The party is just starting up as most of the stools are shoved in, getting ready for the initial crowd of people. There’s a bouncer at the door, an ogre barely passing as a human, who’s mainly checking that people know what they’re getting into. Keeping out the normies, as it were. They can’t take a punch anyways. There are also a handful of dryads handing out a variety of substances, from Pabst Blue Ribbon to literal Ambrosia, drugs of all sorts although mostly on the softer end. There’s gonna be some trouble making later, you’ll have to be able to walk, after all. The few things that couldn’t be easily be found by Old Pete himself were graciously donated by the Queens Guard, much to the

This is usually the time when things stay happy, because there’s not much alcohol in anyone’s systems. It appears that at least one person doesn’t want to play along. One of the Toms, Grisham’s goons of choice who happen to basically be completely generic white men with clearly demonic auras, seems to want to start something with Murphy before things even get underway. As the Tom squares up , the music stops as Old Pete himself pulls a microphone out of his pants.

“Hey! No, not yet! Come on, we’re not here to fight, we’re here to party! Do a little dance, make a little.. Well, whatever. You want to fight in my bar, you better be loving sloshed! Music back on, and I better see more drinking!”

The squat, older looking gentleman turns off the microphone, shoving it back into his pants where it appears to disappear as he immediately begins dancing to the music.

Murphy

Did you just come here for a party, or were you expecting trouble? Can you tell the Toms apart? Is this professional, demonic or common knowledge? What do you do about what just happened?

Tristan

Are you here as a member of the Guard or just enjoying the evening? You know, outside of what you’re looking into. How well do you know Old Pete? Back to business, have you got any decent idea where to start? What do you do?

Winter Equinox Soiree

Guests are being ushered through the hotel proper to the ballroom as the event begins, mainly to avoid the rabble and the paparazzi. It isn’t a red carpet event, but there’s still a lot of important people coming to a very important event. Most of them don’t know why it’s important. Not that the rest of the world would believe that there’s a ritualistic event that ends with the passing of the seasonal torch from one set of royal faeries to another. Definitely not if you mention demons, wizards and vampires. Luckily, most of the attendees don’t have to worry about being noticed by any of this.

The ballroom, once inside, has pre-assigned seating. Mostly to avoid having to explain to certain members of the community how not to disgust one another just by eating. There have been incidents. Plus, it’s easier to keep people knowing their place if they’re organized in a way to cause as little confusion as possible. There’s logistical concerns, as well. The security forces of the Cartel seem to be organized in a way to focus on the exit and the front of the room. If it wasn’t for some of the demon entourages, it would look downright professional.

Alex

Did you bring your client to the event tonight? Did he bring you? Where did you end up seating-wise? Are you expecting to see your Magister here? What’s the first thing you want to do when you get inside?

Piper

Are you going in as some sort of secret security, or is it pretty obvious you’re his security detail? Where’d he end up, and what’s the worst part about keeping him safe there? What to you do once he gets settled?

Circle of Disputes

Historically, the Circle is not actually a place but an idea. There always needs to be a place to solve one’s problems. It has only gained a physical place with the current Lady of Judgment, who wanted to focus her energies on solving problems rather than having to chase everyone down. She’s turned the former subway platform into a proper social gathering and fight club. Everything’s set up and pre-ritualized as well, since it saves time and makes it a lot easier to clean up any bodies. Speaking of, the Lady of Judgment stands from her makeshift desk and her voice covers the room.

“Are there any more grievances?”

The words themselves make everyone, even those expecting it, at least a little uncomfortable. There’s definitely something supernatural about those words and how they were said. There’s always the murmuring and the scurrying once she stands, mostly by those who don’t want to even accidentally look her in the eyes. Some of them are moving to the makeshift stands and concessions to get properly stocked up for tonight's bloodsport. Heard there was even a battle of wills later on, and those rarely end without something exploding.

“Fine, then let the games begin!”

Fernweh

How well do you know the Lady of Judgment? Did she used to have another title? Do you think the wizard might send people down here? Is there anyone in particular you might be looking for, rather than just hiding down here? You know, for protection or whatever?

Maayo

Is this your first time down here? What do you think of the environment, both as a place of fighting and a court of sorts? What’s the actual plan for recording these things? How are you planning on getting that done?

Nessa

You just found out that you’re fighting second, after a much lesser struggle over a fifty dollar bartab between two hunters, MMA rules for the most part. What sort of rules are you expecting for your fight? What do you know about the Summer fucker in question, if anything? Are you doing anything special to prepare yourself for what’s to come? Is Old Leeroy with you, in the stands?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Circle of Disputes

The fight happening in the middle of everything goes to a second round with the expected cheers and jeers one expects. It’s not a technical fight, but it’s getting the two to settle what they’ve got going on. There’s a few splatterings of spit and blood as the two young men fight in the middle of the ring, some of which land right in the middle of the delicious chicharrónes. This doesn’t seem to affect anyone unusually, especially not as the Hag picks specifically the one with the blood on it and sticks it into her mouth.

The flinching Earl straightens himself up despite the half-second of surprise at the barking from below. As if on queue, a hulking man without a shirt on, his hands already taped and ready to go walks over to the Earl, whispering to him.

At about this time, the bald one in the ring takes a vicious knee to the head and goes down to the wild cheering of the crowd.

Fenweh

“Greengums is fine. Thanks for the treat. Spit it out.” She doesn’t wait for you to react, trampling through the rest. Rude. “What do you want? It better not be something complicated. I have enough going on. Very important going ons. Maybe trade you problems, you look like you’d be good on a search. Better than the Hag who’s skin may be falling off tonight. Out with it!”

Do you bother asking for details? She’s old faerie, which means she’ll take nearly anything that sounds like it as an agreement to help. Of course, then she’d be bound to help you if you succeed. What do you do?

Nessa

Have you ever seen that man before? You can tell he’s not human, not a normal human anyways. You can see that plainly enough. Did you bring any cold iron with you, or did you agree to no weapons?

You hear the Lady of Judgement speak, at a volume over the crowd that would suggest an amazing sound system. “The next fight, a more serious affair! Please, champions, take your place in the ring!”

What do you do?

OOC posted:

If you want to roll Name to a Face, it’d be +Tribunal.

Maayo

These are some great shots so far. Relatively speaking, of course. Do you even know if there’s a rule about recording what’s going on down here, or is it just generally frowned upon? How much time do you spend in the sewers, and are they really distinct? Do you know anything about faerie magic that would explain this place being here but also not being here?

As far as the exits go, there’s the main entrance and exit, covered by two ogres. They look like they might punch first, then ask questions when you’re unconscious. There’s also a rusted open sewer gating, probably just big enough for a relatively small humanoid.

Speaking of ogres, there’s a really large.. Not an ogre, but definitely not a human, lumbering around seemingly unable to stop blocking your view to the fights. Was there a certain amount of footage that the Cockroach King wanted, any particular fights, or just wanted some for fun?

Revelry

Despite the recent shouting and shoving, things seem to have settled back into the pattern of fun that was around before Murphy’s face made an accidental request from the jukebox. Grisham holds back the Tom in question, the other two Toms also getting in the way as the group wanders towards the bar.

Unusually, Old Pete himself seems to be looking around the crowd, looking around for something or someone. He runs into Tristan, putting his hands in the air, his face looking a little more relieved.

Murphy

The Toms settle themselves on the other side of the bar and Grisham tries to get in the way so you don’t look at them. “Look, I’m pretty sure he’s just got a bit of pent-up something. You did break his neck, as must as that matters to him. Hurt for like an hour. He’s just getting one back.” You can tell he’s hiding something, but not much. Seems he was hoping you’d fight back right away and cause some trouble to you personally. He just wants you out of the picture for the near future, and fighting in Old Pete’s seems like the best way to get you to hide your head for a few.

