Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is tempting but ive never done a game like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Multiplayer Dominions is very fun and you will have a blast in your noob games. Once you leave noob games you will never get even the slightest enjoyment from it ever again.

Killing MA Ermor with you and Kitfox on our newbie game still ranks among my best Dominions moments.

Especially considering grizzled veterans can't seem go long enough without backstabbing each other to not get swallowed by skeletons.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Especially considering grizzled veterans can't seem go long enough without backstabbing each other to not get swallowed by skeletons.

So true, I lived long enough with Ulm to summon hundreds of vampires because people backstabbed each other, also ramc was afraid of iron blizzardss

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe posted:

Stop sandbagging.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So apparently in this version, pretender gods are permablessed. I hope you fuckers are ready to get kicked in the dick by my prot 35 cyclops :black101:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

IAmThatIs posted:

So apparently in this version, pretender gods are permablessed. I hope you fuckers are ready to get kicked in the dick by my prot 35 cyclops :black101:

Only in their dominion fyi so don't do something silly and get yourself killed

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Taking the Air go fast bless x5 gives your units +150% combat speed. Taking Water's quickness adds 100% combat speed, and these will stack and multiply together to get up a total of 5x combat speed if you take them both.

In totally unrelated news, Helhirdings wielding light lances were seen doing 50 base damage on their first hit after a charge earlier today.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like this game and I'm glad I bought it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Density posted:

Stop sandbagging.

honestly just trying to decide if I'm going to spend $35 or whatever and end up being too stupid to figure it out

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's really hard to get my head wrapped around the changes. So much of the Dom4 metagame was based on an array of overpowered options nestled among literally thousands of trap or niche options. Well, every single option has shifted in power - not just because options got tweaked, but because the battle, movement, and recruiting systems all got changed. Dom5 is familiar in structure but feels drastically different in the details. The fact that the old army-killing battlefield nukes are nerfed is a titanic change imo, and that's just one example.

Also, reposting for the new thread: I made an alternative to the built-in map generator. It's much more restrictive in options, but as a result it won't gently caress your start location horribly. Also it looks different.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Game is good, exhibit one:

Sumerian giants have a dragon chariot.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

IAmThatIs posted:

Game is good, exhibit one:

Sumerian giants have a dragon chariot.

Uruk owns. Literally first thing I did in Dom5 was make a solo game and trample everything with dragon chariots.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
Continued a proud brain worms tradition from Dom 4 by buying Dom 5 :patriot:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Uruk owns. Literally first thing I did in Dom5 was make a solo game and trample everything with dragon chariots.

Sounds like fun. Is the goon multiplayer system set up for this or will we have to find alternatives?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

sullat posted:

Sounds like fun. Is the goon multiplayer system set up for this or will we have to find alternatives?

theres a game hosting service made by naksu (dom5.snek.earth) but not a lobby system yet. im trying to host a multiplayer game right now with signups here http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/412 but i dont think it will work for turn tracking.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

eonwe posted:

honestly just trying to decide if I'm going to spend $35 or whatever and end up being too stupid to figure it out

Yes and yes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Taking the Air go fast bless x5 gives your units +150% combat speed. Taking Water's quickness adds 100% combat speed, and these will stack and multiply together to get up a total of 5x combat speed if you take them both.
The fastest unit in the game with a lance are White Centaurs, who handily come on a faction that gets good access to Gift of the Hare to raise their CS to 200%, then have that quickness'd, for an eye watering 174 combat speed. It's Good.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 28, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The second thing I did was make a Marverni pretender with +unit size and as many stacks of +unit movement speed as I could fit. I call it the Rocket Propelled Boar Launcher.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Corbeau posted:

It's really hard to get my head wrapped around the changes. So much of the Dom4 metagame was based on an array of overpowered options nestled among literally thousands of trap or niche options. Well, every single option has shifted in power - not just because options got tweaked, but because the battle, movement, and recruiting systems all got changed. Dom5 is familiar in structure but feels drastically different in the details. The fact that the old army-killing battlefield nukes are nerfed is a titanic change imo, and that's just one example.

Also, reposting for the new thread: I made an alternative to the built-in map generator. It's much more restrictive in options, but as a result it won't gently caress your start location horribly. Also it looks different.

Looks awesome. Does this work in 5?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly quite liking Erytheia, the amphibious nation I posted about earlier.

Scripting their mages is infuriating because there are entirely too many possible path combinations (as opposed to, say, playing Ctis and going "95% of you morons will be summoning skeletons forever", but by the same token you can pull a lot of weird bullshit out of your rear end.

edit poo poo it was in the other thread

quote:

Mar 28, 2010
Erytheia, the new LA quasi-underwater nation, seems... good?