“So, you’re just enjoying a night out, right? No business talk? I’m trying to get a line on the Mutt’s territory, and you might know something. Know nothing’s for free.”

The bartender interrupts, looking between the two of you. “Speaking of, who’s paying for what, here? This isn’t a social club.”

OOC posted:

Mechanically, spending 1 hold and asking “How could I get your character to help me dig up info on Nessa’s territory?”

Tristan

“Tristan! Old buddy! Look, gotta problem only you can help me with!” Old Pete calms down for a second, correcting himself. “Well, okay, lots of people could help me with the problem, but you’re right here. You known Malcolm Reed? He’s not here. Which normally wouldn’t be surprising, because he drinks whenever and does whatever, but he said he’d be here. Like, an hour ago. That he said it, not that he’d be here. Know where he might be?”

Well, this might be a problem. Do you have any ideas where he might be? While he’s notorious for being out in his own world whenever he can be, he’s generally the sort that shows up where he says he will. Do you have his phone number, or is he more of an acquaintance? What do you do?

Soiree

The evening is going by as socially acceptable as possible for an evening with the Faeries Courts, the higher ups of the Cartel and the Lighthouse can. There’s enough questionable food around that everyone but the Spring fae seem to be wary of not accidentally letting food spread and mix. Things are as calm as they can be, given that there’s no less than two people who have grudges with people at the very same party. We are still only at the dirty looks phase of the evening, and there hasn’t been any violence at a Soiree in years.

The security seems well connected with one another, talking between themselves as things get moving. And they are talking a lot. Nothing else obvious is going on in the scenery.

Alex

Leonard continues without a bit of offense, but you can’t tell if it’s a politeness thing or if he knows you’re uncomfortable. Part of the problem with being detached, I’d assume? “What I was saying is that all of my writings are metaphorical in nature! It isn’t about the actual people involved, they only represent the truth behind what we have, as a living spirit.”

The rest of the soon to be seated group nods intellectually, either in agreement or in quiet pacification of Leonard. Do you actually know anyone else at the table as your group gets seated? Do you want actually care? Leonard holds the chair for you to sit.

You see Piper across the room, wearing a dress that you know isn’t hers. Are you in a similar situation or do you have a go-to for Lighthouse events? Do you see anyone in particular else you wanted to see for the job?

Piper

“And then he says, what do you mean, that’s no newt!” The words coming out are luckily not from Alistair himself, but from his uncle Francis. Also known as Francis the Artificer for his skills or Francis the Clown for his sense of humor. Still, it’s a polite dinner party, so everyone is giving his attempts a polite chuckle until the alcohol kicks in. Alistair takes the lead in the conversation, making sure to introduce you.

“Everyone. Francis. I didn’t want to interrupt, but I don’t know if you’ve met my date.” He says casually, with the subtlety of a brick. “Piper Steele. Piper, you’ve met Francis, but these are my siblings Meridith and Tobias.” Both of them are polite, but firmly not interested in anything but introductions and small-talk. The two siblings look very much like they're going to a Fortune 500 board meeting, compared to Alistair who looks like he's trying to ride the wave of being hip and Francis who looks like someone ran over a college professor with an accessory rack.

How well is the Steele family known in New York City? For their work? What do you know about Alistair’s family? Do you think they could have sent the letters? Have you actually seen the threats?

OOC posted:

:siren:ALL PLAYERS:siren:
I've only used pictures on characters that I have a good idea on. If you have ideas, please feel free to post them. We can track them on the Spreadsheet. Also, if I've missed anything vital, please let me know. There are always going to be lots of words going back and forth, so I want to try to stay on top of things.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Revelry

The party continues with only a single interruption. A voice overpowers all the music, surprisingly pleasant for the sheer presence of the voice. “The wassailing will begin in thirty minutes. Please take care to have your human guises on if you leave the bar. We don’t want a repeat of last year’s events, despite how much fun some of you think it is to put a policeman in the trunk of his own car. Thank you.”

The voice fades away back into the music seamlessly

Tristan

“Thanks, buddy! Look, I’m going to need to help a guy not projectile vomit after he’s done some real absinthe from the faerie side of things, but after that, I’ll check in.” Old Pete walks away like this is a completely normal event, with what seems to be a joyful look on his face.

For a vampire, how easy was it to find the dribble of still-wet blood about a block down? Does wet blood remind you of food, or have you outgrown that phase? What about a smudged bloody footprint? What’s the footprint look like?

Do you want to follow the blood? As you try to focus on the path, you do notice the amount of blood is increasing, leading towards a manhole cover and then stopping. Probably going underground. A living thing would not be in very good shape losing as much blood as you’ve seen right now.

Speaking of, when’s the last time you ate? Do you remember? Are you suddenly more worried about it? What do you do now?

OOC posted:

If Tristan has eaten, take -1 forward and 1 corruption just to focus on getting over the blood. If Tristan hasn’t eaten, take -1 ongoing on any social interactions until he’s eaten.

Murphy

Grisham spittakes when you mention the Tooth Fairy. “..-The- Tooth Fairy? What the gently caress would I know about the.. You’re serious, aren’t you? I just found out a few months ago we even had a proper Tooth Fairy in the city.”

You can’t tell if he’s stonewalling you or not, but he seems suddenly a lot less interested in talking. More focusing on enjoying his beer. Possibly on not laughing. “If I hear anything, I guess I’ll give you a call? gently caress. The tooth fairy?”

That was a whole lot of nothing. So far, at least. Plus, you’re still pretty sure he had that Tom push you into the jukebox. Still, did you know if the Tooth Fairy was supposed to be here? Know who to ask about people being missing? What do you do?

Soiree

The continued polite chatter of polite high society continues and fades a bit once you’re into the hallway leading to the bathroom. It has an extra security guard, although this one looks like he’s a rookie at this sort of thing. He may be from the hotel. That shouldn’t be a problem.

Alex

Carita is standing in the bathroom, looking slightly curiously at you as you step inside. She’s dressed in a dark orange-red power suit, and has an attache case with her. You notice that there’s an aura of magical energy coming from it.

“You don’t seem like the dating sort, Alex. Was there anything specific you wanted? How did you want to pay? Your credit is clean, and it’s always good to have the fateless one on the books.”

She’s somehow slipping in the bare minimum of asking about your current situation. Is that unusual? Do you have any specific items you’re looking for, or still trying to find good candidates? What do you do when Piper comes into the restroom after a brief pause?

Piper

Did you mean to interrupt whatever was going on in this particular restroom, or was it just a coincidence? Either way, the woman in the suit is giving you a dirty look, as if trying to convince you to leave. Do you know the woman?

Alex is there too. The two look like they were trying to do something before you entered. Do you care what it is? Do you think it will help?

What do you do?

Circle of Disputes

The participants in the next fight are not even announced,led to the ring by a few of the faerie entourage of the Lady of Judgement. Unusually, the Lady of Judgement stands up, starting to speak over the entire room again.

“For the conflict between our dear old friend Old Leeroy and the Earl of Whispered Promises, they’ve chosen two brave champions.”

A loud gong sounds, despite there being no such gong. The ring seems to stretch a bit to realign with the two heavy hitters. The crowd gives a cheer as things begin.

Nessa

Old Leeroy says one last thing as you pass by him. “Good luck. That’s what mortals say. Don’t know if you need it.” He seems calm, almost certain about what is going to happen. Once the ring re-adjusts, Einar salutes you from across the ring, crouching down into a modern boxing stance as he carefully moves in.

Do you put much thought into Leeroy’s pep talk? How do you want to approach the fight? What do you do?

OOC posted:

Unlike a normal Unleash, given that this is two fighters in a ring with a crowd around, go ahead and describe the move as more of a back-and-forth. The mechanics won’t change.