- Cap-only sacred heavyish infantry with awe when abovewater
- Cap-only mages that will range from "alarmingly good and terrifying for the cost" to "lol 3 points in 3 different paths", averaging 5 path points (and two holy) for 210g. Also, 5% insanity :cthulhu:
- aquatic mages that can turn 3 water gems a turn into astral pearls at a 1:1 ratio
- coastal-and-underwater mages that are 1f1s, 1 (EFWA), 50% W, 50% E, 50% A, 165 gold, sacred (which is sub-ideal in noncap mages, but hey, at least they're half upkeep), good researchers
- landlocked mystics that I think are totally normal mystics, 1S 1 (FWES), aka communion fodder mostly
- coastal crossbows with crossbows that can FIRE UNDERWATER :raise:
- everything you care about is amphibious except the pearl mages and maybe the triton cavalry

No blood access outside of a pretender, which is a bit of a ding in LA in particular, but some of their mages will come out monstrous, they can build very flexible communions, and the cap-only awe infantry are pretty great for early expansion.

jBrereton posted:

Also when [the cap casters] marry they get a boost to H3, so between them and your prophet you have at least 3 smiters to fight off a PG rush with.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just for giggles, the hypothetical maximum spell paths out of the box for Erytheian

Princesses: 3F 1A 3W 2E 1S 1(AES)
Princes: 3F 1A 2W 1E 3S 1(AWE)

which will happen one in 65536 recruitments

in general I like the princes better because their base non-fire path is astral rather than water

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 29, 2017

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

eonwe posted:

It's like Warhammer Tabletop but as a video game

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

boho posted:

Looks awesome. Does this work in 5?

Yes.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

eonwe posted:

You'll be glad of it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i can't wait to buy dom 5 when i have actual money!!!

and then make more pd!!!!!!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Your pd's performance is now tracked in the battle report greatly enhancing gameplay.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Your pd's performance is now tracked in the battle report greatly enhancing gameplay.

god bless illwinter for giving us players what we REALLY want

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

You can take achingly close to full scales with a blood fountain now, which further helps scalesers (1 negative scale, such as heat/cold, will get you O3/P3/G3/L3/M3 imprisoned with some dom)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

god bless illwinter for giving us players what we REALLY want

:lol:

It actually is useful knowledge, but, well, Kitfox.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
gracious illwinter have returned kitfox to us

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quite stretched out posted:

gracious illwinter have returned kitfox to us

also unscripted archers are smarter little fuckers than before

which benefits pd, obviously

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 29, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
By dominions six the province defense will be available for recruiting after a particularly good battle.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also unscripted archers are smarter little fuckers than before

which benefits pd, obviously

Yeah they pick targets better, although moving units seem to be able to outpace incoming projectiles which is dumb. Arrows should move a lot faster now that you can dodge them.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I was surprised to find Ruski werebears with the 7E bless to be remarkably durable - way more than I expected. Long live Erthsnek!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any compelling reason for me to care about production-related scales when playing as a race like e.g. Lemuria that doesn't produce units the conventional way? Obviously Magic and Luck scales still matter, but as far as I can tell there's no reason for me to not go 3 Sloth/Turmoil/Heat Scale and take the -income/supply/resource hits. If I'm playing as a Blood Fountain for example, that gives me 985 design points to play with and I can then take 10 Domain, 3 Luck/Magic scales and have 598 design points left over for magic paths.

I think the only downsides I'd have to deal with as Lemuria are:
-3 Unrest which is easy to counteract in the long run with defense score
-0.60% growth which means 0.6% fewer people being born to later die and come back as ghosts?
Less gold for buying defense score and castles which would be the biggest problem, but since I'm not spending it on units maybe it would work anyway?

Is there something really obvious that I'm missing here? Despite playing Dom4 a lot I still have no clue how these games actually work

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 29, 2017

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
^ you pretty much read it correctly, gold scales dont matter at all for lemuria since their dominion kills the poo poo out of everything anyway. tank it for design points. Also probably take cold over hot since it improves your commanders chill effect.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Can't wait for Dominions 5 nationgen. poo poo is going to be off the chain.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Discord link don't work.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Already got 12 hours in this after going through a dom4 phase a while back

I had heard that you could now queue up movement across multiple turns but I can't figure out how.

I had barely started learning what magic was good in 4, any knowledgeable dudes know whats good in 5?

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
To queue more orders (movement at least) hold alt then click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
By default, multiple turn move orders aren't enabled in the preferences for some reason. Turn that poo poo on.