Fernweh

“Twenty-four hours, then. You will be hidden from magic and other sympathetic tracking. Complete the task, you will be all but invisible to your hunters for as long as you want. You see the troll there? His name is Kazco.” The Hag doesn’t stop to let Fernweh look, continuing quickly. “He has an infestation in one of his underground facilities. Don’t ask too many questions, fix his problems, I’ll fix yours.”

She drops a small pouch on the table. It smells real bad, like some sort of cleaning solution mixed with foul herbs. “Any questions?”

Maayo

Kazco continues to shift around in front of you, but then he turns around from the fight for a second. “You okay? I can hear you movin’ around. Not making me comfortable.” His fist in his opposite hand, his knuckles cracking loudly over the sounds of the fight and the crowd. It’s unnerving, to say the least.

“Stop.”

What do you do?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 11, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Soiree

The party seems to be gaining some steam, at least from what you can hear from the distance away from everything. Probably just getting a few drinks into a few important people and everything loosening up. There was supposed to be some sort of keynote address before the final ceremony, so there’s still time to get things done.

Alex

“If you need it now, the bill will be costly. Just doing business, of course. If you need it for a ritual, it needs real sympathetic connection. Luckily for you, I’ve got some ideas how you can pay this off. In time, of course.” Carita snaps her fingers as a goblin appears from one of the bathroom vents, with a piece of bark. “Proof of ability. You know what that is, correct?”

You can tell it’s magical in nature, and related to the Fae, but can’t really tell much more without either time or magical senses.

“Two marks for myself and a personal request to try and convince your date to pick his next story from someone who wouldn’t make some of my cousins so very uncomfortable. Less stereotypes, if he must.”

You can’t tell if she’ll negotiate, but would you even want to negotiate? Have you tried before? How did it go?

What do you do?

Piper

Well, this certainly is a very interesting corridor, isn’t it? There’s a few plants, most likely fake, and there’s a security guard who’s looking at you pretty awkwardly. About the same time, it hits you that you think you’ve seen this security guard in the front of the room when you got here. You do know that there are some non-humans most likely on the security force, but would they actually look the same?

How often do you work for or with non-humans? What’s it been like?

In The Kitchen

Another man looking exactly like the one currently staring at Piper, seen checking his pistol. He’s hidden from the rest of the party-goers. A third man arriving, giving the second just a nod.

Circle of Disputes

The fight continues, both sides looking to land a few blows. The orthodox fighting stance of the old soldier seems to be standing up against the werewolf, but there are clear signs of wounds on him. The werewolf seems unharmed for the moment, although it would be hard to tell given her form.

Nessa

The fight is seemingly going well, despite some bumps and bruises given to you by your opponent.The soldier is fighting very smart, however, and this may take a while trying to pound him into the ground. What you just did has maimed people before, but he seems bruised up pretty good.

He switches into an open grappling stance, realizing just how much faster you are. It doesn’t matter how hard you hit if you can’t move.

The crowd seems to have quieted down. Can the crowd quieting make things easier? Harder? Do you care about that?

OOC posted:

Mechanics! Take 3-harm from the return fire, using your armor as normal. He has an extended harm track compared to PCs, but doesn’t appear to have any armor of his own naturally.

What do you do?

Fernweh

“Bugs.” By the short answer, you can tell that she’s hiding something. Not lying, of course, just that these aren’t normal bugs. “Works against all magical detection, no strings attached. If you wanted a ratshit spell, you could have asked any of the amateurs down here.”

The Hag looks back towards the troll. “No more questions. You have your tools and your job. Twenty Four Hours. Goodbye, little trashling.”

Before you can get a clear sense of what’s happening, the Hag seems to be gone. All that’s left is that pouch, which may be a clue in itself. That and Kuzco, who seems to be balling up his fist towards Maayo.

Maayo

Kuzco extends his fist, with something that you’re pretty sure is a smile. “Your hand is too small to shake. Let me hold your object, give me some help on a little human problem, and I’ll agree to return the tape. We can discuss business later. Accept?”

His cadence and pronunciation is all over the place, but he seems pretty straightforward. Well, at least he isn’t going to punch you if you agree. Might not even punch you if you disagree. I mean, if you didn’t give him some reason to get you hunted down by the minor courts, anyways.

What do you do?

Revelry, across the street

People and generally humanoid non-humans are gathering right outside the pub, smoking cigarettes and god knows what else. There’s a pair of extremely attractive faeries leading the way, wearing way too little for the middle of the snowy winter.

Murphy

There’s no sign of Jim. This doesn’t seem like the kind of party he’d miss, though. As you head back to talk to Tristan, you notice the blood as well. That doesn’t look like a vampire feeding level of blood. Are you going to ask him what that’s about? Wait for him to tell you?

Tristan

Other than the head-bashing part, what do you know about Murphy? She a regular at your place, or just another acquaintance in the wild world of the New York supernatural community?

Tristan & Murphy

The obvious way to follow the trail of blood would be the manhole, but that might take some work and someone might notice. Any other ways down you can think of? Do you think anyone outside would notice or care if you just left it open?

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

OOC posted:

This is a quick post to try to keep things moving to a place where you can talk if you want and/or get things done on your own time. I'll be around for clarification during the next week but don't feel obligated to post.

Maayo/Fernweh

The troll grins, way too many sharp teeth to be comforting. He misses the switching of the memory cards, instead focusing on Fernweh and her talk. "Yeah. Got bugs from where we collect the Redleaf. Need little people like the two of you to get rid of them. Hag says those pouches should do the trick if ya set them up right. Equ.. Equ.. Like, spread out. You know what I mean. You won't need a ritual or nothin', just watch your steps. Any questions?"

After he answers any questions, he will continue recording for Maayo.

Alex

"No rush? Fine, you'll find the items delivered to your home when they are found. Ritual quality, of course." You feel as though she might take her time for this one, perhaps even on purpose. She's also not been promised not to say anything, but you do expect some professional discretion. But the deal is made. "Now, if you don't mind, I need to see about my own business. You have my number if you need it. Don't do anything stupid."

She leaves as matter-of-fact as she entered, not even bothering with a handshake. The goblin disappears without a trace.

Tristan/Murphy

The manhole comes off without too much extra effort. As you both hop down, you notice that the trail of blood picks up a little in amount, but disappears randomly into the sewer. You can trace the general direction further into the sewers, but you're pretty sure that the sewers are a giant maze if you don't have some sort of way back out.

What's the worst thing that you've seen in the New York sewers?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Piper & Alex

The guard straightens up as the two of you start talking, looking back past everyone for a moment before speaking into his two-way radio. "Patrolling the far side." He takes a step back into another hallway, moving out of your sight. The whole thing seems a little suspicious, but that may just be the fact that neither of you have any way of knowing when and where an attack might come from.

Do you react? Is it just your imagination?

Piper

How do the Corrupted generally control people? Is it just something dark magic does?

Alex

When's the last time you've heard the calling of the creatures from the void? Do they speak to you, or is it more of a pervasive animal sound?

Fernweh & Maayo

"They're rat-sized. Nothing you can't handle physically. I need to go." Kazco gives the most obvious wink known to man to Maayo, following by turning back towards the fights. Any attempt to talk to him after this moment gets ignored.

As you head out the front and towards the location, you notice that you're leaving the sewers proper. As you keep moving through, it looks more like the sub-basement of a building. Hard to tell exactly where you are just by looking, but the smell of chemicals make you think this is some sort of industrial site. The specific directions seem to lead you to a pump room. There are no signs of any infestation yet, just signs that there used to be people who lived here and are currently not living here. Old, put out fires and some gear left behind.

What do you do?

Fernweh

Do chemicals smell different as an Unclean Fae? What about industrial waste? Anything like that?

Maayo

How well do you know the city from the underground? Do you think you could figure out where you are?

Tristan

As you investigate the walls, you notice lots of scratches on the walls. They look like tooth marks, like someone is chewing into the walls. Right next to it, there's a word scratched into the wall. INFECTION

Murphy

You look around in the obvious ambush points, clearing the room of any hidden dangers without a problem. Overhead, however, there's a sound of some sort of four-legged creature running overhead. You hit a nearby pipe by accident and they all stop at the same time. They're not quite chirping, but the sound is unpleasant.

Tristan & Murphy

The sound of the ceiling being tore.. chewed through as two sets of jagged toothed humanoid mouths pop out from the ceiling. If you've seen the Tooth Fairy, these look like corrupted, toddler-sized versions of it. They don't look like they're much in a fight, but you can see more in the ceiling.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nessa

The soldier cringes, barely grabbing onto your arms. As you look at the soldier's wounds, the beast inside growls to you. Stalling. He's stalling. Einar looks over your head for a moment, as the Earl of Whispered Promises is seen whispering with an awkwardly leaning man, flowers in his hair and an awkward smile on his face.

A few nods were shared between the two of them, before Einar pulls your head back around, pulling on one of your ears. End this. Einar's face shows quite a bit of pain on his face. He seems to just be holding on, trying to make this take longer.

What do you do?

Fernweh & Maayo

The pump room seems full of three things: uneaten Redleaf, eaten Redleaf and an uncomfortable amount of naturally fertilized dirt. The directions were simple enough, just need to bury the main bag in the middle of the room, then do a small offering on top of the bag. The Hag wasn't clear what the other bag was for, whether it was a second chance, an offering or something else.

As you both scan the room, the sound of chittering is heard as a large rat with the head of a boar pops out of one of the holes in the wall. If the infestation is active, the chances of having enough time to do even the simplest of rituals might be difficult. Especially as more sounds of little boar ratlings are heard from behind the walls, echoing slightly.

What do you do?

Murphy & Tristan

Between the two of you, you figure out how to get away from the swarm of creatures as they scurry past and most likely back into the walls. The sharp smell of chemicals both masks the scent of the blood and probably your own as well. There's a trickling trail of blood down the hallway, stopping at a corpse on the ground but continuing down the same path.

Taking a closer look, the body is of Jim, the small sign of melted provolone on his rough beard being the major giveaway. His eyes are just sockets, and his chest looks like someone dug into him for parts. It's hard to tell which parts. The blood trail is more visible further into the industrial area, seemingly leading to a much smaller room at the end of this path.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alex & Piper

As soon as you say that, an inhuman scream followed by the sudden shattering of plates and glassware that seem to fall by the wayside. All of the pleasant background music stops, and the room seems to erupt in shouting and chaos. From here, it’s hard to tell exactly what is happening, but it isn’t pleasant.

The lights start to flicker, both in the main room and the hallway leading back there. There’s not much time to access the situation, but there haven’t been any signs of gunfire or obvious supernatural power as far as either of you can tell.

What do you do?

Maayo & Fernweh

The small swarm of creatures stop and what feels like a few dozen eyes turn red and begin glaring at the both of you. They know you’re here, and they’re definitely not going to let you get this done. As Fernweh steps forward, there’s a loud screech by one of them, and one of their legs points at each of you. They may not be able to speak, but they can definitely communicate.

The noise permeates the room, echoing in your ears, as other creatures pop out of the dirt beneath the two of you, nipping at your feet with little regard. They have different heads from the rat-boars, some of them looking vaguely humanoid in nature. Do either of you know the Tooth Fairy or Jim the Oracle?

Either way, they seem to be very intent on getting you out of this room. Staying in here is a bad choice, likely leading to getting bitten but it’s also the location needed for the ritual.

What do you do?

Tristan & Murphy

The feeding occurs, but without much time to fully appreciate the situation as a loud screech is heard in the distance. In itself, not exactly a problem, but it seems to cause some stirring in the ceiling. Luckily for you, nothing directly impacts your current situation.

The open doorway seems clear as you approach. Inside looks like a combination of a laboratory and a wizard’s sanctum. Highly technical machines mixed in with magical-looking sigils on the walls. It’s hard to decipher anything from outside the room, but there appears to be magical activity flaring up from the middle of the room.

What do you do?

Nessa

Einar’s eyes close as he slumps to the ground, unconscious from the variety of wounds. You can hear him still breathing but his will to keep fighting is gone. As you refocus on everything happening around you, the bright-haired one is moving away. You get a better look, do you recognize them?

OOC posted:

You can either roll Name to a Face for the Tribunal, or choose to know them or not know them and not care.

The crowd comes up to a cheer as the fight ends, and the staff escorts the both of you outside of the ring area. There are some customary gifts that they hand to you, the winner of the fight. Is it anything important? Anything worth keeping?

Old Leeroy is clapping in the back, appreciative but somewhat knowing. Do you think he knows what’s actually happening? Can you communicate with him in wolf form?

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nessa

On your way out, Old Leeroy nods as you pass by, not speaking but showing appreciation for everything you’ve done for him. He’s gone just as fast as you are, back to his

Before you can even get back to your territory fully, you can smell that there’s trouble ahead. The smell of blood seems to drift directly from the core of your territory. Is there a special place that you call your own?

Either way, it seems to be coming from the location of where you do most of the official Cartel business, when you have to. The smell shows violence, but no gun fire or obvious destructive magic. Whoever was or is doing this is trying to be careful. They’re coming for a direct goal, not just to bust up your stuff.

What do you do?

Fernweh & Maayo

As the blood drops upon the ground, the entire room turns a bright orange and red. The dance number continues while this happens, but some of the creatures begin to fall in well-timed beats.

OOC posted:

Maayo, take 1 harm (AP, if it matters) or make a Keep Your Cool roll to try to mitigate the damage, knowing other bad things can happen.

You both notice that only the room you’re in appears to be affected by the ritual in question. The monsters inside are falling and disintegrating, but the ones outside are continuing to dance, if they’re part of this. The good news, the creatures don’t seem to recognize whatever is happening, like they’re being returned to another form. The bad news, there’s still a lot of them, and those still around seem to know how the tune goes.

Fernweh’s spell has another 30 seconds, at best, before it ends.

What do you do?

Tristan & Murphy

Murphy, when you look into the lab and the surroundings, you sense that corruption that was mentioned before. It isn’t like you, or other demons. Not like anything you’ve ever sensed before. Whatever it was, it felt raw and primordial. You can tie little trails to some of the creature that you’ve run into, but it’s been forced into them. Likely by some of the equipment in the lab.

Things get really unusual when the sounds of Smooth Criminal interrupt your attempt to pillage the magic lab. As if on cue, a screeching alarm goes off in the room you’re in. It isn’t directly affecting either of you, but it definitely will bring attention to your location. About that same time, you hear a voice, sounding very weak. “Please.. Help..”

Over the screeching, you hear the sound of something big, growling from down the tunnels, either recently activated or awakened. “Who goes there?!”

What do you do?

Alex & Piper

As you sneak back into the main hall, the two of you see the same thing. There’s a number of weapons drawn, both guns and medieval weapons, and they’re being pointed all over the place. The security people are aiming them at one another, along with some of the guests. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on, but they keep shouting about shapeshifters and causing chaos. Dmitri currently has one of his wizard implements pointed at what appears to be a demon, threateningly.

The most important guests, at least for the two of you, seem to be far away from the trouble and the shouting. Leonard seems to be quietly standing back, his hands up in the air, trying to seem as harmless as possible. It isn’t difficult for him. Alistair appears to have tried to hide behind both his chair and his siblings, and seems to be in a far more panicked state. He’s mumbling at quite the speed.

Two different men, looking exactly like the security guard from the bathroom hallway, can be seen high up on the ceiling, looking to dive down onto both Leonard and Alistair, large knives drawn already. They’re clearly not human, but their outward face wouldn’t give it away if it wasn’t for their position. Unless you break out of your hiding place, your clients are going to be dead in short order.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Fernweh & Maayo

Fernweh leans back, holding herself at an impossible angle. The rats and other creatures try to follow along, but lose their footing. They start to fly through the nearby rooms, as if a large vacuum are sucking them in. Unfortunately for Maayo, he forgot the key was just to keep his feet off flat surfaces. His feet try to force him to make like Walken in Weapon of Choice, and he immediately ends up floating in the air, surrounded by little popping creatures.

However, as the lean stops, Maayo gets dropped right into another pile of manure, this one with some active redleaf plants in it. What's the one reason you don't want to fall into redleaf?

Fernweh's phone lights up with a call from Kazco. Did he have your number before?

OOC posted:

Maayo, take 1-harm from the fall, it was hard enough to hurt but not enough to cause serious trauma. However, for both of you, your job is done.

What do you do?

Nessa

As you get to your home, you notice that a few of your crew have been knocked unconscious outside the door. Are they normally securing things here, or on a patrol?

Once you get inside, you notice that the elder Mrs. Cohen is being held at gunpoint by one of the masked men. You can smell that he's either Cartel or just mugged one of them and took all their clothes. As you take a step inside, two more appear behind you, very odd looking pistols in their hands, modified for some sort of syringe payload. You can't seem to smell the other two, as if they're masked completely by magic. The one holding Mrs. Cohen at gunpoint looks backwards, speaking in a robotic tone, voice muffled.

"Oh, good, you came. This is a robbery now, I'd say."

What do you do?

Tristan & Murphy

Murphy, good news for you, that was the sound of a weakened Tooth Fairy, a piece of skin clearly torn off of his arm. Unfortunately, right next to him is an unconscious man who looks rather wizardly. The Tooth Fairy can barely speak, but can walk by himself. They're both shackled weakly to the wall, which shouldn't be too difficult for someone with demonic or even vampiric strength.

"You need to help.. Malcolm. He's.. been knocked out.."

As he talks, the voice from down the sewer tunnel walks under one of the far lights. There stands at least one creature, with multiple heads sewn on to match the first, an ancient stone head. It looks robotic in gait, stomping towards you. A few mouths move at once, saying the same exact words.

"No visitors! No housesitters! No mercy!"

What do you do?

Piper & Alex

The gunshot fires wide from the target, but the knife strikes true in the forehead of the shapeshifter. That's when things start to get gross. The shapeshifter pops immediately into a pile of purple-ish sludge, flying and sticking to the window while still showing signs of inside-out skin wrapped up inside. The splotch is still moving.. or at least dripping down the nearby window.

The other assassin, still in one piece, looks straight into Alex's eyes, smiling with some unreal-looking sharks' teeth. She can hear a voice directly in her head. "Fatebreaker. The darkness co.." Unfortunately, for the shapeshifter in question, a thin faerie blade slices him at the neck, turning him into a splotch onto the nearby table. That one is definitely still moving, sliding around the table.

Unfortunately for Alex, the faerie blade belongs to the Great Prince of Summer, who's standing uncomfortably close to Leonard. Your head seems foggy from the sudden mental intrusion and the sudden cut from it. He doesn't seem to know who Leonard is yet, which is good.

At this point, the stalemate of screaming and fingerpointing gets brought into full gear, gunshots being fired both from now-obvious shapeshifters and daemon security, along with hidden and ceremonial weapons being drawn. Chaos has erupted.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Kazco speaks into the other end, as graciously as he can for someone with no sense of what the word means normally. “Thanks, cousin. Speaking of, Maayo’s cousin was looking for him. I’m out.”

As soon as Kazco hung up, the sound of a shotgun loading was heard in the hallway. One voice shouting right afterwards, “In the name of the Lighthouse, I’ve come to bring you in, Princess Fernweh, for the breaking and entering of a Lighthouse member’s home and personal sanctum.” The echoing of the sewers give the shouting a bit more gravitas.

Another voice, distinct from the first, shouts out as well. “I don’t know how that troll became so trusting, but whatever it was, he was very helpful. Surrender, and we’ll bring you back in one piece, the both of you!”

There are only two sets of feet outside, and it wasn’t these two who fired the shotgun before. So now there’s trouble on many levels. You can tell the way you came in was now blocked by the two wizard goons, but there’s holes all over the place, and whatever weird magic Fernweh has to try to come up with a plan.

What do you do?

The masked man turned towards you, laughing with that robotic tone, his gun still trained on the elderly Mrs. Cohen. “I want the money, the drugs, whatever you keep in this place. Whatever the Cartel wants, I want! I don’t care about Granny and I don’t care about you!”

Inside you, the Beast speaks, preparing you for the fight. “You can reach the gun before he fires. You are strong. Fast. He smells of ale. Take him down. Do it.”

You know that the Beast doesn’t lie to you. Sometimes, the beast doesn’t care quite as much about the consequences. The stand-still continues, the two behind you starting to get visibly nervous trying to keep their guns trained on you. If you do nothing, you’re pretty sure you’ll get shot by whatever’s in the dart, most likely a tranquilizer.

What do you do?

As you shout out to the seelie sidhe, you notice that a few people who wouldn’t look like they’d come to something like this with guns pulled out some rather large caliber handguns, their eyes suddenly turning a dull purple.

The Prince looks straight at you, noticing about the same time that Leonard had started to run away with Piper and Alistair. His eyes narrow, pointing behind you and shouting. “Look out!” A rather large blade comes down on your shield, deflecting partially off of it but still tossing you to the ground.

The Prince charges in your direction, as you look to what attacked you: A horrible abomination of two humanoid figures wrapped up into one another.

What do you do?

OOC posted:

Take 3-harm before armor. There’s no real narrative consequence to the getting knocked over.

The two men try to keep up with your original run, causing you to intentionally slow down, herding them towards the door. It looks like you’ve made your way out cleanly and safely for a moment, before one of the shapeshifters fires a shotgun into your side from one of the hallways. How do you deal with the shapeshifter, in the form of one of the other random dates of the rich and powerful?

The rest of the journey outside is without event, but there’s one small problem: You have no idea where to take them or who to trust outside of Alex, who’s still inside. Do you have a favorite safe house or anything like that to hole up in?

What do you do?

OOC posted:

Take 3-harm before armor.

The shotgun blasts into the creature’s legs, knocking it from a standing position to the ground from a single shot. It still seems to be mobile, and whatever its legs are made out of, they still seem to be functioning, even if it is having a bit of trouble getting back to its feet. The Tooth Fairy hobbles up behind you, grumbling to himself as he leans against you.

“Look, boss. That thing is pretty rough. His master or whatever is still out there too. But I can’t run past it, not on my own. You keep it down, I might be able to get past it.”

You’ve created a few seconds of opportunity to run by the thing, an opportunity Tristan has already taken, but you know the one-legged Tooth Fairy won’t be able to make it quite like that.

What do you do?

That creature, up close and personal, takes a swipe that misses by quite a margin as you charge by, with the oracle in your arms. You make your way past and safely out of the reach of any of the dangerous of that wizard’s lab. Do you know where you are now, at least vaguely?

As you look Malcolm over, you notice he’s still alive but probably in need of medical attention. Nothing dire, but if he doesn’t get to a hospital in a day or so, he’s probably going to have some serious problems. His body has random slices of skin also torn off, nearly fileted off of his bone. It’s disgusting, nothing you could imagine a normal person would do.

The sudden sight of two people in brown trenchcoats, both with guns aimed into a big open room. You can tell they’re wizards. They don’t see you. Hell, they’re probably not even after you. What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

There’s a lot going on in a very, very short amount of time, and none of it is very good for anyone. As Tristan tries to get a look over around the corner, one of the two men notices a single eye, firing his weapon at Tristan, the beanbag round in the shotgun hitting Tristan in the leg while shouting “There’s more of them!” From Tristan’s view, he thinks he’s seen these guys before. Does he recognize them?

Tristan posted:

Take 2-harm.

The two of you on the inside can hear the sound of the shotgun firing, giving a light echo into the bigger room. The voice who shouted the declaration before keeps it simple while given all sorts of information that he has to process. “Why you’re here doesn’t matter to me, we just want to talk! Everyone should put their weapons away, we were told to get answers, not to kill you or get revenge.”

A voice familiar to Fernweh is heard, speaking calmly but his voice projecting over the sewers. “What answers do you want? What information could my page have for you?” What the Cockroach King is doing down in the sewers is anyone’s guess, but Fernweh might have an idea. “And why would you want revenge on the youngest of my brood?”

The gun moves from being pointed at Mrs. Cohen to being pointed straight at you. The distorted voice goes quiet, and the ones behind you move out of the way. “In that case, we’ll let you lead the way, Nessa. I don’t trust you at all, but I feel like we have your attention now.”

He waves you towards the door, letting go of Mrs. Cohen for the moment. “Plus, if you’re lying to us, we can come back and finish breaking everything down. Maybe use some fire.”

The beast inside wants to scream and start ripping things apart.

You’re not entirely sure what happened, but the second shotgun blast doesn’t seem to affect the abomination in front of you. It continues to shuffle towards you and the Tooth Fairy, gnashing many of the forms of teeth, both real and mismatched. There’s a noise coming from the center of the creature, sounding like some sort of digestive distress.

“Feed…”

A sudden spray of liquid sprays over both you and the Tooth Fairy, causing some personal harm to the both of you. As the creature walks forward, you can tell that another major shotgun blast should put it on the ground, even if it won’t kill it. The exposed area from the last blast shows some wires and metal twisted and broken. The Tooth Fairy also falls to a knee, the spray getting into his eyes.

Murphy posted:

Take 2-harm, the Tooth Fairy is basically one hit away from death.

Unloading the revolver into the creature in front of you causes the shapeshifter’s chest to explode outwards, but continues to force its way towards you. As you continue to get pushed back by the chestless shapeshifter, you bump backwards into two other humanoids. From right behind you, you hear the voice of the Prince. “Fateless one, if you stand and fight, I’ll ignore your ignorance in the bigger picture.”

A pistol ends up between the two of you, firing really close to your heads in the hands of a semi-demonic woman in a suit, horns and stone-like features mixed in with human ones. “Less talking, more shooting.” As you follow the gun, you realize that the three of you are at least temporarily surrounded by zombie-like shapeshifters barely keeping their integrity but not seeming to stay down.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

A sudden pull from below drags you much faster than expected, spinning you as you fall down, disorienting you as you start to smell the first scents of the Unclean Court. Everything seems darker than normal, and you feel like you’re falling quite a bit deeper than you remember.

Some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you’re far outside of the sewers of the mortal realm. The bad news is that this isn’t the Unclean Court. At least, not the court you’re used to. Everything looks covered in black splotches, waves of movement from them outside of the items they’re put up against. Nothing seems quite right.

Do you have any idea where you are? What do you do?

Marcel looks over towards Tristan, narrowing his eyes for a second as the vampire speaks. He puts his hands in the air, looking between the three people surrounding him. “Look, like I was telling the ga.. The page. She got caught on security digging around in one of our wizards’ sanctum. Given there was a series of robberies stealing a lot important and powerful relics, we’d like to speak with her. I had no idea there was a.. Goddamnit.”

Jack looks over Maayo’s shoulder, curiously moving his eyes around. “She’s gone. Where’d she go? Look, if she’s gone onto the other side, I think we’d be better off just figuring out what’s going on downstairs and… Ignoring the fact that I’m pretty sure we’re in a Redleaf grow operation. My lord, you don’t mind answering a few of our questions, after we clean up this trash?”

The Cockroach King ends up behind Maayo, possibly moving through the wall but is definitely looking to where Fernweh was. “I’ll answer your questions, if you still need them. I doubt she’d have anything to do with stealing anything powerful. She doesn’t have the will to do that. Not yet, at least. Mortal friend, your friend and my page may be in trouble. Do you wish to help?”

The wizard cops both head towards Tristan. “Where’d you say it was?”

What do you two do?

The shotgun blast hits the creature right in the chest, a few threads starting to unravel quickly as it starts to lose a few of its heads. The open sewing marks show actual viscera which starts to fall and splatter in black and blue colors on the ground. The creature doesn’t look dead, but there’s nothing left that will be able to fight you unless you stick yourself directly in their way. As the creature dies extremely slowly, you look past and see two hooded figures who immediately start running away.

The Tooth Fairy pukes right in front of you, barely able to keep himself standing using the wall to balance. He doesn’t look so hot, and he’ll probably need a hand if you want to be seeing him in one piece.

What do you do?

Alistair looks like he’s going to argue for half a second, but quickly and more importantly quietly nods. As you start to leave to head back inside, armed and ready to go, he shouts at you while getting into his limo. “Thanks again! Let’s never do this again!” He seems to be trying to make a joke. It’s really bad.

Heading up the stairs, the shapeshifters in the hallways are all either dead or basically dead, splatter of humanoid parts and black blood going over everything. As you bust through the door, you notice that Alex, a demon and the fae from before are surrounded. Right as you kick in, weapons ready, you see Alex shouting, a bit of mystical energy sparking off of her.

You gather some mystical energy to try to tie them to this plane, as all of the shapeshifters look straight at you. Sera’s gun blasts one of them right in the face as they start to all realize at the same moment what you’ve done. It passes through the room, creating a sense of panic within them all. The once thought dead suddenly merge together to try to make enough parts to run away, along with some of the panicked civilians showing signs of them being attached to the fate lines.

The unfortunate part is that the creatures seem to be panicking, running straight towards the exits. One of those exits happens to be the one that your friend just kicked through. Another exit has your magister in the way, trying to hold them off with a sword.

What do you do?

You claw the gun right out of the man’s hand, the pistol going flying across the street and Mrs Cohen now far outside of the robber’s reach. As the claw slashes across the hand, blood sprays from the hand. The two goons are now at your sides, trying to point and aim the strange guns at you. One of them shouts towards the boss, “Hey, boss, get out of the way!”

The other one tries to threaten you with the gun more directly, trying to sound tough but doesn’t have the robotic voice device. Her voice gives away the nerves. “Put the boss down, you mutt! This is silver nitrous oxide, it will gently caress you up!” She waves the gun way too close to you while threatening you.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

As you wander through the dark, vaguely familiar halls of the place under the Unclean Court, which is what it feels like. There was a creeping shadow, now forming around a very familiar shape.

It speaks, stalking awkwardly like it was getting used to its new form. “Ah, thank you, Page. You give me form, give me shape. I am the guide, the voice and the shadow. I speak for the space between, not the infection. Before you lies a choice for your future, for your present. Let me clear the way..”

A bright shining light flashes for a second, especially harsh in the shade that you sit in. Two pathways, one covered in fire, the other covered in a waterfall of unnatural sludge. The creature speaks again. “The coming darkness is upon you.”

OOC posted:

Custom move, Escaping the Shadow Courts: If you take the sludge path, mark 2 corruption but no roll is necessary.

If you take the fire path, roll +Spirit. If you get 10+, you survive the ordeal unscathed. If you get 7-9, pick one. If you get 6-, pick one and the MC picks one:

-The fire, despite not being real, feels very real. Take 1-harm AP Fire, which doesn’t heal normally..
-The Gorgonvoice chooses to help you through, owe the Gorgonvoice one debt.
-The experience messes with your head during the next week, take -1 ongoing until after the start of next session.

The Cockroach King’s face seems to twitch for a second, before he smiles to Maayo. It is very unnerving. “Nevermind, the filth is protecting their own. My page will be fine on the geological scale. Let us solve your friend’s problems first. We should be on the move if what I am hearing is correct.”

The two injured people stick back with Marcel, who is calling in backup to investigate the lab. He points towards Murphy. “Don’t worry about these two, we’ve got them if you can help Jack secure the lab. If this is related to what’s going on up top, you’ll want to end up helping us rather than being a pain in our rear end.”

OOC posted:

Investigating this is another custom move: Roll +Mind to help the investigation of the lab. Gain +3 if you’ve used a debt on someone else to help you. On a hit, hold 1 for the investigation. On a 10+, gain +1 on next session’s start of session move and gain a positive reputation with the Lighthouse. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to get one of the below:

-Learn the identity of one of the two rogue wizards, the Artificer or the Alchemist.
-Learn the location of one of the two rogue wizards, the Artificer or the Alchemist.
-Learn who funded and organized the project.

Right as you speak, you feel a spike right into your hand from the boss, followed by both of the unusual guns firing darts into your sides. The feel of silver can be felt from the two darts, sliding through your skin and fur, dumping its contents straight into your veins. Your head starts to feel cloudy as the drugs mix into your blood.

You hear the boss, grabbing his own hands while running. “Split up and get out of here!” The three of them run in different directions, but you have to fight just to get your body moving after any of them.

OOC posted:

To keep up with any of them, first you have to Keep Your Cool to get your body moving faster than a crawl. If you hit, you can go after one of them.

As the rush of shapeshifters, both partial and complete, start heading for the exits. Both Piper and Dmitri stand their ground successfully, not completely unharmed but still standing with a few added to their count. The shapeshifters numbers were too large to have been the masterminds behind this, but that means that something else was going on.

The Prince seems to still be on edge, pointing his blade at Alex and shouting over the sound of the now-calming room. “Where did you take the fat poet?!” Weapons start getting pointed around after that, Dmitri pointing a wand at the Prince and Sera pointing pistols now both at Alex and Dmitri, who now speaks up. “Now’s not the time for pointing weapons at people, we need to make sure he’s safe, that they’re all safe!”

Other than the standoff, the less combat-practiced seem to be cleaning themselves off and straightening themselves up. Do either of you have any other connections with the survivors? With the now-dead?

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

OOC note posted:

Alright, I'm going to hamfist this session ending a little more than I'd like. I'd like to give another week for the people at the hotel to interact to what's going on, but we're basically cooling down.

You step through the firey path, feeling the sting of the fire and whatever weird properties it had left a stylized mark on your sleeve, which feels like burning pain whenever you try and use the arm normally. The sensation continues as you land back into the safety of the Unclean Court. The real thing, not the shadowverse version or whatever that was. You can still hear the voice of the Demigorgon, despite no longer being able to see it. "You and I will see one another again. That is why I let you live." The voice seems to crackle straight into your head, not giving much of an opportunity to respond.

But at least you're safe now. Safe and back at home. You can sense that your lord is looking for you.

[quote]Take 1-harm, won't be healing naturally between sessions.

Murphy's looting tendencies gets her to set off another piece of home-made security, a sharp spike shoots out of the wall, barely nicking her shoulder but not really breaking skin. The spike is covered in some sort of blue-black fluid which not even the mages there had seen before. It probably isn't good for you, but the exact damage may be more than meets the eye. Especially given all the experimentation going on, it can't be good.

Murphy posted:

Mark corruption.

The other investigations go more smoothly, especially since whoever was here wasn't expecting there to be anyone looking through the area. It was a real amateur hour setup for all of their info. The alchemist's trash can was full of receipts, which between the bunch lets Maayo figure out the name: Nathan Martin. By itself, it wouldn't mean much, but just mentioning the name out loud causes one of the nearby wizards' eyes to go wide. "Nathan Martin? Nathan the Mad? Unbelievable. Explains why they're doing the work in the sewers. He's been exiled from the city, as much as the Lighthouse can do that nowadays. This seems like something right up his alley. Good work, kid." The wizard cop gives Maayo a pat on the back.

The financial trail leads back to two names more than once, Callista Matriana and the Kingmaker. Callista Matriana could be the Kingmaker, especially after hearing that one of the people down here was nicknamed Nathan the Mad, but it seems to be clearly mentioning the name at least a few times. Callista is a member of the Cartel, and a pretty high-level one. If there's a conspiracy, telling the wizard cops might not help. What do you do with the information?

The Cockroach King yawns after a little bit, looking around as he did so. "Now, if you all don't mind, I'm going to check on my side of things, make sure whatever's going on here didn't leak too far into the other side. Maayo, was it? Did you want a ride?"

OOC posted:

Murphy knows that Callista is one of the major bosses in the city, in charge of soul acquisitions for the infernal side of things, and dabbling in some bigger criminal enterprises beyond drugs.
Maayo can get a round-trip ticket to the Unclean Court if he wants to wrap things up with Fernweh.

Heading back to the safety of your home, Mrs. Cohen is there, checking on herself and straightening the place back up. The kick from the chemicals is starting to kick in as you force yourself past towards your place in all of this. The last thing you remember is Mrs. Cohen speaking. "Don't worry about us, we can take care of ourselves." What does your place look like? Heading straight to bed seems like the best idea you have going for you if you don't want to fight whatever tranqs the burglars used.

What do your dreams feel like, knowing that this could have been a lot worse?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alex & Piper

The weapons gets pointed downwards, but only the Prince speaks up, his voice showing something resembling anger. "It's more complicated than that. We did not want to kill either of them. Especially not the annoying one. The playwright needed to be secured, that is all. Given what happened tonight, the entire situation seems to escalated to simply smuggling him to the other side may not give us what we need. It means we will need to secure those among us who may be connected to this, either being hunted or who may be working for them."

The room is slowly calming down, but people are still looking at one another suspiciously among the survivors. Piper, you notice one of the security guards was a fellow independent hunter, Marcus Wright, stabbed in the back. Alex, one of your former fellow apprentices, Natalie Mabiala, who's still alive but is holding a hell of a cut against her gut. Overall, there's been a lot of chaos.

Fernweh & Maayo

The Cockroach King, without a bit of effort, pulls Maayo through the walls of the Court. Maayo didn't even have time to get disoriented before taking the two steps through and feet on firm ground. The King puts his hands up, trying to tell Fernweh to calm down. "Broodling, please, I'm right here. There's no need to shout. I brought your human, he wished to ensure your safety. Everything is handled back on the mortal side, but we should talk to the wizards about this little problem you have. Especially since I know what sort of things you steal."

He doesn't seem disappointed or bothered at all from what he's saying, speaking very matter-of-factly. "What did you find?"

Everyone

The next day, there's a mass message for all of you:

For Fernweh & Maayo: From the Cockroach King
For Alex & Piper: From Alex's Magister
For Murphy & Nessa: From Murphy's boss.
For Tristan: From Old Pete, of all people.

The message was sent individually down a chain of people to trustworthy people. Whether it was because of the recent work or something else, you all get the message that there's going to be a meeting about the current issues with infections, meeting at Old Pete's, with a much different atmosphere than the previous event. Invites only. Do you want to invite anyone? Do any investigations of your own? Other side work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Everyone

OOC posted:

The previous session has ended! If you want to do the +1 and -1 to faction as part of the end of session move, you can. The same goes for collecting on any debts that you feel you either owe or are owed to you.

Instead of the Start of Session move, I’m going to be doing love letters for everyone. Hopefully, without too much trouble. Each of them should end up with you marking a faction, either of your choice or limited by what hasn’t been marked already.

Also, everyone recover 1-harm automatically. If you’re Fernweh, you have to keep 1 harm even if this recovery would take it away.

Finding Piper’s safehouse was a little harder than you thought it’d be, probably better for hiding people in the short run. Carita’s shipment comes in, and was everything you needed to make the protective talisman. It even came with a little note attached from Carita.

-You’ll want to hurry if you want to keep the courts off of your boy. Seems to be a lot of angry sidhe. At both of you.-

At least she was kind enough to give the warning. Unfortunately, this means most of the typical sources of unusual information are right out: Both the Lighthouse and the Tribunal want to keep their hands clean of you before the meeting, plus most people are walling themselves in metaphorically as time goes.

The Queens Guard don’t know where to find it, but are always willing to help for a good price. Worrying about what the sidhe think is for people higher up on the food chain, not the ones who’ll have to fight with these creatures out in the open. Do you know anyone in particular?

Alex posted:

When you use the Queens Guard Network, roll +Queens Guard. On a hit, you find out where to find what you’re looking for. On a 10+, they already have an in, all you need to do is show up and collect it. On a 7-9, pick one:

-The source of the information or the item already has issues with you.
-Someone finds out about what’s going on that you didn’t want to know about it.
-You owe your initial contact point a debt.
-The location of the information or item is well-defended.

On a miss, either pick 2 or the object or information can’t be found by normal means.

How does Mr. Vitalie get a hold of you, usually? Is it unusual that he’s sending a text instead, or is he a modern demon, as far as these things go? Either way, you’ll probably have to put your plans aside unless you can think of a really good excuse.

Murphy, need you to look into something. Non-negotiable. Need you to look into something for me. I’ve heard rumors that someone’s attempting to muscle in on The Mutt’s territory. Don’t care about that, personally, but if they’re a burglary crew, this could grow into a bigger problem. Look into it, find out what you can, don’t tell them it’s for me. Try not to kill anyone, but break a few noses.

The address is an abandoned warehouse around Brownsville, far enough away from Nessa’s place. What do you do?

Muphy posted:

Salvatore spends a debt for you to do this. If you want to try to weasel out, you can with Refuse To Honor A Debt. If you don’t, you’re stuck with the Warehouse job.

The warehouse has a dozen teenagers. If you engage them in aggressive interrogation, roll +Blood. If you engage in bribery and negotiation, roll +Heart.

On a 10+, everything works reasonably well, and you find out the information you’re looking for. On a 7-9, you get what you want but either take 2-harm or 1 corruption, having to fight for it or punch street kids who don’t know any better.
On a miss, either the kids get away or you really gently caress up. Either way, you don’t get what you’re looking for.

Since you’ve held that little tidbit in your back pocket, finding them for a meeting should be easier. The first thing you learn, easily enough, is that the Kingmaker isn’t a legitimate name but some sort of pseudonym. Either the man who wrote the info was fed the pseudonym instead of a real one, or he made it up himself. Knowing about that could give you leverage on Callista, but it could also cause panic.

Luckily, you already are linked into the Queens Guard, so finding out where Callista would be willing to meet you shouldn’t be too hard. The network is right there, and you know the insides of it pretty well.

Tristan posted:

Go ahead and use the Queens Guard Network move as well. See Alex’s section for details.

Also, any particular type of info you want on Old Pete for your start of session Web move?

Kazco gets you your footage, and apologizes for the mix-up. All humans sort of look the same to him, so it’s hard for him to tell people apart at times. He even says he’ll remember that you don’t have any wizard cousins. Do you have any wizard cousins?

Does anyone on the supernatural side of things read your writing that you know of? What about your cousin’s newspaper? Obviously, not the information about the lizard people, who everyone knows is a combination of anti-semitic rhetoric and a cover-up for former dragons during the 19th century. But the items that could be relevant to locals through codes or deciphering real information from the ramblings.

A few days before the meeting, you receive an e-mail from a throwaway e-mail address telling you that the person would like to meet and offer you something more substantial and official within the Queens Guard. Nothing more than what you’re doing already, although the details about what it actually is. The last words are a request to meet, cryptic as the rest of the e-mail.

Meet me where the Guard was founded. Bring some food to share.

-The Rook

It doesn’t sound like much of a request, but the whole thing reads like it’s a batboy away from something your cousin would write.

Maayo posted:

If you want to meet the person by solving the puzzle, roll +Queens Guard to gather the information needed. On a hit, you get enough information for the meeting. On a 10+, either you find out more about The Rook or you bring their favorite kind of food.

If you’d rather look into The Rook, use Face to a Name, but the information will be limited due to The Rook not being much of a public figure.

Remember that you have a +1 to this roll for your help with the investigation.

Trying to sell drugs you technically stole from the Cartel back to the Cartel takes some real moxy, but you know that the Cockroach King wouldn’t care unless you got caught. So, there’s an obvious solution: Don’t get caught. Also, if you don’t charge cash, you can probably get away with whatever you do.

Did you have anyone in mind in particular? Or just trolling around, hoping to catch someone who might be useful later?

Fernweh posted:

If you try to sell drugs in the city, roll +Brighton Cartel. On a hit, you gain a debt on a low-level dealer or customer who’ll have some information in the future. Name them. On a 10+, they’ll tell their friends about you or tell you about their friends, your choice.

On a miss, the Cartel thinks you’re muscling in on their territory, whether you are or not.

Right before the meeting, the Lighthouse cops still want to talk to you, despite the fact that they believe you’re innocent. Do you go see them ahead of time, like your dad asks, or are you going to do your own thing?

Mission accomplished. The shapeshifters seemed to have some idea about Alex, about the whole situation, but you’re not sure about what they are beyond that. Did your father keep good notes about what he found? What about your grandfather? What other family members were involved in all of this?

Whatever notes you find tell you that if you want to find something that you need help with, you need to look for The Source. It gives an address, which happens to be a cross-street in SoHo. No actual address number. Do you try to follow it? Find another source of information?

Piper posted:

If you follow The Source, roll +Tribunal. On a hit, you get access to a mysterious source of ancient texts, prophecies and hidden secrets. On a 10+, your trip through the parts outside of reality impresses the Source’s Caretaker, who’ll give you additional information right away. Once you’ve made the journey, you can repeat it without this roll.

On a miss, you get lost in the parts outside for a while. Take one corruption and get spat back out with a single useful text.

Otherwise, use Hit The Streets to find someone who might have more information.

Even if they didn’t steal anything of value, you know that the Cartel is going to sense some blood in the water with how everything went. Luckily, with the events at the Soiree that you missed out on, there were much bigger problems going on. Ironically, this may also be your best time to find a better way out of this situation with the Cartel.

A few days before the proper meet at Old Pete’s, the Cartel has their own meeting where there were many pointing fingers, shouting and a lot more chaos than normal. There were even accusations of some of the other bosses being shapeshifter plants. The robbery attempt was a bullet point, but declared by some as a distraction from the real trouble at hand. Did you say anything? Do you have someone that talks for you during these meetings, since they’re at night?

Nessa posted:

Roll +Cartel. On a hit, you find someone who’s just as sick of the Cartel bullshit as you are, at about your level in the hiearchy. On a 10+, you’ve worked together before and they owe you a debt for what you did for them. Tell us what happened.

On a miss, take a -1 ongoing to your start of session move due to looking distracted at the meeting, people seeing an opportunity to attack.

Everyone

The meeting comes with an optional plus one. Old Pete’s will be neutral grounds, as it always is, so anyone bringing weapons better keep them holstered. Will anyone be bringing anyone in particular?

The general goal of the meeting is to try and figure out what’s going on with the shapeshifter attack, and what to do in the future. Do you have any ulterior motives?

• Locked thread